• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Strange development. As MLB publish the game on Xbox, but Sony still make it, I'm not even going to pretend I understand how this kind of deal would work.

Maybe this is a trade for Starfield release in ps5

Even if these kinds of deals worked like that, it would not be a good trade for Microsoft.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So it turns out Sony will put their games day one on a subscription service.

Crazy!

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
You know Game Pass is where it's at when former Sony exclusives are dropping on Game Pass on day one.

Holy shit this is one hell of a time line.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A surprise, but a welcome one. Absolutely not something I expected to wake up to. Was excited to buy it for my Xbox after years of getting it on PS. Thanks for footing the bill MS

Mar 8, 2018
At some stage you start to wonder if publishers get more protective with putting their games on Game Pass because Xbox users stop buying new games as they're just overwhelmed with Game Pass releases. I'm certainly second guessing all purchases way more now and multiple games which I would have bought, I'm just holding off because I have too much. A couple even came to Game Pass instead!

I think you overrate how many games the average person buys in a given year, let alone a given console cycle. In January 2020, the software attach rate for PS4 was about 11 games (physical and digital), and the console had been out for a little over six years at that point. That's less than 2 games a year. People are hardly overwhelmed with new games if that's the case. This forum and other gaming spaces where people buy more than a dozen games a year on release date is a severe outlier.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Gamepass keeps winning. So glad I decided to pick up both a PS5 and XSX. PS4 was my main, but XSX is going to be this gen with Gamepass, loving my elite controller more than the DualSense and liking the UI more.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft out here saving me $130 in April on day one launches between this and Outriders. Loving Game Pass right now.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
because Publisher can do this if they want to, then devs make the game but the publishers have the final say on where the game goes
And Sony is still the publisher. MLB aren't, they likely have distribution rights for Xbox/other platforms in the future, but they aren't publishing it internally, it's why there's a big PS Studios logo there, that''s Sony's publishing side.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
So Xbox is clearly willing to pay Sony a cut on putting this on GP, along with 30% sold on copies. My guess is GP comes to PS5 (excluding 360 and OG Xbox games, unless streamed) by the end of this gen.

edit: I see now MLB is the publisher outside of PS. I'm less excited about the future now but this is still huge. How long does Sony have to be obligated to develop the IP?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony, when they could depending on their deal with MLB, just gives MLB the rights to the Show IP, and has the studio work on something else. It's not like MLB would ever skip PlayStation, and I'm sure they pay to set up or contract another studio to take the reigns
From the talk in this thread I'm not even sure Sony is publishing the Xbox version it might be the MLB directly.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Either Jimbo got those bags of money or this could have been an independent MLB decision lol Either way it makes PS look pretty bad in this situation in terms of optics.

I think this also pretty much confirms the new Madden will be day one on Game Pass.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The Show 21 is crossplay too is it not? Basically, there is really no reason to think about getting this on PS5 if you own both consoles. (Though it is supposed to have some DualSense features.)
Yes they have said it has cross play and supposedly game progress will transfer as well.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about that. MLB is publishing the game (on Xbox at least) it seems. So Sony doesn't have much to say about it.
I'm not sure Sony will get any check from this deal, but they will probably get a better cut because of the better revenues.
It's really interesting to see anyway, would love to know how it happened.
They have to be getting some money.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I will be interested to see what the player base difference is if that is something that we can find out. If more people are playing this on Xbox then that is a massive fucking L for Sony. I never liked the game so I am not going to play it regardless but Sony just keeps getting dunked on by things like BC and GP.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan:
We have had this conversation before -- we are not going to go down the road of putting new releases titles into a subscription model. These games cost many millions of dollars, well over $100 million, to develop. We just don't see that as sustainable.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I saw Shinobi602's tweet about his and assumed it was an April fools one from yesterday just showing up. Wild that it's true.

I'm not really in to baseball but MLB is one of those games I was always curious about trying on PS4 but never enough to buy it. will definitely give it a go on gamepass. Just checked and it includes the Series S/X versions too? sweet!

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I was literally hovering over the special edition yesterday, but decided I could wait till next week to buy. LOL 🤣

Me too. I'm kinda back into baseball this year and was looking at the very same version of the game, I decided to wait as a Canadian paying out $100 for a single game gives me the sweats lol.

So once again, thank you Microsoft for helping me make up my mind. And that Tom Warren tweet has me incredibly excited for what else is to come sports wise.

Indeed, Sony comes out looking out of sorts with all their GamePass hyperbole with this announcement.

h3ro

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling, Platform Warring
Playstation Plus is a shambles.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo that not profitable argument can die right?
If your direct competition is cool with it?

wow that's nuts

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. This is fucking nuts. Things went from a good deal for Xbox to a kinda bad deal for PlayStation (in that $70 seems like a harder sell than free with a subscription including a fuckton of other games and more to come - except to pretty much only those who just buy this game and nothing else). And from a Sony studio at that.