• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing this for years. Unless its a game I 100% will revisit in the future or as good MP I will finish a game within a week or two then resell and get back 80-90% of it's value. Best way to do it in my opinion. Kinda feels like i'm just renting it.

The only thing is that it's sort of a risk because if you can't find someone who wants to buy your game, you're sort of stuck with it :x

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping to see some pictures of minimalist spaces in this thread.

Does anyone know if there's somewhere people share those?

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
r/minimalism perhaps?

Thanks. I'll check there for sure!

As an aside, do you all purge your clothing? I'm trying to downsize and have had moderate success.

But I still kinda want to go further so that in total, I only have 50 items of clothing at any given time. Or maybe less? Who knows.

Oct 28, 2017

As an aside, do you all purge your clothing? I'm trying to downsize and have had moderate success.

But I still kinda want to go further so that in total, I only have 50 items of clothing at any given time. Or maybe less? Who knows.

Yes, but I can have a very small amount of clothing. Other may not be as lucky.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Not to mention amiibos are a pain to clean!

No kidding. I kinda let it slide / justified it to myself because my grandparents used to collect these Norman Rockwell figures which were neat but I absolutely hate dusting for precisely the reason of needing to move things off surfaces and dust those as well. So in the box they stay until I figure out what to do with them. My current place has far fewer things that need to be moved for dusting which is great.

Speaking of digital minimalism, I emptied my iPhone's home screen of all icons. Now the stuff I need on a daily basis, like messaging and browser, are in folders on the home bar thing and everything else is hidden away in the app library.

This was by far the best part of the upgrade for me. I already had everything in folders to keep it all on a single screen, but like 95% of the apps on my phone I rarely use on a daily basis. So it was nice getting the home screen down to just the essentials, with room for a couple of widgets which have been largely disappointing so far.

I've been thinking about deleting my social media accounts too. I genuinely never use Facebook anymore, but I'm guessing if I delete it, I couldn't use Instagram anymore?

Not sure if this will work as I never used IG, but I know you can deactivate the FB account and Messenger still works. That might be an option to try as well.

The only thing is that it's sort of a risk because if you can't find someone who wants to buy your game, you're sort of stuck with it :x

Can attest to this given my experiences in the B/S/T thread. I'm still trying to offload the last few CEs I want to purge from the PS3 era and no one is biting 😭

I did a purge pre-COVID but that was largely born out of dropping about 40 lbs and realizing a number of articles no longer really fit, and it gave me a solid opportunity to purge a lot of graphic tees I was not wearing. Ended up donating 4 trash bags to the local Goodwill in the process.

Most recently I did another mini-purge to flush a few more graphic tees that survived the first purge along with about 50-75% of the tees I had stashed away as sleepwear that were taking up the majority of a dresser drawer. Doing so allowed me to condense my sleepwear and regular tees into a single drawer which I thought was pretty awesome.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the neighbourhood picked up a box of games my kids have aged out of and a coworker picked up a bunch of beer related books. Definitely more to go, and good to see these things go to people who are appreciative of em. Pay it forward.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the neighbourhood picked up a box of games my kids have aged out of and a coworker picked up a bunch of beer related books. Definitely more to go, and good to see these things go to people who are appreciative of em. Pay it forward.
It really is a good feeling to have things that you had sitting tucked away collecting dust given to someone who will actually make use of them and enjoy them. Makes getting rid of things you don't use much more enjoyable.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It's difficult for me. It's one of the few categories where having more than one of something is openly encouraged to express individualism outwardly.
That being said, the clothes I kept got regularly rotated. I had a "closet queue" where I wasn't allowed to wear recently washed clothes until I had worn every other possible outfit from the prior wash cycle at least once. As soon as I was unwilling or unable to wear something, THAT was when I got rid of it. I guess that's like the KonMari method on an endless shuffle and repeat.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
As soon as I was unwilling or unable to wear something, THAT was when I got rid of it. I guess that's like the KonMari method on an endless shuffle and repeat.

I've adopted something similar to that. I noticed there were certain shirts that were ending up at the end of the closet or the bottom of the dresser drawer and I realized that I didn't want to wear it, so into the donation bag they went.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know what the worst thing you can do as a minimalist is? Run a small business that leaves a paper trail.

