• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't already certain, it is now: Cruise is the best action star ever to come out of Hollywood, precisely because he pivoted from how Hollywood typically approaches action. He goes for the practical, the inventive and the technically challenging.

Now please give me an action movie with Cruise and Keanu.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
If it wasn't already certain, it is now: Cruise is the best action star ever to come out of Hollywood, precisely because he pivoted from how Hollywood typically approaches action. He goes for the practical, the inventive and the technically challenging.

Hell yeah. Keanu joins Cruise on the IMF. Nic Cage is the bad guy.

Best movie of all time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'm jelly as fuck.

Our IMAX in Sydney is still being renovated so I couldn't catch it on IMAX. You can tell the movie would be amazing in IMAX though.

I tend to make the trip to IMAX for Nolan and MI movies since they seem to take the camera in mind for their big setpiece scenes.

Plus I heard they're playing a preview of that Neil Armstrong movie by Damien Chazelle so that should be cool

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Watching Fallout directly after rewatching the first film was a real trip. Tonal disparities aside, the most striking divergence is in the actual Ethan Hunt character, who I feel has increasingly become a bit of a saintly figure. De Palma's Hunt was so goddamn vicious and calculating -- MI1 is one of the few movies I've seen where the hero is actually a full step ahead of the villain for the latter half of the story (and probably a step ahead of the audience). He's a good guy, but he's slick and he's positively savage.

Now in Fallout we have supporting characters brought to tears as they recount Hunt's virtues. Everyone talks about how nice Ethan is; his ex-wife, his coworkers, his boss, even his enemies. Hunt's commitment to protecting people is now his defining character trait. It's not a bad way to go with this character, but it feels like such a gulf from where he was 1996. I'd prefer a little bit of nuance, but Ethan Hunt seems to only enjoy character development in the odd-numbered installments. For now, he's a superhero.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

Oh, easily. Cruise goes above and beyond. Listen to him or McQuarrie talking about the filming of this or Rogue Nation, it's amazing just how much Cruise trained to do specific scenes legit.

Watching Fallout directly after rewatching the first film was a real trip. Tonal disparities aside, the most striking divergence is in the actual Ethan Hunt character, who I feel has increasingly become a bit of a saintly figure. De Palma's Hunt was so goddamn vicious and calculating -- MI1 is one of the few movies I've seen where the hero is actually a full step ahead of the villain for the latter half of the story (and probably a step ahead of the audience). He's a good guy, but he's slick and he's positively savage.

Now in Fallout we have supporting characters brought to tears as they recount Hunt's virtues. Everyone talks about how nice Ethan is; his ex-wife, his coworkers, his boss, even his enemies. Hunt's commitment to protecting people is now his defining character trait. It's not a bad way to go with this character, but it feels like such a gulf from where he was 1996. I'd prefer a little bit of nuance, but Ethan Hunt seems to only enjoy character development in the odd-numbered installments. For now, he's a superhero.

It feels pretty natural considering the journey Ethan has been on since Mission Impossible 1.

He's a full on legend. I'd call him more of a Solid Snake type character than a superhero. Benji being his Otacon.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Maybe it's just me, but Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt feels like Nathan Drake at times. I mean Drake is not as skillful as Hunt in a shootout, but just like Drake, Hunt is shown in desperate situation and get by because of luck. Cruise expression in action scenes also sell that he's in bad situation as opposed to look stoic and badass. the extended setpieces also feel like something you might find in Uncharted, especially 4. Where action scenes lead to another action scenes and create this long elaborate setpieces.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
More thoughts after a shitty night's sleep thanks to shitty humid weather:

1] Fallout has the two obvious meanings, but the third is: he falls out a plane! And a fourth: he falls out with Ilsa (briefly)

2] His last scene with Julia made me think the film is a meta-commentary on Cruise himself whose dangerous enthusiasm for stunts and busy lifestyle keep him away from his family. Cheeky of him to speak for them through Julia, and assuage his guilt lol.

3] McQuarrie introduces the main antagonist of Walker, then promptly has him pass out in mid-air like an asshole forcing Hunt to save him, and then once Walker wakes up, the dude doesn't even know. Lol.

4] The film is a direct sequel because Solomon Lane is the only bad guy Hunt never killed. See, this is what happens! Listen to everyone in this thread Mr Hunt, don't turn into Batman! That guy's an idiot!

