• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand this "purge Trump from GOP" talk. If Trump is removed with the support of GOP leadership, that party is fucking DONE. Democrats will control the government for ten years minimum; the GOP is the cult of Trump, and almost nothing else, at this point.
The Republicans did extremely well downballot in 2020, and they get to redraw the district maps in many states for the next 10 years because they dominate many state governments. As long as they can gerrymander, they can win House seats, and as long as the EC exists, they can win presidential elections.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are going to go the Nixon route. McConnell and McCarthy go up to the WH to tell him that he has lost the support of the GOP powers that be and he needs to resign or else he will be removed during the Senate hearings.

I fully expect that if it's clear he will be voted out by the Senate before he's out of office then he will immediately resign. Better to be associated with Nixon than going down as the first President to actually be removed.

I do think if Pence was willing to pardon him then he might just resign anyway but it sounds like Pence took that off the table.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
The Republicans did extremely well downballot in 2020, and they get to redraw the district maps in many states for the next 10 years because they dominate many state governments. As long as they can gerrymander, they can win House seats, and as long as the EC exists, they can win presidential elections. T

Yep, and they're counting on a less engaged electorate and getting back the suburbs they've lost. Those combined can make up for the loss of the Trump hardcores.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
I want to post the Ron Paul happening bunker .gif but this is Mitch McConnell so I'll keep my expectations in check until he publicly confirms this

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Rats jumping ship like 2 seconds before it hits the dock. Pathetic but will be fun to see the meltdowns.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
This is a trap for dems to bring the articles to the senate, and delay bidens agenda by occupying the senate on their charade to not convict.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans did extremely well downballot in 2020, and they get to redraw the district maps in many states for the next 10 years because they dominate many state governments. As long as they can gerrymander, they can win House seats, and as long as the EC exists, they can win presidential elections. T
I don't agree with the "10 years minimum" thing, but the question there is how Trump not being on the ballot affects them.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Yep, and they're counting on a less engaged electorate and getting back the suburbs they've lost. Those combined can make up for the loss of the Trump hardcores.

Yeah, I hope the threat of Trump lingers in peoples minds come 2024 so they get galvanized like in 2020 to vote blue.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans did extremely well downballot in 2020, and they get to redraw the district maps in many states for the next 10 years because they dominate many state governments. As long as they can gerrymander, they can win House seats, and as long as the EC exists, they can win presidential elections.

Yeah, Trump's turnout may have been a record for the GOP but Biden's was even higher because anti-Trump sentiment is even greater. After the events of the past week I can only imagine anti-Trump sentiment is only going to be stronger on a potential 2024 run.

Get Trump out and put in a safe GOP candidate and dems in places like GA may just opt to stay home again.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't losing elections. On the whole, republicans have gained more seats and have won a significant amount of down ballot votes.

The president and the recent senate runoff is not consistent with overall voting

In other words they win when Trump is out of the picture. Which might convince them to have Trump out of the picture, no?

Seems to me America is still messed up enough to vote Republican, but not quite messed up enough to support Trump. Getting rid of him for good will give them back full control.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these GOP members resigning or vowing to vote for impeachment are all rats jumping from a sinking ship.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
"The democrats forced us to impeach him. we had no choice. It was a conspiracy. Trump was the greatest president of all time."

- The GOP in two years, trying to get the Republican base to come out for the mid terms

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
he can do that, but if he is remoived, he himself cant run, so.
Senate has to hold a second vote to bar him from running, so in theory he could be impeached and removed without being barred, though I think that is an exceedingly unlikely outcome.

time.com

How the Senate Could Bar Donald Trump from Running for President in 2024

Can the Senate ban Donald Trump from running for president again in 2024 if he's convicted in an impeachment trial? Here's what to know about the disqualification process.

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020
Getting rid of Trump does not magically purge the GOP and make Trumpism disappear. Congress is now full of people who came in on the back of Trump, whose constituents still support him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Please just end this charade, Republicans. Erase him. You have the power to do free ALL of us from Trump.

Getting rid of Trump does not magically make Trumpism disappear. Congress is now full of people who came in on the back of Trump, whose constituents still support him.

True, but preventing him legally from running again makes him less of an obstacle for the entire world moving forward. His ideology will take years to dismantle but cutting off the head is too important.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so many Republicans have shifted this fast, especially McConnell tells me there is a huge leak coming that looks incredibly damning.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm inclined to believe Mitch wants to ditch Trump.

The GOP wants to purge the party from Trump and Trumpism as they see them a threat now, Trump to them is a loose canon they can't control and a potential rival in 2024 that can divide their party and siphon votes away from them.