Seeing the mountain of documents that need scanning so I can pitch them into the nearest wood furnace gets my blood pumping for all the wrong reasons.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
So today I mailed off a PSP game for an eBay sale that sold for $1.99 + costs. The game is lousy & doesn't deserve any of my mental effort spent on it, but it was a random gift from a good friend that worked at the publisher at the time. I have no loyalty or investment in the game, but I have investment and a ton of memories (baggage?) about the good friendship that I moved away. And that's why the game's sat there for 10+ years effectively unplayed, unloved, but remembered, along side others.

The time it took to photograph, list, follow, mail off, and now post about is worth way more than two bucks... But it's still good to see that game go.

Oct 28, 2017
So today I mailed off a PSP game for an eBay sale that sold for $1.99 + costs. The game is lousy & doesn't deserve any of my mental effort spent on it, but it was a random gift from a good friend that worked at the publisher at the time. I have no loyalty or investment in the game, but I have investment and a ton of memories (baggage?) about the good friendship that I moved away. And that's why the game's sat there for 10+ years effectively unplayed, unloved, but remembered, along side others.

The time it took to photograph, list, follow, mail off, and now post about is worth way more than two bucks... But it's still good to see that game go.
This is common, we hold on to these things because of memories attached to them more often than not.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
This is a common feeling I think. As you get more discerning with what you intend to keep you'll likely get more intentional with your time and how you value it. I sold big things that were worth money, smaller things worth less money I batched together either in lots for sale, or used a set amount of time to do all the work of taking pictures and making listings all at once. Things of little value that took what I felt was too much work vs the return I would receive just went into a donation bin and dropped off. The end result of all options was a good feeling about something I owned and didn't use going to a person who would appreciate it much more.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
You are right, but I just can't get my head around that FOMO. It really sucks, quite frankly. Like my PC is, right now, more powerful than at least 90% of gaming PCs out there yet I still feel that I need to upgrade.

It doesn't help this issue being on an enthusiast website like this. This is probably the worst place to be if you have a technical FOMO and may not be a bad idea to take a brief absence, especially right now during the launch of the new consoles. If you're getting anxiety over the shiny new toys this place will honestly drive you bonkers.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
You are right, but I just can't get my head around that FOMO. It really sucks, quite frankly. Like my PC is, right now, more powerful than at least 90% of gaming PCs out there yet I still feel that I need to upgrade. I know that marketing is very much built around instilling that anxiety, but the amount of obsessing I do can't be healthy lol

I suppose for me a 'minimalist' lifestyle would be one more akin to how it was back when I was younger. Where I couldn't buy everything so I just had what I had and that was it. I don't know how I'm going to get back to that stage and stay there. In the end even if I do sell stuff and minimise what I have I feel that I'm just going to go back to that FOMO and anxiety in time anyway. Couple that with the stress of selling stuff (especially now with stuff like car-boot sales and the like being non-existent) and I just don't know how I'm gonna move away from where I am right now.

FOMO is a feeling.

And like all feelings, it's bound to pass. Usually there's a point where we get hooked and fantasize about having that specific thing we really want and how great it'd be blah blah blah.

But it does pass. The one thing you need to figure out is those things you're not okay with passing by, and the ones that you're not.

The point isn't to be miserable, it's to be selective and intentional.

EDIT: I just realized I replied to something old RIP. Sorry Plum!

Plum

May 31, 2018
FOMO is a feeling.

And like all feelings, it's bound to pass. Usually there's a point where we get hooked and fantasize about having that specific thing we really want and how great it'd be blah blah blah.

But it does pass. The one thing you need to figure out is those things you're not okay with passing by, and the ones that you're not.

The point isn't to be miserable, it's to be selective and intentional.

