• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know if its exclusively a me thing but i always feel like its easier to relate to other minorities media over white media. given many of us have gone thru similar things in the US i see alot of parallels in our lives more so than that of white media. the same thing applies to the real world tbh, i can talk to other minorities comfortably but i feel a bit akward talking to white people. When i speak with white people i feel like theres a disconnect.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope at the media part - I take it as is when it comes to whatever the characters are.

I dont consume media because a person or character is a certain type, I consume media because well...I want to enjoy the story, scenery, music - aspects like that imo bear more weight than what the character is classified as.

Same with real life, I talk and feel like my conversations are on the same level regardless of race.

I dont feel awkward or uncomfortable when speaking to a person regardless of who or what they are.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually had a very different view. I can almost never enjoy media that seems to target "urban" demographics. I find that I don't hold "white media" to any standard or expectation but I kinda expect more from "US" and it wasn't until I heard a conversation between Nikki Giovanni and James Baldwin that I started to change my tune on that slightly.

Granted I grew up in the 80's and 90's so there was not the plethora of options when it comes to media.

And I'm comfortable around everyone regardless of race. Growing up in a city like Philly it's hard not too.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a racial preference when it comes to media and go wherever the quality is (I'm loving the fuck out of Broad City atm). I do root for quality Black media though and I think taking control of our image is extremely important.

As for real life I definitely feel a disconnect with Whites, even White in-laws and their families. My issue is, I know I'm "one of the good ones" for them and at the end of the day they lack general respect for Black people, especially poor ones.

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Love it. TV(film too) is getting more diverse and different stories are being told with a wide spectrum of new talent from alot of world cultures.

The megastars will be white, but it's no secret that just about any other gender/race lead role can pull in just as much money for a production.

Stuff is pretty good to the point where you can pick out what is good material and what may be stereotypical portrayals of various cultures in media.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, but I was blessed to come up during Martin, Living Single, New York Undercover, WB, Paramont, etc era

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I never had the option of characters that look like me. No, that's not true, I had Aladdin... a character who plays second-fiddle once Robin Williams comes in.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The only character I relate to is Hiro Protagonist. Being bi-racial and not being able to really relate to either racial group.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's way easier for me to read comics/books, watch tv shows/movies, etc. if they have black characters or are created by black people.

Whenever, for example, someone recommends me a podcast with a cast formed by white cishet dudes, I just feel like skipping it because there are a billion of those out there and I'd rather use my time with something that has a different voice.

Oct 29, 2017
Hell yea.
If something has a black protagonist/cast/writer/director I'll give it a chance quicker than something with all white ppl🤷🏿‍♂️.

I don't even take podcast recommendations anymore cuz it's always a bunch of white dudes. Btw check out the nerd goat podcast. My man Ed Greer doing his thing.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes. As a queer cis white guy, I am almost always more interested in stories with black, latinx, Asian leads. I'm also more drawn to shows with female leads, especially women of color and or women in unusual roles.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not real. But the way Atlanta dealt with being depressed, holding up appearances and other things while Black stuck with me much more.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes. Most times though, I just enjoy a good story with good characters. Is it refreshing to see myself reflected in something like Black Panther or Atlanta? Absolutely and I'm always up for better representation. But I still enjoy the hell out of movies that don't necessarily center around black characters like The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, GoT, etc...

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a black and white thing? No. Westerners are the same to me, regardless of their skin color, they're all foreigners. I actually get white movies better than black movies since white movies are more mainstream. Movies like The Barbershop just fly over my head.

I do relate to Coco and Crazy Rich Asians very much.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I tend to gravitate to media that has PoC in it. It definitely makes it easier to relate to their experiences than, say the Full House experience. Makes it easier to relate and honestly going back to someone mentioning Malcolm in the Middle, I always wanted to see more of his best friends' family (Black kid in wheelchair) or just other nonwhite kids in general.

The White experience in general tends to be disconnected from the PoC experience so I understand how it can be jarring. But then again I also notice a disconnect between myself and, say other Black men who grew up in majority white or far upper class rearing environments and I can even kind of sniff out the BM who went to PWIs. Not to say that makes them any more or less, but there'll always be that part that was significant in my life that they cannot even begin to relate with.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean, like, as an Asian, do I relate more with black media? Not really. Growing up in the US, I've been indoctrinated with white being default and normal.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is white so I'm pretty comfortable talking to white people. I greatly enjoy seeing minorities in media and will gravitate towards shows/movies/comics/books that feature minority characters. I still partake in predominantly white media, but I have a minority preference.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yea.
If something has a black protagonist/cast/writer/director I'll give it a chance quicker than something with all white ppl🤷🏿‍♂️.

