• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Been selling some of my old games. Had no idea how valuable some of this stuff was that have been collecting dust.

I also have a bunch of clothes that never fit right that i never wear.. but i keep thinking what if i lose/gain weight ha

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I was really tempted to buy a soundbar. But honestly I have so little opportunities to use it that it would be mostly a waste of money.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I was really tempted to buy a soundbar. But honestly I have so little opportunities to use it that it would be mostly a waste of money.

OP, any recommendations for blogs or books on minimalism? I helped a friend purge two car loads worth of craft stuff last year, but now she's getting back into "collecting" small items like cheap jewelry. Covid boredom I guess?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
OP, any recommendations for blogs or books on minimalism? I helped a friend purge two car loads worth of craft stuff last year, but now she's getting back into "collecting" small items like cheap jewelry. Covid boredom I guess?
Not the OP, but "Goodbye Things" is one of my favourites. He takes it to an extreme, which put in to perspective for me how easy it should be for me to pare down a lot and still feel like I'm living a lavish life of convenience.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
As the person above me said, Goodbye Things is very useful. The guy is pretty hardcore though. He sleeps on the floor, has exactly three shirts and some stuff like that that might put off some people. But the advice is pretty much very good. The life changing magic of tidying up is very good as well, but Marie Kondo isn't exactly a minimalist.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
As the person above me said, Goodbye Things is very useful. The guy is pretty hardcore though. He sleeps on the floor, has exactly three shirts and some stuff like that that might put off some people. But the advice is pretty much very good. The life changing magic of tidying up is very good as well, but Marie Kondo isn't exactly a minimalist.

I think she's a good step on the journey. I'm far from the lifestyle in Goodbye Things, but I know the concepts, and how they're presented, in Marie Kondo's book (and the show too somewhat), can resonate with people to control their "stuff" instead of letting it control them. It's not making them minamilists in the classic interpretation, but it's getting them on a path of control. catpurrcat , that might be what they need right now? A path?

A lot of people here "minimalist" or "I'm intentionally not buying stuff" & run scared for the hills in reaction because we're coming to take away all their toys + piles of stuff. I see it on BoardGameGeek + I see it on here all the time.

Oct 28, 2017
r/minimalism is good but sometimes I feel everyone there tries to one up (or one down) in order to earn their minimalist badge. Or people saying 'can I keep my closet bursting with stuff and still be a minimalist?'
It's Reddit so you're going to get dumb stuff but it's more to view and read the community than be a part of it, should of been more clear there.

Oct 28, 2017
I think she's a good step on the journey. I'm far from the lifestyle in Goodbye Things, but I know the concepts, and how they're presented, in Marie Kondo's book (and the show too somewhat), can resonate with people to control their "stuff" instead of letting it control them. It's not making them minamilists in the classic interpretation, but it's getting them on a path of control. catpurrcat , that might be what they need right now? A path?

A lot of people here "minimalist" or "I'm intentionally not buying stuff" & run scared for the hills in reaction because we're coming to take away all their toys + piles of stuff. I see it on BoardGameGeek + I see it on here all the time.
Technically you're a minimalist if you don't have extra stuff, as in more than what you need, reasonably want, and are not miserable/unhappy. This place is fucking miserable when it comes to change and a lack of consumerism

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Not the OP, but "Goodbye Things" is one of my favourites. He takes it to an extreme, which put in to perspective for me how easy it should be for me to pare down a lot and still feel like I'm living a lavish life of convenience.
You can also check out r/minimalism.

I appreciate all of you, such fast responses and really good ones here. Very much appreciate it.

Will check reddit and Goodbye Things. Kondo is cool but seems to be for more of the severe cases. (I don't know why but it seems strange to talk about minimalism on Netflix lol)

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
BTW I'm always happy to see this thread pop up in my subscriptions. Thanks, y'all.
Me too!
I just turned 49. I've been really working on decluttering since early 2017 and am determined to mostly complete the journey before I turn 50. I've made a fair chunk of change doing so but it is getting harder as the stuff that left isn't worth as much and some is even not great to donate or recycle -- I hate contributing to landfill. But go it must!
I still have many things that would be considered clutter by many but I'm trying to make sure the clutter is "meaningful" -- stuff from trips, stuff the kids made, stuff that I use or reasonably plan to use. Anything else, the things that are there just because they "bring me joy" need to be displayable -- no more bins of stuff secreted away. One challenge is things I have for display but still keep the boxes for moving or eventual sale should I wish to part with them. I hate hanging on to that but...
Anyhow, thanks for all of the help and inspiration you've all brought me thus far!

