• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the hexes at the end was more hype-killing than I was expecting. I wish they would change it up some. After grinding them out the last couple years, I don't think I want to do it again.

Looks like some interesting changes to RttS though, judging by the short clips.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I wonder if my PS4 can survive playing this for a couple of months. It already sounds like a jet engine when gaming...

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I was super down on 18. I used to be into Diamond Dynasty and last year was just insane and overwhelming. Didn't like what they did to Road To The Show and Franchise mode didn't really change. So I'm very hesitant to get this full price when I saw it drop in price a lot through the year. I would really need to see a lot of gameplay improvements and franchise updates to buy it day one. Which is a huge shame, because it's the only sports franchise I bought day 1 for the past 11 years.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
With Spring Training just around the corner we are so happy to finally show off the first gameplay trailer for MLB The Show 19. Did you catch all the new feature teases and legends showcased throughout the video? Don't sweat it if you didn't — we'll give them all a proper reveal soon.

46988726261_11a5939a90_k.jpg

2019 Twitch Stream Schedule

One of the activities the development team looks forward to every year are the Twitch livestreams. It's a great opportunity for us to show our faithful fans what we've been working on to makes this year's game the best ever. This year we have seven pre-launch streams packed with content running the gamut of our feature set. These include two brand new modes "March To October" and "Moments".
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/02/05/mlb-the-show-19-watch-the-gameplay-reveal-trailer/

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The Harper Major League Baseball Costume is going to be Mid Season DLC.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the hexes at the end was more hype-killing than I was expecting. I wish they would change it up some. After grinding them out the last couple years, I don't think I want to do it again.

Looks like some interesting changes to RttS though, judging by the short clips.

I haven't played The Show in a few years, what are the hexes?

Road to the Show changes look interesting and more RPG-like?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Is it just me or have sports games (in terms of graphical fidelity) stagnated in recent generations?

I remember back in the Xbox 360/PS3 era they were quite the dominant force in terms of setting the graphical bar (fight night, NBA and the "sweat tech" ) where as this gen nothing really seems to have improved?

Is that just me thinking that?

Other than that it looks pretty damn good tbh.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
They need new animations and a new commentary team. The swing animation last year was odd due to the fact the bat would stop swinging for a split second just before contact with the ball

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played The Show in a few years, what are the hexes?

Road to the Show changes look interesting and more RPG-like?

It's the main single-player component of their Diamond Dynasty mode. It's basically set up like risk, where you move your pieces around a hexagonal board of the US, taking over territory and strongholds held by the other teams in the league.

It's neat if you've never done it before, but it all plays out more or less the same every time, and was virtually unchanged last year. As someone who has played the last few games, it's gotten really stale.

I think for as good as The Show is, it's really best enjoyed buying a copy once every three or four years.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
road to the show adding in that 2k stuff while most definitely keeping the bullshit microtransactions out

Has been the most friendly consumer sports title and will probably stay that way. thank god for San Diego Studios

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's neat if you've never done it before, but it all plays out more or less the same every time, and was virtually unchanged last year. As someone who has played the last few games, it's gotten really stale.

Strong disagree. The additions of Conquest Extreme and Legacy were great. Conquest offered a ton of new challenge this year.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Another commentary addition/change. I wonder if they are adding or replacing. Maybe Matt Vasgersian is out. He's been in every single edition of The Show, plus the last MLB (2006 for the 2005 season) game prior to the title change (MLB 06: The Show for the 2006 season). That's a long time.

MLB The Show 17 added Dan Plesac and Harold Reynolds, however, Reynolds was replaced by Mark DeRosa in MLB The Show 18. MLB 11 is the only edition at this point to have a four-man team.

I wonder if they took any notice of the awesome Madden commentary the past two years where they bring in the announcers each week to record commentary revolving around current events in the season.

Edit- Someone asked about this on PSBlog. Ramone from SSD said it's an addition. It'll be a four-man team once more.

Assuming the fourth commentator is from MLB Network, here is a list of MLB Network personalities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLB_Network_personalities

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Unlike EA no one is stopping any sort of competition in the baseball game market.

EA isn't stopping anything either.

And it might not be the case any more, but MLB wanting exclusive licensing deals in the wake of the NFL is what killed baseball games off in the first place. The Show only survived because it was immune.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Road to the Show has not been good the past couple years.
Hopefully the changes this time are meaningful.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
EA isn't stopping anything either.

And it might not be the case any more, but MLB wanting exclusive licensing deals in the wake of the NFL is what killed baseball games off in the first place. The Show only survived because it was immune.
The Show survived because it was better than MLB 2K. Just like NBA 2K killed off the terrible NBA Live for awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics aren't anything special because it's a yearly release

I hope they took souvenirs and immortals out but left Conquest Extreme

If I have to spend hours putting in buy orders on team hats I may just not get the game

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
The Show survived because it was better than MLB 2K. Just like NBA 2K killed off the terrible NBA Live for awhile.

The Show also survived because the MLB did a weird deal where 2K had the exclusive third party license, not just outright exclusive. If it'd have been outright exclusive like the NFL deal, then The Show dies regardless of how good the games were.

That exclusive deal was such a terrible decision. MVP was a more fun game at the time and it just felt like 2K trying to take some sort of revenge over Madden's exclusivity. We're all kinda lucky that they ultimately tried to do their revenge on the cheap and downgraded it to the 3rd party exclusive thing that let The Show live.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Never played this game, old entries like 17 are fine to start? Don't want to pay full price without knowing if I will like it

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Is it just me or have sports games (in terms of graphical fidelity) stagnated in recent generations?

I remember back in the Xbox 360/PS3 era they were quite the dominant force in terms of setting the graphical bar (fight night, NBA and the "sweat tech" ) where as this gen nothing really seems to have improved?

Is that just me thinking that?

Other than that it looks pretty damn good tbh.

They have stagnated because there is no competition. They are all stuck in licensing hell with respective companies.

Oct 27, 2017
People were pretty down on 18 right?

People were mostly down on how hitting online was inconsistent and hitting in general favored power over contact. A lot of people also weren't too thrilled with the souvenir system (items to collect to help unlock Diamond Dynasty players). The concept of Immortal players also doesn't seem to be too popular, since it created a small pool of players who are clearly better than everyone else, causing most teams in Diamond Dynasty to be pretty much the same. They also removed online franchise (which I suspect won't be back this year either) and a proper season mode. And offline franchise mode was stagnant. All that said, it is still among the best sports games out there, and I played 18 a ton.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Another commentary addition/change. I wonder if they are adding or replacing. Maybe Matt Vasgersian is out. He's been in every single edition of The Show, plus the last MLB (2006 for the 2005 season) game prior to the title change (MLB 06: The Show for the 2006 season). That's a long time.

MLB The Show 17 added Dan Plesac and Harold Reynolds, however, Reynolds was replaced by Mark DeRosa in MLB The Show 18. MLB 11 is the only edition at this point to have a four-man team.

I wonder if they took any notice of the awesome Madden commentary the past two years where they bring in the announcers each week to record commentary revolving around current events in the season.

Edit- Someone asked about this on PSBlog. Ramone from SSD said it's an addition. It'll be a four-man team once more.

Assuming the fourth commentator is from MLB Network, here is a list of MLB Network personalities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLB_Network_personalities

5-letter first name, 7-letter last name, who could it be? Likely not, say, managers like Davey Johnson or Terry Collins or Ozzie Guillen, or analysts like Peter Gammons.

Looking at current broadcasters/analysts from Wikipedia:

Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Brian Roberts
Jason Benetti
Chuck Swirsky
Larry Dierker
Steve Physioc
Steve Stewart
Jared Sandler
Kevin McAlpin
Ernie Johnson (already does NBA 2K)