• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Answer is YES, major limitation is probably the displays themselves being so limited and expensive, ALSO DAT BOY IS THICC GAWD DAMN

EDIT: Linus as well

Last edited:

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Was about to post this myself, crazy that not enough people are talking about it on the ERA hardware discord or the 3080 thread.

It's insane the performance on Forza all things considered, card is a beast.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I think around mid gen the display price situation will be sorted, but only after a massive wave of hdmi 2.1 products.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Forza Horizon 4 is super efficient in 4K on 3080. In its benchmark, 4K + ultra across the board maxes at 70% perf. I'm not convinced that this performance is THAT much higher than what you'd get from the 3080 at 8K, particularly because the Control test shows upscaled 1440p struggling to maintain 60fps. I'm wary about these test results.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 is super efficient in 4K on 3080. In its benchmark, 4K + ultra across the board maxes at 70% perf. I'm not convinced that this performance is THAT much higher than what you'd get from the 3080 at 8K, particularly because the Control test shows upscaled 1440p struggling to maintain 60fps. I'm wary about these test results.
Some leaked benchmarks had it around 10%, I don't think the card is going to be a massive jump, should have just went with the titan branding but yeah.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Some leaked benchmarks had it around 10%, I don't think the card is going to be a massive jump, should have just went with the titan branding but yeah.

From the look of things, this is Nvidia's Vega 64. And the reasonably priced 3080 lets them get away with that, even if the market reads "almost double the cost of 3080" as "almost double the gaming perf." Nooooooooooooope.

EDIT: To clarify, I think Nvidia's messaging has mostly been on point about the kind of insane use case the 3090 unlocks, more on the production side of things than playing games. So I don't have a beef with its high price (considering how much fucking RAM it sports). And I think having Marcus open with "HEY WHOA LOOK AT CONTROL" might not be the best way to unify that messaging.

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
10% more performance 100% more money

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Sending a 3090 to MKBHD and having him be the first to preview it isn't actually a great sign for its performance capabilities over a 3080.

This is sly marketing through and through. Nvidia are smart. I'll definitely give them that

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Sending a 3090 to MKBHD and having him be the first to preview it isn't actually a great sign for its performance capabilities over a 3080.

This is sly marketing through and through. Nvidia are smart. I'll definitely give them that
I immediately went to check GN and Jay after I saw this thinking they sent out a wave, but yeah nope, just him.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The 3090 is the "infulencer" GPU of the lineup, from launch it was the "8K 8K wow 8K" card and budget high VRAM card for compute users who don't need business drivers or texas sized VRAM. So like, the entire titan line's history

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia is taking people for a ride with the 3090 pricing.

$800+ for 5% - 10% in performance. In some games that equals out to less than 10 fps difference. That's gonna be a yikes from me.

qcA94Sr.png

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
www.eurogamer.net

Digital Foundry: Let's play PC games at 8K resolution

Whether we like it or not - and let's face facts, it's probably the latter - 8K display technology is coming. 8K suppor…
Posting this because they managed to get 8K to run on a tandem setup of 1080Ti (in which frequently only one GPU was being utilized properly). It's not really a question of whether you can run games in 8K native, you definitely can. But if you use DLSS and a 3090 you will have an experience that looks and feels a lot better due to being able to hit a higher frame rate and higher settings overall since you're not rendering native.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

$800+ for 5% - 10% in performance. In some games that equals out to less than 10 fps difference. That's gonna be a yikes from me.

qcA94Sr.png

it's more of a creators card due to the huge increase of VRAM..

any users that's not a creator spending that much money probably on a 3090 needs to imbue some sense with him/herself.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
8k is a sweaty gimmick for this card to justify its existance in the gaming space - the performance is barely better than the 3080 but the vram might actually count here

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020

If Linus' video is anything to go by, they ran FH4 in high settings and Doom in nightmare settings without DLSS and Control + Death Stranding with DLSS.

Makes sense, the former 2 consistently run at well above 170-240fps in 4k at those settings on a 3080 or even 2080ti, so getting a stable 60 at 8k wouldn't be surprising. The latter 2 were at 1440/medium... Soooo....

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Huge ass card. Holy shit.

Why his in-game looks under 1080p lol

Linus' video is much better than MKBHD's.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

qcA94Sr.png

I think most people considering buying it probably know that. Its a bleeding edge card. Peoiple will pay a premium for a small percentage improvement just to know they have the fastest option.

In Linus' video he's running control at 1440p scaling up to 8k. What DLSS mode is that - performance? Is there a fixed ratio for the different modes?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Didn't the Titan justify its high price to professionals not just with VRAM but with increased double precision performance or something? Does the 3090 have that or is it not relevant anymore?