• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully so. Also from the best open-world game from the last generation. (Best OST too)

But, and maybe this is misinformation, Sakurai considered/liked Rex, and others from X2 more, etc.
If a remaster occurs, Elma would fit so much more into Smash unwritten rules... But, probably a rumor too, I read Monolith wasn't considering a port right now... So X2 is the most recent entry, etc...

The thing I think it needs to happens as I said in the OP is a high-profile Nintendo game starring indisputably a Black character... But still, for the best-case scenario, it would be ready for the next Smash...
Rex was almost added since he was from the most recent Xeno, but Smash was too far into development to add him in the base game so he got a costume. XC2 is represented in Smash with that costume and spirits of basically the entire playable party. I think it might have some songs as well though I'm not sure.

XCX meanwhile only has spirits in Smash, and just a handful as well. I've said this many times, but when Ultimate was being made Xeno wasn't a popular series. Smash gave Shulk a spot which helped, then XC2 blew up which helped even more, and then Torna came out which continued that. Now that XCDE came out, only XCX is missing on Switch and like I've said, leaving that game to die on Wii U is really fuckin' dumb of Nintendo. Most big first party games were ported, they should use the popularity that the franchise is getting at the moment to port that one too. Elma would be the perfect rep for it and a perfect second rep for the XC series.

The part about Monolith not considering a port is pretty old too, I think it's from 2018, but he just said that it would be expensive and this was at a time when XC series didn't have that much attention like it does now, it was certainly building at the time since XC2 had come out and done very well . XCDE just launched, and we have confirmation that they were working on a new game alongside it. So if anything, maybe the protag of the new Xeno game could be a pick, I don't know. Either way, the director of Monolith has confirmed that he gets a lot of requests about XCX so I definitely think it'll get a port and even a sequel.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that people can identify with that and support their head-canon. I just think that pales in comparison to unapologetic, clear-cut representation of dark skin that isn't undermined by the creator's intent and how the character is coded. Especially when it's a fictional character and depiction, and not a real person who might be mixed.
Yeah, fair enough...

Just coming from my experience... I think clear-cut representation of Latinx tends to stereotype a lot... unless done from actual Latinos, it will take time I guess...

But I guess, yeah, that's on me for thinking about Steve as mixed-race mostly :c

OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rex was almost added since he was from the most recent Xeno, but Smash was too far into development to add him in the base game so he got a costume. XC2 is represented in Smash with that costume and spirits of basically the entire playable party. I think it might have some songs as well though I'm not sure.

XCX meanwhile only has spirits in Smash, and just a handful as well. I've said this many times, but when Ultimate was being made Xeno wasn't a popular series. Smash gave Shulk a spot which helped, then XC2 blew up which helped even more, and then Torna came out which continued that. Now that XCDE came out, only XCX is missing on Switch and like I've said, leaving that game to die on Wii U is really fuckin' dumb of Nintendo. Most big first party games were ported, they should use the popularity that the franchise is getting at the moment to port that one too. Elma would be the perfect rep for it and a perfect second rep for the XC series.

The part about Monolith not considering a port is pretty old too, I think it's from 2018, but he just said that it would be expensive and this was at a time when XC series didn't have that much attention like it does now, it was certainly building at the time since XC2 had come out and done very well . XCDE just launched, and we have confirmation that they were working on a new game alongside it. So if anything, maybe the protag of the new Xeno game could be a pick, I don't know. Either way, the director of Monolith has confirmed that he gets a lot of requests about XCX so I definitely think it'll get a port and even a sequel.
♪ Hello? Is this thing on? Am I all alone? We need a Switch port ♪
Sounds amazing. Thanks :D

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anthony Higgs is the only right choice, I can already imagine at least 3 think pieces popping up complaining if Elma got in since she could be considered not really black.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking hate Steve and the Minecraft aesthetic.

That said, he's more likely to be a Mii costume in a similar fashion to Vault Boy.

Last edited:

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
♪ Hello? Is this thing on? Am I all alone? We need a Switch port ♪
Sounds amazing. Thanks :D
I will ride or die for Elma dude, I love all XC games, but X has been my favorite of them so far. Elma is a great character and I think she would be a much better addition than Rex, even if I like the dude too.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Diddy Kong and Dark Samus are also western made characters. King K. Rool as well.

Most people don't really count them because they're ultimately still apart of Nintendo franchises made in Japan. Banjo & Kazooie kinda stick out because they're the first and currently only original western IP represented with a playable character in Smash.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Look at how long it took Nintendo to get over their backwards ass gendering issues when it comes to clothes. The culture there for all things progressive seems absolutely abysmal. I do not want to detract from the positivity surrounding Min Min, but it's pretty apparent they do not give a shit about dark skinned characters in games like smash and it's beyond disappointing at this point.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I really hope we get straight up human looking POCs, Steve with his blocky design shouldn't be the best/only choice. Sad that they've passed on so many excellent choices so far, and worse that there's such a limited pool of possibilities in the first place.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Urbosa does not work on her own but only in the group she is in. It would be like only adding one of the Koopalings instead of all.

