• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that stuck out to me was no one making any mention after that basement shootout about Isla materializing out of nowhere and hopping in the van with Benji and Luther. Not even a throwaway line to handwave away her joining the team [again].

I mean, that's really par for the course for MI movies... I don't really watch for plot believability, but for set pieces.
I don't necessarily need plot believability, but I think it's worth pointing out that these latest movies in the series are presenting some real questionable positions on important issues.

Was talking with a friend after the movie and whilst the gimmick nature of any particular sequence wasn't as unique/memorable as stuff in past MI films (like the Burj), the execution of things like the motorcycle chase through Paris put them way above.

Just goes to show you that the How is more important than the What.
Having only just watched Rogue Nation last night, I appreciated two things more about Fallout in contrast:
* No big goofy gimmick like the underwater server sequence, which just felt like McQuarrie wanting to get his Gravity on
* The car chase wasn't constantly undermining the suspense with someone delivering comedic relief

While it didn't particularly bother me, it's funny to consider that if the villain weren't so preoccupied with trying to torture Ethan his plan would have gone off without a hitch.
Yup, which is part of why I think the movie really fails to make any useful statement about the tactics and philosophies behind global security.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I loved it and I can almost forgive Henry Cavill CG Justice League face because he was and this movie was better than justice league all together.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that bad? I'm catching it in the morning and heard it was a thrill ride filled with intrigue.
It's 97% positive critic reviews, 95% positive audience reviews a little earlier tonight.

Of course there will still be the 5% of people that don't like it, but I definitely thought it was very solid -- good acting, good soundtrack, good filming, good scenery, good stunts, good fights. My only real complaint is that it got a little slow and silly in the last 20-30 minutes, but overall it's probably my favorite Mission Impossible movie. I think I like it over the recent Bond films as well.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking loved fhe movie just got back from it. The cast was strong and cavill was in league of his own for this. I do wish however I never saw any trailers. The first 5 minutes of the film and you already know "well cavill is going to be that john lake guy", wish there was more of a twist. Almost cried when Baldwins character died, great acting by him. 9.5/10 for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Also sorry to keep going on about the bathroom scene, but I really liked whatever martial arts style the guy was using. Apparently it was Liang Yang, and IMDB seems to imply he also helped with the Last Jedi red Snoke guard fight scene, which was really cool.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok.....so who stole the plutonium at the very beginning of the movie? Or to put it another way, who was the seller that the White Widow was brokering for?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Ok.....so who stole the plutonium at the very beginning of the movie? Or to put it another way, who was the seller that the White Widow was brokering for?
The Apostles are Solomon Lane's people. They stole the plutonium at the start. They used the plutonium to hire Lark to free Lane. The White Widow is brokering the deal. Lark does not work for Lane, he is a terrorist with his own agenda. He wants to plutonium to fuck up the world order. Lane doesn't care about that anymore, he just wants to see Hunt suffer.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I still think it was a huge lost to the franchise to have Cavill just be a one and done baddie.... dude had incredible presence and charisma.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's because the character suited Cavill to a T.

He was basically a government suit that is physically imposing.

Yeah Cavill was perfectly suited for this role.

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed Cavill sometimes struggles with his line delivery in movies, and I feel like this film deliberately made him not talk during certain points.

Like the final fight on cliff, I don't think Cavill has a single line of dialogue, instead relying on his physical posture.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed Cavill sometimes struggles with his line delivery in movies, and I feel like this film deliberately made him not talk during certain points.

Like the final fight on cliff, I don't think Cavill has a single line of dialogue, instead relying on his physical posture.
They recognised what I've always said - that Cavill makes a good Terminator.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, which is part of why I think the movie really fails to make any useful statement about the tactics and philosophies behind global security.
At the same time, the villain's plans only succeed as far as they do out of dumb luck. Sloan randomly and inexplicably decides to send a strike team after Ethan/IMF, and to Lane's good fortune 2-3 moles are on the strike team.

Ethan only succeeds because the detonator miraculously survives a helicopter crash.

So yeah, while the movie wants to make a big deal out of Ethan's morality or loyalty, everything seems driven largely by contrivances in the screenplay.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
At the same time, the villain's plans only succeed as far as they do out of dumb luck. Sloan randomly and inexplicably decides to send a strike team after Ethan/IMF, and to Lane's good fortune 2-3 moles are on the strike team.

