• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the list:
  1. Minecraft (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo)
  2. Destiny (Bungie/Activision Blizzard)
  3. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
  4. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  5. Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
  6. The Last of Us (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  7. Dead Island (Koch/Deep Silver)
  8. L.A. Noire (Take 2/Rockstar Games)
  9. Dishonored (Bethesda)
  10. Titanfall (EA)

some notes:
  • While Minecraft technically debuted in 2009, the game was only released at retail in 2013 in the UK, so it secured the top spot based on seven years of sales. Thanks to Minecraft and Kinect Sports, Microsoft is the only publisher with two games in the top ten.
  • The Last of Us and L.A. Noire are also particularly noteworthy, since they are the only entries that did not have sequels in the same decade. Both managed to achieve their positions based on the sales of a single game -- albeit with The Last of Us: Remastered included in that title's data.
  • Dead Island is the IP with the second highest number of releases. The highest is, of course, Minecraft, thanks to its various separate console editions, Story Mode and various compilations. Dead Island, meanwhile, was followed by a Game of the Year Edition, Definitive Edition, Slaughter Edition, semi-sequel Riptide and retail starter packs for the later-cancelled MOBA Dead Island Epidemic.

the chart does not take into account new games brands, such as Forza Horizon or Red Dead Redemption (although technically a sequel to Red Dead Revolver, Rockster's decision to retain the Redemption part for the third game establishes it as its own brand). Had these been included, the chart would have looked like this:
  2. Red Dead Redemption (Take 2/Rockstar Games)
  3. Forza Horizon (Microsoft)
  4. Destiny (Bungie/Activision Blizzard)
  5. Skylanders (Activision Blizzard)
  6. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
  7. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  8. Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
  9. The Last of Us (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  10. Dead Island (Koch/Deep Silver)

the list by revenue would be:
  1. Destiny (Bungie/Activision Blizzard)
  2. Minecraft (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo)
  3. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  4. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
  5. The Last of Us (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  6. Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
  7. Titanfall (EA)
  9. Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
  10. Dead Island (Koch/Deep Silver)

including new game brands, the list based on revenue would be:
  1. Red Dead Redemption (Take 2/Rockstar Games)
  3. Minecraft (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo)
  4. Forza Horizon (Microsoft)
  5. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  6. Skylanders (Activision Blizzard)
  7. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
  8. The Last of Us (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  9. Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
  10. Titanfall (EA)

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
TLOU sales based on just one game are truly amazing. I'm really happy to see Forza Horizon doing so well as well, we need more big selling racing games.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I would have assumed Destiny was the biggest new IP, but I guess it probably is just for the generation and not decade.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good times when people were skeptical about Microsoft buying Mojang and the entirety of Minecraft. Hundreds of millions players, multiple spin-offs, tons of merchandising, etc. later, it's shattering just about any record to this day. A behemoth.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems Minecraft is the UK's biggest selling multiplatform new IP of the decade, whilst The Last of Us is the biggest single platform or exclusive new IP of the decade.

Minecraft was the UK's best-selling new IP of the decade

Minecraft is the biggest new games IP of the past ten years, based on UK retail sales.

That's according to GfK Entertainment, which tracks UK retail sales, and factors in the various console versions (published by their respective platform holders), plus the Telltale-developed Story Mode.

The Last of Us and L.A. Noire are also particularly noteworthy, since they are the only entries that did not have sequels in the same decade. Both managed to achieve their positions based on the sales of a single game -- albeit with The Last of Us: Remastered included in that title's data.

More in the article.

Below is the top ten best-selling new games IP by units:
  4. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  9. Dishonored (Bethesda)
  10. Titanfall (EA)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naga replying to your post from the locked thread, minecraft is not considered a single release because of the existence of minecraft story mode. both tlou and la noire are still the same game in all their different versions on different platforms.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So Red Dead Redemption is only behind Minecraft? Holy shit. The power of Rockstar.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Seems Minecraft is the UK's biggest selling multiplatform new IP of the decade, whilst The Last of Us is the biggest single platform or exclusive new IP of the decade.

More in the article.

4. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  9. Dishonored (Bethesda)
  10. Titanfall (EA)

That would be Kinect Sports would it not?
1 game, 1 platForm
Ah no, Rivals was the 2nd game

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

More in the article.

4. Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  9. Dishonored (Bethesda)
  10. Titanfall (EA)

Being a little pedantic here but The Last of Us was released on two consoles. It'd be more accurate to say the best selling new IP with only one entry.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In fairness, unlike ActWan and mazi, I mentioned both Minecraft being the UKs biggest selling multiplatform IP and The Last of Us being the UKs biggest selling single platform/exclusive IP in my thread.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being a little pedantic here but The Last of Us was released on two consoles. It'd be more accurate to say the best selling new IP with only one entry.

GFK are deeming platform as platform holder here, eg PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, not individual consoles themselves.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be Kinect Sports would it not?
1 game, 1 platForm
Ah no, Rivals was the 2nd game
season 2 and rivals, so it's the combined sales of 3 titles.

that's what they mean in the case of both la noire and tlou. la noire was ported to a bunch of platforms this gen as well.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Still surprised that The Division is not on that list. I guess technically it is part of the TC franchise but I remember it being touted as the second biggest selling new IP this gen.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
In fairness, unlike ActWan and mazi, I mentioned both Minecraft being the UKs biggest selling multiplatform IP and The Last of Us being the UKs biggest selling single platform/exclusive IP in my thread.

Your thread was fine for what it's worth. It was just merged with this one because this thread already existed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Dead Island is the surprise for me. We know that TLOU was a sales smash hit, Kinect Sports sold a TON to millions of Kinect owners (there wasn't that many quality games to buy) etc...

But Dead Island coming in at 7 is surprising to me.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Naga replying to your post from the locked thread, minecraft is not considered a single release because of the existence of minecraft story mode. both tlou and la noire are still the same game in all their different versions on different platforms.
Ah yeah, fair enough if they count story mode.
I disagree with the "same game in all their different versions" for any game on this list though.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Minecraft is a monster so well deserved. Can't say I agree with the UK's taste in other games though. Really only liked Dishonored from the rest of the list.