This is why I want Breath of the Wild 2 to give a major role to Riju that lets her stand alone as a cool side character

Have her fight in Smash alongside Urbosa's ghost like she's a stand or something

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I dunno. I really do feel like Smash could use better representation, but Minecraft Steve seems like a poor fit for anything other than a Mii costume. Due to X's release timing and the console it came out on, Elma was never really a compelling candidate. TBH I've played a bit of Xenoblade X and if it wasn't for requesting her for Smash, I wouldn't know who Elma was without being reminded. Twintelle would have been awesome, but given that she doesn't even use her arms and Min Min is more popular worldwide, getting Twintelle seemed like a stretch.

Urbosa could fit, I guess, but she also doesn't really stand out much over any other Zelda character. Impa would make more sense. Fire Emblem is possibly the best bet, but the pool of options in Fire Emblem characters is so huge that the chance there is pretty slim too.

I'm struggling to think of many other options. It's an issue with the gaming industry in general.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Now that I think about it, does Nintendo even have a black character that they can use?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Elma doesn't get in I don't even know who would be left that would be a name big enough for Smash. Marina? And if she got in it'd be with Pearl. Maybe Mr. Sandman as Mac's rival but that's a super long shot.

I don't think Steve fits here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They could always make another Pokémon Trainer and use Nessa or Iris

Iris would be great because she could just unleash three psuedo legendary dragons (or something like Bagon, Zweilous, Haxorus).

Dec 23, 2017
I don't want to be negative but Nintendo is going to do what they want. I am black and I personally don't think it will happen. I hate to say give up but if it happens it happens. It won't be because Nintendo and Sakurai was pressure and guilted into it.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Steve would be great for Smash even just for the move set alone. Final Smash could be summoning the Ender Dragon or something.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft steve is not black ir brown in anyway atleast by default, he could have alt colors that are black but hebwouldnt be the 1st in smash as splatoon and animal crossing both have black alts

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Non-descript blocky guy is not what I would call a beacon of representation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly kind of insulted this was even suggested. The thought that Minecraft Steve is the black rep we get is worse than there not being any, imo.
So sorry. For what it's worth, I was thinking more of an "immediate" mixed-race rep; a Latinx rep in my mind.

For a Black rep, Nintendo needs to make a new game, or at the very least port XCX to the Switch... And still 😬, a lot of work to do.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Realistically the only black/brown Nintendo characters I can think of that ever had a shot once upon a time was Impa (as an Echo Fighter) and Elma... and even that's not great given the, uh, "true nature" of Elma.

I guess you could hope for Shantae? Or something? Doesn't seem like there's any real hope for the near future, but maybe by the next Smash they'll have more prominent dark skinned characters in their library.

EDIT: Twintelle might be a contender for the next game now that ARMS is established.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Elma would probably be the only good choice left. Gtfo with "Steve" lol. Even worse than Doomguy. Would rather have 4 other Fire Emblem characters with a sword and Roy's moveset instead of those two.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That bunch of flavorless, characterless giant pixels is not representation, at least not of me. I can't tell you what to do, but I'm going to hold them to a higher standard than that if I'm looking to see myself in these games.

The idea that they might check some boxes in a meaningful sense with a Minecraft avatar is insulting.

Give Minecraft a map and some trophies so we can move on to real proposals for putting some color in the game. Elma remains the best choice in my opinion.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, black gaming icon...Steve from Minecraft.

Who better to represent black culture, pride, and resilience in this difficult time than...

-checks notes-

Steve. From Minecraft.

As an ethnically Scottish person myself I really felt like Smash cared about me when they put Animal Crossing Villager into the game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Yeah, fair enough...

Just coming from my experience... I think clear-cut representation of Latinx tends to stereotype a lot... unless done from actual Latinos, it will take time I guess...

But I guess, yeah, that's on me for thinking about Steve as mixed-race mostly :c
Once Sakurai finally gives in and starts adding anime characters (other than Lucario at least) we can get Monkey D. Luffy as a great non-stereotypical beloved fun protagonist Latino character.

He even said the words "Dragon Ball" in the presentation today, the walls are starting to break down.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Would Rodan work to promote or atleast confirm Bayo 3 still exists?

He's an assist trophy in Ultimate, which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker (they could just disable the AT if he's on the field and they literally just teased the possibility of Spring Man as if it were plausible) but I'd say he's unlikely.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once Sakurai finally gives in and starts adding anime characters (other than Lucario at least) we can get Monkey D. Luffy as a great non-stereotypical beloved fun protagonist Latino character.

He even said the words "Dragon Ball" in the presentation today, the walls are starting to break down.

Lucario is from a video game that has an anime based on it. They're no more an "anime character" than Pikachu. What is this whole post?

Also Luffy being Latin rep is...a stretch. Pun intended. The author making one off handed comment that their character "would totally be Brazilian irl" rang hollow to me, but if he makes latin people happy that is more important