• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Watching a live stream that was linked on a previous page. Seems like everyone is white which is a pleasant surprise. Am I just watching the wrong stream or is this the case everywhere in the riots? I guess the racial demographics are vastly different than in St Louis

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are discussing why looting has nothing to do with the movement, messaging, or goals during a riot. Also -- there is a history of concern trolling at a time like this. Not your history, but a general history.
Sure, but we don't live in a world where the average American has critical thinking skills. Pro-Cops are gonna go "SEE YOU NEED US" over the looting and its just frustrating thats what'll happen. And yeah, there's a history of concern trolling, I agree there.

And god knows what will happen next if a looter did indeed kill the store owner.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
this thread last few pages.

U_RD0HhVlLmSeYnYH4SOYcbBgt4=.gif

LOOOOOOLLLL

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should assume it's like that just yet. That entire stretch for a mile is incredibly diverse. It's a huge number of black, Hmong, Hispanic, Somali, and other cultures that own those businesses.
God, being closed from Covid and then burned down? I hope they stay out of the fires.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Sure, but we don't live in a world where the average American has critical thinking skills. Pro-Cops are gonna go "SEE YOU NEED US" over the looting and its just frustrating thats what'll happen. And yeah, there's a history of concern trolling, I agree there.

And god knows what will happen next if a looter did indeed kill the store owner.

By your same point...Which again, is intertwined with people stealing stuff...

PRO-COPS are pro cops no matter what. America is pretty racist, and a white supremacist is president.

You're frustrated? A man was killed for forging a check. Your world of "ZOMG ITS GUNNA BE WORSE AFTER LOOTING." is already here. Are they going to double tap him at his funeral?

Oct 25, 2017
Watching a live stream that was linked on a previous page. Seems like everyone is white which is a pleasant surprise. Am I just watching the wrong stream or is this the case everywhere in the riots? I guess the racial demographics are vastly different than in St Louis
Minneapolis whites are way more liberal than St. Louis whites?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
While I understand why the looting is happening, I also feel sorry for the employees of that Target and Autozone (not the corporations themselves). I'm sure it'll be awhile before those stores are open again, which means a huge chunk of those employees more than likely are out of jobs now. In a time when we're potentially reaching 25% unemployment, who knows how easy it'll be to find new ones. They might've been shitty, minimum wage jobs, but we're at the point where a job is a job.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By your same point...Which again, is intertwined with people stealing stuff...

PRO-COPS are pro cops no matter what. America is pretty racist, and a white supremacist is president.

You're frustrated? A man was killed for forging a check. Your world of "ZOMG ITS GUNNA BE WORSE AFTER LOOTING." is already here. Are they going to double tap him at his funeral?
Things can always get worse. Imagine if things reached the Detroit Riots level? Detroit arguably hasn't recovered from that to this day.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
SWAT team.

Things can always get worse. Imagine if things reached the Detroit Riots level? Detroit arguably hasn't recovered from that to this day.

Then that is precisely why you have accountability for police. This riot/protest isn't going to change anything because america is fine with this.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when do we condone looting? I don't give a fuck about target, but the image it sends is BAD. It's a blank check for assholes to dismiss any movement.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this guy streaming is right up close to the police and swat line

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I understand why the looting is happening, I also feel sorry for the employees of that Target and Autozone (not the corporations themselves). I'm sure it'll be awhile before those stores are open again, which means a huge chunk of those employees more than likely are out of jobs now. In a time when we're potentially reaching 25% unemployment, who knows how easy it'll be to find new ones. They might've been shitty, minimum wage jobs, but we're at the point where a job is a job.
They're still alive, and frankly a LOT of those employees are probably out there protesting themselves. The bottom class that work at Target are also people that are looking to not be murdered in the streets, who knew.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Its concern trolling because I fear things could get worse? What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you WANT things to get to the level of the Detroit Riots?
If it gets to the level of Detroit riots, that is where it gets to. Because it means a total and complete failure of the system again. Why aren't you figuring this out?

Your whining about looting is a symptom.

Its up to the government. Not the citizens to resolve this. I think thats your main problem.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The institutions and powers in charge have had forever to try and solve the issues that caused this whole situation. We already know when shit boils over, it gets hostile, it gets violent and shit gets destroyed. The bitching and complaining about looting is transparent. Of course looting is bad but what the fuck are we suppose to do about it at this exact moment? Isn't it the responsibility of the state to make sure the factors that cause looting don't happen? It takes a lot to get to the point where this happens and it is the fault of the institutions at large, not the general populace who has fucking shown through their actual everyday actions that this doesn't just happen because "damn, need a TV and some golf clubs".

