• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
E3t8Ym8.jpg

bgr.com

MIT scientists think they’ve discovered how to fully reverse climate change

MIT scientists have proposed a new plan to reverse climate change that uses 'space bubbles' to shield the Earth from the Sun's radiation.

The idea revolves heavily around the creation and deployment of several thin film-like silicon bubbles. The "space bubbles" as they refer to them, would be joined together like a raft. Once expanded in space it would be around the same size as Brazil. The bubbles would then provide an extra buffer against the harmful solar radiation that comes from the Sun.

The goal with these new "space bubbles" would be to ease up or even reverse climate change. The Earth has seen rising temperatures over the past several centuries. In fact, NASA previously released a gif detailing how the global temperature has changed over the years. Now, we're seeing massive "mouths to hell" opening in the permafrost.
There's also the fact that scientists just discovered yet another hole in the Earth's ozone layer. As such, finding ways to ease or reverse climate change continues to be a high priority for many. This new plan is based on a concept first proposed by astronomer Roger Angel. Angel originally suggested using a "cloud" of small spacecraft to shield the Earth from the Sun's radiation.

Researchers at MIT have taken that same basic concept and improved it, though, by changing out inflatable silicon bubbles for the spacecraft that Angel originally proposed. Being able to reverse climate change would be a huge step in the right direction. Shielding the Earth from the Sun's radiation would only be one part of it, though. We'd still need to cut down on other things, too.
But how exactly what a "raft" of space bubbles shield Earth from the Sun's radiation? Well, the basic idea requires sending the bubbles to the L1 Lagrangian Point. This is the location directly between the Earth and the Sun where gravity from both our star and our planet cancels out. As such, the space bubbles would theoretically be able to just float without much pull from either body.

The researchers say we'd probably still need to put some kind of spacecraft out there to help keep things on track. But, it could give us a good chance at reversing climate change, or at least slowing down the changes. It is important to note that MIT does not view this as an alternative solution to our current adapt and mitigate efforts. Instead, it's a backup solution meant to help if things spin out of control.

Backup solution, so they aren't saying let's just keep emitting and pray for bubbles. But if they work, why not? Citing a study, MIT's page says '...if we deflect 1.8% of incident solar radiation before it hits our planet, we could fully reverse today's global warming.'

Also note this does nothing for other issues like ocean acidification. Might need other bubbles for that.

SCYVwKw.jpg

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
What happens if it works too well? Do we just move it to the dark side of the planet until we need it again?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking for a while we are gonna have to engineer our way out of this impending disaster. We don't have what it takes as a species to change our ways. Hopefully this would work.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, at this point, the only thing that can save society as we know it is a miracle at midnight invention. So even if this isn't it (sounds pretty iffy), at least it's nice to know someone is trying their dammest

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm under the weather and real sick. Am I reading this right or are they genuinely talking about launching a balloon shield into space to reverse global warming? Wut

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Sadly probably more realistic than actually implementing a green energy grid and getting corporations and people to reduce consumption in a meaningful time frame at this point. These kinds of insane sci-fi back up plans are gonna be the only real hope.

Deleted user 119316

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 22, 2022
Haehaehae!

Stultitia haec est admirabilis, sed homines hanc planetam nunquam deserent. Id non potest esse, quia dii id non permittunt.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If the science is there then go for it. Anything to help bring climate change under control or start to reverse it's affects.

Mar 30, 2019

View: https://youtu.be/mukrE7nEXMU

What happens if it works too well? Do we just move it to the dark side of the planet until we need it again?
Well conceptually it looks like a mesh that we'd be able to shift in density so there would be a measure of control. But how are we going to make, launch, and maintain such material in a time-span that would be sufficient?

It's neat, but there has to be cheaper solutions...that no one wants to implement.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly probably more realistic than actually implementing a green energy grid and getting corporations and people to reduce consumption in a meaningful time frame at this point. These kinds of insane sci-fi back up plans are gonna be the only real hope.

Pretty much where I'm at with it too. We're too stupid as a species to manage this issue, will need science to come bail us out.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Of course we'll probably try engineering our way out of climate change rather doing things we could have done decades ago to reduce carbon emissions.

Perhaps a better idea than filling our stratosphere with aerosol particles. At least it seems this might be easier to reverse if it doesn't work as intended. I just don't know how we'd actually make and get such a structure to the L1 point.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We can barely make a football field in space and they're asking for Brazil?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, reduce consumption and be less wasteful or build space bubbles? So hard to decide.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading a book currently about climate change and one of the sections is about how governments and policy makers are hanging their hats on untested tech like this that might not even work at all, or worse, have unintended effects. Apparently the atmosphere is incredibly complex and the models/computers we use to measure and inform us probably aren't close to being accurate enough.

But governments and policy makers are counting on tech like this and accounting for there supposed impacts in their models to reduce emissions, and they haven't even been used and might not even work at all.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Reduce consumption and emissions? 🤢 🤮 🚮
Space bubble radiation shield? 🤔👍🆗

Yeah literally this because we are not going to meet emissions targets in time. No one should be fooling themselves about that at this point. We are in climate adaptation space already, and it's going to be carbon sequestering or other mitigation techniques like space bubbles that save us, not mass coordination and sacrifice. I've seen no evidence we are capable of it.

