• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Imagine if someone said, hey the nazis were bad but do we have to bomb German buildings?

Yes, we do. All of it has to be burned to the fucking ground.

Al Qaeda is bad but that don't mean you kill a whole restaurant with a missile strike (which happened way too often). Besides, area bombing in WWII was inaccurate and imprecise. You would be lucky if you bombed the right city district.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Then what do you want us to say? To cheer for as much property destruction as possible?
Unfortunately nothing is ever going to change until there's a pressing reason to change things. People can post on facebook or whatever or wish thoughts and prayers but we all need to be in this together and that means nobody is exempt except victims of systemic police violence and murder.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
your point Peter ? thats not the comment I was responding to and it's an unverified source (no offense)
you literally criticized the poster for hoping that something is done if the fires get out of control, implying that he didn't care about lives. You don't see how out of control fires can kill innocent people?

I personally hope it's not true.

Oct 25, 2017
If the people of Minneapolis don't want their shit to burn down, they can agitate for a better policing system.

Or they can do nothing and risk the suppressed anger of people who live in a police state erupting after yet another murder against them is perpetrated.

Oct 25, 2017
That guy's sole contribution in this thread and the Amy thread are concern posting about cops and dogs and property. Lol.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this destruction is terrible. Its dangerous. A lot of property is being ruined. There's risk of violence on the streets

All that has to happen to prevent this is for cops to stop killing unarmed black people. That's it.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this destruction is terrible. Its dangerous. A lot of property is being ruined. There's risk of violence on the streets

All that has to happen to prevent this is for cops to stop killing unarmed black people. That's it.
True but I think this is a result of many different things. It was just the tipping point.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want anyone to get hurt, but these people are not going to go home and sit down and trust that "the process will produce justice"

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Occupied residence now on fire that firefighters are having trouble getting to thanks to the chaos. Fuck all of you in here supporting this, come to my city and talk that shit about "lol burn it all down"

If this is what it takes for America to value black lives I am all for it.

"My city" lmfao. It was George Floyd's city too.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Black people getting shot for walking down the street.
Black people getting shot for protecting a patient who was mentally disabled.
Black people getting shot for protesting peacefully.
Black people getting shot in their own apartments because the police had the wrong address.
Black people getting killed for simply fucking existing.

Yet people wonder why everyone is acting out, yeah no fuck off with the whinging about Stores.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
This has to be the response every time a black life is taken. You care about your business? Tell the cops to stop killing black people.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
If the fires get out of control (as the poster your quoted said) people could die.

You sure are quick to trust a random poster posting about something they heard that their sister heard in order to prove that the protestors are raving murderous lunatics who don't care at all who dies.

It's pretty unlikely the protestors are that careless to burn down occupied buildings.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go. Hopefully this doesn't turn into more of a shitshow then it already is.

It will, sadly. Hopefully the people responsible for George's death face justice, and if this leads to more death of those protesting, that those responsible also face justice.

I would post more, but there's not much more to say that's not just rage. This shit, these cops running rampant, this has to stop.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
You are classless. If any deaths come from this Im sure you'll support that too.

deaths started this man.

I am not advocating burning buildings with people inside obviously but this is civil unrest, some of these people see no other way out. What do you want them to do? Stand and sing then go home tomorrow? In a week another teenager will be shot for jogging while black.

they are DONE with this.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the destruction of property, but I cannot root for the destruction of places that had nothing to do with this. I don't think it should be the focal point of the conversation, but it will hurt this already struggling area and the local people around it.
If the city wants to prevent spillover violence and destruction then it should stop cops from killing unarmed black people

Staff Post

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the protests following the murder of a black man by the Minneapolis police, that same police force's crackdown on said protesters, and the systemic oppression of black people by the police as a whole. It's not about how concerned you are about "riots" or property damage. Anyone trying to derail or concern troll about property damage will be actioned accordingly.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You sure are quick to trust a random poster posting about something they heard that their sister heard in order to prove that the protestors are raving murderous lunatics who don't care at all who dies.

It's pretty unlikely the protestors are that careless to burn down occupied buildings.
FYI

twitter.com

Ted Haller on Twitter

“Dire situation at 2801 E Lake—first responders on scanner describing it as “emergency” with people fleeing building fire to roof.”

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Institutions that are just as racist as law enforcement.

Get out of here with this shit.

You are literally cheering for people to lose their lives here. I don't think I'm the one that needs to readjust priorities.

An apartment building is on fire.

People are trapped. Firefighters are getting attacked.

And you're calling me racist for wanting the firefighters to be left alone so they can do their job and save lives.

How about you miss me with that?

Justice for George Floyd is about holding his murderers to account. It is about holding the police to account. It is about fixing the rot in the system.

Justice is NOT trying to prevent firefighters from saving lives.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the destruction of property, but I cannot root for the destruction of places that had nothing to do with this. I don't think it should be the focal point of the conversation, but it will hurt this already struggling area and the local people around it.

No one is rooting for it.

It just is what it is. You can't murder people for no reason and not expect a response at some point.

America is lucky that black Americans have been so patient with it over the last four hundred years. The oppressors in this thread who are whining about the oppressed being sick to the point of violence and destruction of living under a police state that kills them for fun can fuck right off. They ain't shit.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Did some of you have this same energy when a cop had the weight of his body and a knee on a man's neck???

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't get the whole "these rioters are evil" angle. Rioting is bad, it's understood that it's negative. But what are any of us suppose to do about it now that it's happening in full effect? It is what it is. People are frustrated and angry and they simply don't give a fuck. There are a few people who are more extreme in their "burn it all" perspective (which I disagree with) but as a whole we all understand it is not good. I think what we don't want is to lose perspective. This is a failing of the institution. That has to be the target of your anger. Pointing it at some dude who wants to get a TV is pointless. The conditions that even enable this shit should never exist. When was the last big riot in the US? What caused it? Hmmm.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people have seen everything short of widespread destruction cause exactly zero systemic change or improvement on this issue.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Concern trolling, inflammatory accusations, and abuse of the reporting system; prior bans for similar behavior
I am editing this post after the fact because I want to set the record straight.

Let's start off with a couple things.
  1. This thread is dead. It's long dead and will likely remain dead for the rest of ResetEra's life. Beyond this thread being dead, this is page 20 of a several hundred page thread. No one is ever going to naturally see this post. So why am I taking the time to edit it and "set the record straight?" Because it will forever be in my post history. ResetEra has an incredibly dedicated community that will stop at no lengths when trying to win an argument. There are users who use post histories to ridicule and drag people. This edit is for anyone who is looking through my post history trying to find some dirt on me. Obviously I am very disappointed that my post history now has a post which resulted in a 3 month ban. I am especially embarrassed because I was banned in a thread about social justice for "concern trolling." That shines a very bad light on me. This leads to thing number...
  2. Make no mistake, accusing someone of concern trolling in a thread like this is accusing someone of being racist. Considering that ban was for three months (even though it was initially for two weeks and then inexplicably extended a day or two before that two week period was up, but that's another story that I'll go into later) there is no doubt that the insinuation is that I must be a racist. Why else would I have been banned that long? That is certainly how I took the ban, and it was both infuriating and hurtful because that accusation is so far from the truth that I don't even know where to start.
In my three months of being banned I tried to appeal and contact the mod team several times. I only received a response after several attempts, and that response came over two months into the ban. That response was the bare minimum. It was a far cry from the conversation I asked for, and the response did not address the vast majority of the questions I asked. I was frustrated with how ResetEra's mod and admin staff handled communication during my ban, and I will for full transparency post both my appeal and the staff's response in full. But first I would like to explain my position in this edit.

