• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry's new video dives deep into ray tracing for Minecraft.

It is a Transformative Game-Changer!

Ray-tracing continues to be the most important graphical feature for me since GPU acceleration and 3D games took off.

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am impressed with the speed Digital Foundry can put out quality content like this.

ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019
It really is a Wow moment, when you see the transformation. Their first video with the pinhole camera effect was just magnificent as well.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love Paula from Nvidia talking about how Minecraft is great to work on because they can build and test stuff within the game without needing artists and stuff to actually create things. I guess it's something I hadn't considered before. The advantages of something like Minecraft as a good thing for testing all of this out. You (or, indeed, Nvidia) have the ability to really easily try anything in any scenario just by building it with the simple in-game tools. You don't need to go to certain parts of certain levels or have an engineer or an artist create you something.

Interesting!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely one of the best showcases for ray-tracing I've seen. Beautiful work by the development team.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
what's with everyone deep diving these days ?
(very interesting, will watch later. I would like a comparison with SEUS PTGI etc. I still think looks better than the official RTX, which can be a bit garish and overdone at times)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
(very interesting, will watch later. I would like a comparison with SEUS PTGI etc. I still think looks better than the official RTX, which can be a bit garish and overdone at times)

definitely runs better than any shader implementation i've seen on MC

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Wow, the denoising stuff (18:39) was interetsing. I had no idea it was actually more costly than the Ray Tracing itself. Nvidia makes pretty explanatory videos for this stuff, I guess I just haven't seen em all.

Slightly off-topic, thanks a bunch DigitalFoundry for the great videos! I really liked Alex's new showcase house, and I'm sure we'll see even more as Minecraft RTX progresses.

I agree that a lot of it is simply beautiful. It looks natural, and it's a new level of experimentation with light that hasn't been this real-time before in almost any way. I'm excited to finally get an RTX card so tha I can mess around and make my own stuff.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing actually being feasible now is definitely a big development for games.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
I mean, it looks lovely and all but the fact that it takes quite a bit of horsepower to run makes it a bit of a niche feature for the masses is it not?

edit - going off some of the videos where the GPU is a 2080ti

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it looks lovely and all but the fact that it takes quite a bit of horsepower to run makes it a bit of a niche feature for the masses is it not?

For full ray tracing solutions yes, but a hybrid implementation is still feasible (say the way Control does it) for more graphically intense games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a summary for those that want it
gonna watch, might do a summary if no one else is up to it
  • "what's the difference between ray tracing and path tracing?" not much, RT is more single solutions to a task (RT shadows, reflections, etc) while PT is everything at once
  • started in March 2019, no one remembers who came up with the idea
  • contrary to popular belief, the simple style doesn't make path tracing easier as Minecraft has a lot of polygons on screen and physically based materials
  • RenderDragon already supported DX12 so adding DXR wasn't too much work
  • it took 2-3 weeks for some simple path traced AO
  • uses DXR1.0, they'll look into 1.1 support, but might not happen (might not need it)
  • irradiance caching is in Minecraft while it's not in Quake 2
  • irradiance caching stores ray data on geometry and accelerates secondary rays for more detail and performance
  • used to get multiple bouncing
  • Metro Exodus stored GI data using spherical harmonics to reconstruct specular data
  • perfect mirrors has 8 bounces, rougher surfaces only do 2 bounces
  • volume fog uses a similar method as rasterized volume fog
  • RT allows them to make colored shadows
  • each transparent surface has a transmission value (rgb) and as the ray passes through, a transmission ray is cast to collect the values of every transparent surface afterwards to determine the color of non-transparent surface the ray might hit (this one was difficult to summarize, so correct me if I'm wrong)
  • water is slightly different in that transmission loss is heightened in order to get that fade to darkness with the depth
  • their method for motion vectors "works", will be getting better
  • denoising costs the most (15% cache updates, 40% ray tracing, 45% denoising)
  • GI is noisy AF
  • denoising is very bandwidth heavy
  • Minecraft uses 3 separate denoisers (shadows, speculars, diffuse)
  • diffuse and shadows move differently than specular/reflection so they have to be handled differently
  • screen space denoising via spherical harmonics
  • more emissive surfaces = easier denoising, because of a larger, cleaner signal
  • explicit lights (torches, rods, lamps) are small, so harder to denoise
  • more rays = less noise, but there are diminishing returns
  • rays have to increase exponentially to have the same jump in denoise quality
  • AI denoising is used a lot in offline rendering, but not yet for realtime, but research is being done
  • performance drop with higher render chunks is a memory issue
  • objects in the distance are shaded at the same level as objects up close (I recall somewhere, probably Beyond3D, that LoD is an issue with ray tracing because of this)
  • primary visibility is done via RT rather than rasterized because laziness, but to rasterize, they'd needed to modify the render engine to output a g-buffer
  • lensing effect is cause by casting those primary rays so changing the primary visibility to rasterizer would lose that effect unless they worked it into the renderer, "they'll see"
  • global illumination data is in the fog volume, but not in the beta build. so emissives will light the fog, hope to update the beta
  • mesh-based caustic are a crazy idea
  • temporal lag is being worked on, is a denoising issue
  • there's a light leaking issue in caves
  • particles are rasterized
  • path tracing is more general than rasterization (rasterizers can be different between genres due to needs)
  • path tracing allows for a lot of unplanned features like lenses and camera obscura
  • in first person, you don't have a body to be rendered. maybe they'll make something for the final release

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Df thanks for insights I could never normally have.

Dennis I appreciate the acknowledgement to gpu acceleration so many these days have no idea what it was like before nvidia came around.

great video and it takes off from the first question glad you had engineers explaining that path tracing difference or nuance.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
For full ray tracing solutions yes, but a hybrid implementation is still feasible (say the way Control does it) for more graphically intense games.

Hybrid solution I see dominating for at least the next decade. I won't say we won't see full ray just the cost for doing it at times may not be worth it for some devs and games in some genres.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I spent a few hours with it tonight (on a 2070 Super; 1440p was the highest I could go and maintain 60fps).

So much fun! Really great way to get back into minecraft. Figuring out how to find and install one of the RTX resource packs was way too obscure, but overall it was a really cool experience.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were asking the right questions too! I personally was hoping you were asking about DXR 1.1 and AI-Denoising and you delivered! You are doing such a good job at the coverage and especially with RT related stuff, I can't stress it enough!

But of course the whole DF team does an incredible job, I'm always excited when a new DF video pops up in my notifications.

Just wanted to tell you this. ^^

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

AA was mega niche and had far worse performance draining on tech of time. RT at best knocked us back down 1080p on best tech but we kept frames and effects. AA limited tech to 768p or even 480p on 4:3 screens and we couldn't max shit out the fps performance was way worse.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've wondered about - not sure if talked about in this video - I haven't seen any RT bouncing specular highlights from one bounce into the lighting data for a primary bounce.

ie I have two shiny non-mirrored surfaces, the lighting on the surface I'm directly viewing doesn't account for the speciality of surfaces that are lighting the surface I'm viewing.

is this just a practical processing choice - ie, diffuse data only is read for secondary+ bounces?

tldr: why don't I see the shiny highlights of surfaces reflected in the shiny surfaces I'm directly viewing?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching I just want to see a path-traced light-based horror game and a spiritual successor to splinter cell chaos theory.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
One of the first things I'll do when I build a new PC in a year or two, is try this out.

Awesome video as always, DF!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've wondered about - not sure if talked about in this video - I haven't seen any RT bouncing specular highlights from one bounce into the lighting data for a primary bounce.

ie I have two shiny non-mirrored surfaces, the lighting on the surface I'm directly viewing doesn't account for the speciality of surfaces that are lighting the surface I'm viewing.

is this just a practical processing choice - ie, diffuse data only is read for secondary+ bounces?

tldr: why don't I see the shiny highlights of surfaces reflected in the shiny surfaces I'm directly viewing?
that probably requires more bounces than might be feasible

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

Was also wondering this. and also how much of a performance cost each light bounce is when multiplying from a single bounce.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was also wondering this. and also how much of a performance cost each light bounce is when multiplying from a single bounce.
it's something I've seen noticed in other games with RT reflections, particularly, Deliver Us the Moon. rougher surfaces incur more of a penalty when using RT reflections than mirror and mirror-like surfaces, so the performance cost is probably too high

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
When looking @2:31 in the video I quoted the RTX version looks washed out compared to the Seus version.
MC RTX has volumetric lighting (fog/air condensation), so air itself is being lit by the sun. So if it is on the screen, it will blend over backgrounds, making them tinged sun coloured.
That is infact, more realistic than SEUS which does not have volumetrics.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
There is going to be no scenario where Seus is more realistic, it does not path trace nearly as much.
In spite of that, i think it is an excellent mod that I have spent dozens of hours in.

Technically you could blow up the tone mapping in post processing for the RTX to destroy the image quality and indirectly destroy the realism. I think that might be the cause of some of the "realism" complaint.

That and the materials and the backend / data bedrock supplies to the renderer of course.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been showing the Minecraft RTX demo to my friends that don't even know what Raytracing is and they are constantly in awe at how much the game changes. Raytracing is gonna do wonders next gen.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing video with lot of information.
Cannot wait so see the improved volumetrics, should look very nice.

Oct 29, 2017
I always felt that the hard shadows in minecraft RTX were too sparse compared to what I thought they should look like. But someone pointed out that the sun in minecraft is really big and that's a big factor in why outdoor scenes have softer lighting or are "too lit" with a lack of shadows making them seem less accurate to life. When I learned that, it all made sense. It's not because RTX is inaccurate but rather because it adheres completely to how realistic lighting would look using minecraft assets as a base. I realize I might be completely wrong but it makes sense to me. Thoughts?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I always felt that the hard shadows in minecraft RTX were too sparse compared to what I thought they should look like. But someone pointed out that the sun in minecraft is really big and that's a big factor in why outdoor scenes have softer lighting or are "too lit" with a lack of shadows making them seem less accurate to life. When I learned that, it all made sense. It's not because RTX is inaccurate but rather because it adheres completely to how realistic lighting would look using minecraft assets as a base. I realize I might be completely wrong but it makes sense to me. Thoughts?
That is indeed how it works - pretty neat!
Massive penumbra on minecraft shadows since the Sun is so huge.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
As an old fart, I can remember when one frame of that would take hours, possibly days, to render. Now it's doing it at 60 frames per second!

Great work as always, DF!

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
just started playing this and it looks amazing. I remember rendering stuff in blender on my radeon 2600xt and it took a while. Now you get this lighting in realtime.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I've been showing the Minecraft RTX demo to my friends that don't even know what Raytracing is and they are constantly in awe at how much the game changes. Raytracing is gonna do wonders next gen.

This happened with my friend who is practically anti-graphics and Quake 2 RTX. I was just playing it while chatting and he kept saying "damn that looks good". And this is a guy who plays text based MUDS and is staunchly anti-graphics whore.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
That said, I think it would be great if the consoles reach current Turing-levels regarding RT performance, but it wouldnt surprise me if its a lot less than that.

Minecraft RT might be interesting showcase/metric for measuring their performance as it's available on every platform. Can it run Crysis Minecraft RT?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Can non rtx cards run this? Mind you Im not saying "run this well". Can I boot it and try it at low fps with a gtx1080?

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the RTX version is clearly more physically accurate but I still prefer the look of the PTGI mod.

The RTX volumetrics in particular are far too pronounced for a clear midday sky.

I'm also interested in seeing comparisons in other weather conditions, like rain and snow, thunderstorms, underwater scenes, mobs, the Nether and End, effects like explosions and fire, lights cast from held objects, etc.

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
@Dictator
Any info about using Tensor Cores in denoising or its all done in Shader Cores? Maybe i missed it, i know that you asked about ML based denoisers, but of course you do not need ML algorithms to use Tensor Cores :)