EDIT: I just realized I replied to something old RIP. Sorry Plum!

lol no worries (and same to dragon above!). These feelings haven't really gone away fully, so any advice is always useful :) Same goes for anyone else who might be reading this.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I had no idea this thread existed and I've subscribed. This is hitting me at the perfect time in my life. I've just returned home from a brief foray to the UK ( I moved 2 months before Covid hit so my wife and I decided to reverse course and be closer to family and our properties). There are two things hitting me right now that's pushing me towards a more minimalistic approach to life:

- My aging parents ( dad 82 and mom 74) have over time become owned by their things. I'm talking rooms filled with old clothes, stacks of paperwork from my dads business, to the point that they're into hoarder status. I've tried for at least 5 years to get them to clear out while they were able-bodied enough to do so. Over the last couple of years Dementia has hit my father, my mother has been hit with debilitating sciatica pain, and they've just aged out of being able to physically do much now. It annoys me to no end that I feel like this has become my task to fix when I saw this day coming from a mile away, and what makes it so hard is they just won't let go of some things, to the point where I'm actually arguing with them about it. At a certain age people just become inflexible and stuck in their ways, and I'm vowing to not become what I see before me. Which leads me to..

- I look at my own possessions and I'm making sense of it all. Most recently I've sold off comics and a few blu rays, but even dropping other movies to giveaway prices people arent biting. So I've resolved that the time and effort to sell these things for relative peanuts is not worth the time and effort dealing with peoples bullshit on Facebook. You know, those who express interest then ghost you, and when you follow up you can see they saw your message and they just choose to ignore you? Yeah, fuck that so shits getting donated this weekend.

The big test for me are my games. I have NES games but no console. SNES games, most of which I want but a few have modern ports so why keep them ( novelty? Moving past that). PS1 games that look horrible on my HDTV but some RPGs that are worth alot of money. Same with my Saturn collection. Scores of 360, PS3, Wii games that I bought cheap and told myself I'd play. I'm over it, I really am, and just don't want these things around me anymore. The thrill of the hunt left once retro game collecting hit mainstream and you were competing with resellers. Not worth it. Nor do I want the mindset of constantly looking out for things to add to an ever-expanding collection of games I simply won't play. I'm left with alot of shit that no longer matters, and I'm no longer driven to acquire more of it. These things represent memories but I've realized the vast majority will not be replayed ( or played once in some cases) and it's time I stopped deluding myself otherwise.

So I'm cashing out where I can, and focusing on the games I really treasure ( 16 bit era stuff), being extremely selective with current purchases and donating what I can't sell ( exception my Saturn RPGs because there's simply no way I'm giving away CIB copies or Dragon force, Lunacy and the like.) If I didnt live on a remote island that's a dead zone for retro collecting, that stuff would be up for sale too. This has also spread into my social media feeds. Your metal jesus rocks/ John Hancock types prompting you to collect, collect, collect. Yeah, unsubscribed.

That has also filtered down in other ways. I deactivated my main facebook account, and created one *exclusively* for marketplace dealing. Instagram and Twitter are gone. I'm not interested in scrolling down pages and seeing a bunch of opinions, selfies, political and covid rhetoric, and the general narcissistic cesspool that these social media sites have evolved into. I've deactivated several forum accounts( not this one which ironically I probably spend more time on than most, but I'm getting better at sorting through what I want to click on). And last but certainly not least, minimizing people in my life who dont contribute in a positive manner. Unfortunately this has led to distancing myself from a few people that I was once very close with, but as time has passed I've recognized some things about these people that dont vibe with me. Eating and drinking out constantly, soaking up social media and putting their entire lives on it, and just generally being about things that I'm getting away from in terms of lifestyle and what I value. One friend in particular seems to be about collecting as many 'friends' as possible while I'm consolidating and trying to make my circle more intimate. Just trending in different directions and it's just naturally created a chasm.

Sorry if this post is bit all over the place, not my best by any stretch. Just got alot of thoughts to get off my chest and glad I found this thread to unload. I wish everyone here well and I'll definitely be keeping tabs. Cheers....

Last edited:

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
lol no worries (and same to dragon above!). These feelings haven't really gone away fully, so any advice is always useful :) Same goes for anyone else who might be reading this.

