• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
190405200010-casey-michael-lewis-exlarge-169.jpg

Casey Michael Lewis was a free man for about 15 minutes, not even leaving the grounds of the jail where he'd been locked up before being arrested again.
The 37-year-old had just been released Thursday from the St. Lucie County Detention Facility in Fort Pierce, Florida, where he'd been held on grand theft charges, according to an arrest affidavit.
The affidavit says after he was released, Lewis then began walking around the jail's parking lot "acting suspicious and checking vehicle doors."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/05/us/florida-man-car-theft/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_latest+(RSS:+CNN+-+Most+Recent)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This "Florida Man" guy sure loves to commit thousands of crimes

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Surely he was trying to get arrested again.
Most of the time upon release, they give the innates a single set of clothes and maybe enough money for bus fair to the closest big city and that's it... If you don't have family or someone willing to support you for a few months, you'd basically just wasting everyone's time. You'll be back one way or the other, and at least this way you'd be sure not to miss any meals.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
This shit can happen a ton. When I was a drunk tank guard you'd sometimes book people again anywhere from 15 mins to a couple hours after they were released.

Most of the time upon release, they give the innates a single set of clothes and maybe enough money for bus fair to the closest big city and that's it... If you don't have family or someone willing to support you for a few months, you'd basically just wasting everyone's time. You'll be back one way or the other, and at least this way you'd be sure not to miss any meals.

He was released from jail, not prison.

You aren't wrong about how fucked the justice system is, but it is worth knowing that there is a difference.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just really sad. at one point this man was a kid with dreams of becoming an astronaut or a firefighter just like everyone else. And along the way and over the years he fell into this state, where he feels that the only means of survival he has, or his best chance of survival, is as a warden of the state, or through various crimes to make a quick buck.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I had someone steal a Guitar Hero where I worked and the security in the town picked her up and brought her back to wait for the police.
The police officer when calling in her details found out she was on a lunch break from court, where she was on trail for theft....

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure I saw something similar on Reddit lady week, guy left court and broke into a McDonald's delivery truck. Might have been same guy not sure.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does American news always provide names and even faces to accompany their articles? Are there no ethical standards or privacy regulations in place?
It's one of the more subtle aspects of public shaming in the us the previous John Oliver episode missed

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Why does American news always provide names and even faces to accompany their articles? Are there no ethical standards or privacy regulations in place?
It's one of the more subtle aspects of public shaming in the us the previous John Oliver episode missed
Yeah even if you get pardoned by the state for a crime and your record is cleaned up, the news articles are still out there. Messed up!

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm thinking he just wanted to go back in. Very few people are THAT dumb, at least I hope so. He could of course just happen to be one of the few.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly how it works in GTA RP when your crew doesn't realize you're free and you don't have the time to wait for a cab that may never come.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I was asking a friend who is actually from Florida about why there are so many Florida.man stories and was told it was likely due to sunshine laws in Florida allowing "journalists" to just stalk the latest batch of sunshine law releases to play to an Internet meme for free clicks. Era may want to rethink the generalization and the meme

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Are you guys sure the water in Florida isn't contaminated with crazy genes or something? I mean, the amount of Florida man news and memes is insane.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, here in Sweden (and I'm guessing most of Europe) it's just "a man" or similar until there's a guilty verdict. Which is how it should be.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, here in Sweden (and I'm guessing most of Europe) it's just "a man" or similar until there's a guilty verdict. Which is how it should be.

Even with a guilty verdict I find it quite appalling. Feels like medieval shaming mentality crap. I just can't believe is still allowed. Pillories have no place in [current year argument].

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with a guilty verdict I find it quite appalling. Feels like medieval shaming mentality crap. I just can't believe is still allowed. Pillories have no place in [current year argument].

Sure, I guess. But once the trial is done anyone can request the information, so it's freely available if you want it anyway.