• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure how much of it'll go through but MLB discussing ways to make the season happen. To me, most notably, an electronic strike zone, seven innings, and no mound visits. All things that would be for the good of the game in the long run and I would like to see permanent. This really could make games under 2 hours for viewers, which would be amazing.

A lot of ideas being thrown around by a lot of the leagues, but these are pretty drastic:

via ESPN
you missed the craziest parts OP, quarantining players and staff together for the whole season

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you missed the craziest parts OP, quarantining players and staff together for the whole season

NBA also have a possible plan to put all the playoff players in Vegas for a playoffs
Quarantining in one location is the only solution, and Vegas is the only city the NBA is currently giving any kind of serious consideration, per an NBA source... Sending 16 teams to Las Vegas to play games in hollow arenas isn't ideal. But it could evolve into a fun, one-time event that would bring the game back and, more importantly, get the television revenue flowing. Players would likely resist the idea of decamping under one roof; LeBron James already has. But the bet is if it means the paychecks keep coming and a champion will be crowned, they will come around. Even without a team, Las Vegas has become a major NBA market. Soon, it could get even bigger.
www.cbssports.com

NBA could salvage season with truncated playoff tournament in Las Vegas, report says

A traditional postseason format seems out of the realm of possibility for the NBA

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The on-field mics are the only good idea. Everything else is just a poor attempt to push the season out of the gate.

I'd just readjust the schedule. Let's see some cold weather games in November and December.
they're gonna have to make changes if they want to play a season this year at this point. So as i think it was joe maddon said might as well go all out with changes for this season. try anything and everything to see if it works like automatic strike zones.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I didn't think anything could kill my interest in baseball, but there it is. I'm all for robot umps but the seven inning game is a deal breaker for me. Completely alters strategy and changes it into something else. Zero interest.

If I understood OP correctly, they aren't talking about changing the game to generally be 7-innings but rather using 7-inning double headers to catch up on lost time

7-inning games aren't unheard of already (weather)

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of this stuff is fine if they are looking to play exhibition games, but regular season games? Eh not sure this is my cup of tea.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Lifelong baseball fan here. It should've always been 7 innings anyway. The extreme play length is the reason I can't watch games in person. Can't be going home at midnight, let alone driving from Toronto at that hour.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's good. As long as they do it safely.

Baseball is a sport that is a little more virus-prone than basketball or football I'd imagine. Players are naturally spread out during most instances of play, only the defense touches the ball, they usually have a different ball for every at bat opportunity, and only a handful of players touch the ball on a given at bat... The pitcher, catcher, usually 2 fielders. As opposed to basketball where the ball moves between 10 people rapidly and of course bodily contact is required to play basketball.

If you are going 7 innings why not cut the schedule to 50 or 80 games

I suspect this change is being proposed so that they can pack a lot of double headers in... E.g., play from June to Sept, but with 3 double headers a week or something.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad list of changes, although I don't like 7 inning games. But if it's just for double-headers, I suppose I could swallow it.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
If I understood OP correctly, they aren't talking about changing the game to generally be 7-innings but rather using 7-inning double headers to catch up on lost time

7-inning games aren't unheard of already (weather)

That's not how I read it, it sounds like each day would be a scheduled 7-inning double-header. With the proposed tight schedule it would almost have to be that sort of sprint. And yeah we've had games as short as five innings that counted, but those weren't planned for...I don't know. I'm really not one of those "sanctity of the games" people, I love the idea of robot umps, I'd be more than happy with a pitch clock, etc., but this strikes me as an essentially fundamental change to the game itself, on the lines of changing base lengths to be 85 feet.

Granted, the game has changed a tremendous amount over the years, from the numbers of balls and fouls counting toward outs and so on, but roster construction and in-game management is built around some of these fundamental rules. It's a huge part of what I guess you would call the meta-game, and I guess that aspect of the game is more important to me than I realized.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Rob Manfred hates baseball and is going to use COVID-19 to push through all his baseball hating changes. He threw in robo balls and strikes to make people happy and hope they ignore all his other awful ideas.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Wait, 162 games per season? In what looks a six month stretch? What's this absurdity?

