• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Criminalization of homelessness is very bipartisan.

It really is. Of course, this is one issue where there are (thankfully) a fair amount of conservatives that are pro-housing first. However, Trump made homelessness more partisan than it's been previously, and Trumpets are following suit.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks for your own annoying holier than though statement on the topic and analysis of the words I didn't say. Hope it moved the needle for someone somewhere.
it wasn't holier than thou, it was why to people bring tangental arguments into something that has nothing to do with the topic or justifications. i'm not pretending I've never done that

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly do private jail and prisoner services plan to get money from folks who don't have any?

It's not about the money. It's about cruelty.
They charge the state to provide services to prisons and the state forces prisoners to work for slave wages to produce billions of dollars of goods and services.

www.theguardian.com

US prison workers produce $11bn worth of goods and services a year for pittance

New report by American Civil Liberties Union says incarcerated laborers are either poorly compensated or not at all

The prisoners are the commodity

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this idea, fuck the cities/states that have/will implement it, and fuck trying to paint this as something only conservatives do.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
They charge the state to provide services to prisons and the state forces prisoners to work for slave wages to produce billions of dollars of goods and services.

www.theguardian.com

US prison workers produce $11bn worth of goods and services a year for pittance

New report by American Civil Liberties Union says incarcerated laborers are either poorly compensated or not at all

The prisoners are the commodity

The state, in turn, charges the incarcerated person. They will never get the money back.

I'm still not seeing why the state would do this for money if they are losing money all around. They are doing it for cruelty. To punish unhoused folks.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
The state, in turn, charges the incarcerated person. They will never get the money back.

I'm still not seeing why the state would do this for money if they are losing money all around. They are doing it for cruelty. To punish unhoused folks.
Because the state is made up of people who get bribed lobbied to support positions that would otherwise not be to their benefit. It's the same tune as lots of other issues

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see one of these stories pop up, I never understand why more priority isn't placed on creating affordable or free housing with on-site help for mental health, job placement, and just things to help people get back on their feet. I swore that if I ever got flithy rich, I would purchase some abandoned warehouse to fix up for this purpose. But I guess it's just easier to be cruel.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

It's cruelty, certainly. And there's the out of sight out of mind crowd. And there's the paternalistic "let's give them treatment but only in the way I think they deserve it" crowd. And there's some folks who benefit from kickbacks from their friends or donors who run prison contracting services or private for-profit residential treatment facilities.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are plenty of civilians who would oppose the homeless being housed near them.

Easy to just blame the GOP but laws such as this wouldn't get done if enough people actually opposed such evil.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Politicians are lacking self preservation instincts. Pretty soon you are going to have so many suffering that it will lead to violent response.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Because the state is made up of people who get bribed lobbied to support positions that would otherwise not be to their benefit. It's the same tune as lots of other issues

I get that but the private corporations will still lose money on unhoused folks since they won't be taking part in a lot of services, because they have no cash, or they won't get the cash later. The point of the private providers in jails is for them to make money off both the incarcerated person and the state. They would only be making money off of one in this scenario, the state, which guarantees them money already. As a case manager for those with severe mental illnesses, many of which are unhoused, we always lose contact with them when they go to jail, most often due to encampment bans and the like, because they cannot afford to use the services.

It's cruelty, certainly. And there's the out of sight out of mind crowd. And there's the paternalistic "let's give them treatment but only in the way I think they deserve it" crowd. And there's some folks who benefit from kickbacks from their friends or donors who run prison contracting services or private for-profit residential treatment facilities.

Kickbacks only work if there is money to kickback. There's no real money for jailing unhoused folks because they often don't have any at all or very little. They won't be using the services that most other folks in jail will.

Last edited:

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Tennessee has a similar law that goes into effect on July 1st and it makes camping on a public property a felony(!) as if these people aren't dehumanized enough. Pure cruelty/fuck you got mine/prosperity gospel bullshit. The people passing this shit are subhuman trash.

The state being able to sue counties to enforce is some next level evil shit.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Cruelty is the point. People are sick and the lack of human decency is disgusting.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I get that but the private corporations will still lose money on unhoused folks since they won't be taking part in a lot of services, because they have no cash, or they won't get the cash later. The point of the private providers in jails is for them to make money off both the incarcerated person and the state. They would only be making money off of one in this scenario, the state, which guarantees them money already. As a case manager for those with severe mental illnesses, many of which are unhoused, we always lose contact with them when they go to jail, most often due to encampment bans and the like, because they cannot afford to use the services.

Kickbacks only work if there is money to kickback. There's no real money for jailing unhoused folks because they often don't have any at all or very little. They won't be using the services that most other folks in jail will.

So let me clarify from earlier, the taxes come from state and local taxes that are allocated based on a per-person-incarcerated rate. The money doesn't come directly from people who are incarcerated.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
So let me clarify from earlier, the taxes come from state and local taxes that are allocated based on a per-person-incarcerated rate. The money doesn't come directly from people who are incarcerated.

I know that's how it works with private prisons but I'm not sure private contracted services work that way in jails.

Money for services does though. Jails only have so much room. If the goal is to get kickbacks, why jail someone who is highly unlikely to use services that will result in you getting kickbacks when you can jail someone who will use said services?

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
I get that but the private corporations will still lose money on unhoused folks since they won't be taking part in a lot of services, because they have no cash, or they won't get the cash later. The point of the private providers in jails is for them to make money off both the incarcerated person and the state. They would only be making money off of one in this scenario, the state, which guarantees them money already. As a case manager for those with severe mental illnesses, many of which are unhoused, we always lose contact with them when they go to jail because they cannot afford to use the services.
Those aren't the only services a prison needs, though. Lots of companies provide services directly to prisons (supplying everything from toilet paper to food, etc).