5] I wonder what Jackie Chan thinks about this movie. I think Cruise has done shit in Fallout Jackie never did, and they're probably the same age lol.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It feels pretty natural considering the journey Ethan has been on since Mission Impossible 1.

He's a full on legend. I'd call him more of a Solid Snake type character than a superhero. Benji being his Otacon.
Nah, Luther is his Otacon. Benji is Raiden.
2] His last scene with Julia made me think the film is a meta-commentary on Cruise himself whose dangerous enthusiasm for stunts and busy lifestyle keep him away from his family.
That would be Scientology.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
B roll footage of Fallout. Over 30 minutes of random behind the scenes stuff.

EDIT: This shit is more insane than the movie. Tom driving the bike and car like a madman without fancy editing is scary shit.

EDIT EDIT: This also shows how integral Tom is to planning the action sequences, improvising moments in the planning stages, such as when he's coming up with ideas on character moments and potentially camera blocking during the helicopter chase sequence.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: LOL, at everyone saying goodbye to Tom as he's about to get into his chopper, like his life is coming to an end.

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt feels like Nathan Drake at times. I mean Drake is not as skillful as Hunt in a shootout, but just like Drake, Hunt is shown in desperate situation and get by because of luck. Cruise expression in action scenes also sell that he's in bad situation as opposed to look stoic and badass. the extended setpieces also feel like something you might find in Uncharted, especially 4. Where action scenes lead to another action scenes and create this long elaborate setpieces.
McQuarrie mentioned U3 as an inspiration for Rogue Nation's plane sequence. There are fans of the series on his team, and they're aware of its popularity and the things it did good, so it wouldn't be surprising if that feedback went on with this one. Personally, I felt a powerful urge of replaying U4 after watching the movie. What MI offers as a viewing experience is not that removed from what Uncharted proposes in interactive format. And the general resemblance between Drake and Cruise did also get staggering in U4, even with some touches of Nolan North on him. Drake is not Hunt and viceversa, but there's that common "air" between them and it's super cool to imagine them as part of some common universe.

Also, there's a scene in this film that reminded me and my mate of the last Hitman (Paris, bathroom). It's probably more casual, but it was funny to consider how easily you could put that in play with Agent 47.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Plus I heard they're playing a preview of that Neil Armstrong movie by Damien Chazelle so that should be cool

First Man preview was cool. Very good use of sound. Honestly got a little scared when they did this completely silent wide shot after he steps on to the moon.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
That was awesome, my favorite ending of all the MIs so far. I like that they gave Ilsa more, how Ethan's boss was on his side this time (so it's not 'cast out by his government' again). Also, how lucky is Cavill to get this role - I don't remember any new villain or ally in this franchise having as much screentime, probably because he's playing both sides. He was physically intimidating, but his punches looked slow to me? Definitely doesn't look as adept as Cruise who's been doing it for ages. Superman needs to learn how to fight.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The bathroom scene was a trip having not seen anything about it beyond the first trailer. I went it expecting cavil to kick ass only to see lark's stand in opening up a serious can of whoop ass.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
That was awesome, my favorite ending of all the MIs so far. I like that they gave Ilsa more, how Ethan's boss was on his side this time (so it's not 'cast out by his government' again). Also, how lucky is Cavill to get this role - I don't remember any new villain or ally in this franchise having as much screentime, probably because he's playing both sides. He was physically intimidating, but his punches looked slow to me? Definitely doesn't look as adept as Cruise who's been doing it for ages. Superman needs to learn how to fight.

I feel like Zack Synder is the worst thing to happen to Cavill's career, just derailed it completely. He could have been making more waves with roles like this, he's got charisma and is strangely memorable. I could only stand an hour of that insufferable Guy Ritchie spy movie he was in, but he was good in that too.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
What a great flick. Some of the best hollywood action set pieces in years. Look forward to 7.

Cavill was super impressive too.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think Fallout is better than GP, but GP is the number two best in the franchise and the set-pieces are pretty great throughout. The parking garage is relatively weak, but 90% of Ghost Protocol is incredibly fun and creative.

