• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I wish someone leaked if they (Mistwalker and/or Apple) are planning to at least port this to Swtich because I am this close 👌 to use my free trial for the game but I don't like to play on my iPhone, especially because it's a 7 Plus with horrible battery life.

There's no reason to expect there isn't some plans for it to come elsewhere. I imagine Switch and PC are givens, at the very least, and it'll probably find its way to all the major platforms. I don't think there's been a major Apple Arcade exclusive that has stayed entirely exclusive, since Apple has no first party output. They're all timed deals.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Lord Fanny compare that potential lack of exclusivity against Mistwalker's history with ports and I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Lord Fanny compare that potential lack of exclusivity against Mistwalker's history with ports and I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

I assume you're mostly talking about the Terra Battle games? I guess that's a good point to consider, but iirc, those were kind of like live service games right that eventually were shut down? That seems to me to be a little different than Fantasian, which is a more traditional game. It also feels like there's a lot more high profile to it, something that one of the platform holders would probably be open to helping with.

Could be wrong, though, you never know. I still expect it'll at least find its way to PC and Switch, though.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I assume you're mostly talking about the Terra Battle games? I guess that's a good point to consider, but iirc, those were kind of like live service games right that eventually were shut down? That seems to me to be a little different than Fantasian, which is a more traditional game. It also feels like there's a lot more high profile to it, something that one of the platform holders would probably be open to helping with.

Could be wrong, though, you never know. I still expect it'll at least find its way to PC and Switch, though.

I think they're talking about every game mistwalker has made, basically. Almost all of them are exclusive to whatever platform.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Lost Odyssey was never ported. Blue Dragon was never ported. The Last Story was never ported.

None of Mistwalkers games have ever been ported except for some previous iOS exclusives hitting Android, but those also weren't funded + produced directly with Apple. There's a reason I bought an Apple TV to play this.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think they're talking about every game mistwalker has made, basically. Almost all of them are exclusive to whatever platform.

Lost Odyssey was never ported. Blue Dragon was never ported. The Last Story was never ported.

None of Mistwalkers games have ever been ported except for some previous iOS exclusives hitting Android, but those also weren't funded + produced directly with Apple.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were Microsoft first party titles, and The Last Story was a Nintendo first party title. All of those were also flops from what I recall, but the former two are still BC on Xbox iirc. So I don't know if those are good gauges for exclusivity considering those circumstances, and I already detailed why I don't think the mobile games ever made the jump, and I believe all are now delisted and discontinued? Though I may be wrong.

If this is actually a fully Apple-produced exclusive, then I guess you could be right. I guess we will know relatively soon one way or another.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Christmas came a few hours early!!

Update is installing now and I am pumped.
I only played about 3 hours of part 1 as I wanted to be able to play the full thing at once.

I have an Apple TV 4K and a SteelSeries controller. Can I have this display on my TV and play with controller?? My non gamer husbando loves watching me play FF games, so I really want him to be able to see what may be The Gooch's last big game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Christmas came a few hours early!!

Update is installing now and I am pumped.
I only played about 3 hours of part 1 as I wanted to be able to play the full thing at once.

I have an Apple TV 4K and a SteelSeries controller. Can I have this display on my TV and play with controller?? My non gamer husbando loves watching me play FF games, so I really want him to be able to see what may be The Gooch's last big game.

If the Steelseries controller is compatible with Apple TV, sure, but even if not you can sync a PS4/PS5 or Xbox controller.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were Microsoft first party titles, and The Last Story was a Nintendo first party title. All of those were also flops from what I recall, but the former two are still BC on Xbox iirc. So I don't know if those are good gauges for exclusivity considering those circumstances, and I already detailed why I don't think the mobile games ever made the jump, and I believe all are now delisted and discontinued? Though I may be wrong.

If this is actually a fully Apple-produced exclusive, then I guess you could be right. I guess we will know relatively soon one way or another.
I think the important point to note is that Mistwalker is a very small studio that also does not have publishing power and experience outside of mobile. Even their non-first party games have never been ported. Blue Dragon Plus and Away were both AQ Interactive games, Awakened Shadow was a Bandai Namco title. None of those were ported off the DS. Mistwalker has also made two non-service mobile titles - Party Wave and Blade Guardian. Neither were released on other platforms, and Blade Guardian was never released outside of iOS as well.

