• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you be upgrading your TV soon to ready for next-gen?

• Yes, I want to upgrade ASAP to be ready for next-gen

Votes: 209 35.4%
  • No, I will keep what I have for now wait for more options and prices to go down

Votes: 382 64.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I'm keeping my eye on the Samsung q80t, Sony 900h and LG CX in case a great deal happens but I doubt it

I'll probably wait another 6-12 months though

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I'm on a 10 year old low tier 1080p LG TV. Gonna buy a 4k HDR 120hz TV with my PS5 somewhere in 2021. My eyes will melt.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, $1k for the 65 inch X900H is a fantastic deal.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
2020 TVs don't cut it. I don't think 2021 models will either but 2020 models definitely don't. LG OLED is only one but too expensive.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the 65" model in July in anticipation of a PS5, then totally failed to secure a preorder, but lucked out when my wife was browsing Canuck Walmart just as preorders went live there and she snagged one, so I'm set.

However, I didn't know about the 120 fps DMC 5 feature, so now I'm pumped for that.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
What are the odds of the 55in getting a sale before the end of the year?

The sub-$1k 65in is tempting for the value, but my space could only really handle 55in sadly...

Jun 10, 2018
Holy crap, $1k for the 65 inch X900H is a fantastic deal.
What are the odds of the 55in getting a sale before the end of the year?

The sub-$1k 65in is tempting for the value, but my space could only really handle 55in sadly...
If you're in the U.S. then cheapest price is currently $919.99 at Best Buy for the 55" X900H.I bought my 55" X900H a couple of weeks ago for $998 at Walmart. If the price goes down to $919.99 there then I might see if I can get them to price match.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
The 55in x900h's are on sale now, too. The discount isn't as crazy as the one for the 65, but it's a good one ($200 off). Picked mine up for $650 (no tax, free shipping) from Exchange. Very excited for next-gen!

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I picked up the same TV from Costco, though I have preorders for a PS5 and Series X. All I need is the firmware update and I'll be good to go!

zarnold56

Oct 27, 2017
The 55in x900h's are on sale now, too. The discount isn't as crazy as the one for the 65, but it's a good one ($200 off). Picked mine up for $650 (no tax, free shipping) from Exchange. Very excited for next-gen!

Anywhere else for that discount? Best Buy, Amazon and Wal-Mart are all still over $900 for the 55 inch model

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Been trying to decide between the X900H and the LG CX, but this price makes the difference 1000 dollars and that makes the 900h an easy purchase, especially considering no tax. So thanks for the heads up on this deal. I was thinking I wouldn't see a good deal on this TV until Black Friday, so it'll be nice getting the TV before the PS5/XSX actually show up.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Won't be replacing my LG C8 OLED any time soon. Doesn't have VRR but I'm pretty happy with HDR10/Dolby Vision and the overall PQ. Got a PS5 DE preorder locked in though.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
My Sony X900H arrived today. I haven't upgraded since 2015, so now I just need the consoles and I'm set for next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just got 65" X900H in preparation for next gen too, it's perfect for my price range and I'm super happy with it. I've been using a 1080p 55inch from 2011 so needless to say it's a really nice upgrade. I've long felt like I was missing out when it came to HDR and when it's implemented well it's a revelation. Just hope Sony deliver the 2.1 update for launch.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
This will almost certainly be the TV I pick up this year as I'm currently rocking a 1080p set from 2014, but I'm beginning to grow concerned about the lack of the 2.1 update. I would love an OLED and can afford the 65" CX but just don't see myself using my TV enough for it to pay for itself, so I figured meeting somewhere in the $1200~ range is ideal. I won't be picking up a next gen console at launch but can certainly see myself getting one in December or January, so having the TV first is ideal. As much as I'm considering holding off on the TV, I think Black Friday should bring some nice discounts, and if I hold off I'm eventually waiting until spring 2021 or whatever for new TVs to drop.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Does anyone know whether or not nvidia's new graphics cards should play nice with this VRR when it gets the update? I see some conflicting information about gsync vs free sync vs hmdi VRR. I assume it's the later, which should be the generalized and supported standard for the new consoles and gpus, but these things seem less clear when I actually go looking for an answer with TVs.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought the XH90 75 inch model. It was a really good deal at 1700 Euros, it also comes with a € 50 PSN card. Now if we can get that firmware update in time for PS5.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I expect both Black Friday and post BF deals, with another dip for the Superbowl in Feb ( in the US/CA) - that said, $920 is probably a fantastic deal if you can get it now.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Damn, sad day. Family doesn't want a 65" tv. Had to cancel Q95T for €1300

I'm sure I won't find a better deal than this

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I want to and money isn't an issue (thankfully) but I really can't justify it since my 1080p Sony TV that I got around X360 launch is still working and is honestly not that bad. The picture may get a little blurry in a darker scenes but eh... I would feel kind of bad throwing/giving it away.

