• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
I'm sure this means buy the rest of the episodes you're missing.

Again, the specific wording Telltale used was
"If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June."

It's absolutely possible this was written by someone who doesn't know the specifics of games getting delisted, but the wording is quite precise.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of entire stores shutting down, those reports of delisted non-free games becoming no longer downloadable are usually false and based on miscommunications between the PR and the journalist.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It is probably a valid way of dealing with customers in your proposed way (sadly) but in this case (and still going by the assumption that the games are being pulled for redownload on all those platforms, which might not be the case) that would mean that all those platform-holders are dealing with the (also assumed, lol) unlisting because of a lack of fee payment in the same way, which is fucking over the customers and blaming the publisher. Not something I'd imagine platform-holders would want to do while reaching for an all-digital-customers reality and convincing them they have their back (for the small cost of keeping some files on their servers).

I meant train the consumer, not train the customer service rep. Either way is an easy situation for the customer service rep, but it's better for companies to train and set expectations now for the consumers rather than establish constant payouts as the expected response from a consumer. After all, they trained us to accept DLC and season passes as a normal thing to expect with games now.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I remember Outrun Coast2Coast was desisted on Steam when Sega lost the license, yet If you bought it in time you could (and can) still download it.
I hope that this is no different.....My son and I enjoyed playing those together.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, the specific wording Telltale used was
"If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June."

It's absolutely possible this was written by someone who doesn't know the specifics of games getting delisted, but the wording is quite precise.

I am hoping someone wrote it wrong.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I meant train the consumer, not train the customer service rep. Either way is an easy situation for the customer service rep, but it's better for companies to train and set expectations now for the consumers rather than establish constant payouts as the expected response from a consumer. After all, they trained us to accept DLC and season passes as a normal thing to expect with games now.

Oh I think I got you the first time. I just meant that the platform-holders should just keep the games redownloadable as that would be the first expected reponse from consumers.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I think I got you the first time. I just meant that the platform-holders should just keep the games redownloadable as that would be the first expected reponse from consumers.

It would be ideal but just not realistic for every single game due to licensing, contracts, companies going out of business, etc. I don't think it's fair to pin the store front as being fully responsible and liable in perpetuity for a game after a company goes out of business. That's a lot of liability to have under you and if that happens, think of the bigger picture. Let's say the liability is enough to cause the store front to go out of business. Now instead of customers who bought that title lose out on a single game from their library, you risk everyone who has ever bought anything from that store front to lose all their games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Outside of entire stores shutting down, those reports of delisted non-free games becoming no longer downloadable are usually false and based on miscommunications between the PR and the journalist.

I was about to post that these reports crop up so often (and have turned out to be false every time) that if and when there's actually an instance of it being true (whether or not this is that instance), nobody will believe it; full boy-who-cried-wolf style.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
It would be ideal but just not realistic for every single game due to licensing, contracts, companies going out of business, etc. I don't think it's fair to pin the store front as being fully responsible and liable in perpetuity for a game after a company goes out of business. That's a lot of liability to have under you and if that happens, think of the bigger picture. Let's say the liability is enough to cause the store front to go out of business. Now instead of customers who bought that title lose out on a single game from their library, you risk everyone who has ever bought anything from that store front to lose all their games.

As far as I understand licensing issues should only affect the availability to buy a product, not the ability to access an already bought product. Granted, if you bought GTA Vice City as a digital copy and the publisher patches out some music that isn't licensed for the game anymore you're out of luck. (Similar to the inability to play the day-one version of your digital copy of RDR2 when you've already downloaded a later patch.)

What it means for a game IP when a company goes out of business and no one can "support" the games anymore (some of which were last patched half a decade ago...) is sort of the unknown factor here I feel. Or at least something relating to that combined with the licensed IPs that came from all kinds of media.

I'm really not trying to put the blame on someone. There's just not enough information to even try to do that. I just think if it is a legal possibility for the platform-holders to keep the files up for redownloading and it wouldn't even cost them much (I don't see how it might), then they should do so. In their own interest.
If they don't, even like 6 months from now I would assume that it has to do with legal issues that I'd really love to know more about.