I think accusing me of concern trolling here is absurd. Anyone who has basic reading comprehension and can take the few minutes required to look at my post in full context will see that. Lucky for you though I will provide all the context here, and the beautiful thing is you can easily check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

This all started when I first entered the thread. I entered the conversation several pages into the discussion so the thread was already ongoing. One of the first posts I saw was this one which reads "Sister in Minneapolis just heard an occupied building is on fire and they are having trouble reaching the people inside." I then responded to someone else who was calling out a poster for "wishing harm on people (possibly death given how police behave) to protect empty buildings." My response said "If the fires get out of control (as the poster your quoted said) people could die" and then cited the post which said that there were occupied buildings on fire. Another user, also citing the post which stated that an occupied building was on fire, took issue with a few people's responses in the thread, and he was criticized. I, trying to stick up for him for a second, quoted those individuals and made this very post which I was banned for. For full transparency that original post will still be in tact at the bottom of this edit. I have segmented it off with a line and am writing this above the original. I am not touching it at all. If you have trouble trusting that I did not edit the original text in order to make myself look better then you need not look any further than a few people who quoted to see that the post is indeed exactly as it was.

Before I continue on, I should make it very clear that the "report" of an occupied building being on fire was false. In the moment I had no clue, and neither did anyone else as this was an evolving and emotional moment in time. But in hindsight we all know that never happened as we would have heard about that for weeks following the first night of protesting.

So let's make this very clear. I was banned for "concern trolling" over a claim that I didn't even make. What happened to the person who dropped that hot trash into this thread? Well, you can see for yourself. Nothing. That person received exactly zero punishment even though their false claim derailed the thread for two full pages. I was banned for concern trolling when in reality it's clear that I was a victim of concern trolling. I fell for it. And quite frankly I'm embarrassed that I did. It's certainly not one of my prouder moments, but in a fast paced and emotional thread it's easy to lose sight of things.

Now look, at the end of the day I still sort of contributed to derailing the thread. For that I am sorry. I made that clear in my first appeal to the staff. Such derailing, intentional or not, probably deserves some level of punishment, but does it really constitute a three month ban? I don't think so, and this is actually where another big issue with my ban comes into play.

I unfortunately have no way of proving this as I didn't think to take a screenshot of my initial ban statement, but my ban was initially for two weeks. Not three months. Now, had this ban simply remained two weeks I would have taken it and moved on with no regard. But maybe a day or two before my ban was supposed to be lifted the length was inexplicably extended from two weeks to three months. That extension cited "after considering your appeals" which is especially odd since my appeals at that point were apologies for derailing the thread. So for apologizing my ban was extended? what? There's a part of me that wonders had I never appealed the ban to begin with would I have just served a two week ban and thats it? I guess I'll never know. But that's where this whole process became so much more frustrating because I wanted to ask that very question to the resetera staff (as well ask have a deeper conversation about the ban).

So I appealed my extended ban. I received no response. This shouldn't come as a surprise since ResetEra's mod and admin team is notorious for being inconsistent with moderation. The only consistent thing about the mod team is how little transparency they show and how impossible it is to contact them. However, I accomplished the impossible. OVER TWO FULL MONTHS INTO MY BAN the admins finally responded to my appeals. Keep in mind that this was after appealing this extended ban SEVERAL times. I did not think to save every appeal in a google doc, so most of them have been lost to time. However I did save what must have been my third or fourth attempt at an appeal, and then reused that appeal in my final appeal which is the appeal the staff FINALLY responded to. Their response after over two full months of waiting was unacceptable and simply did not answer the vast majority of issues I brought up. I received that response as an email, so I can easily copy and paste both the staff's response and the appeal which they responded to. I will now copy and paste those below for full transparency.

below is the appeal which was responded to. You probably don't need to read this as it repeats much of what I already stated above, but again it is here in full for transparency sake:

my appeal said:
Hello. It is july 20th 2020, almost two full months into what I consider to be a pretty poor three month ban. I have appealed this ban several times with no communication reciprocated. I am somewhat frustrated by the lack of transparency. I have really only asked for one thing over these nearly two months: some form of communication. I am disappointed that you have still not reached out to me. I am also growing tired of this nonsense.