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate all of you, such fast responses and really good ones here. Very much appreciate it.

Will check reddit and Goodbye Things. Kondo is cool but seems to be for more of the severe cases. (I don't know why but it seems strange to talk about minimalism on Netflix lol)
Ah, the show is a bit different from the book. I guess the show went for a more 'dramatic/extreme' angle to make it more palatable for Americans.

Oct 28, 2017

Kondo seems fine, her message was mostly does the thing make you happy. Although I don't know much about the show and her, I just fell into minimalism naturally and not jumping on the fad train, lol.
Me too!
I just turned 49. I've been really working on decluttering since early 2017 and am determined to mostly complete the journey before I turn 50. I've made a fair chunk of change doing so but it is getting harder as the stuff that left isn't worth as much and some is even not great to donate or recycle -- I hate contributing to landfill. But go it must!
I still have many things that would be considered clutter by many but I'm trying to make sure the clutter is "meaningful" -- stuff from trips, stuff the kids made, stuff that I use or reasonably plan to use. Anything else, the things that are there just because they "bring me joy" need to be displayable -- no more bins of stuff secreted away. One challenge is things I have for display but still keep the boxes for moving or eventual sale should I wish to part with them. I hate hanging on to that but...
Anyhow, thanks for all of the help and inspiration you've all brought me thus far!
You could just donate it regardless of what you think the valuation is or yeah just junk it if no other choice, it happens sometimes.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Also, thanks for bumping this thread. I was going to order some shit but after a night of sleeping through the decision I decided not to haha

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This place is fucking miserable when it comes to change
Most people don't like/deal well with change. It is inherently uncomfortable.

My own tangent: I've been finding it interesting how many things incorporate change, like scifi themes, natural systems, philosophies, etc. Change is basically a fundamental law of the universe and yet we resist it against all reason.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Also, becoming a minimalist is a great goal to have for 2021 once the vaccines and whatnot are getting rolled out

What are some things you can do to get started on being one?

Like I said, I've been purging stuff (giving away, donating, ect) but I was wondering if there's any new stuff to do in 2020.

Oct 28, 2017
Most people don't like/deal well with change. It is inherently uncomfortable.

My own tangent: I've been finding it interesting how many things incorporate change, like scifi themes, natural systems, philosophies, etc. Change is basically a fundamental law of the universe and yet we resist it against all reason.
Oh I know, there are three things guaranteed in life; Death, Taxes, and Change.

Like I said, I've been purging stuff (giving away, donating, ect) but I was wondering if there's any new stuff to do in 2020.
Easy, start going though your belongings.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
A couple days ago I started making a list of things I wanted to do in 2021, which lead to starting the prep work for cutting down the gaming library. I've got a spreadsheet made up and while I haven't really engaged with any of Marie Kondo's works, the prompt of "does this bring you joy?" feels like a good question to be asking myself as I work through my older (and current) games as a way to determine which games I have sentimental value or want to revisit down the road. Everything else is going in the purge bin.

What I didn't expect is that part of me is actually gleeful about this plan since I already know there's a number of games that won't make the cut, and I'll no longer be shackled to them.

If you have to complicate it, it's not truly minimal 😉

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I've found that things fall into three categories: 1) this doesn't bring me joy, 2) this brings me joy but not THAT much joy (when I discovered a game I liked sells for $250+ on Ebay), 3) this brings me joy at any price (my Ultima IV signed by Richard Garriott, much of the stuff my kids made, etc.).

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
A couple days ago I started making a list of things I wanted to do in 2021, which lead to starting the prep work for cutting down the gaming library. I've got a spreadsheet made up and while I haven't really engaged with any of Marie Kondo's works, the prompt of "does this bring you joy?" feels like a good question to be asking myself as I work through my older (and current) games as a way to determine which games I have sentimental value or want to revisit down the road. Everything else is going in the purge bin.

What I didn't expect is that part of me is actually gleeful about this plan since I already know there's a number of games that won't make the cut, and I'll no longer be shackled to them.
If you have to complicate it, it's not truly minimal 😉

Good move, and be strong! Did that a few years back and it started me on a trend to purge even MORE. 25 cartridges or 1 mini console?

You're right, you can determine what you're realistically going to go back to.

I used to think going all digital was a waste of money because there's no resale. Yet painfully transitioning to it was a blessing in disguise, as I'm finding more thought before making purchases, since resale doesn't exist. So buying way less, with zero space taken up, is awesome.