They just don't have much manpower. That's why even for the games they make, they tend to collaborate with other developers to provide production and QA support. Obviously this does not mean that there's never a first time for them to be able to consider porting a title to console platforms, but it is far from a given. Especially when Mistwalker likely has no dev kits for any current consoles, having been committed to mobile titles for years now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iunno, this one feels like a feather in the marketing cap of whichever platform holder secures the port, so I think it'll make its way elsewhere eventually (Nintendo goes father of Final Fantasy in a direct, Sony much the same, Microsoft goes continuing investment in Japanese games with someone we have history with, blah blah).

The only thing I'm sorta curious about is if Apple has subscription service exclusivity baked into the contracts for these, which would rule out game pass and any possibility of it landing on that platform.

Will hop into part two this weekend. Loved the first half.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I spent two hours playing part 2 and man, I don't know if I'm just rusty with the game or going to the wrong places or what, but I'm getting the absolute shit beat out of me! I didn't game over much in the main game, just on bosses, but now it's the packs of enemies messing me up. I just had to put in a huge effort just to clear my dimengion, including a couple of game overs 30ish enemies in.

I'm also feeling lost because I haven't been able to go back for 4ish months and don't remember where everything is intimately anymore. I really want to find some of my old guys but can't seem to figure out where to go to get them. I can tell that this is meant to be played as a cohesive whole instead of the way it was released.

my first impressions of the questing system at the expense of a narrative are somewhat negative.. but I'm so excited to be back in that I'm pushing through.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think the important point to note is that Mistwalker is a very small studio that also does not have publishing power and experience outside of mobile. Even their non-first party games have never been ported. Blue Dragon Plus and Away were both AQ Interactive games, Awakened Shadow was a Bandai Namco title. None of those were ported off the DS. Mistwalker has also made two non-service mobile titles - Party Wave and Blade Guardian. Neither were released on other platforms, and Blade Guardian was never released outside of iOS as well.

They just don't have much manpower. That's why even for the games they make, they tend to collaborate with other developers to provide production and QA support. Obviously this does not mean that there's never a first time for them to be able to consider porting a title to console platforms, but it is far from a given. Especially when Mistwalker likely has no dev kits for any current consoles, having been committed to mobile titles for years now.

Yeah, these are good points I hadn't considered. But I think Strings and I are on the same thought path

Iunno, this one feels like a feather in the marketing cap of whichever platform holder secures the port, so I think it'll make its way elsewhere eventually (Nintendo goes father of Final Fantasy in a direct, Sony much the same, Microsoft goes continuing investment in Japanese games with someone we have history with, blah blah).

The only thing I'm sorta curious about is if Apple has subscription service exclusivity baked into the contracts for these, which would rule out game pass and any possibility of it landing on that platform.

Will hop into part two this weekend. Loved the first half.

Definitely feels like a game that one of the three would pick up and help bring to a system which would then help them get the resources they needed. Guess this just feels like a more significant game than any they made in a long time and more traditional and easier to work with than their other recent output. But I could be wrong there, too, and the resources just won't be there

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Updated to v2.0 this morning, and jumped right back into it. It's fairly non-linear as promised, with quests opening up further progress.

I spent two hours playing part 2 and man, I don't know if I'm just rusty with the game or going to the wrong places or what, but I'm getting the absolute shit beat out of me! I didn't game over much in the main game, just on bosses, but now it's the packs of enemies messing me up. I just had to put in a huge effort just to clear my dimengion, including a couple of game overs 30ish enemies in.

I'm also feeling lost because I haven't been able to go back for 4ish months and don't remember where everything is intimately anymore. I really want to find some of my old guys but can't seem to figure out where to go to get them. I can tell that this is meant to be played as a cohesive whole instead of the way it was released.

my first impressions of the questing system at the expense of a narrative are somewhat negative.. but I'm so excited to be back in that I'm pushing through.
Talk to NPCs. Especially ones with book icons. They'll tell you where to go. The ones in En give you key hints to get you started.