They were sent there for Walker, that whole thing was never about bringing Ethan in

Walker overplayed his hand and she didn't buy what he was selling

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017

Before I saw the film I was really hoping that he'd be allowed to continue in the series, but I felt his line delivery was short as well. I think his best line(s) are when talking with Sloan about Ethan. I'm glad his character went the way it did after having seen it now.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
He's sprinting for ages at an incredible speed for a 56 year old. Dude runs like a 20 year old athlete.
I don't think I've seen a Cruise run that could be longer than 200m, but fair point on his age. I probably will not be clocking a run like that 25+ years from now, haha.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
They were sent there for Walker, that whole thing was never about bringing Ethan in

Walker overplayed his hand and she didn't buy what he was selling
Was talking to my friend about this plot point after the movie. He initially felt that framing Hunt as Lark was a bit contrived because Hunt had done too much good that was known within the agencies for it to be plausible. Then we worked through the logic and it was obvious that in fact no one bought that. It was only something Walker was doing because a) he didn't know who Ethan Hunt really was at first, b) framing Hunt was part of Lane's plan and he was forced into it. The CIA didn't believe it, IMF didn't believe it. The whole thing was a set up, and THAT'S why the script works.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Ethan only succeeds because the detonator miraculously survives a helicopter crash.

So yeah, while the movie wants to make a big deal out of Ethan's morality or loyalty, everything seems driven largely by contrivances in the screenplay.
The past movies, and especially the ones by McQuarrie, point out how the IMF and Hunt's success is a good chunk due to luck. One of the main themes in MI5 is that Hunt is by nature a gambler and eventually his luck will run out (it didn't).

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If you look closely, Cavill reloads his fists twice, one shot in the mirror, the other the one we all know. It's the same, wonder why they didn't catch it.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved every set piece in this movie, which is pretty rare. The Paris sequence especially was just fantastic and that's an amazing feat considering how long it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Now i kinda wanna rewatch it in dolby cinema.

IMAX is legit though. The whole helicopter scene is full IMAX aspect ratio, same with the sky dive. Fantastic stuff.

Was a bit confused about the whole twists though, the movie always felt like a half step too quick with the exposition, especially the whole sequence with the reveal with lane and walker. So... for a second I thought Walker just wanted to get back the plutonium... but then he's a henchman of lane? And the apostles are just... hooligans like the anarchies in batman that don't really matter?

I'm curious how much input Cruise has in these films in terms of script/set pieces. Was he just like one day ' I want to be a stunt helicopter pilot', and they wrote a script around that?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Apostles are Solomon Lane's people. They stole the plutonium at the start. They used the plutonium to hire Lark to free Lane. The White Widow is brokering the deal. Lark does not work for Lane, he is a terrorist with his own agenda. He wants to plutonium to fuck up the world order. Lane doesn't care about that anymore, he just wants to see Hunt suffer.
How does Lark know he has allies on the CIA strike team, if those guys aren't explicitly his associates?

Seems like Lane's goals would have been accomplished if they had just given Lark the plutonium and skipped the "Get Lane out of jail" step. I guess maybe the Apostles don't know that Lane has just given up though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How many people do you know look that good while sprinting at breakneck speed? Exactly.
I used to run track, so quite a few actually :P

How does Lark know he has allies on the CIA strike team, if those guys aren't explicitly his associates?

Seems like Lane's goals would have been accomplished if they had just given Lark the plutonium and skipped the "Get Lane out of jail" step. I guess maybe the Apostles don't know that Lane has just given up though.

Lane wanted to see Ethan suffer though. His incentive was revenge, less about anarchy this time.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing that stuck out to me was no one making any mention after that basement shootout about Isla materializing out of nowhere and hopping in the van with Benji and Luther. Not even a throwaway line to handwave away her joining the team [again].
What are you talking about? She was there in that basement, lurking for a shot to kill Lane. There's a shot that establishes this. When the shooting starts she's there shooting the rogue CIA guys in the flank.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