Oct 30, 2017
Delisting is expected, but not being about to redownload it if you own it is fucking bullshit and exactly why the digital future is garbage.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just bought the complete first season on disc and that's fine since it's all on the disc, but season 2 is a season pass on disc and that concerns me.

I have the 2nd season downloaded (last week) from the disc but you can't access the downloaded episodes if you are offline. So if the sever goes down the disc is useless.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I wonder if you can install and play a Telltale game off a disc that has the full season on it while being offline during install and subsequently accessing the episodes after ep. one (the first one was often available for free). That would mean that the game wouldn't perform a server check and full season discs were a viable way to preserve at least some of the Telltale games without illegal measures used on a pc. I believe A Wolf Among Us, Minecraft Season one (and Two on a switch cart) and Tales from The Borderlands for example would be the ones to check, I believe. I have AWAU on disc for the XOne but I don't have a console to check.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So buying digital content/games is still a long rental, as usual. Hopefully someday this kind of shit will get regulated.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
All the reactions on here are surprising. As long as they're in business there's no way you won't be able to redownload this on psn/xbox and steam if you've already bought it after it's delisted. I'm pretty sure it would be the first game in history to do so. I can still download Punisher No mercy the online multiplayer game to my Ps3 that was delisted 8 years ago.
And before anyone says it P.T. was a free demo that was never sold so it doesn't count.

No being able to download it from the telltale store makes complete sense though. If the company no longer exists to pay the server costs

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm guessing this is "you need to have at least downloaded it once so that your account owns it, otherwise you won't be able to access it", as in the past there's been issues with discontinued games with season passes where just owning the season pass doesn't mean you "own" the content as far as the service is concerned.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. This does not bode well.

I do not like the future where companies shutting down means you lose access to your games

Embrace the all digital future where not only can licenses be revoked, your ability to redownload something can be taken away.

Sony and MS will probably keep it up on their servers for now unless they get legally asked to pull it.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know which TT games on disc have an entire season instead of the "Season Pass Disc"? I can't find anything online about it.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
This is why I don't get people who pish-posh the idea of video game preservation as "a front for piracy". There's nothing wrong with wanting to be able to play this game a few years later.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
We really need to get away from fooling ourselves that we "own" this digital content. We own licenses that can be revoked whenever.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all saying you only buy physical - how many games in the past ten years you have bought that you can install and access all content, patches and bugfixes through your disc copy?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
All the reactions on here are surprising. As long as they're in business there's no way you won't be able to redownload this on psn/xbox and steam if you've already bought it after it's delisted. I'm pretty sure it would be the first game in history to do so. I can still download Punisher No mercy the online multiplayer game to my Ps3 that was delisted 8 years ago.
And before anyone says it P.T. was a free demo that was never sold so it doesn't count.

No being able to download it from the telltale store makes complete sense though. If the company no longer exists to pay the server costs
The reactions here aren't surprising because the wording clearly states that you won't be able to download it later, which is unheard of, which is why everyone is freaking out.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine there's some contractual shenanigans. Have the rights been transferred to a liquidation administrator or something?

Hopefully someone can ask Phil Spencer about it next week.

Yeah Im behind on all of this, is the Telltale games being desisted due to someone like Epic buying them?

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Damn I forgot that I had those games through the Humble Telltale Bundle 2017 and never redeemed the keys. Now it seems that they had run out of keys whenever I try to get one :/
Have you tried to get a refund, or some money back? Is that possible since you could've donated the money?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Y'all saying you only buy physical - how many games in the past ten years you have bought that you can install and access all content, patches and bugfixes through your disc copy?

Call of Duty WW2 physical copy can't even be played without a mandatory 12+ GB update. What happens in 10 years if that content is offline ?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I understand licensing issues should only affect the availability to buy a product, not the ability to access an already bought product. Granted, if you bought GTA Vice City as a digital copy and the publisher patches out some music that isn't licensed for the game anymore you're out of luck. (Similar to the inability to play the day-one version of your digital copy of RDR2 when you've already downloaded a later patch.)

License agreements and contractual obligations can mean anything. They're not strictly limited to the state of purchase and will highly be dependent on the agreement signed at the time.

Does it matter? The point is it's better to have a game rather than no game. Plus plenty of games come in the form of GOTY editions which tend to be the complete game, with patches and all DLC on the disc. So they exist.