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Those aren't the only services a prison needs, though. Lots of companies provide services directly to prisons (supplying everything from toilet paper to food, etc).

I agree except that doesn't mean jailing unhoused folks is worth it for anyone. They will supply those things whether or not you jail unhoused folks.

I do want to point out that we are talking about jails here and not prisons. This is a Class C Misdemeanor with very little jail time attached. This doesn't have to do with prisons.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

In addition, people experiencing homelessness under this law will be compelled to enter camps (built by who?) and compelled to receive mental health and substance use services (provided, again, by who?). So people are going to be forced to participate.

There are certainly larger drivers of punishing people for even experiencing homelessness, but who benefits is also always a worthy question.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Its almost as if they're planning to harvest all these people who are going to potentially get evicted when this housing crisis goes even further south. Almost...

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As always, the issue isn't that a problem exists, it's that we see the problem with our eyes.

Ghoulish shit. We already know housing the homeless saves money, and we have a fuckton of vacant housing in this country. But I'm sure the GOP would advocate a literal death squad before even entertaining something close to a compassionate policy here.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
In addition, people experiencing homelessness under this law will be compelled to enter camps (built by who?) and compelled to receive mental health and substance use services (provided, again, by who?). So people are going to be forced to participate.

There are certainly larger drivers of punishing people for even experiencing homelessness, but who benefits is also always a worthy question.

I'm not seeing where under the law they would be compelled to enter these camps. If anything, it means folks will move away from these camps, especially if they undoubtedly have stipulations to enter the encampments.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing where under the law they would be compelled to enter these camps. If anything, it means folks will move away from these camps, especially if they undoubtedly have stipulations to enter the encampments.

It's the classic "we see you experiencing homelessness, you can go to jail or enter this alternative (here - camps that require mental health or substance use service as a condition of being there)." This is very common and what's made law here.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
One of my old kids is constantly in jail for trespassing because he is homeless. It's sad that he hasn't gotten the help he needs.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I look forward to the law that ensures universal housing to everyone in the state.

*crickets*

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
lmao what is going on in the US?
it gets worse by the day. feels like they are doing a retrogression back to the stone age.

first the abortion law, then making it even easier to own guns even after all what happened recently and now this.
I mean its just a state with this law but its not like making it any better.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It's the classic "we see you experiencing homelessness, you can go to jail or enter this alternative (here - camps that require mental health or substance use service as a condition of being there)." This is very common and what's made law here.

And often, unhoused folks will instead choose neither and find secluded places to go making it even harder to find them especially since the encampment will, very likely, have stipulations to enter and remain.

And the slave labor. Forcing prisoners to get paid 5 cents an hour for something the prison is getting paid $15 an hour for.

Slave labor in jails? Jails are not prisons. I think that's the biggest disconnect here.

I misspoke as well when I said prisoner services. I should have only said jail services.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
And often, unhoused folks will instead choose neither and find secluded places to go making it even harder to find them especially since the encampment will, very likely, have stipulations to enter and remain.

Slave labor in jails? Jails are not prisons. I think that's the biggest disconnect here.

I misspoke as well when I said prisoner services. I should have only said jail services.

Yep that's correct on the effect of both jails and congregate - shared living arraignment- shelters. Thankfully, engagement increases pretty substantially once people are offered permanent housing options or even non-congregate shelter (like North Carolina and California's use of motels during the early pandemic). In California, in particular, providers found that it's taken a year or more of people experiencing unsheltered homelessness (who then moved into non-congregate motels) to get stable/feel comfortable enough to really engage with treatment providers. And tons of these folks had "failed" out of 30/60/90 day programs previously.

Thankfully, Housing First approaches like this are evidence-based and generally increase engagement (while reducing homelessness).

Last edited:
Signed into law by the governor
OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, Missouri's governor signed this into law.

The measure institutes penalties for residing or sleeping on state land without permission.
After one warning, for example, anyone found camping on state land would face a Class C misdemeanor, a charge punishable with up to a $750 fine and 15 days in jail.

The bill also removes funding from localities with high homeless populations that refuse to enforce local ordinances that bar the homeless from public camping and obstructing sidewalks.

Sen. Holly Thompson Rehder, R-Sikeston, said giving homeless individuals a free apartment is not getting to the root of the problem.
"They need mental health treatment, substance abuse counseling and support beyond just a roof over their head," Rehder said during debate on the issue this spring.

"They need mental health treatment, substance abuse counseling and support beyond just a roof over their head," Rehder said during debate on the issue this spring.

Supreme gaslighting by the anti-evidence-based-practice-of-Housing-First crowd. Housing First is getting people into housing while having teams continuously assertively offer supportive services. Of course, many people thrive just by getting housing.

www.stltoday.com

Missouri governor signs law aimed at cracking down on homeless camps

The law would strip funding from localities with high homeless populations that refuse to enforce local ordinances that bar the homeless from public camping and obstructing sidewalks.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
hurting those who cant defend themselves is definitely about as evil as it gets

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
So this "mental health treatment, substance abuse counseling and support beyond just a roof over their head" will all be provided while in jail and available after release?

Also $750 is beyond ludicrous. The fact there is any financial component is pure evil because "only 15 days" then gets extended/piled on when the fine cannot be paid.

What are some genuine examples of positively helping the homeless/temporarily displaced?