• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Most states should join in and come up with new designs, the vast majority are just garbage.

Massachusetts has to keep its bitchin' sword and motto though.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, is it the worst? It's definitely fucking awful, but isn't Georgia's flag LITERALLY the actual official flag of the CSA with the Georgia seal stamped on it?

Let's hope they vote to change it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The five finalists:

Five-flags.jpeg

That second one is bland.
I think the third one is better personally, save for the tiny text. There's just a few too many elements in the one they chose. Still, it's a surprisingly decent win for a design by committee.

I mean, is it the worst? It's definitely fucking awful, but isn't Georgia's flag LITERALLY the actual official flag of the CSA with the Georgia seal stamped on it?

Would you prefer what it replaced?

Flag_of_the_State_of_Georgia_%282001–2003%29.svg

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There is a reason why you see the DC and Chicago flags everywhere in those cities yet no one uses NYC or LA flags in those respective cities.
What is the reason?

City and state flags is something I was thinking about recently. I asked a few people where I live (we were all born+raised in NYC) and we all agreed that we feel much more patriotic towards our city and/or our state than to our country, yet none of us own a flag of our city or state. Not that I'm saying I want to go out and display NY State flag merchandise lol, but I wouldn't mind having a state flag. I just never see them anywhere, nor have I ever thought about it.

You do see them here in NYC on occasion, though, like in state parks.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, why do you people keep replying to me with stuff like "have you seen money?" as if that's some kind of own? I'm aware the phrase is on money. Guess what, it's not ideal for the government to make an explicit endorsement of a religion on money either.

Which religion are they explicitly endorsing? Has the government tried to establish a state church? The founding fathers were theists, so recognizing the existence of A god isn't necessarily unconstitutional. I'm not a fan of it either, but honestly it being so commonplace has probably removed any religious connotation for the vast majority of Americans.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Which religion are they explicitly endorsing? Has the government tried to establish a state church? The founding fathers were theists, so recognizing the existence of A god isn't necessarily unconstitutional.

Except it's "God," singular, capitalized.

And the founding fathers didn't make "In God We Trust" the motto, reactionary politicians in the fifties did.

I don't especially care to debate this in this thread, but thank you for following up with a comment that wasn't just "have you seen money"

Last edited:

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Except it's "God," singular, capitalized.

And the founding fathers didn't make "In God We Trust" the motto, reactionary politicians in the fifties did.

Okay, lots of religions use that spelling, whats your point? It has been used on coins since the 1800s, and "so help me god" has been used for every presidential oath ever. Versions of it have appeared on bills and flags for the entire history of our country, and the Star Spangled Banner stated it was our motto I get your point, but if your argument is going to use history you should look a little more comprehensively.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
IN GAWD WE TREUST.

I can't wait until America drops this whole super Christian act. It's getting so tiring.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What is the reason?

City and state flags is something I was thinking about recently. I asked a few people where I live (we were all born+raised in NYC) and we all agreed that we feel much more patriotic towards our city and/or our state than to our country, yet none of us own a flag of our city or state. Not that I'm saying I want to go out and display NY State flag merchandise lol, but I wouldn't mind having a state flag. I just never see them anywhere, nor have I ever thought about it.

You do see them here in NYC on occasion, though, like in state parks.
Because the NYC flag doesn't adhere to the five points outlined by the American Vexillology Association.

It's the stupid seal. Remove that and you willsee vastly increased usage.

Repeat it with me: Seals. Don't. Belong. On. Flags.

Last edited:

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
…and?

(Actually only been on bills since the fifties, because communism.)

huh. do we ignore the entire religious aspect of this? Or was your comment only made to claim Eisenhower was a communist? it's a cool buzzword and stuff, i guess

weird

Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania

The Congress passed the Act of April 22, 1864. This legislation changed the composition of the one-cent coin and authorized the minting of the two-cent coin. The Mint Director was directed to develop the designs for these coins for final approval of the Secretary. IN GOD WE TRUST first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
huh. do we ignore the entire religious aspect of this? Or was your comment only made to claim Eisenhower was a communist? it's a cool buzzword and stuff, i guess

weird

You know I said "on bills" in my post, right?

It wasn't until the fifties when "under god" was added to the pledge of allegiance and "in god we trust" added to bills, both as part of a cold-war-era popular reaction against the state atheism of marxist-leninist countries

I wasn't saying Eisenhower was a communist, and I really don't know how you got that from my post

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Okay okay maybe this is me being paranoid but.....

The confederacy had 11 US states in it.

This flag has 10 white stars on the left, 10 white stars on the right, and 1 yellow star in the middle (representing Mississippi). Some people mentioned that Mississippi was the 20th US state to join but then why do you end up with 21 when adding the white and yellow stars? If you add just the left or just the right half of white stars with the yellow star, then you get 11 total stars.

Also, putting in the god stuff is just some petty bs.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Okay okay maybe this is me being paranoid but.....

The confederacy had 11 US states in it.

This flag has 10 white stars on the left, 10 white stars on the right, and 1 yellow star in the middle (representing Mississippi). Some people mentioned that Mississippi was the 20th US state to join but then why do you end up with 21 when adding the white and yellow stars? If you add just the left or just the right half of white stars with the yellow star, then you get 11 total stars.

Also, putting in the god stuff is just some petty bs.

The yellow star made of five diamonds is a symbol designed by the Choctaw Nation. Several of the finalists originally only had 20 stars but their designers all agreed to alter their designs to add the Choctaw star.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017

Ya Georgia's last three flags have all either bad a confederate flag on it or been based on a Confederate flag.

Georgia_High_Res.png

I made this one real quick one day to make a less racist one that is more based on the original Georgia State flag. Though that is debatable as Georgia like most US states only received an official state flag due to the civil war and seceding.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Almost makes you forget the state is garbage.

That said, this should really kick start an overhaul in redesigning a lot of state flags. Many of them are just terrible.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Almost makes you forget the state is garbage.

That said, this should really kick start an overhaul in redesigning a lot of state flags. Many of them are just terrible.
Don't you dare touch our bear!
(even though we haven't had a grizzly in the state for over 100 years)

After looking at some of the other state flags....yeah, lotsa garbo
At least Mississippi's isn't one of them anymore!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I kinda doubt that. The liberals of Mississippi are pretty religious too, it is probably just a neutral statement most legislators could agree with.
Not "liberals of Mississippi", liberals in general. Doesn't matter if liberals are religious or not. "In God We Trust" is one of the Right's perceived "wars", and it absolutely tracks for them to see mandating it as a blow to liberals. That's how conservatives think and operate.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely an improvement over the previous one that glorifies the confederacy.
I don't care either way about the "In God We Trust" part. I imagine it was the best they could do to still appease their constituents butthurt over having to redesign the flag at all.