• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you prefer your mini map to rotate or to be fixed?

• Rotate

Votes: 416 29.2%
  • Fixed

Votes: 1,009 70.8%

• Total voters

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Rotating makes more sense if it's important to get your bearings with the immediate surroundings and fixed if it's more about the large scale world. That's why I always go with rotating in multiplayer shooters. Open world adventures are on case by case basis.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I think the latter makes sense if it doesn't feature terrain, but at that point it's not so much a minimap as it's a radar.
Yup, I agree.
... what would it use then? Absolutely nothing, like Dark Souls?
Ideally, yes, because minimaps are a clutch. They are used because many AAA games have maps large enough to get lost in but the game doesn't offer enough directions for us to find out way without the minimap... because that takes a LOT of extra work, and it is always much easier to add a magical minimap, immersion be damned. Skyrim's magical compass is better, but not MUCH better.

When developers put the effort to make it possible to navigate the world without minimaps it always pays off.
shadow_of_the_colossus_sword_direction.jpg

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yup, I agree.

Ideally, yes, because minimaps are a clutch. They are used because many AAA games have maps large enough to get lost in but the game doesn't offer enough directions for us to find out way without the minimap... because that takes a LOT of extra work, and it is always much easier to add a magical minimap, immersion be damned. Skyrim's magical compass is better, but not MUCH better.

When developers put the effort to make it possible to navigate the world without minimaps it always pays off.
shadow_of_the_colossus_sword_direction.jpg

I love Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus as much as the next guy, but (pretty much like every single other design decision), no-map isn't a silver bullet that works in every single game or genre. I feel your argument is against open world games as a genre, rather than minimaps as a specific feature, which I do empathize with (with a few exceptions, I generally don't care for open world games either), but that's kind of a different (and rather more subjective) discussion.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
It depends on the game, but usually I go for a rotating map (it must have a compass though).

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I love Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus as much as the next guy, but (pretty much like every single other design decision), no-map isn't a silver bullet that works in every single game or genre. I feel your argument is against open world games as a genre, rather than minimaps as a specific feature, which I do empathize with (with a few exceptions, I generally don't care for open world games either), but that's kind of a different (and rather more subjective) discussion.

Bethesda's open world games don't have a minimap (both the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series). Horizon: Zero Dawn also didn't have a minimap. They do have a compass for orientation though.

I prefer rotating mini-maps. Easy to use the mini-map as a compass this way too.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
For what its worth, I mostly really like open world games! And if a game has minimaps on by default I almost never toggle it off. But yes, I agree that no-map is not a silver bullet that works everywhere.

Still, you've noticed how in games where you are looking at the minimap, following a GPS trail, it takes a LOT longer to memorize the map, right? Even more if the minimap rotates. Its a trade off. Immersion for convenience.

-edit-

Bethesda's open world games don't have a minimap (both the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series). Horizon: Zero Dawn also didn't have a minimap. They do have a compass for orientation though.
Personally I find the magical compass a lot better than a magical mini map. It still isn't a perfect solution, but it is a good compromise for large open worlds filled with hotspots and collectibles.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Easy.

If the Minimap is mainly for navigation (mostly in open world games), I prefer fixed.

If it is mainly about threat assessment (like in an FPS), it should rotate so threats are always shown in relation to the player.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
You guys are monsters!

How can you play fixed...70% damn
Must be an old people thing (jk)

Rotate all the way

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread made me change my warzone mini-map setting from rotate to fixed. I can see it being initially confusing, but maybe long term it makes sense in terms of orientation and communication, hmm.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For what its worth, I mostly really like open world games! And if a game has minimaps on by default I almost never toggle it off. But yes, I agree that no-map is not a silver bullet that works everywhere.

Still, you've noticed how in games where you are looking at the minimap, following a GPS trail, it takes a LOT longer to memorize the map, right? Even more if the minimap rotates. Its a trade off. Immersion for convenience.

-edit-

Personally I find the magical compass a lot better than a magical mini map. It still isn't a perfect solution, but it is a good compromise for large open worlds filled with hotspots and collectibles.

Well, I get lost easily, so in games without a minimap, I just open the large map each ten seconds (instead of each 30 seconds as normal). Horizon is a perfect example. :)

The problem with "memorizing the map" is that, by and large, you don't do that in open world games, since the map is too large, not dense enough in landmarks in most cases, and there's rarely enough reasons to repeatedly revisit any part of it outside the main hubs. I really only get to "memorize" maps in games with smaller ones. Dark Souls is probably the largest map I ever memorized, and only possible due to several combination of factors that don't apply to open world games: besides the aforementioned frequent revisiting of places, I think it's just that much easier to remember paths than it is to remember open land. But, yeah, the lack of any in-game map also forces you to create a mental map, which is why I would call that bold (especially at the time) design decision an unambiguously correct one. For one, the moments of opening a shortcut and realizing "oooh, so this loops back here", and updating your mental map, are the best thing ever. :)

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Mini map rotation is always fixed for me.

Because it helps me stay oriented in what direction I'm going. I always know what north/east/west/south are on the map.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Depends on the game. If there's a separate compass, fixed is a definite, but if the only "compass" is on the map, I might be tempted to change it depending on the game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed, but I need example I think to make sure I've got it figured out.