Basically this. Especially if it's a black protagonist or writer. Quick way to get my attention. Whether I relate to them or not, I'm just happy to see them with the spotlight.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
No, and Im not Usually looking to relate

sometimes I just want to spectate a story and empathize with the character

Oct 29, 2017
Do you mean, like, as an Asian, do I relate more with black media? Not really. Growing up in the US, I've been indoctrinated with white being default and normal.
This is sadly the norm for Asian ppl in America. My life long best friend is a Japanese dude who lived around black ppl his entire life. So to him black is the default. When we went to college he would hmu and tell me stories about the other Asian kids treating him poorly. Like he wasn't "Asian" enough.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is sadly the norm for Asian ppl in America. My life long best friend is a Japanese dude who lived around black ppl his entire life. So to him black is the default. When we went to college he would hmu and tell me stories about the other Asian kids treating him poorly. Like he wasn't "Asian" enough.
Yes, there definitely is this dichotomy where Asian Americans lean toward either white or black culture. It's because we don't really have our own cultural identity represented in media.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It doesn't really come down to whether there are minorities, but every bit of it counts. It doesn't help that there isn't that many options other than Nigerians being scammers. For example, The Middle was the most relatable comedy I've watched, even more than black-ish. At the same time, I was giddy when I saw a Nigerian in Battle LA. Sure, he was only a background role, but he survived and that's all that counts. For Bob Hearts Abishola, it seems to focus more on Nigerian parents who moved to the states than their children.

Of course, it can also have a negative effect. I outright hated The Philantrophist for its horribly inaccurate portrayal of the country.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Not at all. I like things that feature minorities but I don't need to see minorities to relate to them

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had this conversation with my girlfriend two days ago. She said it was something she only noticed as she grew older, and these days she really prefers to consume media that has at least some minorities in it, preferably black people. Said she always felt that way, but over the years she understood why, and now she actively searches for things that represent her and her culture. She even went to see Black Panther even though she isn't really into super hero movies.

She enjoys things that resonate with her more than things that don't, makes sense to me. As someone who only is half minority and never really had a lot of exposure to the culture that's not the status quo here, it never really bothered me that much. Guess all the stuff made by white people is for me lol. It's easier to have the majority of media tailored to you and then you can just pick whatever else floats your boat rather than the other way around.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
There are almost never any American made media that feature people that look like or me or have the same life experience, so I've grown to just enjoy whatever is quality media.

I wish there were more shows surrounding the Indian immigrant experience, but America tends to forget we exist.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It depends and only when it comes to movies and TV . Case in point Insecure has a lot of things that my friends and I do or talk about in real life. That makes me much more connected to those characters because they are depicting the experience I'm really living.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I kinda do yea
Hispanic, and I was honestly almost as happy as black people when black panther came out.
Also I've been into rap my whole life, and I still want idris Elba as bond

Oct 25, 2017
No.

A character of my nationality or ethnicity does not necessarily "represent" me any more than the average white character.

My ethnicity doesn't define me. My nationality doesn't define me. My sexuality doesn't define me. A character being Mexican means absolutely nothing to me. I connect to characters due to their personalities and actions, not because of their origin or the color of their skin, or their sexual preference.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah, all else equal it's refreshing to see racial minorities get some shine for a change.

I've also become more critical as I've grown older. For example I plan to buy that FF7 remake being produced as the original is one of my favorite JRPGs. I haven't followed its development at all but if Barrett is still talking about how stuff is "too confusin'" they're not getting my money.

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
It's not just you OP. I don't even play video games where I can't be black lmao. I don't see myself consuming media with no POC in it in the near future. White stories, protagonist, character bore me. I've seen it already so much growing up that I have no appetite for it now. A person of color as the lead is a quick way to grab my attention, but a well written one? You got yourself a consumer. Probably why I won't be watching Episode 9 of Star Wars

I also find it harder to talk to white people. It's too much of a mystery box. You never know what you're gonna get, some edgy alt-lite person or a decent human being. So I'm rather cautious when speaking to white people. And as much as white women like to act like their above it at all, they voted for Trumpito's ass too so they can miss me with that bs.

My friend group is like 15 black guys, 2 latino dudes, 1 indian guy, and 1 arabic guy. Used to be one white guy but he became the big trump supporter and he stopped hanging out with us.

I haven't followed its development at all but if Barrett is still talking about how stuff is "too confusin'" they're not getting my money.

But the Japanese have no internet connection and have never heard of or seen black people before. /s

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Nope at the media part - I take it as is when it comes to whatever the characters are.

I dont consume media because a person or character is a certain type, I consume media because well...I want to enjoy the story, scenery, music - aspects like that imo bear more weight than what the character is classified as.

Same with real life, I talk and feel like my conversations are on the same level regardless of race.

I dont feel awkward or uncomfortable when speaking to a person regardless of who or what they are.

When I was a lot younger, I had that awkward feeling when talking to whites. Obviously today, I've transformed.

When it comes to media, I don't have a preference. I don't care about John Wicks race.