I honestly would say take like a week off this site and see how you feel. As long as you're seeing people here talking about RTX,ray tracing and 120fps blah blah and blah it's like sitting in a room full of smokers while you're trying to quit.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I still have a bunch of games here, I only keep physical copies of games I really appreciate, everything else gets sold/donated. None of them are worth any serious money anyway hah

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
It's quite sad to see this thread die, tbh. I recently started my journey into a minimalist life style and it feels quite refreshing once you make up your mind into it. Any buying desire almost disapeared, clutter is slowly leaving my house and i'm finally able to buy things that i actually need, but i couldn't buy before because i was spending in unnecessary stuff.

I'm not telling everyone should be a minimalist but... i think it is a healthy mindset towards consumerism and how everything around us constantly invites us to buy stuff we don't need just because it is new, shiny or trendy. You don't need to live in an empty bedroom with all your belongings on a backpack to be a minimalist, i think. For me it is about being mindful about your belongings and needs, as well as the money you spend on fulfilling those needs.

I hope i'm making myself understand, kek.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite sad to see this thread die, tbh. I recently started my journey into a minimalist life style and it feels quite refreshing once you make up your mind into it. Any buying desire almost disapeared, clutter is slowly leaving my house and i'm finally able to buy things that i actually need, but i couldn't buy before because i was spending in unnecessary stuff.

I'm not telling everyone should be a minimalist but... i think it is a healthy mindset towards consumerism and how everything around us constantly invites us to buy stuff we don't need just because it is new, shiny or trendy. You don't need to live in an empty bedroom with all your belongings on a backpack to be a minimalist, i think. For me it is about being mindful about your belongings and needs, as well as the money you spend on fulfilling those needs.

I hope i'm making myself understand, kek.
Yeah a lot of people seem to have the idea that being minimalist is staring at the floor all day in an empty white room. For me it's just the simplicity of having less things to track in my head.

I used to think that when I were rich (lmao) I'd have these massive collections of all sorts of nerdy shit, guarded by some intricate security system. I never even got to a fraction of the 1% of stuff I wanted to collect before I went crazy about having all sorts of shit I didnt use but used up space. Then it dawned down on me that the idea of spending money to 'guard' these things was absolutely bonkers.

Now I have less stuff and I'm more happy than I've ever been.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've sold about $1000 worth of games, blu-rays and comic books since I made my posts a few weeks back. Feels damn good.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I like this. I like this a lot. What do your living spaces look like? Does being minimalist regarding what you buy and what you want affect the design of your living spaces and the overall look of your style?

Very curious about this approach to life to be completely honest as I've started to notice what I actually want aside from what I think I want. I think most of it comes down to being unemployed for the past 3 months which is making me really ponder this stuff, but (GOD WILLING) I think I may have landed a decent gig for January. How do you all continue this lifestyle while simultaneously getting the means to feed this insatiable need for something new? That's what I fear may happen when I do get a job...I'll end up falling right back into the cycle I was in before. FOMO, FOMO, FOMO.

Coffee makes me feel transcendent.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
How do you all continue this lifestyle while simultaneously getting the means to feed this insatiable need for something new? That's what I fear may happen when I do get a job...I'll end up falling right back into the cycle I was in before. FOMO, FOMO, FOMO.

Getting past FOMO was a big deal for me personally, and it took a while... The game/thing will still be there down the line.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn. I like this. I like this a lot. What do your living spaces look like? Does being minimalist regarding what you buy and what you want affect the design of your living spaces and the overall look of your style?

Very curious about this approach to life to be completely honest as I've started to notice what I actually want aside from what I think I want. I think most of it comes down to being unemployed for the past 3 months which is making me really ponder this stuff, but (GOD WILLING) I think I may have landed a decent gig for January. How do you all continue this lifestyle while simultaneously getting the means to feed this insatiable need for something new? That's what I fear may happen when I do get a job...I'll end up falling right back into the cycle I was in before. FOMO, FOMO, FOMO.

For me, it was determining what I wanted in the moment and what I wanted for the long haul, so I could understand the difference. And I had a large post somewhat related to FOMO earlier in the thread (it's in the threadmarks).
To boil it down, the main trick is to stop putting yourself in scenarios that facilitate those feelings of FOMO.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

Our living space is fairly open, and my better half has a fairly significant amount of art and pictures on the walls in the house. She has been working on paring down her closet and some collections of things she never uses.