The map in Apex Legends will fucks with me... and I always lose my bearings. I want a minimap to be like a real map that I'm holding in my hands, and when I'm holding a map in my hands -- which I haven't done in easily 12+ years -- I want this map to stay fucking still, not turn like the wheel of a school bus depending on where I look.

Wait wait I think I'm confused. I like the map in RDR2, I hate the map in Apex Legends. I had thought they were reversed but now figuring it out, I like a map in RDR2 which rotates, I hate the map in Apex which is fixed.

yep I was wrongf I had the two mixed up in my head.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Fixed, but I need example I think to make sure I've got it figured out.

The map in Apex Legends will fucks with me... and I always lose my bearings. I want a minimap to be like a real map that I'm holding in my hands, and when I'm holding a map in my hands -- which I haven't done in easily 12+ years -- I want this map to stay fucking still, not turn like the wheel of a school bus depending on where I look.
I wonder if this comes as a factor of how much GPS exposure a person has had in their youth vs old-school paper maps? Google Maps when navigating moves more instance, so I imagine that a lot of people are comfortable with that for that reason.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It kind of depends, as there are times I've set it to rotate, but usually I want it fixed because of map icons and visibility.

Genshin and the like: Fixed or so help me...
EDF: rotate is fine and actually preferred because it orients me towards the enemy and there aren't any map details or terrain to throw me off.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this comes as a factor of how much GPS exposure a person has had in their youth vs old-school paper maps? Google Maps when navigating moves more instance, so I imagine that a lot of people are comfortable with that for that reason.

That's a good point. As an old person, who used to legit navigate using a road atlas to get places and didn't have car GPS until 2008 or 2009 (my first smart phone, the Droid), I've always loved/been comfortable with maps.

Also FYI I had mine reversed. I like the map in RDR2, which is dynamic, I hate th emap in Apex, which is fixed.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Rotate.

I imagine would be hard playing a competitive FPS fixed. For example, it could a split second try figuring out which window you are looking out and that could cost you.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Rotating is easier if you're trying to beeline content (say... an open world with a thousand mini-markers on it and you're just trying to shortest-distance everything). Rotating is best with those questlines or floating arrows type stuff.

Fixed gives a better sense of place, so if you want players to really learn your map (and not simply move over it checking off collectibles) go with that.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
I like rotating mini-maps, but I mostly use mini-maps as radar rather than actual navigational aids. It does have to have cardinal directions on it though.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
As long as the main map screen is always oriented North (looking at you here, Hitman) then I'm fine with rotating minimap, but I would prefer fixed.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My sentiment seems to line up with most people. In a large open world RPG or a navigation based game I prefer fixed, but if I am going to be blasting a guy, I want that red dot to line up with the barrel of my gun.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
A rotating map doesnt even make sense, i dont remember using a real map, but i guess it would be stupid to keep rotating the map everytime you turn just to keep your goal point in front of you.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Depends on the game for me. In most games, particularly fast-moving titles, I tend to favour rotating. But in Yakuza I need it fixed.

Ă„lg

Banned
May 13, 2018
With a fixed map your movements become inverted if you turn south (or turn at all, really=. I find that confusing personally. The only game I can think of that uses a fixed minimap is Morrowind, and I remember hating it lmao. What are some other examples?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fixed, or else I'll lose track of which direction I'm going. I need the top of the map to always be North.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rotate.

I imagine would be hard playing a competitive FPS fixed. For example, it could a split second try figuring out which window you are looking out and that could cost you.
I think it's the opposite. Mini Maps are really only used to see enemy locations based on a red dot showing their position. Having it fixed and knowing the map layout results in far faster processing of where that enemy is.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Rotate in open world games for sure, don't make sense when my character is going forward but my point in the mini map is going to the opposite direction because its fixed.
If I'm looking at the mini-map, I care about where things are in relation to the direction the character is facing, so rotate that shit.

If I'm looking at the main map, I'm looking at where my character is in relation to everything else, hence the desire for it to be fixed.

Last edited:

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
depends if third or first person game, and also depends if it rotates with the character or with the camera. i usually dont use mini maps though. if i need to get anywhere i check a full map.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Rotate or hidden if possible.

If I can't make people watching me play puke, it's not worth having a minimap.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fixed. I orient better in games since my brain memorizes the X and Y coordinates of everything and its easier to find my way around.

Edit: I think I lied! I have it rotating in Breath of the Wild. So I don't know! It's like asking if I use inverted controls. I don't even know until I try playing and tilt the stick and it turns the wrong way. I think I rotate it in BOTW because of the beacon markers that you can set. Makes it easy to tell.

Edit 2: Disregard that whole first line. I don't think I use fixed. Then again I don't really play many games with maps. I also use rotated in DOOM games. Yeah I think I'm a rotator. I don't know why I thought I used fixed maps.

Last edited:

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
Used to be only fixed but not its always rotating. Found it better since the mini-map actually makes me always adjusts to which direction I'm looking it

Makes it easier for me and makes me give better callouts. In singleplayer it doesn't matter at all.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. In some games it's more valuable to know relative to NSEW at a glance, in some it's really only relevant what is directly in front, left, right, etc.