Totally uninterested in that conversation. It's fine to post the news of it and just discuss it but the finger wagging is dumb. Like 10 seconds of critical thought will tell you that this is just people's frustrations and general anger boiling to the point where they just don't give a fuck anymore. And it's society's fault for letting it devolve to this point. If a bunch of shit has to get destroyed because the police are too fucking stupid to figure out that squeezing the life out of a person with your knee is bad then it is what it fucking is.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it gets to the level of Detroit riots, that is where it gets to. Because it means a total and complete failure of the system again. Why aren't you figuring this out?

Your whining about looting is a symptom.
God forbid I have the audacity to hope things don't end up the worse case scenario.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Its concern trolling because I fear things could get worse? What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you WANT things to get to the level of the Detroit Riots?

I am sure you do with the amount of effort you put into this thread discussing your "concern" with looting then the actual protests.

I am sure you think you care about the movement but you dont, because you did then you wouldn't have spent this much energy and effort on fucking AutoZone and target. Basically concern trolling.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern trolling across multiple posts in a sensitive thread
They dismiss any movement anyway.

Here, you dropped your pearls.

Grow up. News tomorrow will be will be wall to wall videos of people running out of stores with big TVs without any substantive talk of George Floyd.

"But at least we stuck it to Target!"

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The institutions and powers in charge have had forever to try and solve the issues that caused this whole situation. We already know when shit boils over, it gets hostile, it gets violent and shit gets destroyed. The bitching and complaining about looting is transparent. Of course looting is bad but what the fuck are we suppose to do about it at this exact moment? Isn't it the responsibility of the state to make sure the factors that cause looting don't happen? It takes a lot to get to the point where this happens and it is the fault of the institutions at large, not the general populace who has fucking shown through their actual everyday actions that this doesn't just happen because "damn, need a TV and some golf clubs".

Totally uninterested in that conversation. It's fine to post the news of it and just discuss it but the finger wagging is dumb. Like 10 seconds of critical thought will tell you that this is just people's frustrations and general anger boiling to the point where they just don't give a fuck anymore. And it's society's fault for letting it devolve to this point.
Yep. We alreadysaw last night what was basically a public warning by the people that justice needs to be done or shit is getting worse. Nothing happened, now it's 'worse'

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe stop with the faux concern about what ifs and what could bes? A black man just got killed. The system failed. The city failed. Everything failed. Period.

who gives a fuck about if it gets to detroit

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
God forbid I have the audacity to hope things don't end up the worse case scenario.

Audacity, lol. You start out with "THIS ISN'T GOING TO HELP THE MOVMENT!!?!@?'

Now we're onto 'but the Detroit riots!"

all just gliding hypersonically past the concept that this is a total failure of the system we are witnessing. the protestors didn't just wake up and decide to burn the city down on a whim.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grow up. News tomorrow will be will be wall to wall videos of people running out of stores with big TVs without any substantive talk of George Floyd.

"But at least we stuck it to Target!"
Honest question, as a white man: Do you think if nobody looted anything, that the news tomorrow would be about George Floyd at all beyond a token mention?
I don't.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure you do with the amount of effort you put into this thread discussing your "concern" with looting then the actual protests.

I am sure you think you care about the movement but you dont, because you did then you wouldn't have spent this much energy and effort on fucking AutoZone and target. Basically concern trolling.
I am sitting in my bed with a laptop. I can assure you I'm spending a minimum amount of effort.
Maybe stop with the faux concern about what ifs and what could bes? A black man just got killed. The system failed. The city failed. Everything failed. Period.
You think I don't know that? Or that I don't care?
Audacity, lol. You start out with "THIS ISN'T GOING TO HELP THE MOVMENT!!?!@?'

Now we're onto 'but the Detroit riots!"

all just gliding hypersonically past the concept that this is a total failure of the system we are witnessing. the protestors didn't just wake up and decide to burn the city down on a whim.
Except I agree this is a massive failure of the system? When did I say it wasn't?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you're worried about the worst case scenario you should be trying to convince the government to not steamroll the protestors, and to subsequently make foundational reform to the police, and jail the relevant officers for life.

That's how you do it. Not whining about TVs.