• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
mm2airtiki.gif

Thought the nose was the mouth.

Duuuuude, no freaking way! Why... How... B-But *sounds of brain fragments defying gravity*

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That works fine in stills, and is probably the intended design...

...but the problem is in animation, it moves much closer to how the pyramid design would. Notice it bobbing up and down, notice the beam shooting from right where the center of the base of the pyramid would be, and notice how it disintegrates from bottom to top as it falls upon the sphere of energy:

aqFuNQX.jpg

Also, notice the perspective that the dome of energy establishes (about a 45 degree angle view). It fits perfectly with the perspective of the black omen if it were a pyramid, and doesn't fit at all with the perspective of almost a top-down view the star destroyer interpretation requires.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That works fine in stills, and is probably the intended design...

...but the problem is in animation, it moves much closer to how the pyramid design would. Notice it bobbing up and down, notice the beam shooting from right where the center of the base of the pyramid would be, and notice how it disintegrates from bottom to top as it falls upon the sphere of energy:

aqFuNQX.jpg

Also, notice the perspective that the dome of energy establishes (about a 45 degree angle view). It fits perfectly with the perspective of the black omen if it were a pyramid, and doesn't fit at all with the perspective of almost a top-down view the star destroyer interpretation requires.

Probaly a technical limitation as it would be difficult to animate it correctly from this angle.

Something I forgot to mention is Queen Zeal directly refers to the Black Omen as a "ship" in the Japanese version.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probaly a technical limitation as it would be difficult to animate it correctly from this angle.

Something I forgot to mention is Queen Zeal directly refers to the Black Omen as a "ship" in the Japanese version.
Yeah, probably, but that doesn't change what we got. Fact is, in motion, the pyramid interpretation works better, despite their likely original intention.

Also, I don't see why a sci-fi ship can't be shaped like a pyramid. I've seen weirder ships, and I feel like I may have even seen a pyramid ship or two in sci-fi.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Seeing the Black Omen this way is revelatory. Always thought of it as a tower until 3 minutes ago. Now I can't see it as anything but a Star Destroyer-like ship. Wowzers.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised that so many people see the Mega Man one wrong. I can't even look at it without that line being the mouth. I'm not sure how you can see it differently.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Emperor%20Gestahl%20(Front).gif

Have the smallest of image! This Emperor Gestahl from Final Fantasy VI, i always thought his sprite looked like some dog with long ear. Funny enough, a few patches ago in FFXIV they released a minion of a dog called gestahl, so i guess it was a common mistake back then!

f1f5ccb0.jpg

The minion in question in XIV.

I always saw him as a dog-man and never questioned it. What's wrong with me.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The Agahnim example is particularly funny for me, because I didn't see him in either of those two ways. I thought he was supposed to be some sort of rodent or something. Maybe a mole?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I can't deal with these air man ape face things, no, noooo, it was an octo mouth! it has to be!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
images

When I was a kid, I thought this girl's hair was like Jessie's from the anime, long and curved to the back. It took me a while to figure out it was actually a ponytail.

Also, there's a sprite of a little kid playing a game boy, I couldn't find it. I thought the game boy was a cup of coffee he was drinking, I only realized my mistake when I learned english and read he saying something about playing with a link cable.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's my take too. There's a whole bunch of enemies with a mouth like that in Megaman, including the little spawns, it makes way more sense.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Zelda%20II%20The%20Adventure%20of%20Link%20sprite.gif

I was well into my 20's before I realized Link wasn't holding a green sword vertically in front of him.

It's clearly his shield in other frames of animation, but I never had the game, so I didn't know.

Oct 31, 2017
Ooh I love threads like this

latest

I always saw his arm as a grinning mouth. Doesn't help that every larger bullet enemy actually does have a mouth, and in Mario 64 he also has a mouth. I don't think I realised it was an arm until the DS remake

I... I honestly can't remember if I noticed that the ones from SMB3 had faces. I knew SMW and on, but did I know this?

I can't remember.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Someone wrote into our podcast about how they spent 20 years thinking of Koopa Troopas as tragic fallen Southern belles like Blanche DuBois from A Streetcar Named Desire, because of a weird confluence of young childhood events - the first of which was a friends mom telling him that Koopa Troopas were women wearing bustles.

qmqHLR3.jpg
6I3odMk.jpg
cSbO9nj.jpg

The whole story gets far more elaborate, and the nuance and tragic pity this guy ends up having for Koopa Troopas due to this weird childhood assumption, even into young adulthood, is pretty incredible. If you want to listen to it you can here (embed should timecode jump straight to the story):

HellBlazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Someone wrote into our podcast about how they spent 20 years thinking of Koopa Troopas as tragic fallen Southern belles like Blanche DuBois from A Streetcar Named Desire, because of a weird confluence of young childhood events - the first of which was a friends mom telling him that Koopa Troopas were women wearing bustles.

qmqHLR3.jpg
6I3odMk.jpg
cSbO9nj.jpg

The whole story gets far more elaborate, and the nuance and tragic pity this guy ends up having for Koopa Troopas due to this weird childhood assumption, even into young adulthood, is pretty incredible. If you want to listen to it you can here (embed should timecode jump straight to the story):

This is amazing.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
We're all in agreement that when people start posting Commander Vidya, we've gone too far, correct? The one that assumes someone somehow saw Robotnik in Sonic 1/2 as a floating head in a helmet? That's by far the most-forced example of this sprite misinterpretation thing.

My biggest example as a kid wasn't that interesting. It was just me taking too long to realize Red/Gold's mouths weren't necklaces in the first 2 Pokèmon games.

mm2airtiki.gif

Thought the nose was the mouth.

It took me a solid minute to figure out what you meant, but... wrong or not, I'll never unsee this.

Last edited:

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Big gorilla head or small mouth.. still fits in this thread perfectly.

I guess I was seeing it right all along. Time to untrain my brain.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Link from A Link to the Past always looked like some kind of weird bear cub to me and I still can't unsee it. Maybe it's the shading around the face combined with the long brown sleeves.

Also, the pink hair is just weird. I didn't like this sprite after playing Zelda I and II as a kid and I still don't like it today.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
mario-land-game-daisy.png

I always saw Daisy in SML as having some weird space invader shaped head because of how the pixel representing her mouth joins up with her hair.