• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
Rivera celebrated for being the first unanimous selection while being worth the same WAR as the "worst hall of Famer ever" in Harold Baines.

Using Fangraphs WAR, they are around the same value, but using baseball reference's WAR solution, Rivera has about 20 more WAR than Baines. Quantifying the true value of a relief pitcher is difficult, and none of the WAR solutions available to the public make use of things like WPA or other leverage-based metrics. There is certainly more value in Rivera's overall career than just what his WAR shows. This is without even mentioning how unbelievable he was in the postseason, with a huge sample size of something like 150 innings too.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Every single one of them deserves to be in the HOF.

Sad about Halladay not able to be inducted in person.

Happy that Rivera was the first unanimous.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's an awesome class. All some of the best of the best. No guys overrated because of saves or RBI or whatever other bullshit.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Piazza was a lousy catcher but an incredible hitter. Jr. would have been unanimous but for his injuries and Reds years.

Players not being voted unanimously to this point had nothing to do with their actual production, it had to do with sanctimonious voters having a stick up their ass. On production alone, despite their flaws anybody who didn't vote for Piazza or Griffey for the Hall of Fame is, how do you say, a fucking dumbass.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Players not being voted unanimously to this point had nothing to do with their actual production, it had to do with sanctimonious voters having a stick up their ass. On production alone, despite their flaws anybody who didn't vote for Piazza or Griffey for the Hall of Fame is, how do you say, a fucking dumbass.

Sure if you look at it in a vacuum but once the writers decided to apply an arbitrary standard then it makes sense that any minor flaws were magnified.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Griffey should have been unanimous as well as Maddux. Those two are the only ones that stick out to me before Rivera.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sure if you look at it in a vacuum but once the writers decided to apply an arbitrary standard then it makes sense that any minor flaws were magnified.

Those flaws were not the reason voters weren't voting in guys unanimously. Piazza could have been an elite defender and he wouldn't have been unanamous. The whole unanimous thing was a pure HoF Voter circle jerk thing that they decided today to bestow upon Mariano Rivera because he was so well liked. The voters would essentially collude to prevent any player, regardless of how deserving, from being voted in unanimously because for some reason 70 years ago Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous selection. It had nothing to do with actual on field merits.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Halladay got in and sad he didn't live to accept it.

Is Pettitte getting held back due to admitting he took steroids? He's a lot closer to the 300 wins/3000k's benchmarks that aren't possible anymore. I would have thought he and Halladay would have had a whole lot closer vote total. Sure Halladay probably got fewer "I won't vote for someone first time" morons due to dying but 85% vs 10% is a massive difference.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Halladay got in and sad he didn't live to accept it.

Is Pettitte getting held back due to admitting he took steroids? He's a lot closer to the 300 wins/3000k's benchmarks that aren't possible anymore. I would have thought he and Halladay would have had a whole lot closer vote total. Sure Halladay probably got fewer "I won't vote for someone first time" morons due to dying but 85% vs 10% is a massive difference.

Andy is already sort of a borderline case, so the PED stuff probably sinks him completely when you look at the way Clemens and Bonds are treated. Roy has a much more impressive 7 year peak/JAWS than Andy. Their WAR is close only because Andy pitched 500 more innings.

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember how bad it hurt as a kid to have Mussina leave for the Yankees. People forget how good the Orioles were in the mid 90s and that the Yankees and Orioles were the bigger rivalry at the time than Boston. People were really pissed about Mussina. I still don't think he's had his number retired. If he goes in as an Oriole, they probably right that.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Halladay was a throwback and a quintessential modern pitcher at the same time. Every time he went , he legit aimed for 9 innings. But he was also 6 foot 6 power pitcher who pitched on a downward plane with movement

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Oh wow the Writers finally got over themselves and did it. Well deserved .
Also Edgar ❤️❤️❤️❤️ He was one of my favorites

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah MOOOOSSSEEEE be in. Also congratulations to Mariano, if anyone was deserving to be unanimous it was him.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Roy Halladay's 2010 season was unreal.

21-10
2.44 ERA
NL Cy Young
1 Perfect Game
1 Postseason No-Hitter

RIP Legend
dailynews.jpg

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Griffey should have been unanimous as well as Maddux. Those two are the only ones that stick out to me before Rivera.
Plenty of players should have been unanimous before, Mo. We're talking about all-time top 10 players.

Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez were voted in a few years back. Two of the most dominant pitchers off all-time who pitched during the steroid era and neither were unanimous.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year clinched that neither Bonds nor Clemens will get in within the 15 year window. There is enough of a fraction of the voters who aren't going to share their votes and won't vote for Bonds/Clemens that getting to the 75% mark is near impossible. Schilling has torpedoed his own campaign by being a moron and a bigot, and while it's easier to see him getting in than Bonds/Clemens, he's making zero progress and digging his heel in deeper.