I am well aware of self fulfilling "it's pointless don't do anything" but the reality is that most of this is way out of our hands as individuals. Put up the damn space bubbles.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading a book currently about climate change and one of the sections is about how governments and policy makers are hanging their hats on untested tech like this that might not even work at all, or worse, have unintended effects. Apparently the atmosphere is incredibly complex and the models/computers we use to measure and inform us probably aren't close to being accurate enough.

But governments and policy makers are counting on tech like this and accounting for there supposed impacts in their models to reduce emissions, and they haven't even been used and might not even work at all.

Probably very fair concerns. My guess if something like this is ever tried they will first try a smaller test patch, like something that is much smaller sent into space that maybe blocks say 1/10 of the amount of solar radiation for a few months and then we see what kind of impact it has on the earth's ecosystems.

I don't think you would go from no bubble net straight to full bubble net, unless the situation is so dire that we have no other option (and lets hope it never gets to that point).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm under the weather and real sick. Am I reading this right or are they genuinely talking about launching a balloon shield into space to reverse global warming? Wut
Well conceptually it looks like a mesh that we'd be able to shift in density so there would be a measure of control. But how are we going to make, launch, and maintain such material in a time-span that would be sufficient?
I just don't know how we'd actually make and get such a structure to the L1 point.

Apparently the bubbles would be built directly in outer space, rather than being built on Earth and transported

Mar 30, 2019
Apparently the bubbles would be built directly in outer space, rather than being built on Earth and transported
Yeah that makes sense. I was more driving at the amount of material for a Brazil-sized mesh needed to launch out there. Not even considering any random meteors, comets, or solar ejection that could damage it, during and after construction.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
That sounds better than other forms of solar radiation management, such as spraying chemicals into the upper atmosphere. What do I know, though. It just seems to me that we'll probably have to attempt some form of geoengineering, even if it's too late and even if we don't know what the consequences will be, things are going to get so bad.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
As far as I'm concerned they should just do this as soon as they can. No amount of "everyone doing their part" will fix the climate crisis at this point because control is too unevenly distributed and the conscious opposition to ecological efforts is too entrenched among those with the power to change things. Bubble us up.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we're really good at sending small terrestrial craft to Mars, launching satellites, and shooting probes across the solar system.

Anything involving space beyond those things makes me think this is a 30-40 year project.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The latter is more realistic though LOL

if some non-terrestrial method like this actually works (or other geo-engineering solution that doesn't involve reducing/capturing emissions) i feel like many corporations (and governments) will be like "welp, global warming is solved!" and just increase emissions even more

edit: to clarify, I'm glad stuff like this is being researched, i'm just pessimistic about corporations and several governments

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So the solution to the current crisis is to rely on technology that hasn't been engineered yet (and won't be for 20-30 years minimum), and won't be feasible to mass-manufacture for...50 years? Congrats on the clickbait article, though.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
So the solution to the current crisis is to rely on technology that hasn't been engineered yet (and won't be for 20-30 years minimum), and won't be feasible to mass-manufacture for...50 years? Congrats on the clickbait article, though.

Research is never a bad thing. Even MIT themselves said this is not a cope out from reducing emissions.

I'm all for it. Why not study it and be ready if we need it?

We are talking about man made climate change right now, but what if in 50 or 100 or 200 years, there is a natural occuring climate change that could wreck havoc to humanity? Would be let it be because it's "natural"? We shouldn't. That's why scientific research like these are ok imo.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
We geoengineered our way into this mess in the first place. Doing so in the reverse was always going to be necessary.

I still maintain that bioengineering staple crops to take in more CO2 and store it in the soil via deeper roots is the most promising route.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
What is the feasibility of implementing these space bubbles?
This reminds me of the ozone aerosol from a few years back. They can replenish what has been lost but they don't know how to deliver it to the atmosphere… or it's too expensive to develop.

Same with carbon capture machines. They already exist but their power hungry and expensive.

And then there's this. It'll prob cost too much to implement even though it'll help.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
We geoengineered our way into this mess in the first place. Doing so in the reverse was always going to be necessary.

I still maintain that bioengineering staple crops to take in more CO2 and store it in the soil via deeper roots is the most promising route.
Has there been any progress on something like that? It's the first I've heard of that idea

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Has there been any progress on something like that? It's the first I've heard of that idea

www.salk.edu

Harnessing Plants Initiative - Salk Institute for Biological Studies

“If we can optimize plants’ natural ability to capture and store carbon, we can develop plants that not only have the potential to reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere but that can also help enrich soils and increase crop yields.” Joanne ChorySalk Professor and Harnessing Plants Initiative...

View: https://youtu.be/JSv5UkuRV-A

They aren't the only group working on this. There are others throughout the world and many of their bioengineered crops and plants have already been put in the soil.

Last edited:

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for this. You will never incentivize global behavioral change long term. Bring on Bubble Brazil.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
www.salk.edu

Harnessing Plants Initiative - Salk Institute for Biological Studies

“If we can optimize plants’ natural ability to capture and store carbon, we can develop plants that not only have the potential to reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere but that can also help enrich soils and increase crop yields.” Joanne ChorySalk Professor and Harnessing Plants Initiative...

View: https://youtu.be/JSv5UkuRV-A

Fascinating, thanks for that.

Here's hoping it can work as well as they think (and that it isn't horribly exploited somehow to feed the capitalism maw and leave behind vulnerable peoples, but that's another topic)