Also, certain areas have recommended experience levels at the entrance.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't take long for me to remember what I hated about the first part. The battles take way too long. I'm actually browsing Era on my phone while doing a battle on my iPad because it's so goddamn boring.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck at the two robot bosses for the base defense??? I'm level 36 (the recommended level???) with the crew you finish part 1 with, but they're legit impossible.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Took a bit for Part 2 to get going for me since I went through the towns again talking to everyone and finding new stuff, but I like the progression now that I'm doing the story-based quests.

You can warp your characters from the bench into battle with no turn penalty (instead of losing a turn swapping them in), so that's really opening up the battle system in terms of strategy.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck at the two robot bosses for the base defense??? I'm level 36 (the recommended level???) with the crew you finish part 1 with, but they're legit impossible.

I figured it out after dying a couple times.

Do the level 34 story quest in Vibra so you have Ez... this probably is really hard without him.

First half of the battle, you need to use Slow on both Robots with Valkira, have Ez use quick on himself, then have Prickle/Leo/Ez use lightning attacks focusing on one of the robots (and healing as necessary). When the robots shoot their elemental down missiles and their energy orbs come out, the Red energy is countered by ice, blue by fire, purple by earth, and brown by lightning. Ez is pretty critical hear so you can target multiple energy orbs and blow them up before they can do their laser attacks. You should also get Ez's grenade radius upgrade in the growth map. It's okay to completely sell out to blow up their energy orbs as you'll get a couple turns to recover. The slow/quick combo gives you enough turns to wipe everything.

For the second half of the battle slow doesn't work anymore but you should be able to destroy one of the robots pretty soon and they should have their big attacks out of sync because of the slow you used earlier.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Does part 2 have any sort of recap or anything? I feel like I've probably forgotten a fair amount of things already since my memory sucks, really should've just waited for part 2 to be out to play through the whole thing like I usually do.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Does part 2 have any sort of recap or anything? I feel like I've probably forgotten a fair amount of things already since my memory sucks, really should've just waited for part 2 to be out to play through the whole thing like I usually do.

The cutscenes that ended Part 1 play again, so that gives you a bit of a recap. I read the story summary in the menu as well to help get caught back up.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
The game gives you a combat tutorial, sort of, and it sorta recaps the story. But overall, the game should never have been split this way. There's so much minutia that I had completely forgotten but that the game expects you to have played just last week.

I've been playing a ton and finally have a full party with all of their divine artifacts (well, except for the robot character who barely feels like a character). The game's bosses are really hard but it's rewarding to finally beat them. They're such struggles.

I've been resistant to the idea of swapping in characters mid-battle but I'm getting more comfortable with it as I learn each character's strengths and weaknesses more. I can offer some early tips if people need help getting going -- I'm currently level 42 or so. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to upgrade your equipment with whetstones and stuff like that. Not sure if that's still coming, if I didn't unlock it or if I just legitimately forgot it from part 1 months ago.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The game gives you a combat tutorial, sort of, and it sorta recaps the story. But overall, the game should never have been split this way. There's so much minutia that I had completely forgotten but that the game expects you to have played just last week.

I've been playing a ton and finally have a full party with all of their divine artifacts (well, except for the robot character who barely feels like a character). The game's bosses are really hard but it's rewarding to finally beat them. They're such struggles.

I've been resistant to the idea of swapping in characters mid-battle but I'm getting more comfortable with it as I learn each character's strengths and weaknesses more. I can offer some early tips if people need help getting going -- I'm currently level 42 or so. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to upgrade your equipment with whetstones and stuff like that. Not sure if that's still coming, if I didn't unlock it or if I just legitimately forgot it from part 1 months ago.

You need to start the quest to find the robots. Go to the forest where you fought the money tree. At the beginning, you can go to this little pond and find a robot.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Watching gameplay videos Part 2 seems 95% combat and 5% story/npc interaction. A significantly worse ratio than the already bad first part. Making me not that interested to continue.

It's a shame because I do like the dialogue and npc interaction. But if there's so little of it it's not worth my time to put up with the combat.

But then it might also be how people are playing.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
You need to start the quest to find the robots. Go to the forest where you fought the money tree. At the beginning, you can go to this little pond and find a robot.
yeah, I've found a couple. it feels lopsided compared to the others where you just have to enter a dungeon and beat a boss (though those bosses are motherfuckers)

OP
OP
Anaron

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving the quest system.

I was somewhat worried it would feel somewhat "fetch-ey" but it' very well designed into the story.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The quests just seem to be go to these previously visited places and beat boss, which themselves have been previously fought bosses or re-skinned enemies. There hasn't been much effort put into the storytelling/cutscenes so far, so it just feels poor.

The combat has opened up a little more with the growth grids and being able to swap characters in battle. The Growth grids could probably have used more interesting skills though for the two that I've unlocked. Let's see what the other characters get.

Having said all that, I'm finding it all very chill and relaxing just going back to all the old areas and talking to everyone. It's worth speaking to everyone to get free stuff and unlock quests. I also like how the quests tell you the level required so you can plan accordingly. The areas themselves highlight the level values sometimes, so that's great.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
I think my biggest thing with the revisiting is just how much revisiting you do. Like, I'll get a character back and there's a quest to find every NPC that wants to come on my boat. I'll go do that, and then I'll get back another character who has some other quest that makes you scour the cities again. Mechterite, the robot guys, the Urza, cats.. I'm sure there are a few others too. Oh, and don't get me started on the chest keys. It's like the dioramas guided the game design and made them want you to see every corner of them ten times over. It feels like the first JRPG metroidvania with how much backtracking there is.

Anyway, I'm up to level 48 which means I can finally survive the level 42 bosses if I don't fuck up. This shit is hard! Enjoying it though.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I keep wanting to play this with a controller but I just end up going back to touch controls so I can use my finger to draw out those attack arcs.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
😳wait wha.. where did this come from? This game looks fkn amazing? I have so many questions right now lol.

I have an iPhone XR, is that good? Should I get Apple TV w/ controller? What?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I think my biggest thing with the revisiting is just how much revisiting you do. Like, I'll get a character back and there's a quest to find every NPC that wants to come on my boat. I'll go do that, and then I'll get back another character who has some other quest that makes you scour the cities again. Mechterite, the robot guys, the Urza, cats.. I'm sure there are a few others too. Oh, and don't get me started on the chest keys. It's like the dioramas guided the game design and made them want you to see every corner of them ten times over. It feels like the first JRPG metroidvania with how much backtracking there is.

Anyway, I'm up to level 48 which means I can finally survive the level 42 bosses if I don't fuck up. This shit is hard! Enjoying it though.

Oh god, there are more quests like the robots? Jesus, your entire post makes me almost not want to continue playing 😵‍💫

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love

Ha, I totally get where you're coming from with this, man. I'm not sure why backtracking in JRPGs has never really bothered me but it's a legitimate critique regardless.

I'm loving the game overall and I'm glad you are as well!

transience

Oct 27, 2017

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has ever encapsulated the JRPG more than this one single line/image. What a lovely game.

E8w8ydNWUAgdhoF

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying part 2 and this is shaping up to be a classic JRPG in my mind.
Can anyone explain to me
what am I suppose to do for the Lost in the Multiverse quest to get the two ladies back in my party? The quest description is so vague; "go to the wormhole". I've gone through the hole several times, collecting all the rooftop treasure chests, and eventually looping back around and getting no where. I am way overlevelled for this quest now and I still don't understand what I am missing.
Also can't find this robot #4 "in a mech infested town". I searched east Vence, the capital, and En. Am I blind?!

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
After you've fallen through the wormhole and things loop, take the Urza to where the wormhole is on the world map and a scene will play

transience

Oct 27, 2017
I have so many quests that I just don't know what to do or where to go. I'd love a guide or something to point me in the right direction, but not many people are playing the game and there isn't a good resource that I've found. I'm looking for marks on the walls or where the next robot is and ten other versions of the same thing. I end up just fighting an infinite amount of dimengion battles trying to find things. If this game is trying to be FF6 then it needs a goddamn Moogle Charm so I can find everything!