• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if despite his overall season numbers if
r5MDC8O.png

is good enough to get someone to bite for a low rated but mlb bound prospect (aka someone that projects as a 5th starter in the majors ect)

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm more than fine with Hal being hands off and leaving baseball operations to the baseball people. I'm not fine with Hal being the cheapest owner in baseball. The reason we're going after the Sonny Grays (of course, Sonny being good before and after his time with the Yankees raises an entirely different set of organizational questions) and JA Happs of the world is because our entirely self-imposed fiscal austerity prevents us from getting the Justin Verlanders and Patrick Corbins of the world. There's no reason we can't both go out and get good pitchers with all those trust fund bucks and still keep a strong home-grown talent base and pipeline.

To succeed long term you need an owner who is involved. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not but letting the baseball people, who increasingly rely on too many formulas for player acquisition, make all the final decisions gets us to not picking up a Cole, or Corbin or Verlander.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I didn't have a problem with the Gray trade and Happ. Resigning Happ was reaching though. The larger problem is when the offseason pitching pool is so deep, SIGN SOMEONE. The Yankees have been crutching on CC for so long, and the utility of that has about reached an end.

There's been like a decade plus of pitchers coming to New York and sucking though, so I can see why they might be shy about pulling the trigger. Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Kei Igawa, Kevin Brown, Jose Contreas, Hideki Irabu, Javier Vasquez... the list of busts has been really long.

The list of succesful pitchers for any significant time is a lot shorter. It has basically been CC, Kuroda, Chien-Ming Wang preinjury, maybe Tanaka the first 3 years. Then after that the next most succesful guy is probably AJ Burnett? In conclusion, the Yankees are probably screwed once CC retires. Also sign more Asian pitchers, but pay the trainers more.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hearing NYY fans complain about not signing anyone makes me laugh. In 2013 the Twins signed Ricky Nolasco for 4/54. That was the BIGGEST signing in twins history. Ran a mid 5s era for two shit seasons.
Outside of Ervin Santana after Nolasco, the Twins have signed nobody, ever, until they went after the "mid tier" guys this year in Cruz/Marwin/Schoop/Cron

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It's the Yankees man. They currently only have one contract above 20 million this year, which is Tanaka (and Encarnacion, but obviously they don't owe all of that). And they're busy pinching pennies over giving Patrick Corbin another year and 20 million. Meanwhile throwing Happ 17 a million a year for 3 years. Heck, just pay for it with Ellsbury's injury insurance money.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Happ is a two year deal with a vesting option for a third, which he won't hit with the way he's pitching.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Happ just needs to hit 165 innings or 27 starts in 2020 for the third year to vest. He's probably on pace for the games started this year, if he pitches even slightly better he will probably hit the innings count too. I think it's more probable than not he hits those numbers in 2020, unless he continues declining.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Hopefully Ray gets traded today. Snakes don't have what it takes to win a playoff series, and they could use some prospects to bolster that top 10 farm system.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Jeez the twins were pissed about their trash offense last night and bounced back. Thanks Royals for finally getting some clutch at bats!

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hearing NYY fans complain about not signing anyone makes me laugh. In 2013 the Twins signed Ricky Nolasco for 4/54. That was the BIGGEST signing in twins history. Ran a mid 5s era for two shit seasons.
Outside of Ervin Santana after Nolasco, the Twins have signed nobody, ever, until they went after the "mid tier" guys this year in Cruz/Marwin/Schoop/Cron

So should the Yankees stop spending to make twins fans feel good? Well, they actually have these last few years. And it makes no sense for a team that is making money to be penny pinchers.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine running your 9 figure baseball operation where the motive isn't to win, but to act in response to another team.

I *hope* that's not what the Mets were doing, even if the thought was "we can still win AND hurt the Yankees". The Mets probably would win if they actually sought to do so as a function of being a MLB team, lol

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I for one think this was a great move. The Mets managed to get Stroman completely out of the Red Sox way, dude has always done well against the Sox.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Not seeing it. Mets actually did well.

Maybe. My family is mostly Mets fans. They tell me Kay has the potential to be the real deal and the most major league ready in their system. Also, Toronto would not deal Stroman to us if our package was equal to the Mets. We would've had to beat that. Last I read on Twitter was that Toronto was asking for Garcia.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
FUCK OFF INTO THE LITERAL SUN, SHATKINS. I FUCKING HATE YOU BASTARDS. NOT ONLY DO YOU TRADE THE HEART AND SOUL OF THE TEAM, BUT YOU DON'T EVEN GET A DECENT RETURN FOR HIM????

FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFF

THE FUCKING WORST. HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU BOTH NOT FIRED YET FOR BEING JUST FUCKING TERRIBLE. YOU'RE KILLING A TEAM I LOVE WITH YOUR IDIOCY. COME BACK, AA. ;____;

Status
Not open for further replies.