• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
They'll never do it, but I would love it if they gave Spawn a teleport, but made him barf every time he used it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My boy Kung Jin :'(

But yes, I agree, KP2 needs a huge mainstay MK character and a huge guest. I've needed Mileena ever since this fan art:

mk11_kitana___mileena_render_by_mistfighter_dd63bq1-pre.jpg

God damn it

the mileena fan arts have all been absolutely terrible but fuck this one looks fire

Because animating and modeling his cape the way it's presented in the comics would be difficult.
He never had it in previous video games, so it would be a first. It's not impossible now, but would still be tricky and take a lot more work to effectively convey it than just his model.

It wouldn't be that difficult if they stopped relying on lazy physics for the capes like in Injustice.
There's a reason other devs handle capes just fine : they Key frame the cape.

Just needs a little redesign to be more feasible, like the Snes game did and it's gonna be fine.

5d108a187b909c17f04ec2356084bf89.gif

E1J7xnX.gif

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize there was an SNES game. Has his cape ever been fully modeled in a 3D game?

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
What are you talking about?

Super Smash Bros., PlayStation All-Stars, Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Dead or Alive all contain guest characters from other video game publishers.

Are you being real now ? Literally promise of first two games are you know video game crossovers. Rest is just homage to their old japaneese crossovers. Mortal Kombat wont have any Japanese(or Western like DoomGuy) video game guest characters ever. Midway was always other dude while japan side was another side of story. SNK,Capcom,Namco were always friendly and included their characters/allowed usage of their IP's . Heck they even did crossover game few years back in 3DS.

Mortal Kombat is mortal kombat. Guests are chosen because dev teams like that character , dev teams is chicago based and most of their history comes from american movies/american comics etc. So horror characters things like Spawn fits perfectly. Or chosen because of money / wb dictate like Scorpion in injustice,Joker in MK11,Kratos in MK9 (which is win win for both sides MK9 was reboot and needed exposure and GoW3 was super hot that days,Kratos was big icon and PS3 needed all marketing deals it could get).

So why would Warner Bros go and make deal with Capcom a lesser company in terms of profit to promote lets say Dante or Ryu or Mr.X . Which all are pointless. Mortal Kombat and WB is bigger than Capcom. There is no point of making deals with them instead they could go and make movie / comic characters and bring different audience.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Are you being real now ? Literally promise of first two games are you know video game crossovers. Rest is just homage to their old japaneese crossovers.
What's with the attitude? And your argument still doesn't make any sense to me. Soulcalibur is a Japanese series that has had Western guest characters like Spawn, Darth Vader, Yoda, Kratos, Ezio, and Geralt.

Mortal Kombat wont have any Japanese video game guest characters ever.
Who said this? Could you please provide a quote?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a fan of Mileena's MKX look at first, but now I love it. It hits the right spot in the uncanny valley.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
It wouldn't be that difficult if they stopped relying on lazy physics for the capes like in Injustice.
There's a reason other devs handle capes just fine : they Key frame the cape.

Just needs a little redesign to be more feasible, like the Snes game did and it's gonna be fine.

"Lazy physics".

There are lots of issues with key framing giant capes -> you never know what the previous state was, which is what flowing things rely on. You can end up with issues where it's rippling one way then just snaps to a different position.

That said, Spawn's cape is living and pretty starched, so they could probably get away with it. They keyed a lot of Batman's cape too. But the larger the cape the more noticeable the keyed issues become.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
What's with the attitude? And your argument still doesn't make any sense to me. Soulcalibur is a Japanese series that has had Western guest characters like Spawn, Darth Vader, Yoda, Kratos, Ezio, and Geralt.

Who said this? Could you please provide a quote?
Soul Calibur gets guests characters that are bigger than its own IP to promote itself. Mortal Kombat is bigger than all Japanese game you guys are mentioning and bigger than Doom too. It makes no sense to get promotion from and lesser known IP. Thats why they focus on different audience and bigger characters like Terminator,Joker,Predator etc.
If Star Wars ever table for Injustice after EA deals end i'm sure they will try that too.
Why would promoting Resident Evil character bring to table ? Those who play Resident evil already heard MK11 . If they have interest in it they will buy it. Who in the mind going to say omg Nemesis in MK11 i have to buy it now !!! But people say that for Spawn,Joker etc because different target audiences.
They will better focusing on Mortal Kombat characters rather than making nobody knows like Doomguy(which literally makes 0 sense and will never happen in smash or MK ) or unrelated game stars.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"Lazy physics".