Luckily for me, when I wrote my last appeal I copied and pasted it into a document for the sake of getting a word count. Since I pasted it into a google doc, the magic of the internet has saved it and I am able to easily retrieve it. I will be pasting that message below. Everything that follows this paragraph is from my previous appeal. It may or may not be missing a few minor edits that I made after getting the word count, but the points all remain the same. I sincerely ask that you please read the appeal in full. Writing it took nearly an hour. If I can give you an hour of my time the least you can do is give me five to ten minutes of yours. Finally I would like to stress that I am not seeking to be unbanned (though I certainly wouldn't turn it down). At this point its been two months, getting unbanned wouldn't make me feel better. I just want to have a conversation. Once again, you can reach me at the email associated with this account (redacted email address).

Hello resetera staff.

It is July 11th, and I am here yet again not only to appeal my ban but to request some sort of communication. I was banned for three months. I have served about a month and a half of that ban, and I am still waiting to hear back from someone on why I am serving a three month ban. I appealed the ban, and after appealing the ban it was EXTENDED from two weeks to three months. I still have received no explanation why that happened. I am asking for either an explanation or a ban reduction or even removal as I have already served a full month+ on what was originally a two week ban. I am justifiably frustrated by the lack of transparency and reason. I can still be reached at the email associated with this account (redacted email address). I have yet to receive any communication and I hope that changes in the near future. If you continue to ignore me I will continue to speak up.

However I will not go without explaining my side and my perspective again. I will try to do so in great detail. Because this message will likely take a lot of time and effort to write, I hope you will respect that and give me your time by reading it in full and taking my perspective into consideration. It's the leas you can do.

I was banned way back on May 28th for the post which I will link right now:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...eadmarks-to-help.213759/page-15#post-35200098

In this post I respond to two individuals who, in the moment, I felt were justifying why it's ok for other innocent people to get hurt. I was upset with that and responded. Upon writing that post I received backlash and a few minutes later redacted the post because it was clear that I was in the wrong and I didn't want to fuel any further potential derailing in a sensitive thread. In my post I made it very clear that I support the protests and the fight for social justice and equality. That wasn't just some posturing or "bad faith" statement. It's how I genuinely feel and as because I genuinely feel that way I realized I misread the room and made efforts to remove that post.

That post only remains up right now because upon my ban someone on resetera's staff reverted my post. Instead of allowing me to understand my error and remove the post, resetera's mod and admin team (without my consent) quite literally spoke for me. I am understandably and justifiably frustrated by this because it gives the impression that I never chose to remove that post and thus paints me in a worse light. My reputation and name matters to me, and It is genuinely upsetting when someone else goes out of their way to toy with it. This is even more aggrivating when for the first several weeks of my ban that post did not have any tag that it was reverted by a mod. That tag was only posted on JUNE 8TH 2020 after HUNDREDS OF PAGES were added to the thread. It took until my first appeal for moderators to at least recognize that I did attempt to amend and redact my post, and it was far, far too late. I am VERY upset about that, but my issues with my ban go further than this.

In order to further explain myself, I would like to link this post which I will link right now:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...eadmarks-to-help.213759/page-14#post-35199375

This post is important because it's sort of the post that started it all. This isn't some convenient excuse. If you take the time to read through the context of all of my posts and trace them all back you should be able to see it yourself. It is also worth noting that it is at this point of the thread where I first opened it up and entered into the discussion. This is one of the first posts in the thread that I read in the active discussion.

