• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think some are misinterpreting the article. It is implying that McConnell would like to see Trump impeached and removed from office (not surprising) but doesn't say that he personally would be willing to vote on the record for it.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the specifics, but is it possible for the House and Senate to cast their votes anonymously? Normally I'd be all for putting these jokers on the record, but given the real threat of violence their vote might incur, I could understand it being done in secret now. You might get more of them to actually vote their conscience that way too, assuming they still have one left.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I do think the establishment GOP sees this as an opportunity to jettison Trump. They don't like him and have gotten all the use out of him they could. With Biden going to be in office for the next two years their goal at this point (besides obstructing any way they can) is to prep for 2022/2024 and a Trump seeking to run again in 2024 is a huge anchor on those plans.

Oct 28, 2017
McConnel is old, won for another 6 years, and if still alive will be elected again most likely. Reasonable he wouldn't give a shit about Trumper's opinion of him so Impeachment is non-zero.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Now lets see if he actually allows them to move forward with it. This totally is a chance for the Republican party to move away from Trump and his shitty followers, but they still need to get all of their Reps on board lol. I cant imagine Jim Jordan and Matt Gatez being able to turn on Trump.

It is pretty funny how they basically destroyed their own party.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Money is really a short-term concern to GOP leadership. It might dry up temporarily, but the donors will eventually come back.

On the other hand, Trump is a force that they can't control in their party. McConnell doesn't like ANYONE other than himself in control of the party, and this will effectively remove Trump from further calculus...at least until Trump becomes a king-maker in upcoming GOP or independent races.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
It is happening and he will be impeached. Removed is another matter.

Also, this seems like a controlled leak, or it's just opportunistic for him. He got everything he wanted from trump policy wise. Now he's no longer useful and he will rewrite history and say he hated him all along.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
I don't believe he will follow through. But if he does he is setting himself up to be a bigger Judas than Pence in the eyes of the MAGAt crowd.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I think some are misinterpreting the article. It is implying that McConnell would like to see Trump impeached and removed from office (not surprising) but doesn't say that he personally would be willing to vote on the record for it.

I believe this. I am sure there are many Republicans who would like to remove Trump, but not so many willing to publicly stand up to his crazies.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The real call here is if he'll vote for early trial with Schmuer.

Yeah.

Schumer found some semi-obscure law that allows the Senate to be reconvened before the 19th by just his and McConnell's say so. Schumer's gone on record saying that he'll ask for this.

It's 100% on McConnell.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Republicans can have a 2024 where Trump is not on Facebook or Twitter and not on the ballot which means he will have basically no platform to shit all over them. Why on earth would they turn down that opportunity? If Trump is in the primary in 2024, it is terrible for them all. I don't get why they are hesitating at all. (I understand they are dumb and that's why)

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me. He knows Trump is toast, now they can all claim they didn't support him and wash their hands.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If this is true, it's just Mitch being opportunistic, since Trump a) is leaving office soon anyway b) he lost the senate majority and c) is likely losing donours.

He just wants to save face.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Says nothing about him making time for it as owner of the Senate's scheduling. So I believe he IS that pissed and may even vote to convict but I'm not gonna hold my breath for Lich Mcconnell to do anything about making it scheduled before the 19th.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they do it. I imagine McConnell wants the party to be able to say "we took care of Trump in the end, he was bad we agree!" In midterms/2024 especially if they run Pence.

they also likely hope Trump voters stay Republican instead of becoming independents or non voters, which I think is somewhat possible. Oddly enough, I hope Trump Jr, or Trump family reps essentially make their own party so their candidates can take away from Republican votes

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
This isn't a broken clock thing, the only way that they'd support impeachment is if it benefits them more than it hurts them. In the end, they still only care about themselves.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Mitch doesn't care about anything but himself. The fact that Trump endangered him, it's not a surprise that would be inexcusable to McConnell.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
He will vote no, just like just about every other GOP senator. They're too scared of trump's supporters and want their votes.

OmegaProtocol

Nov 19, 2017
The GOP lost control of the Senate, White House, and are losing corporate donors. I'm sure he's feeling the heat.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mitch doesn't care about anything but himself. The fact that Trump endangered him, it's not a surprise that would be inexcusable to McConnell.
This absolutely not true. Mitch believes in the republican project to an extreme degree. He's willing to go down as one of the worst people in American history to see through his vision. You don't become the most consequential politician of your era by not believing or caring about anything. That's the difference between him and Trump and why McConnell is much more dangerous.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Some sourcing that it's 100% on Mitch, if he wants it, so articles like this are baloney without action:

Schumer calls on McConnell to let Trump impeachment trial start immediately (msn.com)

Schumer disputed McConnell's claim laid out in a memo circulated to colleagues Friday asserting it would take all 100 senators to agree to allow business to proceed on the Senate floor before senators are scheduled to return on Jan. 19. Under McConnell's interpretation, a second Trump impeachment trial in the Senate could not begin until 1 p.m. on Jan. 20, about an hour after President-elect Joe Biden is slated to be sworn into office.

"Leader McConnell is saying you can't call the Senate back after the House votes for impeachment because it requires unanimous consent - the consent of every senator. That's not true," Schumer said at a televised press conference in New York.

Schumer argued that legislation passed in 2004 allows the leaders of both parties to reconvene the Senate at any time.

"There was legislation passed in 2004 that allows the Senate minority and majority leader to jointly reconvene the Senate in times of emergency. This is a time of emergency," Schumer said.

"I've asked him to call the Senate back - all he needs is my agreement. I'm still minority leader," Schumer said.

The Democratic leader called on the Senate to "come back ASAP and vote to convict Donald Trump and get him out of office now before any further damage is done."

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
McConnell is a smart guy so he has to come to a conclusion that the only way forward for his party is to get rid of Trump at this point, especially after the Georgia debacle in this election. He sure as hell doesn't want to have a repeat of that. So they need to neutralise Trump by making sure he cannot run again for a government function. Otherwise, he'll keep fucking things up for the republicans.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
He might be pleased that the Dems have to bare the brunt of any political backlash, and encumber them with everything surrounding the procedure.
But the article does not provide any direct between the lines quote, and more importantly, hints that he will essentially not lift a finger to make it happen: essentially, if the numbers are there, he would just not straightly oppose it.

But that's about it.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Time for the Senate Republican'ts to offer Trump up to the proverbial Wicker Man and see if setting him aflame will make the spring crops grow again?