If they play ball and impeach the orange shit stain, they can stop his 2024 bid dead in its tracks.

Yep. Trump gets impeached, he has zero chance of coming back simply because he will be barred from holding office of any kind for the remainder of his life. Even if they do lose in 2022/2024 thats still better for them to lock Trump out to maintain control of the party's identity.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with the "10 years minimum" thing, but the question there is how Trump not being on the ballot affects them.
10 years is the time until the next census.

Every 10 years, after the census, congressional and state legislature districts are redrawn to account for population changes. This gives whoever is drawing the maps the power to maximize the number of districts that favor their party — a tactic known as gerrymandering. And as we wrote last month, the 2020 election represented the last chance for voters to weigh in on who would draw those maps. Both parties went into the election with a chance to draw more congressional districts than the other, but the end result was just about the best-case scenario for Republicans. As the map below shows, Republicans are set to control the redistricting of 188 congressional seats — or 43 percent of the entire House of Representatives. By contrast, Democrats will control the redistricting of, at most, 73 seats, or 17 percent.

fivethirtyeight.com

Republicans Won Almost Every Election Where Redistricting Was At Stake

Joe Biden may have won the White House, but down-ballot races were much better for Republicans. In fact, the GOP’s victories in state-level elections could pay …

GOP gets to draw the maps for nearly half of the House of Representative seats which will be in effect until the next census in 2030 because of how well they did in 2020.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they did well in 2020, as a unified party. If the GOP ends Trump, a massive number will either defect and try to form a third party, or simply refuse to vote.

Republicans will still hold office, especially in deep red states, but the federal government will be trifecta blue for a decade. It would be betraying the leader of a cult. 75 million people are brainwashed as hell. If you go against the cult, you're the enemy.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that so many Republicans have shifted this fast, especially McConnell tells me there is a huge leak coming that looks incredibly damning.

Just follow the money. Corporations are coming out of the woodwork to dump the GOP unless they break with Trump. They don't want to be seen as funding insurrection. Dumping Trump becomes more appealing by the hour.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Republican senators likely to impeach?
Romney
Murkowski
Toomey
Sasse
Collins (lol)
Mitch (lol)

We need 16
If Mitch, the senate leader of the GOP goes over, it will be like the Jan 6th vote, with 7-10 radical senators breaking with him. May not be even that high tbh because senators cannot gerrymeander seats, it's statewide elections. You might get Cruz, Hawley from deep red states leading the dissent with a few others. The moderates and any R senator not in the deep south could come over to Mitch.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The GOP no longer have financial incentive to keep Trump as their corporate buddies are dropping them on top of Trump costing them all 3 branches.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
None of them gave a shit about the problems he was causing until it was at their door. SHAME.

I was going around saying "what's the point of impeaching and removing him now?" I didn't know he couldn't run again. DO IT.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is anybody shocked a Cheney is in favor of regime change ?- (yes, I'm sure 900 people on Twitter already made this joke).

Jan 3, 2018
giphy.gif

Haha.

leberkas

Banned
Nov 10, 2020
For NYT articles, if you put a . between the .com and the / that follows it, it will usually let you read it.
Even better:
github.com

GitHub - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-firefox: Bypass Paywalls for Firefox

Bypass Paywalls for Firefox. Contribute to iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-firefox development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com

GitHub - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome: Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox.

Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
this is the fan fiction dude, right?

I'd have to see the actual cnn report

even then I'm still not sure I believe it

I ain't believing it until I see it, but just...imagine.

Imagine if this happens.

Nope, it's real and it's fantastic

McConnell and Impeachment

Per CNN said:
A source familiar with the relationship between the two men told CNN that McConnell is furious with Trump. The source said McConnell "hates" Trump for what he did last week following the attacks on the Capitol that left at least five people dead including a Capitol Hill police officer.

Trump and McConnell still have not spoken since last Wednesday's riot, a separate source familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN. Another source said the two men haven't spoken since McConnell's floor speech acknowledging Biden as President-elect in December.

McConnell couldn't get Trump on the phone when he refused to sign the stimulus bill over the Christmas week, a third source told CNN. McConnell has since told others in the wake of the stimulus circus he won't talk to Trump again.

McConnell is also speaking with the President-elect about how the chamber should handle an impeachment trial against Trump.

Biden is not trying to stop the impeachment proceedings, but he is trying to keep them from consuming his agenda and overshadowing the early days of his presidency. CNN has learned Biden called McConnell on Monday to discuss the possibility of "bifurcation" -- doing impeachment proceedings alongside confirming his nominees and approving a sweeping Covid relief package.