The few digital games are keepers for life, and you WILL find it pure glee havig fewer but higher quality games left, and not be shackled to a physical backlog 😊

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Technically you're a minimalist if you don't have extra stuff, as in more than what you need, reasonably want, and are not miserable/unhappy. This place is fucking miserable when it comes to change and a lack of consumerism

yeah agreed

but thi

You could start applying min toward your financials and digital life

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Good move, and be strong! Did that a few years back and it started me on a trend to purge even MORE. 25 cartridges or 1 mini console?

I'm thinking of this more as a first cut. There's some absolute dreck in my NES and Game Boy sets from when I was kid because my family didn't know better, but the more recent stuff is going to be harder. But yeah, there's a part of me that knows that the real memories are the games themselves not the plastic husks.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda, more like using phones/apps/social media less. But footprint is a good word for all of that

That's an interesting thought. I like it! Phones are powerful tools of frugality IF services are kept in check.

Digital footprint reduction/minimalism could start with:

-Reducing streaming services to 1-2 of what you use the most

-Eliminating purchases on gatcha and FTP games on mobile, DLC on console/PC

-Reducing social media use (cuz of the ads/temptation to buy buy buy)

-deleting photos and email clutter in the cloud

-Selling old phones from your drawer

Hmmm that's all I can think of for now, anyone have other ideas?

Oct 28, 2017
That's an interesting thought. I like it! Phones are powerful tools of frugality IF services are kept in check.

Digital footprint reduction/minimalism could start with:

-Reducing streaming services to 1-2 of what you use the most

-Eliminating purchases on gatcha and FTP games on mobile, DLC on console/PC

-deleting photos and email clutter in the cloud

-Selling old phones from your drawer

Hmmm that's all I can think of for now, anyone have other ideas?
You can also make a new more curated account but money.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Well, having less stuff is a part of it, but Apocrypha had a great suggestion of taking inventory, because it's not just about less stuff as much as it is, for lack of a better term, mindful possession, and you can't achieve that until you know what you possess in totality. Until you achieve that, your conception of your "excess" is amorphous and unknowable, so just purging does not achieve what minimalism sets out to do.

Somewhat similarly to the artistic style it shares a name with, minimalism is very much about and preoccupied with intentionality; minimalist materialism specifically mostly expresses that through leading a more deliberate life with focus and having the spaces that you occupy and the things you possess reflect that deliberate nature. This is often why minimalism is also associated with being tidy, because tidiness is another expression of deliberate and orderly living.

Accumulation is quite often viewed as accidental or involuntary, something that "creeps up on you", as though your space and the possessions within are permitted to have a character that is wholly separate from you or your own intent, that it just... happens.

So taking a full inventory gives you a better picture of what possessions you own and which ones best reflect what kind of life you want to live. Once you've done that and decided the kind of life you want, you can easily be rid of anything that doesn't reflect your intent and end a pattern of accumulation of stuff that doesn't fit that intent, either.

That's what I mean by mindful possession, where everything you keep is meant to focus your life in directions you want it to go and bring you some peace and happiness you'll need to get there, to achieve a deliberate lifestyle.

Decluttering is just step one.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The new minimalist documentary on Netflix is worth a watch. Nothing totally mind blowing.. but it has given me extra motivation to buy less and get rid of more.

I might actually do that challenge at the end. Get rid of one thing day 1, two things day 2 etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Well, having less stuff is a part of it, but Apocrypha had a great suggestion of taking inventory, because it's not just about less stuff as much as it is, for lack of a better term, mindful possession, and you can't achieve that until you know what you possess in totality. Until you achieve that, your conception of your "excess" is amorphous and unknowable, so just purging does not achieve what minimalism sets out to do.

Somewhat similarly to the artistic style it shares a name with, minimalism is very much about and preoccupied with intentionality; minimalist materialism specifically mostly expresses that through leading a more deliberate life with focus and having the spaces that you occupy and the things you possess reflect that deliberate nature. This is often why minimalism is also associated with being tidy, because tidiness is another expression of deliberate and orderly living.

Accumulation is quite often viewed as accidental or involuntary, something that "creeps up on you", as though your space and the possessions within are permitted to have a character that is wholly separate from you or your own intent, that it just... happens.

So taking a full inventory gives you a better picture of what possessions you own and which ones best reflect what kind of life you want to live. Once you've done that and decided the kind of life you want, you can easily be rid of anything that doesn't reflect your intent and end a pattern of accumulation of stuff that doesn't fit that intent, either.

That's what I mean by mindful possession, where everything you keep is meant to focus your life in directions you want it to go and bring you some peace and happiness you'll need to get there, to achieve a deliberate lifestyle.

