• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Link:

A good video on how if you have a business that is dependant on someone like Apple (or even Amazon/Android/Microsoft for that matter) how they can later come and undercut you without much thought.

Lock if old.

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Really good video. Cerberus App for Android is a similar "Killed by X" product, by Google.

So Cerberus was a location tracker for Android - find my phone basically. Google added that functionality to their Device Manager which allowed you to do it natively. But Google went a step further and removed it from the Google Play store, citing security concerns.

You can still use it, but you have to side load it. https://www.cerberusapp.com/downloads

That said there are other reasons to not use Cerberus these days, but don't think it was Google looking out for your best interests.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Apple is rarely an early innovator and much more frequently a polisher of shit into gold. They let others take the first couple of dives to see if the water is safe, and then they typically pull off some incredibly graceful shit.

It sucks, but what can you do? They make extremely high quality stuff most often,and people are willing to pay for quality.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't exactly seem like rocket science. If you are making a product in a new class on someone else's platform, there is a good chance that the platform holder is going to come in and outclass you with either more money or better engineering. How do you think SCUF feels about the Xbox Elite controller or Sony's PS4 Back Button?

One thing he strangely doesn't note here is that the slow erosion of TIle's network will ultimately harm Android/Google. But what are you supposed to do here? Using the inferior network would be dumb for Apple as well as users. In a number of industries that have completely failed to adopt/deploy universal standards, Apple is about as close as you can get to a standard. That's probably their greatest strength in a situation like this.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't exactly seem like rocket science. If you are making a product in a new class on someone else's platform, there is a good chance that the platform holder is going to come in and outclass you with either more money or better engineering. How do you think SCUF feels about the Xbox Elite controller or Sony's PS4 Back Button?

One thing he strangely doesn't note here is that the slow erosion of TIle's network will ultimately hard Android/Google. But what are you supposed to do here? Using the inferior network would be dumb for Apple as well as users. In a number of industries that have completely failed to adopt/deploy universal standards, Apple is about as close as you can get to a standard. That's probably their greatest strength in a situation like this.

That's an excellent point. In the early days of the widespread internet, standards were constantly sought and adopted. Then, everybody started swerving hard to walled gardens. This always ends up hurting the small, early innovators in the long run.

Apple, for all intents and purposes, is the standards department for technology nowadays. Everyone wants to be there, since nearly a billion devices are, but in reality every company would obviously prefer if they didn't have to be.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Shit, you aren't even safe outside the Apple ecosystem. They bought the best weather app on Android and shut it down.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019

Doesn't SCUF have a patent on the controller paddles that Microsoft pays for to make the Elite Controller?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Good video.
The benefit to Apple is clear.
But also the benefit to the end user that is embedded in the Apple ecosystem is undeniable.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if the product is connected to Iphone/Ipad/Macs/OS in someway, its more or less game over for the competitors of a similar product. Apple have such a tight grip on the ecosystem and it's users.

I'm not surprised their future Apple Electric Car will certainly give Tesla and Elon big trouble. People will definitely drop Tesla in a heartbeat.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, you aren't even safe outside the Apple ecosystem. They bought the best weather app on Android and shut it down.
Getting bought out and having your product integrated as an OS feature is pretty much the only win/win situation here though. At least it beats getting slowly run out-of-business by a massive competitor with a better product and deep pockets.

Tile probably should have been lobbying for its tech to be natively integrated into iOS/Android devices, rather than winging it with an app. The downfall of Tile was always going to be that they could only build a network out of people that installed their app, and that's just too small of a subset of users.

All that said, they still have a pretty desirable product to sell......even to Apple users. AirTags won't fit in a wallet and won't help you find your phone if it's lost.....Tile can at least satisfy those features for a while longer. I don't think the size of the user network is really a big consideration for most people, and the more pragmatic advantages of Tile will probably weigh more heavily.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
interesting! I never knew this

I don't personally fully buy into the "Apple only steals other ideas" bit, but I'd say they're a pretty big offender. As this video showed, plenty of stuff they've replaced wasn't "shit" before Apple's version. No turds being polished - just strong-arming. At least Dark Sky got paid for their software to go away.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The main thing I've noticed with Amazon since they bought Whole Foods is how drastically WF expanded their house brand stuff. The obviously had some before, but it was relatively rare. I'd say they have probably a basic version of every staple at the store now though and certainly when you're buying online on Amazon, that's often the only one available or one of very few choices. It's been quite a smart decision for their bottom line I'm sure.