The system needs changing, the ballots are stupidly congested with guys. Lance Berkman just got knocked off the ballot entirely on try #1. 56 career WAR, 144 career wRC+, one shot. There's 20 guys that are arguable.
Rivera celebrated for being the first unanimous selection while being worth the same WAR as the "worst hall of Famer ever" in Harold Baines.
Baines literally played in 1500 more games than Mo did. Him having a comparable career WAR from any of the 3 measurements is a terrible argument and if anything makes him look even worse in comparison that he couldn't beat out a relief pitcher and his best year was never close to Mo's best years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Roy Halladay would have won 300 games.

I don't care if that's illogical, he was insanely good.

I doubt it. He would have had to pitch another 7 seasons if he won 13-14 games a year. That's barely below what he was averaging for his career, even if that included 3 half seasons. So he would likely be around 43 if he were to hit 300 wins. That would have been in 2020.

Mussina had 30 games to 300 and he was 39, and he had two really good seasons at age 37 and 39. I have a really hard time imagining Halladay being an effective pitcher at 40, and an even harder time at 42.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I see Mo's stats, I am in disbelief. His ERA+ has been making the rounds today and it is a ridiculous 205. The next closest person isn't even the same ballpark as Mo. Then you look what he did during the post season and it's just amazing. He pitched roughly 2 seasons worth of innings for a RP in the post season with a 0.70 ERA.

Overall I am very happy with the class this year. I grew up watching Doc and Moose pitch against the Yankees and with Moose eventually with the Yankees. It is nice to see some of the voters not punishing players for not getting to certain counting stats.

Also happy for Edgar Martinez. Voters need to get over the DH stigma.

I'd really like to hear from these voters excluding suspected PED users like Bonds and Clemens justify it given the HOF's inlcusion of Bud Selig who I'd argue was huge part of the problem as the commissioner and who sat on his hands and did nothing about PEDs for a long time.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
I'd really like to hear from these voters excluding suspected PED users like Bonds and Clemens justify it given the HOF's inlcusion of Bud Selig who I'd argue was huge part of the problem as the commissioner and who sat on his hands and did nothing about PEDs for a long time.

Verducci was on the local radio talk show this morning and in short, voters like him really don't have much of an argument beyond the same bullshit of upholding some flimsy appearance of integrity of the Hall. You can't vote in the managers/commissioner who reaped the benefits of these players, and still refuse to vote them in.

Nearly all the greats used amphetamines which I'd argue gives a comparable advantage as steroids. Mickey Mantle has ties to steroids. The list goes on and on of cheaters in the Hall. What integrity are they trying to uphold? It's a joke.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
The hall is a damn museum. Leaving out the most important figures from over a decade of baseball is beyond dumb. Hell, make them apologize for taking steroids during their induction speeches as a condition of being inducted if it's such a big deal.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm happy for Halladay's family, and him, himself. He was a total class act on top of being an incredible pitcher. Someone who cared a lot about this organization.

It's such a shame that he won't be there to receive the honour.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the baseball hall of fame for letting that clown Bud Selig go in but Bonds is still waiting.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Guys like Manny and Sheffield will never sniff the Hall while guys like Bonds and Clemens are still waiting.

David Ortiz should also get the Manny treatment.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Halladay going in as a Jay would be a dream come true for me.

2003 was my first season of MLB baseball as a fan, and he was awesome here in Toronto.

His sudden death was such a devastating occurrence.

Last edited:

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Absolute bullshit that a reliever gets the first 100% vote.

Says a lot about the hall that one of it's least valuable members gets 100% of the vote while the best player of all time and one of the greatest pitchers of all time can't even get in.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Halladay's wife announced that the family has decided that Roy's plaque will not no team logo on the hat. And fans on both sides seem to be losing their shit about it to varying degrees. No idea why fans give so much of a shit about which logo appears on a plaque they will likely never see after it's unveiled. The Hall of Fame is an individual honor, but shitty fans seem to want to make it about their team.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know there are plenty of people in the Hall of Fame that don't deserve to be, but was Mussina ever a top pitcher in baseball for a given year? Dude finished in the top 4 in the Cy Young, one time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I know there are plenty of people in the Hall of Fame that don't deserve to be, but was Mussina ever a top pitcher in baseball for a given year? Dude finished in the top 4 in the Cy Young, one time. Pass.

Is Cy Young voting the only way to determine whether or not someone is a "top pitcher"? If only there were another way...

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And when you look at his wins... him being inducted is a travesty!!!!!

Is Cy Young voting the only way to determine whether or not someone is a "top pitcher"? If only there were another way...

Isn't there an overlap between Hall of Fame voters and voters for Cy Youngs? Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

I've looked at WAR as well, and if that were the case, Curt Schilling would be in based on Moose's numbers. But being an asshole instead of a completely boring person apparently makes a difference as far as getting into the Hall.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
The only controversial thing about Mussina's HOF case is that he wasn't inducted sooner (he also finished top 4 in CY Young voting more than one time if that is the only bizarrely arbitrary metric we're using). Curt Schilling will get in eventually, but if the voters want to watch him pick Twitter fights with fake Sidney Ponson accounts while he languishes for a little longer then more power to them.