• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
Project 3 New IP that's different from what they have done before and a little bit "weird"

Still unannounced. This is the trickiest one but with the recent interview confirming it's very much a Fromsoftware-esque game, it might be the games tone or setting that is weird not the gameplay loop or mechanics. They are known for dark and gritty games so a bright and happy game that's challenging is what I think of. A mech game could also fit this category if it was different enough from their previous ones.
How old is this interview? I would've thought Project 3 was Deracine, and they've moved onto a Project 4 (with Project 2 being Sekiro and Project 1 still in the works).

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
How old is this interview? I would've thought Project 3 was Deracine, and they've moved onto a Project 4 (with Project 2 being Sekiro and Project 1 still in the works).

It's like a day old and Gematsu layed it out like this

Discussing the studio's development lines, Miyazaki said that the 3.5 product lines he mentioned in a June 2016 interview can be broken down as follows:
  • 0.5 – Deracine
  • 1.0 – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • 2.0 – Unannounced Titles

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
With Miyazaki mentioning both unannounced games in development are very much Fromsoftware like games. It's hard to say if he is looking back at Fromsoftware's entire catalog or the past 10 years with challenging combat heavy games like Sekiro & Souls. So how does this look based on the descriptions we got for the teased unannounced games? This is my take on it and all speculation of course.

Project 1 Dark Fantasy ARPG similar to Souls but approached differently

This is still unannounced since From & Activision has gone to great lengths saying that Sekiro is an Action Adventure game with limited rpg elements and that it's different from souls. With Omnipotent and Miyazaki reiterating that BB2 is not a thing yet we can guess that it's something brand new again.

Project 2 Reboot project

Sekiro falls under this category for me since it started as a Tenchu project but morphed into Sekiro. Sure they could reboot one of their mech games or create another one off mech game but where does that leave Sekiro in all of this?

Project 3 New IP that's different from what they have done before and a little bit "weird"

Still unannounced. This is the trickiest one but with the recent interview confirming it's very much a Fromsoftware-esque game, it might be the games tone or setting that is weird not the gameplay loop or mechanics. They are known for dark and gritty games so a bright and happy game that's challenging is what I think of. A mech game could also fit this category if it was different enough from their previous ones.

I feel like sekiro is the dark fantasy arpg. After all, it fits the tagline of being similar but different. Armored core feels like it could use a reboot after the last game. But the real mystery is the weird new IP. Someone said it was Deracine but if that's the case what's the 3rd big game?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I feel like sekiro is the dark fantasy arpg. After all, it fits the tagline of being similar but different. Armored core feels like it could use a reboot after the last game. But the real mystery is the weird new IP. Someone said it was Deracine but if that's the case what's the 3rd big game?

Not really, they have made it clear that Sekiro is trying to be something different than souls. Sekiro is vastly different in it's core by not having any type of online component, no character customization (fixed protagonist) and most importantly no stat leveling which is a huge role playing game element. When they say similar to Souls I am assuming it will at least be a role playing game. Sekiro has more stuff in common with something like Tenchu or Ninja Blade than Souls. Sure you have some of the fragmented story telling from the world and items but resurrection after your dead? I mean common, it goes against what the whole souls formula is about. The risk reward aspect of loosing souls and progression if your not careful.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the Sony Japan Studio game announcement, 2019 is going to be an exciting year.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I've tried to like other From Software games but I just really can't get into them... Ninja Blade was okay and maybe some others are worth trying but everyone can't deny what they really excel at.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Demon's Souls are some best designed games I've ever played.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Sekiro is Souls style game. It shares some mechanics like the way the combat works and the camera but aside from that it is a character action game mixed with Tenchu.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I think people oversell how much the stats/gear numbers etc actually matter in the souls games, I feel realistically in the end almost everyone just falls into a handful of playstyles that really aren't that different from just giving the player a bunch of different unique weapons with balanced stats.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people oversell how much the stats/gear numbers etc actually matter in the souls games, I feel realistically in the end almost everyone just falls into a handful of playstyles that really aren't that different from just giving the player a bunch of different unique weapons with balanced stats.
Character creation and build variety are the only reason Dark Souls is worth anything to me

I don't want to play a guy who looks like every damn Samurai character under the sun

Forcing a main character whilst taking out any real differentiation ruins the experience for me

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You have friends who want to exprience From Software games but have no interest in Playstation? Really?

What are they into that doesn't have a From Software game that is 90% the same thing as Bloodborne? Windows mobile? I'm sure they are foaming at the mouth for a difficult action rpg experience.

Is it out of the question that people are PC gamers and love Miyazaki's work? Exclusives suck.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even explain to you how badly I want a new-era From Soft King's Field game. I hope they can get the former president on board someday, since he's still an advisor for From apparently.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want another Soulsborne-like game, but with a different setting. Sekiro doesn't look like my cup of tea.