I mean, I knew baseball is a weird sport, but this sounds insane for a non-US guy.

Baseball is relatively low impact compared to other sports, so there isn't as much of a physical toll after a single game (except certain positions like pitcher/catcher where the game is pretty hard on their bodies). As a result, teams usually play 5-6 games a week.

Fans aren't expected to watch every game, due to the number of games and length of games. This is why you'll often see games scheduled during the daytime on weekdays when everyone is at work.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest challenges to starting up any sports season is what is going to inevitably happen when one player tests positive or there's an outbreak on one team. Leagues have to come up with a contingency for that before starting play. Does the season automatically get cancelled? Does that team get 2 week quarantine? Does the team they played most recently also get quarantined...? There's a lot to think about and plan for.

The MLBPA doesn't represent minor league players, but I agree that they likely can't afford to go unpaid. It brings up another question though -- how is this going to work unless they get all the minor league affiliates on board?

That's a good question, they may treat the full season like spring training or the August roster expansion. Have the expanded roster all season. I don't think having a full farm system will be possible, from a revenue side, technology side, and personnel. MLB clubs can kinda control who is coming on and off the team, but when you also have minor leaguers who move around a lot during the season, it opens up more opportunity for one guy to bring an infection on board a whole team.

OP
OP
lt519

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
all of this is really stupid. just hold off on sports right now

Completely disagree, if they can restart an entire industry it's a good thing. A lot of people missing paychecks right now because sports aren't being played from the multi-millionaire all-stars all the way through the guy that rakes the field and paints the lines.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, 162 games per season? In what looks a six month stretch? What's this absurdity?

I mean, I knew baseball is a weird sport, but this sounds insane for a non-US guy.

IT'S PART OF THE PASTTIMEEEE...

But yeah, baseball is weird. That long season with games 5/7 nights a week is part of what made it "America's pastime." I didn't grow up a strong baseball fan, it was probably my least favorite sport to play and watch as a kid, but baseball got me through some personal shit in my teens and 20s, mostly because it was on *every day* from April to October and you could set your watch to it. I think a lot of people, young and old, go through that relationship with baseball where you define your summers by having the TV on or going to the ballpark once a week. Tickets used to be cheap for MLB games, when I was in college Red Sox tickets were $14 for the bleachers and they were good then too and most games were sell outs. In small markets, tickets are basically free. When I was 18, going to a ball game was a great activity... I couldn't drink legally, so I remember tickets were $14 and the train was $4 round trip.

I don't really give a shit about baseball much anymore, it's the sport I follow the least, but it is one of those things that's kinda always there for you when you need it. If my wife and I get into an argument during the summer, I can reliably retreat to a room and turn on a baseball game any night of the week from April to October. There's not a ton of sports or TV like that.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Completely disagree, if they can restart an entire industry it's a good thing. A lot of people missing paychecks right now because sports aren't being played from the multi-millionaire all-stars all the way through the guy that rakes the field and paints the lines.
those ppl should be getting paid regardless because these are billion dollar organizations with deep-pocketed owners and players. fuck all of this. maintaining health is of most importance and not wasting resources ensuring millionaires don't get sick. fuck this shit and i miss sports more than anyone.

but not like this. manfried continues to be the absolute fucking worst.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami Marlins must hate this idea, as right now they are tied for first in the standings and all hitting and pitching categories.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Seven innings is terrible. Just play fewer games a day. The season is already going to be shortened.
Agree.

I would be more upset if 7 innings was a permanent change. If 7 innings and a few other 1 season rule changes is what it takes to get baseball, get them paid and above all the safety of everyone i am ok with changes. But, changing it to 7 next year or the year after when we are back to some normalcy that would ruin the game IMO. Imagine if NFL was cut a quarter or even 2. It's a trash idea.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think the differences in the two sports do play a role, but it wasn't funding. The PLL was really well funded and NBC threw a ton of production value at it.
I never heard about it and I actually used to enjoy watching MILL at times back in the day. Whatever NBC threw at it was a pittance compared to any sort of thing in MLB could/would do. An absolute drop in the ocean.