So why is this post so important? Because it shows exactly where my points were coming from. I want to make something VERY CLEAR right now though: It is obvious to me now that this unverified post was false. It was even obvious to me shortly after I started posting in that thread, and the fact that this source was unverified and likely even false also played into why I removed the post I was banned for. I was also going to remove my other posts in the thread for the same reason, but I got banned at the time so I wasn't able to. I guess I technically cant prove that I was in the process of also removing my other posts, but the fact that I did remove the post I was banned for (even though the mod staff reverted that redaction) should give me some credibility here.

When you take into context that this is the post I was basing much of my arguments on my position and perspective should be very clear. I know that in that moment there were many people concern trolling over damaged property and getting more upset about that than the murder of a black man. There should be no doubt after tracing my posts back to their origin and taking all context into consideration that I was not concern trolling over stupid targets or damaged property. My posts all were based on (what we now know to be false) information that people were trapped in burning buildings and responding to people who seemed not to care.

I don't think I was concern trolling at all. I responding to posts and conversations already happening in the thread. I would say that posting fake unverified news in a sensitive thread is much closer to concern trolling than anything I did. Yet I was banned for three months and the individual who made that post received no punishment. Now I'm not asking you to go back and retroactively punish that person. I think that would be silly and totally pointless and ineffective almost a month and a half out. I just want to point out what I feel to be inconsistency.

I have spent the vast majority of this message trying to disprove any concern trolling done. I have to imagine that concern trolling is the main reason I was banned. But, there are some other infractions listed in my ban message that I would also like to quickly address.

1) inflammatory accusation: I kind of think this one is a little bit of a stretch, but at least hear me out. In my post I said the following (this is copied and pasted directly from my post, it is the entirety of these so called "accusations" so that you don't think I am selectively quoting parts of my post. You are more than welcome to also refer the post itself for even more context)

"I absolutely support the protests and I'm disgusted by what happened, but these posts really bother me. So you're ok with more death coming from this? Or at least you're going to come up with excuses or rationals? That's disgusting. The only people who deserve to be hurt in this are the cops who caused it."

I'd say I'm asking them a question which they were more than welcome to answer with a "no." However, I too would be upset if someone even insinuated that I don't care about others so I'm not going to split hairs or argue semantics. I'm not super proud of how I engaged these posters and if I could do it differently I would.

2) abuse of the report system: I'll be honest I don't remember reporting anyone, but I'm sure you have the receipts so I'll take your word that it happened and that I was in the wrong here. This was about a month and a half ago and I'm more concerned about other issues regarding my ban, so you're going to have to forgive me for not remembering much about this part. It hasn't been my focus. Going forward I will not use the report system on era. I will leave that to the other users.

I just copied and pasted this message into a google doc. Doing so revealed to me that it is over 1400 words and that's just the above. I have given you a great deal of my time and put a lot of effort into this message. The least you can do is give me your time and at least consider my points. I don't know if you still have records of any past appeals, but if you do then it should be clear that I know I should have been better and I am willing to hold myself accountable for my mistakes. At the end of the day it's up to me to not derail threads based on unverified information. I can accept that I made a mistake and I was more than willing to serve my initial two week ban. My issue is that the ban was extended to three months with basically no explanation as to why outside of "after considering your appeals." Since my appeals were basically me apologizing for my actions I'm pretty confused by all of this.

I'm willing to admit my mistakes and grow. The question is are you? We all make mistakes. It's ok. But it's only ok if we make a real effort to grow. That was a sensitive thread and I understand that not even mods are going to act perfectly. I do think that sensitive threads should call for sensitive moderation in order to avoid these misunderstandings going forward, but it is what it is. A month and a half is a long time to serve a ban, but I'm willing to forgive and move on if you're willing to hear me out.

Again, you can contact me at the email associated with this account (redacted email address). You are welcome to use a burner account of your own if you chose.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I really hope I got it.

here is the response I got
era staff said:
Hello Peter,

We apologize for the delay, but remember that we have a backlog of emails, so not receiving an immediate reply is not unusual.

