• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

SCV: Gov. Tate Reeves Proclaimed ‘Confederate Heritage Month’ on April 3

As coronavirus spiked across the state, the Mississippi Sons of Confederate Veterans posted an April 3 state proclamation proclaiming that this month is “Confederate Heritage Month.” Gov. Tate Reeves apparently signed the proclamation two days after he did an about-face and issued a statewide...

As coronavirus spiked across the state, the Mississippi Sons of Confederate Veterans posted a copy of an April 3 state proclamation naming this month as "Confederate Heritage Month." Gov. Tate Reeves apparently signed the proclamation two days after he did an about-face and issued a statewide shelter-at-home order due to rising COVID-19 infections in Mississippi.

"God bless the Confederate Soldier. He shall never be forgotten. Deo Vindice!" the Mississippi SCV's April 3 Facebook post read about the proclamation. "Deo Vindice," Latin for "Under God as our Vindicator," appeared on the official seal of the Confederacy and was the Confederacy's motto.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They should all get together and celebrate the Confederacy. Hold hands. Kumbaya. Make out. Go to church. It'll be fun. Like a picnic where nothing bad happens 5-14 days later.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe we let a bunch of dumb shit traitors join this country. I suppose they'd like to marry their cousins freely too.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Celebrating the losing side should only be done when you can't help but cheer for them. Like The Rock vs Steve Austin, or when the Buffalo Bills lost four straight Superbowls.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Okay. Please celebrate it inside your own homes, with no more than zero (0) other individuals within six feet (6').

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Why is a Republican governor signing this? Thought Democratic Party is the party of KKK, and Confederacy. 🤔

PhotonicBrain

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should either just hock loogies into each other's mouths, or better yet; shit into each others mouths! :D

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Confederacy and all its symbols should have been banned after the end of the Civil War, just as Nazism and all of its symbols were banned after WWII. And while I'm generally anti-death penalty for a multitude of reasons, Jefferson Davis, Alexander Stephens, and Robert E. Lee at minimum should have all been hanged for treason.

(Obviously, this is nothing more than a pipe dream, cause no way in hell any of this was happening even if Lincoln hadn't been assassinated. But the story in the OP is what you get when an ideology and culture every bit as reprehensible as Nazism is allowed to continue to fester across a massive portion of this country for 150+ years.)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Confederate worshippers are an absolute trip. And highly racist.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Legit was taught this in school in the South.

Hell, I grew up in the progressive Northwest, and while we were vaguely taught about slavery and the Confederates being the "baddies" in elementary school, they also divvied up the class into Union and Confederate sides to do a role-play of the war. So you have a bunch of fifth-graders with little context and understanding pretending to be rebel soldiers and thinking "this is awesome!" At least by high school we had a clearer picture of the historical overview, but I still look back at that and think "what the fuck?"

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just amazing to me that the party of "you lost get over it" reps the Confederate flag

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, I grew up in the progressive Northwest, and while we were vaguely taught about slavery and the Confederates being the "baddies" in elementary school, they also divvied up the class into Union and Confederate sides to do a role-play of the war. So you have a bunch of fifth-graders with little context and understanding pretending to be rebel soldiers and thinking "this is awesome!" At least by high school we had a clearer picture of the historical overview, but I still look back at that and think "what the fuck?"
Yeah that kind of thing is pretty insidious imo.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
"Tate Reeves" sounds like an antebellum term for septic anal lesions.

giphy.gif

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the year 2020...Stuff like this makes me feel like we are fighting a battle that will never end.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why is a Republican governor signing this? Thought Democratic Party is the party of KKK, and Confederacy. 🤔
It's amazing, isn't it? The Republican party was founded to beat the Confederacy and the slavery it stood for before it even formally existed. Now they're its biggest champions. The sight of a Governor in 2020 in front of a massive Confederate battle flag is grotesque and sickening.

Easily forgiving treason and letting the Southern states back in with structurally more political power to then win the war in the decades after is perhaps the worst mistake in US history. Should have either permanently humbled the Southern states or not let them back in. Oh, and all the traitors in leadership should have been hanged, of course.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
America never coming to terms with the civil war is probably what fucked more the country in the long run.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Honoring those southern values of holding onto your racism even at the risk of death.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this people constantly tell you who they are but people refuses to believe them