I don't really mind any of the stuff in the OP. Even as a lifelong diehard, baseball could probably use a bit of a refresh.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
The problems with baseball arent the game and i dont know why the league doesnt understand this.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There's already a lot of pent up demand for live professional sports. I think all of these ideas would be great in general to bring more people to baseball, but what do you do when one player gets the virus and the whole team needs to be quarantined during the season?

This is the million dollar question and really the reason why any plan to begin playing sports again is dumb.

They'll probably have to test everyone for the virus after every double header which is like 60-70 people? What happens when you actually get the virus and recover and have the antibodies and then you'll always test positive?

There are sports that work but they're not going to be team sports. Golf, tennis, and a lot of other individual sports should be more than fine if played without crowds.

Oct 25, 2017
I never heard about it and I actually used to enjoy watching MILL at times back in the day. Whatever NBC threw at it was a pittance compared to any sort of thing in MLB could/would do. An absolute drop in the ocean.
Sure dollar for dollar, what NBC did for the PLL was peanuts, but they did enough that it was a professional production (unlike what MLL put out.) They have last season up on NBC Gold for free right now apparently, so you could check it out. I'd recommend the Whipsnakes v Atlas game in Baltimore. Oh... and the PLL hasn't postponed/cancelled their 2020 season yet, they're still selling tickets for their May 29th opener in Boston.

Also... MILL (box) or MLL (field)? If MILL, good to see another geezer out there! (MILL rebranded to NLL ~25 years ago.)

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is the million dollar question and really the reason why any plan to begin playing sports again is dumb.

They'll probably have to test everyone for the virus after every double header which is like 60-70 people? What happens when you actually get the virus and recover and have the antibodies and then you'll always test positive?

There are sports that work but they're not going to be team sports. Golf, tennis, and a lot of other individual sports should be more than fine if played without crowds.

If they tested frequently (i.e. before each game on a daily basis), I could see that player being detected almost immediately and would then follow the normal protocol of two-week self-quarantine and be good-to-go after that. I don't think you'd need to test them anymore after that point. The science of getting it twice seems spotty at best and a very low risk in the scheme of things.

Oct 27, 2017
If they tested frequently (i.e. before each game on a daily basis), I could see that player being detected almost immediately and would then follow the normal protocol of two-week self-quarantine and be good-to-go after that. I don't think you'd need to test them anymore after that point. The science of getting it twice seems spotty at best and a very low risk in the scheme of things.

So we have a good idea about when people show positive for the virus? Is it immediately after contracting, or is there a delay?

If it's not detectable until sometime after infection, once you realize one player has it, the entire team is at risk

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article isn't clear, but I think it means that MLB intends to increase the number of double-headers, and those games will be played as 7-inning affairs.

I'm interested to hear how many extra double-header days they'll do, because they might have to let teams carry an extra pitcher, given that if you pitch 4 innings or 6, you still need five days between starts. You can't really compress "rest."

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So we have a good idea about when people show positive for the virus? Is it immediately after contracting, or is there a delay?

If it's not detectable until sometime after infection, once you realize one player has it, the entire team is at risk
That's a good question, I'm not sure myself and a quick google search didn't seem to have a clear answer how soon post-infection that testing would return a positive result. I agree it would need to be pre-contagious to be effective.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to add video-game-type rules to the game, might as well just have them play the video game for now.
I'm for this. Just have them play MLB The Show (or whatever the popular one is). If the players suck at it, then that just makes it all the more entertaining.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I can see them starting a runner at second in the 10th inning.

I definitely can't see them being prepared enough to implement the robotic strike zone though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm for this. Just have them play MLB The Show (or whatever the popular one is). If the players suck at it, then that just makes it all the more entertaining.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Oh god, no. The USL is having their teams play 1-v-1 Rocket League and some of the games are just painful to watch.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Doesn't the social distancing fall apart when someone is running around the bases and coming into contact with the opposition on first, second, etc?

Teriyaki

Oct 27, 2017
Is this how baseball evolved into blurnsball? Auto strike zone should have been a thing years ago.