• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Visiting Mexico as a preteen was like a revelation...girls actually liked me and I felt like I fit in. I'm half Mexican for reference

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure I did. I typed 43 instead of 45. 47 is still a larger percentage.
Regardless, it's a joke that you're trying to downplay sexism against that group just because of political leanings. I guess we shouldn't give white male gays any minority status either, since white males are statistically the most privileged of all and there are some gay men that voted Trump as well.

A minority is never determined based on political leanings, it's about power and prejudice among other things:

Women as minorities
While in most societies, numbers of men and women are roughly equal, the status of women as a subordinate group has led to many social scientists to study them as a minority group.[28] Though women's legal rights and status vary widely across countries, women experience social inequalities relative to men in most societies.[29] Women are often denied access to education, subject to violence, and lack access to the same economic opportunities as men.

Last edited:

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
User banned (1 week): Downplaying discrimination, thread derailment.
Regardless, it's a joke that you're trying to downplay sexism against that group just because of political leanings. I guess we shouldn't give white male gays any minority status either, since white males are statistically the most privileged of all and there are some gay men that voted Trump as well.

No one is downplaying sexism, but the idea that white women are a minority group or somehow marginalized is ridiculous.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is downplaying sexism, but the idea that white women are a minority group or somehow marginalized is ridiculous.
Do you think white women don't suffer from any sexism or something? Like, what bizarre point are you're trying make here? They're not as marginalized as say, a trans black woman, but to dismiss sexism against that group entirely is wrong.

It's not opression Olympics.

Last edited:

Deleted member 39450

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
Do you think white women don't suffer from any sexism or something? Like, what bizarre point are you're trying make here? They're not as marginalized as say, a trans black woman, but to dismiss sexism against that group entirely is wrong.

Sexism does not a make white women a minority group.

If you have nothing else besides more bad faith arguments, I'm just going to ignore you.

Well Puerto Rico treats me best because I'm Puerto Rican but let's not count that.

China - Lots of casual racism, asking for photos with darker-skinned people + touching hair. So it was awkward for me witnessing my friends go through that. I will say that I would rather live in US than taking a chance living in China as a light-skinned Puerto Rican.

Portugal - Extremely friendly, definitely would say I was treated better in Lisbon than I am in the USA.

San Sebastian, Spain - If I couldn't live in Puerto Rico or the United States, this would have to be the place. Because I already came from a Spanish speaking culture, it was easy to communicate with the locals. Everyone was extremely friendly & helpful. Being the only minority in a group of white kids never once felt awkward in terms of the way they treated the group compared to me.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis isn't really that weird but we do get pretty weird for mayday.

C-1TloRXgAAYCmB.jpg

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sexism does not a make white women a minority group.

If you have nothing else besides more bad faith arguments, I'm just going to ignore you.
Wow. Please, go ahead and ignore me and I will do the same. I don't need to read tripe from a bigot telling me who they personally think is oppressed or marginalized enough to be put into minority related studies and research (hint: white women are a part of affected groups in sexism research).

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
As a black guy moving there (Netherlands) for the next little while, could I ask about how your general experience was?

I was in Rotterdam for a month for work earlier this year.

I was told directly by a black entrepreneur there that black men are typically looked at as calm, fun, cool etc as opposed to immediately being seen as thugs, violent or a threat like here in America.

I also had strangers of every nationality (Dutch, German, Polish, Australians, Ukrainian, Israeli, Surinamese) show me more friendliness and hospitality than my entire 32 years of life here.

Dating profiles (Tinder/Bumble) don't have the NO BLACKS / NO AA tags and in fact, I have never had that many dates or that much sex in my life in such a short span of time. And nobody treats you differently for dating outside your race, in fact it seemed commonplace.

One other thing that stood out was they were extremely accommodating with regard to me not speaking Dutch. The moment they realize you don't understand the language, they immediately switch to English. In Miami, you can go to Spanish speaking neighborhoods or even just bump into a Spanish-speaking person anywhere and they look at you like scum for not speaking Spanish.

It truly felt like racism was a non-factor while I was there. I met so many cool people from the airport until I left the country. I'm not saying racism didn't exist, but I'll be damned if it didn't feel like stepping into bizarro land comparing my experience to home. I'm planning a trip back this year for vacation because my mind was just that blown.

Slash Ess

Nov 5, 2017
I was in Rotterdam for a month for work earlier this year.

I was told directly by a black entrepreneur there that black men are typically looked at as calm, fun, cool etc as opposed to immediately being seen as thugs, violent or a threat like here in America.

I also had strangers of every nationality (Dutch, German, Polish, Australians, Ukrainian, Israeli, Surinamese) show me more friendliness and hospitality than my entire 32 years of life here.

Dating profiles (Tinder/Bumble) don't have the NO BLACKS / NO AA tags and in fact, I have never had that many dates or that much sex in my life in such a short span of time. And nobody treats you differently for dating outside your race, in fact it seemed commonplace.

One other thing that stood out was they were extremely accommodating with regard to me not speaking Dutch. The moment they realize you don't understand the language, they immediately switch to English. In Miami, you can go to Spanish speaking neighborhoods or even just bump into a Spanish-speaking person anywhere and they look at you like scum for not speaking Spanish.

It truly felt like racism was a non-factor while I was there. I met so many cool people from the airport until I left the country. I'm not saying racism didn't exist, but I'll be damned if it didn't feel like stepping into bizarro land comparing my experience to home. I'm planning a trip back this year for vacation because my mind was just that blown.

Good to know! I feel so much more comfortable knowing this. I just need a place to take care of my hair and we're LIVING.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Good to know! I feel so much more comfortable knowing this. I just need a place to take care of my hair and we're LIVING.
Haha what style are you rocking? I'm growing dreads (they're really short now since I just started last year) so I was able to go the month without having anything done to it. But I was going to one event and needed a line up and was told there were some good places to go. And I saw a bunch of barbershops around.

Now...there's a dish called the barbershop (kapsalon) with a cool little backstory that you'll probably find out about too while you're there lol.

I've never had so much fun exploring a city.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going back to OPs question: I've had my fair share of sexism in the US, and although I don't recall being treated poorly as a tourist elsewhere, it's difficult to compare. I've had people assuming my husband or father are the decision maker, for instance. Ive had salesman dismiss my concerns by saying I should just bat my eyelashes and flirt my way through a problem. I've had bosses hit on me and then retaliate after I did not return their affections by moving me to other departments with less room for advancement.

Dec 24, 2017
Depends. When travelling overseas, in Europe and Canada, I literally have overheard people saying that based on my visible tattoos and dress, that I am an American, and treat me as they would probably treat anyone else. Which means, if they thought I was native Chinese or something, they would be rude as fuck to me.

On the other hand, despite the way I dress, neutral American accent, and visible tattoos, Americans ask which Korea I'm from.