• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if they're being let go? Or if they're being kept and shifted to other departments?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's awful, really awful.

Mass layoffs during a pandemic. WTF?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking the racist people in the top brass story was the straw that broke the camels back

Mixer was already not doing so hot and now that?

I wonder if Phil is going to poach that guy

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (permanent): antagonising other members, threadwhining, platform wars, multiple prior bans for platform wars
I already knew who made this thread before I clicked on it

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Wow doing that is always shitty but especially now with terrible unemployment?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they hired Ninja for ~$50 million and a lot of other famous streamers, only to shut it down a few months later?

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
This story is unfortunately getting worse and worse, while Mixer's shutdown was - jarring at best to those looking through a window in, but I didn't think it would be the same weird limbo for the employees as well. I know a lot of work went into this platform, and wish all of the employees the best.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Mixers shutting down? When did this happen?

Whats happening to those contracts they made with Ninja and Shroud? Did those two just get two huge paydays and can go back to twitch?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Wasn't surprised the meeting Phil had probably was the direct reason for Mixer shutting down.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Their plan didn't work. But they also don't fall for sunken cost fallacy
I'm just hearing it now (Mixer getting shut down). It's..... weird. Really thought they would give it a chance for another year because they hired all these famous streamers. But yeah, Mixer was trash since day 1.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How does this happen? Is there like a meeting about the future of mixer and afterwards it gets instantly shut down?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Tech is full of smarty pants that all are worth a billion dollars, but even I, a humble moron worth practically nothing, could have told you with 100% certainty that spending $50mm to get one guy to stream exclusively on Mixer wasn't going to be the thing that got eyeballs off twitch. I'm sure Ninja will still walk away with at least a few million bucks, but f in chat to all the low to mid-tier streamers that also jumped for a chance at getting in early on something. They're the ones who go back to Twitch with drastically lowered subs and attention. This is going to be the end of many streaming careers.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
It's a bad way to find out for sure. And I feel for everyone there who is at least scared about their job security if they haven't outright lost it already.

But weren't reports saying that lots of employees were already getting reassigned to other divisions and morale was awful because it felt like a ghost town at Mixer? If those were accurate this had to have been expected.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all need to do more research, or just read more, before you post.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since they are using Facebook does that mean you can't stream twitch from Xbox anymore?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Wasn't surprised the meeting Phil had probably was the direct reason for Mixer shutting down.
Extremely unlikely. This was probably already happening today - and then timing caught up in the worst way. You don't make a partnership with Facebook Gaming in a couple of hours. This is unbelievable and infuriating on so many levels.

Since they are using Facebook does that mean you can't stream twitch from Xbox anymore?
Also extremely unlikely. They didn't lock Twitch out when they OWNED Mixer, why would they go out of their way for Facebook?