The CIA moles were Lark's people. There are multiple factions at play. Lark's people, the widow's people, Lane's people. Lane's goal here is to get freed, put Hunt in the corner, and blow his life up, and die in the process while Hunt watches. It's a bad plan but Lark has to go along with it because ultimately it fits his agenda. Yes the over objective would be a lot easier if Lark just got the plutonium himself directly, but he didn't get to it before the Apostles did. If he had, he wouldn't need to play ball with Lane.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's actually kinda refreshing that the villain's stupid convoluted plan gets called out as such by other characters but they gotta go along with it

Like Lane's plan is stupid but he's not being rational about it at all, he's one-track mind city

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Cruise Missile is 56, right? Think he has one more of these left. Let Ethan be happy with Ilsa and bring in some new blood.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the over objective would be a lot easier if Lark just got the plutonium himself directly, but he didn't get to it before the Apostles did. If he had, he wouldn't need to play ball with Lane.
Well I mean just that if Lane doesn't really care whether he lives or dies, then to what extent does it even matter if he gets sprung out of jail? He can put just as much hurt on Ethan from behind bars, since he seems capable of orchestrating all this shit while in a maximum security lockup. It seems like it would have been in his own interests to just expedite things by giving all three plutonium samples directly to Lark. He could have had his goons murder Julia, stuff her head in a box, and send it to Ethan......yet he comes up with this massively convoluted plan to lure her to the site where some other terrorist is going to set off bombs and then trick Ethan to coming there and hope that the two of them cross paths? I guess maybe this is sort of the thing you shouldn't strain yourself thinking about.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Well I mean just that if Lane doesn't really care whether he lives or dies, then to what extent does it even matter if he gets sprung out of jail? He can put just as much hurt on Ethan from behind bars, since he seems capable of orchestrating all this shit while in a maximum security lockup. It seems like it would have been in his own interests to just expedite things by giving all three plutonium samples directly to Lark. He could have had his goons murder Julia, stuff her head in a box, and send it to Ethan......yet he comes up with this massively convoluted plan to lure her to the site where some other terrorist is going to set off bombs and then trick Ethan to coming there and hoping that the two of them cross paths? I guess maybe this is sort of the thing you shouldn't strain yourself thinking about.
I don't think he trusts Lark. Without him personally ensuring that Lark is involving Hunt on as personal a level as possible, Lark would just carry out his plan in the way he sees fit. That generally doesn't involve Hunt's suffering being maximized. Also, I don't think it's that Lane doesn't care if he lives or he dies. He definitely cares - he doesn't want to be imprisoned, he wants to die destroying Hunt's life.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That generally doesn't involve Hunt's suffering being maximized. Also, I don't think it's that Lane doesn't care if he lives or he dies. He definitely cares - he doesn't want to be imprisoned, he wants to die destroying Hunt's life.
Seems like there are easier and nastier ways to make Hunt suffer, especially if he knows Julia's cover.

"He wants to die destroying Hunt's life" -- someone else already said it, but this film really does lean into comic book style villainy.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Seems like there are easier and nastier ways to make Hunt suffer, especially if he knows Julia's cover.

"He wants to die destroying Hunt's life" -- someone else already said it, but this film really does lean into comic book style villainy.
Yeah I mean, his followers are called THE APOSTLES and first set piece in the movie is to do an illegal HALO jump just to get into a party instead of sneaking into the country like normal spies. It's over the top and everyone picks the most challenging option to do anything.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean, his followers are called THE APOSTLES and first set piece in the movie is to do an illegal HALO jump just to get into a party instead of sneaking into the country like normal spies.
I presumed that was just because, for reasons unexplained, they simply didn't have time to fly in to Paris on a commercial airline and waltz in normally.

Oct 27, 2017

When walker was first introduced, I believe there was a quick black and white photo that had a strike team standing over bodies of Lane's agents. I bet the strike team is Walker's team.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Yeah I mean, his followers are called THE APOSTLES and first set piece in the movie is to do an illegal HALO jump just to get into a party instead of sneaking into the country like normal spies. It's over the top and everyone picks the most challenging option to do anything.
Halo jumping directly on top of the place you need to be would be the fastest way to get somewhere on the other side of the planet. As opposed to checking in his god damn luggage at the airport James Bond style (MI6 must have lower budget than 'Murica, flying commercial during nuclear threats)

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Bond, Danny Boyle better pull out something very special. Because in a franchise with only 6 films, MI has a larger count of genuinely good movies than 007.