I remember calibrating it so Mass Effect 1 could look its best and haven't moved a slider since lol

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play most competitive games on PC and I feel like 60 fps is fine for single player. I'd like to have the frames but the cost is just too high at the moment.

Kuroknight27

Feb 20, 2018
So I bought a 65in 900h a few days ago, and the colors look a bit washed compared to my TCL 615, it does get pretty bright though.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Just got an X900F last year and have zero plans to upgrade for another 5-10 years. Couldn't care less about 120 FPS or whatever else, it looks fine to me and it was expensive

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I have a Sony A1E 55" OLED TV. Got it maybe 1.5yrs ago.

You guys think should be good enough for next generation, mainly PS5 gaming. Ill get an Xbox eventually. What do you think?

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Just got an X900F last year and have zero plans to upgrade for another 5-10 years. Couldn't care less about 120 FPS or whatever else, it looks fine to me and it was expensive

I upgraded from a pretty bad 1080p tv to a 950g and I love it. VRR wasn't worth the extra money I'd pay for a 900h, especially when the PQ is generally lower.

I've heard the 900f is also excellent. In the end, love the one you are with. Unless the tv is broken or horribly outdated, it's probably going to do a great job playing games. HDMI 2.1 has benefits, but they are intangible and mostly the drive to upgrade is driven by FOMO.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
To the others that got the X90H(CH for Costco) have you noticed this weird quirk? Got it back in July and am super happy overall with it but noticed that while using Netflix, Hulu, or Prime that the motion smoothing junk randomly turns back on. Even with all the stuff turned off it will turn back on and sometimes the 'Cinema' mode I've been using needs reset and those options to be manually selected and turned off again. Noticed it a few times now.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Replaced my crappy 6 year old 42" 1080p Panasonic TV with the LG CX 4K 55" OLED.

I wanted a 4K TV that had the best visual quality and features that would get the most out next gen consoles (mainly HDMI 2.1) and new GPUS and that's undoubtedly the CX which comes with 4x2.1 ports and both freesync/gsync.

I was looking at the Samsung QLEDs and they would've been a decent choice but it felt like settling for second best. The Q90T has worse picture, sound, and build quality. Worse VRR implementation (less range + no gsync).

Seen people recommend Sony TVs but they aren't even worth considering. Neither is anything else really. Only real options were LG or Samsung. There wasnt much price difference between the CX + Q90T so went for the LG.

The TV is stunning. I have never spent so much on a TV before but as soon as I turned it on the last thing on my mind was the price I had paid for it. Totally worth it and not sure I could ever go back to a non OLED TV.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
This will almost certainly be the TV I pick up this year as I'm currently rocking a 1080p set from 2014, but I'm beginning to grow concerned about the lack of the 2.1 update. I would love an OLED and can afford the 65" CX but just don't see myself using my TV enough for it to pay for itself, so I figured meeting somewhere in the $1200~ range is ideal. I won't be picking up a next gen console at launch but can certainly see myself getting one in December or January, so having the TV first is ideal. As much as I'm considering holding off on the TV, I think Black Friday should bring some nice discounts, and if I hold off I'm eventually waiting until spring 2021 or whatever for new TVs to drop.

Is the firmware for HDMI 2.1 out?

Happened to get a notification about the price drop on Amazon and I saw this listed on the page. I don't remember it being shown before:

HDMI 2.1: Get the most out of your next-gen gaming console with the latest HDMI 2.1 standards featuring ALLM, VRR and 4K at 120fps for reduced input lag, increased frame rate and ultra-smooth motion. (Firmware update required, available Winter 2020 and Spring 2021.)

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Hate the software on my Samsung Q6FN, dying to get a Sony Bravia. But I'll keep my current TV for at least a couple years until TVs equipped with both proper HDR and VRR are common in the 49-50 inch size and decently affordable. The bang for buck I got on this Q6FN a couple years back for just over 800 euros was and still is insane. Shame it doesn't have VRR.