There are lots of issues with key framing giant capes -> you never know what the previous state was, which is what flowing things rely on. You can end up with issues where it's rippling one way then just snaps to a different position.

That said, Spawn's cape is living and pretty starched, so they could probably get away with it. They keyed a lot of Batman's cape too. But the larger the cape the more noticeable the keyed issues become.

Well they can interpolate between frames which is what most games did outside of Arcsystem works that made all of it manually (like MVC3).

They had to manually touch up Batman's cape because it was used in moves.
Superman's cape was a joke.

They can easily redesign Spawn's cape to be more like the Snes videogame, then the solution to making it look good should not pose much problems considering how talented their artists are.

But yes relying too heavily on physics would lead to another Superman, which is lazy and terrible. I don't think they would do that to Spawn though.

Oct 27, 2017
They could bring something crazy in like Nyarlathotep, someone who appears mostly human most of the time, but gives small glimpses where his Crawling Chaos outer god form starts to show.
I love that idea, but that's already kinda the vibe I get from Noob. He even
says in his ending that he has gone by many names or something like that.
, which if my memory serves me is sort of a Nyarlathotep schtick. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see something along those lines!

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Are you being real now ? Literally promise of first two games are you know video game crossovers. Rest is just homage to their old japaneese crossovers. Mortal Kombat wont have any Japanese(or Western like DoomGuy) video game guest characters ever. Midway was always other dude while japan side was another side of story. SNK,Capcom,Namco were always friendly and included their characters/allowed usage of their IP's . Heck they even did crossover game few years back in 3DS.

Mortal Kombat is mortal kombat. Guests are chosen because dev teams like that character , dev teams is chicago based and most of their history comes from american movies/american comics etc. So horror characters things like Spawn fits perfectly. Or chosen because of money / wb dictate like Scorpion in injustice,Joker in MK11,Kratos in MK9 (which is win win for both sides MK9 was reboot and needed exposure and GoW3 was super hot that days,Kratos was big icon and PS3 needed all marketing deals it could get).

So why would Warner Bros go and make deal with Capcom a lesser company in terms of profit to promote lets say Dante or Ryu or Mr.X . Which all are pointless. Mortal Kombat and WB is bigger than Capcom. There is no point of making deals with them instead they could go and make movie / comic characters and bring different audience.
8a2f44c11f5c778f9986c3845fdacc54.jpg

Street Fighter fathered Mortal Kombat. Let's not pretend that up until very recently that Mortal Kombat games didn't play like total jank when compared to its Japanese peers. If I was a Japanese developer I wouldn't want my brand tangled up with that jank from the early 2000's either.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If NRS got Capcom's permission to use one of their popular characters in MK as DLC, I have no doubt NRS would be all over that. However, I don't think it's something WB/NRS would actively pursue.

If I were Capcom, I wouldn't want one of my characters getting hacked up in the specific way they do in MK. The only thing I'd let them use would be one of the fodder zombies from RE, and no named characters like Nemesis or Wesker.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If NRS got Capcom's permission to use one of their popular characters in MK as DLC, I have no doubt NRS would be all over that. However, I don't think it's something WB/NRS would actively pursue.

If I were Capcom, I wouldn't want one of my characters getting hacked up in the specific way they do in MK. The only thing I'd let them use would be one of the fodder zombies from RE, and no named characters like Nemesis or Wesker.

Not saying they should go for it but Leon death scenes in RE games is like a fatality reel anyway, if you did ANY named character why not him?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying they should go for it but Leon death scenes in RE games is like a fatality reel anyway, if you did ANY named character why not him?