The mod edit indicates it was restored by a moderator. Restored to its original state as is standard for moderation to ensure transparency. Your post was has also been quoted by other members, and was not apologetic in its edit, so the impact of your post remains felt by members and does not save you from moderation.

Having reviewed your ban and numerous appeals we have decided that the ban should remain. The ban duration is in part due to the serious subject matter and your account history.

Take care,
ResetEra Staff

I'll let my post history speak for itself. I don't have a history of concern trolling or downplaying social justice issues. I was frustrated with this ban and I wanted to set the record straight in case anyone ever comes by this post again. This edit only took me about 10-15 minutes to write (it's 6:14 as of right now and I started this about 6ish) so not really an issue.

Below is the original, unedited post as the mods left it post ban. I did delete this post before getting banned, but the mods reverted the post after banning me over three months ago (Note: the "post reverted" edit was not put in until the staff responded to my appeal over two months into the ban, so anyone who saw this post after I was banned didn't know that I at least tried to delete the post).

tl;dr: let's be honest, if you're reading this you're sleuthing through my post history. Just stop. Go outside.

Death came from this already. A fucking black man was choked to death. Are you stupid or dumb?
The way to prevent these deaths from happening is for cops to stop killing unarmed black people. If they do that, no-one else will get hurt
I absolutely support the protests and I'm disgusted by what happened, but these posts really bother me. So you're ok with more death coming from this? Or at least you're going to come up with excuses or rationals? That's disgusting. The only people who deserve to be hurt in this are the cops who caused it.

I'm sure people will attack me now and accuse me of posting in bad faith or concern trolling since this is my only contribution to this thread, but I just don't like death. I really really really hope innocent lives aren't lost tonight.

Mod Edit: Post reverted

Last edited:

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020

Again, I'm not going to pearl clutch or say it undermines the situation. A man died. But I hate to see areas that I love and small business burn.
That man's life was worth more than any of those businesses. All those businesses combined. All of the businesses in America combined. The real loss already happened, you shouldn't even be bringing up business right now.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't try and undermine the purpose of the protests with people starting shit. Starting a fire is NOT the message that people are supporting, now stop acting like it is and get back on track.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely support the protests and I'm disgusted by what happened, but these posts really bother me. So you're ok with more death coming from this? Or at least you're going to come up with excuses or rationals? That's disgusting. The only people who deserve to be hurt in this are the cops who caused it.

I'm sure people will attack me now and accuse me of posting in bad faith or concern trolling since this is my only contribution to this thread, but I just don't like death. I really really really hope innocent lives aren't lost tonight.

It's not an attack to point out that you're a racist piece of garbage who is setting up a strawman. It's just the truth.

No one is like WHEE BURN A TARGET DOWN. People are like, hey, you reap what you sow. So why are you so mad at what has been sowed? Be mad at the actions that led to this.

You can be angry at the victims of a police state that commits murders against them on the regular for lashing out, but you'd have to be a real piece of shit to focus on that instead of on the reasons that these buildings are burning in the first place.

Mar 3, 2019
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the protests following the murder of a black man by the Minneapolis police, that same police force's crackdown on said protesters, and the systemic oppression of black people by the police as a whole. It's not about how concerned you are about "riots" or property damage. Anyone trying to derail or concern troll about property damage will be actioned accordingly.

Im currently in the city where the protests are taking place, my family is as well. Am I not allowed to speak about what is happening on the ground? This is confusing.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not okay with more deaths happening. But I want us to be clear about who is ultimately to blame for this: the cops in question, and the Minneapolis Police Department in general. I don't think its reasonable to say "Well the protestors should just stand outside and yell a bunch". The actual solution here isn't protestors behaving more civilly, its protestors sitting at home, without any reason to even go out, because the cops have stopped fucking killing people.

That's where this causal chain starts. That's where the buck stops