—The prison break-out, set to the Dean Martin song, is as funny as it is exciting
—Same goes for the break-in to the Kremlin with the 'red light, green light' game with the eye-tracking device
—The opening (and flashback to) the Josh Holloway mission
—Cruise escaping the hospital from the French detective
—Cruise & Renner running to catch the secret base train
—The sandstorm car chase after the Burj acrobatics

Within those are so many great physical comedy beats mixed within the action, it's really impressive. You're free to not appreciate them, of course, but you're definitely wrong ;)
None of the ones you listed were in any way impressive as a set piece. They were funny or fun such as Renner and Cruise catching the train but not visually striking. McQuarrie's movies aren't as fun as Bird's but the set pieces are more designed to impress.

The Kremlin one for example has the team using a balloon to drop a device that transfers data to Russian computers then simply walk downstairs where they use the AR tracking device and a directed sound replicator to enter the archives. Messing with the guard downstairs is funny but in no way is it demanding or taxing on a physical level.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait till the bathroom brawl is on YouTube. Definitely the most visceral fist fight I've seen in an American action movie in a while

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I remember seeing in the movie trailer which I saw a million times a scene where Ethan's helicopter was about to collide with a mack truck and I always wondered htf they would get him out of that situation. Am I crazy or did that scene not happen at all in the movie? Not that I'm complaining as that helicopter sequence was AMAZING but just thought that was interesting. Sorry if it has already been discussed.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
So I remember seeing in the movie trailer which I saw a million times a scene where Ethan's helicopter was about to collide with a mack truck and I always wondered htf they would get him out of that situation. Am I crazy or did that scene not happen at all in the movie? Not that I'm complaining as that helicopter sequence was AMAZING but just thought that was interesting. Sorry if it has already been discussed.

Got cut. Test screenings indicated a little too much action and the movie is pretty long as is.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
God I need to get back into that theater ASAP. That was god tier, fury road levels of hard ownage. I loved that it was an actual direct sequel, as MI3 was always one of my favorites. The bathroom scene, the motorcycle chase, the halo jump, basically all the scenes and set pieces In the film were firing on all cylinders.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got cut. Test screenings indicated a little too much action and the movie is pretty long as is.
I don't even know how the hell that was even gonna fit there coherently given what we got.

What's the Max callback in GP?

Ethan has to talk to another arms dealer in the movie. Before that though, he has to get "abducted" with a bag on his head again, so he ends up meeting the same dude who did the same thing to him, with the same bag in the first movie.

Last edited:

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know how the hell that was even gonna fit that there coherently given what we got.

If I had to guess, there must have been an action sequence before the helicopter sequence in Kashmir, which led to them discovering that camp with all the dead people that was also cut from the first part of trailer 1 (or other way around).

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, when Ethan noticed the hook above was gonna come down the cliff wall, I was half-expecting Ethan to swing his body out of the way so that he was facing outward from the wall MI2 style.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was half expecting them to do this shot again when Ethan started climbing that cliff.

giphy.gif

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
watched it earlier
solid 8.5/10
i think it's a bit too long, didn't expect a 2 and a half hours show
you can feel tom is getting too old for this, i expect at most 2 more MI films before passing the torch

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing I was half expecting once the helicopter fuel sprayed all over Cavill's face, was the film somehow ending with Ethan lighting the trail of helicopter fluid from a pathetically escaping Cavill as a "light the fuse" moment that would lead into the MI theme and credits.

Luckily, we got Hookface instead.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i thought cavill's character would survive and be the next film's main villain
i mean after the oil burn he's pretty much a bond villain

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing I was half expecting once the helicopter fuel sprayed all over Cavill's face, was the film somehow ending with Ethan lighting the trail of helicopter fluid from a pathetically escaping Cavill as a "light the fuse" moment that would lead into the MI theme and credits.

Luckily, we got Hookface instead.

Oh but that would have been great lol.

Except we needed the post mission stuff to wrap up

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
When Walker turned into Two-Face I was like 'oh he's gonna survive'
Then he turned into Hookface

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait till the bathroom brawl is on YouTube. Definitely the most visceral fist fight I've seen in an American action movie in a while
It really was great, the physical content fealt weighty.

But goddamn son was this movie long or what? I kept checking my phone not knowing it was going to be an hour and a half. When we hit 2 hours and I realized we were just setting up the final act....

Oct 27, 2017

Took out the part where he hangs from a place also.

Edit: Jk! That was the last movie.

I don't know why I thought it was this movie.

Last edited: