• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Metacritic: 85
OpenCritic: 85

CheatCC: 4.7/5
MLB the Show 19 has a lot to offer. If someone has a hankering for a new sports game, it is here with easy to understand controls and tips and enough modes to let you quickly get started. If you know what you're in for with the series, then the new March to October and Moments modes will give you chances to see what sports legends' lives were like or take a specific team to victory over the course of a season. If it is all new, you have plenty of quick play, simulation, and extended modes that will let you prove yourself, live the life of a player, manage a team, create a team, and generally succeed. It's a robust game that will keep people in the game throughout 2019 and beyond.

AOTF: 4.5/5
MLB The Show 19 introduces two of the best additions to the series in years with the very easy to pick up and play March to October and Moments modes that make the game a perfect companion to have for the rest of the baseball season and beyond.

IGN: 8.7/10
MLB The Show 19 continues the series' slow march of progress, though with a bigger step this year than last. Moments and March to October offer fresh ways to experience the outstanding gameplay, complete with the refinements on the defensive side of the ball.

PSU: 8.5/10
MLB The Show 19 takes itself through the paces and comes out improved and enhanced quite well. The game itself is still missing a few features to make it truly potent. The franchise delivers a beautiful, streamlined product each and every year, and 2019 is no exception.

Forbes: 8.5/10
On the positive side, the stellar gameplay that has long been associated with the series is again, even better than it was last year. The slow and steady improvement to visuals continues as Sony tinkers with lighting and textures. Diamond Dynasty continues to grow and it has become the best collector mode in any sports video game. On the negative side, the franchise mode and Road to the Show are integral parts of The Show experience and haven't seen much improvement. Luckily, both were already fun, but how long can Sony continue to deliver such small improvements to key modes? At least one more year.

App Trigger: 8.5/10
MLB The Show 19 still offers some fun baseball gameplay that's both engaging to learn and rewarding to master, yet it isn't too different from what's come before. Road to the Show is still worth the price of admission alone, and those who love Diamond Dynasty will get plenty of mileage with this year's offering thanks to Moments and March to October.

Gameblog.fr: 8/10
A little more attractive to newcomers, MLB The Show 19 is an immersive simulation that shines with a dazzling atmosphere, a great gameplay ans some good content. But if you have been playing the former iteration, you'll probably think it's more of the same.

Gamereactor: 8/10
Everything is working like it should on the field and we really enjoy playing matches, but unfortunately, there's a lack of new features in Franchise Mode and Road to the Show.

Digital Trends: 4/5
MLB The Show 19 stands apart from last year's entry largely because of the excellent new March to October mode that brings a refreshing way to play through a whole season quickly. Playing through iconic events in baseball history in the Moments mode is hit or miss, but it's a welcome addition nonetheless. Fielding is improved thanks to new player ratings and complementing animations, but overall the core gameplay is quite familiar. Sadly, Road to the Show, Franchise, and Diamond Dynasty, while still great modes, don't turn the wheel.

Screen Rant: 4/5
A little more attractive to newcomers, MLB The Show 19 is an immersive simulation that shines with a dazzling atmosphere, a great gameplay ans some good content. But if you have been playing the former iteration, you'll probably think it's more of the same.

Gaming Age: 3.5/5
If you want a true-to-life baseball experience, this is almost certainly it. But when you get so close to doing everything right, what you do wrong stands out more. With MLB The Show's track record, I have no doubt that, come MLB The Show 20, they'll fix the niggling little issues that prevent MLB The Show 19 from being a truly great game — but for now, those issues still exist, and they're what prevent the game from making the jump from very good to great.

USgamer: Unscored
As you can probably tell I'm feeling really positive about this year's version. It feels sharper and more polished than in years past, and its multitude of solo and multiplayer modes are a great example of how to make a sports sim feel rewarding and connected.

Last edited:

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I would have liked to play the game this year, but there are just so many other things taking up my time.