Decluttering is just step one.
Excellent post. It will be one of my objectives this year. I already decluttered around October but I've been postponing a second round because I've been lazy.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I would recommend against this if you only want to avoid ads or feel tempted to buy stuff. It is better to learn to ignore them in the long run, really. It is hard, but more satisfying in the end, makes you feel in control of your acts. Better try:
  • Plan every single buy and don't settle for the cheapest options: search for durable stuff that actually meets all your requirements.
  • If you are not sure if you really want to buy something or not on a online store, leave that thing on the basket for a few days. If you don't even remember that you left that thing there, maybe you don't really want nor need it.
  • Think about what you already have at home before purchasing anything. Maybe you don't need that new shiny toy that can do everything in one because you already have at home more reliable stuff that can do that same "everything".
That helped me a lot through the last months.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend against this if you only want to avoid ads or feel tempted to buy stuff. It is better to learn to ignore them in the long run, really. It is hard, but more satisfying in the end, makes you feel in control of your acts. Better try:
  • Plan every single buy and don't settle for the cheapest options: search for durable stuff that actually meets all your requirements.
  • If you are not sure if you really want to buy something or not on a online store, leave that thing on the basket for a few days. If you don't even remember that you left that thing there, maybe you don't really want nor need it.
  • Think about what you already have at home before purchasing anything. Maybe you don't need that new shiny toy that can do everything in one because you already have at home more reliable stuff that can do that same "everything".
That helped me a lot through the last months.
Great advice!

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
One of the mantras I really want to put into practice is to overcome my own insatiability. I'm still at the stage where I have to constantly remind myself that I've decided to get into this lifestyle because I already have enough.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I think that just comes in time. The longer you have this mindset the fewer "episodes" you'll have where you want things. I still browse new tech, tools, etc. that I find interesting just because I like keeping up with what's going on, but I used to browse sales and have a difficult time not purchasing something if it was a "good deal". Now I can see something at a very competitive price and have no issues at all ignoring it. It's like exercising or practising anything; the more you do it the easier it gets.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've sold roughly about 75 games over the last 2 months. It's become a game unto itself seeing just how much easier it is letting go of some of this stuff.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
In my case, keeping in mind the longterm upkeep for items definitely helps a lot in making me not want to have them. Whenever I consider a new object I think about cleaning, organizing, etc, and the possibility of adding clutter. I recently purchased a new bedside lamp (actually needed it), and I realized that it being easy to clean became part of the aesthetics for me, haha.

I mentioned this before in the thread, but getting into minimalism made me see that the cost of things goes beyond the financial. I try to consider that even when I buy a game on Steam, download a new app or make a new social account. Digital things will also cost you time, arguably the most important resource.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Those are great points Fuu, and I find myself doing the same to a degree. I hadn't thought about it in terms of cleaning as much, at least not consciously, but I could see myself doing that going forward. I do try to factor in total cost of ownership into purchases though; when things have ongoing repair and maintenance costs involved it definitely makes sense to weigh that into a purchasing decision to decide whether a potential purchase actually adds value to your life, saves you time overall, etc.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
One of the mantras I really want to put into practice is to overcome my own insatiability. I'm still at the stage where I have to constantly remind myself that I've decided to get into this lifestyle because I already have enough.

Thank you for this, NarohDethan. I'm not aiming for "15 things" or even 100 things. I like to play boardgames. I still have too many tschotkes, books and videogames - those are being whittled down day by day, week by week... But I'm still on the path of being comfortable with less, buying with more intent, living with more intent. But it's a journey.

My wife is researching junkhaul services for the garage. This is a big step forward for her.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really have those impulses anymore and yeah I've been far more happy that I don't have to maintain things, simpler.
Thank you for this, NarohDethan. I'm not aiming for "15 things" or even 100 things. I like to play boardgames. I still have too many tschotkes, books and videogames - those are being whittled down day by day, week by week... But I'm still on the path of being comfortable with less, buying with more intent, living with more intent. But it's a journey.

My wife is researching junkhaul services for the garage. This is a big step forward for her.
Remember it's all about having the minimum that makes you happy, not making yourself unhappy.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not minimalism related but do you keep a schedule of your day or week? Like, reminders on your phone to remember to do this or that.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably not minimalism related but do you keep a schedule of your day or week? Like, reminders on your phone to remember to do this or that.
Well, a huge chunk of my day is spent working, whether I want to or not, so yes, I have a fairly regimented routine specifically so necessary tasks don't slip through cracks.