Oct 25, 2017
Does it matter? The point is it's better to have a game rather than no game. Plus plenty of games come in the form of GOTY editions which tend to be the complete game, with patches and all DLC on the disc. So they exist.
Uh, yes? I am not saying that one thing justifies the other?

"Plenty of games" is extremely subjective. The vast majority of games do not get a full updated/patched physical version. The amount of games with week/month 1 patches is staggering, and in a lot of cases will impact how easily you can actually play a game in the future.

My point is that going physical only is not an answer. The market is primarily digital with how it distributes games now, down to some games having physical copies that are just download codes or half installs. And even though that is not the norm, most games you bought a disc are not the same game you are playing six months later, and nobody is archiving those updates in physical form.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know which TT games on disc have an entire season instead of the "Season Pass Disc"? I can't find anything online about it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the following games have versions with everything on it.

Minecraft Story Mode Complete Adventure Season 1 (PS4, XBO, S)
Minecraft Story Mode Season 2 (S)
The Wolf Among Us (PS4, XBO)
Tales from the Borderlands (PS4, XBO)
Batman Telltale Series Season 1 (S)
Walking Dead Season 1, 400 Days (PS4, XBO)
Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4, XBO)
Walking Dead Collection (Season 1, 400 Days, Season 2, New Frontier, Michonne) (PS4, XBO)
Back to the Future (PS4, XBO)

The following are partial:

Batman Telltale Series Seaosn 1 (PS4, XBO) - First episode only
Batman Telltale Series Season 2 The Enemy Within (PS4, XBO) - First episode only
Game of Thrones (PS4, XBO) - Episodes 1-5 on disc, 6th is download only
Walking Dead New Frontier (PS4, XBO) - First episode only
Walking Dead Final Season (PS4, XBO) - Episodes 1-3 on disc, 4th is download only
Walking Dead Final Season (S) - Episode 1 only on cart
Guardians of the Galaxy (PS4, XBO) - First episode only
Minecraft Story Mode Season 2 (PS4, XBO) - First episode only

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Refunds from who? The company that is no longer in business? If not them, then that has to be the store front, and you honestly expect the store front to be liable for a company going out of business to pay out millions of dollars on their behalf? I think this is the dangerous lesson people should be learning about what a digital future means. You bought into it, now lay in the bed you made.

No. Our solution is to petition our representatives in government to slap down this egregious behavior.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
ITT a lot of people freaking out over what reads like an unnecesarily vague, extremely poorly worded press release.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, yes? I am not saying that one thing justifies the other?

"Plenty of games" is extremely subjective. The vast majority of games do not get a full updated/patched physical version. The amount of games with week/month 1 patches is staggering, and in a lot of cases will impact how easily you can actually play a game in the future.

My point is that going physical only is not an answer. The market is primarily digital with how it distributes games now, down to some games having physical copies that are just download codes or half installs. And even though that is not the norm, most games you bought a disc are not the same game you are playing six months later, and nobody is archiving those updates in physical form.

I'm speaking from a perspective of it doesn't matter because it is still the better option in the end. If the servers are up, great, you get the patches, if they go down, well physical wins out over digital in this case. It's better to have a game in hand than no game at all.

As far as games that get full releases after their initial, of course not every game does. The only point is several do so that is at lease a possibility as a viable option for some cases.

No. Our solution is to petition our representatives in government to slap down this egregious behavior.

The egregious behavior of a company going out of business? How far do you take it too?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It would be absurd if this was the game, of all Telltale's games, that wasn't available for download. It has to be a misunderstanding or at the very least something that will be remedied by Microsoft.

How does one regulate companies that go under? There's no one to pay Telltale's fees or take payments for the game.

It should be on the storefront side, something that is part of the agreement to sell the game in the first place. As long as the storefront is active, they should be forced to host the game that was ever purchasable even if the developer/publisher goes under. It doesn't even need to be necessarily playable say if there are Windows patches that break compatibility but they should still offer the game for download.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It should be on the storefront side, something that is part of the agreement to sell the game in the first place. As long as the storefront is active, they should be forced to host the game that was ever purchasable even if the developer/publisher goes under. It doesn't even need to be necessarily playable say if there are Windows patches that break compatibility but they should still offer the game for download.

And what if they are legally not allowed to?