I'm finally back to work now after half a year, and I'm back to working away and living out of my truck. It's reminding me again how little it takes to survive and be fairly content. Every once in a while FOMO does hit me but I drag my heels on "deals" until the sale is over and I don't feel regret about "missing out".

As I get older I realize more and more that when I finally decide something would add value to my life then getting it for the "lowest price of the year" vs a price it regularly goes on sale for is unimportant. I'm convinced that for many with FOMO getting a "deal" is more important than what they're buying. Getting out of that mindset starts a notable improvement on your bank accounts.

Oct 28, 2017

Considering I own nothing extraneous my living space is barren. My living space and style is low maintenance so yeah I guess. I don't really have desire in a normal sense anymore so I am okay with not having that new consumer item.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I really really want to embrace minimalism, but I have so many damn figurines. It's one thing if I can easily toss old media on eBay and at least recoup some cost but there's no damn way I'm just tossing all these toys I've collected my whole life. Maybe I can just... put them in storage til I have kids?
I also have close to 100 houseplants... Who am I kidding I can't go minimal... I mean, where did you all begin? Is there a good book or something?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If your parents had saved toys from their youth for you, do you think you would have cared as a kid?
Well I know that my dad has expressed his regret for not saving his concert T-Shirts from the likes of The Who, Grateful Dead and Led Zep, and I definitely wish I could've inherited those. Toys? Eh, no. But that's like comparing wooden blocks to finely perfected plastic models!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Well I know that my dad has expressed his regret for not saving his concert T-Shirts from the likes of The Who, Grateful Dead and Led Zep, and I definitely wish I could've inherited those. Toys? Eh, no. But that's like comparing wooden blocks to finely perfected plastic models!

If the models are from timeless IPs that will still be relevant to your kids when they're older, then I say keep a few! They're more likely to cherish a couple toys than a warehouse full, so maybe try to limit what you pass on to them? Like if your dad had given you 4 t-shirts, you'd probably think it was awesome, but it he gave you 250 then you'd probably feel like he was just dumping his stuff on you, you know?

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
If the models are from timeless IPs that will still be relevant to your kids when they're older, then I say keep a few! They're more likely to cherish a couple toys than a warehouse full, so maybe try to limit what you pass on to them? Like if your dad had given you 4 t-shirts, you'd probably think it was awesome, but it he gave you 250 then you'd probably feel like he was just dumping his stuff on you, you know?
One thing that has helped me declutter (NOTE: I still have a loooong way to go) is the reducing collections down to "representative" pieces, kind of like what you mention above. Why have 250 of something when 4 will do? Pick the ones that most represent different aspects of a collection, or that bring you the most joy, and pare down the rest. Intentionally not trying to complete collections is liberating. I went through a period where I wanted every AD&D 1st edition module but have abandoned that to just the modules I owned as a kid and have the fondest memories of. I'd never be able to play or read all of them even if I had them but a handful -- sure.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
anybody else backsliding this holiday season?
I've been fortunate to get back to work, which is 72+ hours a week, so I haven't had time for shopping. I've bought some Christmas gifts for my partner but otherwise haven't accumulated anything. This is a tough time of year to not buy into the hype if you pay attention to it. I find it's best to just tune everything out.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
anybody else backsliding this holiday season?
Bought a New 3ds XL for 35€ (really sweet deal for a functional unit), so... yeah. I won't receive it 'till Christmas, so i don't really know if it has any kind of fault, but I'm sure something inside it must be faulty, so I'm planning to repair it and either sell it or keep it, as it is a good companion for my PsVita.

This is a normal and usual thing for me, though: I'm always on the lookout of cheap handheld consoles that need repair, so i can fix them and put them back in the market. I don't gain a lot from it, but repairing stuff is one of my favorite hobbies.

Otherwise... I think this holidays I'll be finally to empty my clothes' closet. That surely will free a lot of space.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Sold another video game CE and finished another book that's been siitting on the bookshelf so that's gone into the donate / sell bag. But... added to the physical game backlog during cyber-week sales. It's how it goes. Just hoping I don't get a lot of useless crap as gifts this year.