18 being such a dumpster fire put me off of buying it this year, but apparently this edition is really good.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
been playing it for awhile and the retuned fantasy draft AI is nuts. Been really fun with a buddy creating franchise lineups and seeing how massively different they are compared to last year. AI will think much, much longer term.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nice.wish I liked baseball or any sport game for that matter. Nice score nontheless

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best baseball & MLB The Show so far. Like.... it's incredible! Go get it if you like baseball ;)
If someone hasn't ever really played this series and started with 19, would they be overwhelmed?
Imo no. My best friend started it a few days ago. Just give yourself a little bit time and you will love it.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont understand how MLB always reviews great and sells great but somehow I have never seen any marketing for it.

Is the marketing restricted to american TV?

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got this for the first time since 2011, it's been really fun jumping back in.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to pick this up...Kat's writeup is pretty good this year, and sometimes yeah it takes years for a game feature to finally "make sense" to put it, even if it seems obvious from the start.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I grabbed 17 a couple of years ago based on childhood nostalgia, the major hook for me was the Retro Mode which was akin to Ken Griffey Jr on SNES that I loved way back, but I ended up enjoying the core gameplay (set to casual settings, of course) a lot more. I don't follow any sports or play sports games often anymore.

Almost got last years iteration due to having such a great time with 17. Tempted again this year. March to October might be something pretty great for a casual like me.

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
This game is crazy good this year. Honestly, wasn't gonna get it after last year's game. Reminds me of 13', which was my favorite.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Quality baseball game, as always. Sony San Diego really has this down to a science at this point.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Love the new additions to RTTS, March to October is really cool, Diamond Dynasty is the only Ultimate Team/Card Collecting sports game thing I don't hate. The game is great, just wish Franchise mode got more love. The last couple years were slightly down for me but this is peak Show overall.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I friend and I were just reminiscing about the baseball games we grew up with like Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded, R.B.I., Hardball... Now, while I've fallen out of love for sports in general, I've seriously considered picking this up on nostalgia alone. I do grab Madden and the occasional NBA 2k, but it has probably been close to two decades since I've played a baseball game.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Ugh

I don't really have time for sports games anymore but the Braves are good again. Dammit I don't know what to do.

Oct 25, 2017
Having no OT for this game is a cryin' shame, even though it's understandable.

Last year's version was the first baseball game I had played since the GameCube days, and so far '19 is even better than '18. But good lord do I suck at hitting! That has *kind of* been zapping the fun out of things, but I'm slowly improving.

Also, what's up with the controller sometimes rumbling nonstop when on the mound or in the batter's box waiting for a pitch? I can't tell if it's supposed to indicate an important in-game moment or what, but it's really distracting and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The top quality ps4 exclusives just keep on coming. Hopefully Days Gone joins the 80+ club later this month.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see an OT for the game so figured I'd ask here. Never played the show but have been wanting to try it out. Should I jump on 18 or dive straight into 19?

Oct 28, 2017
Having no OT for this game is a cryin' shame, even though it's understandable.

Last year's version was the first baseball game I had played since the GameCube days, and so far '19 is even better than '18. But good lord do I suck at hitting! That has *kind of* been zapping the fun out of things, but I'm slowly improving.

Also, what's up with the controller sometimes rumbling nonstop when on the mound or in the batter's box waiting for a pitch? I can't tell if it's supposed to indicate an important in-game moment or what, but it's really distracting and I can't figure out how to disable it.

That rumble means it's a high pressure moment, a point in the game where an out or a hit could potentially decide the outcome. Unfortunately, there's no setting to turn it off in game, you would have to disable vibration altogether in settings -> devices -> controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this can be the OT?

Just pulled a diamond from the headliners pack you get from doing the Sony partners moments......I got super excited when I saw Angels Stadium but it was just Andrelton Simmons :(

Every damn year I seem to pull the lowest cost diamond lol, I hope my next one is better

Last edited:

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone outside North America and Asia even watches baseball
0btR08J.png