Hypothetically, if it were my decision at Capcom, no I would not want Leon or any other character from RE in MK. Despite the fact that they can get violently destroyed by zombies in RE games, the narative, context, and feel is different and controlled by Capcom in RE games as part of an overall survival horror experience, unlike MK. I don't think just because the death scenes are gory means they should be OK with it out of context like a 1v1 battle like in MK.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

While i dont think this means anything it might hint quick jab at Sweet Tooth though its never happening considering console exclusive. Maybe its some inside Ash / Evil dead joke i dont get ? never watched them

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
He's just feeding the YouTube clickbaiters to get more MK videos circulating at this point.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Ice cream truck -> Good Humor -> Joker?
Also this makes me think how they are gonna handle rest of DLC and Joker.
Pretty surprising that Joker isnt in first pack.

Movie is out on October.
We have shang for june
July for spawn(comicccon)
August for Nightwolf
Sept Sindel
October Ash/halloween
November T100 (movie)

This is only thinking like if they release monthly characters hopefully. Considering they released two dlcs in other NRS games life to date in this period some might argue we may get 1.5 months delays between them. Maybe they will both release rest of MK during evo who knows.

But its very unlikely they will able to capture movie hype during that period. Also making Joker first to come out in kombat pack2 would sour people bit.

Very interesting how they are gonna handle dlc

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

While i dont think this means anything it might hint quick jab at Sweet Tooth though its never happening considering console exclusive. Maybe its some inside Ash / Evil dead joke i dont get ? never watched them

It's Ed Boon so always assume troll

Nvm- official account, I don't think it means much more than we're getting a character announced.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Finally got around to watching the trailer. I don't even own the game atm and I'm hyped af by Shang Tsung. Literal goosebumps with him pointing at the screen and doing the soul is mine line.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Takeda feels like he'd be perfect as a DLC character. Maybe Kung Jin too. It would work if they were in DLC 2.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

Street Fighter fathered Mortal Kombat. Let's not pretend that up until very recently that Mortal Kombat games didn't play like total jank when compared to its Japanese peers. If I was a Japanese developer I wouldn't want my brand tangled up with that jank from the early 2000's either.
Akuma can finally get his first kill.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get the weird Japanese developer pride thing and all (Actually, I don't) but Hideki Kamiya really wants Bayo in the game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Also this makes me think how they are gonna handle rest of DLC and Joker.
Pretty surprising that Joker isnt in first pack.

Movie is out on October.
We have shang for june
July for spawn(comicccon)
August for Nightwolf
Sept Sindel
October Ash/halloween
November T100 (movie)

This is only thinking like if they release monthly characters hopefully. Considering they released two dlcs in other NRS games life to date in this period some might argue we may get 1.5 months delays between them. Maybe they will both release rest of MK during evo who knows.

But its very unlikely they will able to capture movie hype during that period. Also making Joker first to come out in kombat pack2 would sour people bit.

Very interesting how they are gonna handle dlc

I mean, Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi have said something regarding Ash and Evil Dead is coming September 2019, when asked months ago they said it had nothing to do with Mortal Kombat.
So it's the other way around, they are getting something for Evil Dead and Ash DLC will be the "promo" in a way.

Terminator in November like you said, so really the only one out was Spawn since we don't have the movie out yet.

Also the dialogues clearly show Joker is just bitch ass Injustice Joker so maybe they wanted to remake him a bit to fit the new movie ?

Ash and Joker were the least advanced DLC characters but Ash seems like he's somewhat confirmed with the chainsaw audio cue.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If KP2 is 6 people as well, then Mileena, Takeda and Havik alongside Joker, Sheeva, and Fujin would be ideal

or just John Wick

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing John Wick get fatalitied would make no sense

I don't think it'll happen but Doomslayer would be a dream - two iconic games that scared parents in the 90s together at once

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Doomslayer is a literal nobody, I don't think any casual would know him by his looks or name honestly.

Certainly doesn't have the appeal of a Terminator :p .

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Seeing John Wick get fatalitied would make no sense

I don't think it'll happen but Doomslayer would be a dream - two iconic games that scared parents in the 90s together at once

How is it any different than Sonya getting her head ripped off?

If they put him in, i think they would up his power level, hehe. I don't think they would put him in though.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping that Shang's old man look is available as a playable skin.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer his old man look, but this is the lone exception. It wouldn't bother me if it's not playable.