• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu sales data as of November 17th 2019:

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition which released on May 12th 2017 on the Nintendo Switch eShop in Japan and then had a physical retail release for Nintendo Switch on June 21st 2018 has just reached one million physical sales making it the first retail title published by Xbox Game Studios to become a million seller and is also the first retail million seller from a third party on the Nintendo Switch.

Note that the only Microsoft published Minecraft titles in Japan are on Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS (Digital only) and Nintendo Switch. The Vita, PS3 and PS4 titles were published by SIE before Mojang was acquired by Microsoft.

Below is a table showing the Top 5 selling retail titles published by Xbox Game Studios in Japan:
Screenshot_20191121-0007492.png

Last edited:

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
It's actually a pretty good version. The only big issue I have with it (other than some weird account glitches when resuming from standby) is that you can't connect to 3rd party hosts, only Realms.

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to Microsoft for getting their first million seller in Japan! Can't believe that a western game is the first million seller 3P in Japan. Meanwhile JP 3Ps are still lagging on their support. Where's the other games that can hit a million!!

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
There's some massive irony that the first, and so far only 3rd party million seller for Switch in Japan is from ... Microsoft.

It feels like japanese 3rds dropping the ball, some even dropping it big.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy in thinking Minecraft already did this on Vita in Japan?

I know next to nothing about the Japanese market. So pardon my ignorance if wrong.

It's right there in the OP:
Note that the only Microsoft published Minecraft titles in Japan are on Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS (Digital only) and Nintendo Switch. The Vita, PS3 and PS4 titles were published by SIE before Mojang was acquired by Microsoft.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Am I crazy in thinking Minecraft already did this on Vita in Japan?

I know next to nothing about the Japanese market. So pardon my ignorance if wrong.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, no Microsoft published game ever broke 1m physical in Japan in the past seventeen years?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
There's some massive irony that the first, and so far only 3rd party million seller for Switch in Japan is from ... Microsoft.

It feels like japanese 3rds dropping the ball, some even dropping it big.

It's quite the feat that they ended up setting two records.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great, is there any chance another game reaches this milestone? I guess only a DQXII release

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think anything Minecraft related is not a sign of things to come. Minecraft is an oddity, once in a lifetime thing that cannot be replicated again.
MS rightfully so should concentrate on their home and EU territory more.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The bubbly is flowing in Redmond today!

All joking aside, it is good news for MS.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What makes it more embarrassing is that AFAIK the second best selling 3rd party game is DQ11S at <500k.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
What makes it more embarrassing is that AFAIK the second best selling 3rd party game is DQ11S at <500k.

If anything, that's very similar to PS Vita who's only million seller title but published by SIE was also Minecraft while every other retail title on the Vita couldn't reach 500k sales.

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully this and MS's recent willingness to port over some of their smaller titles (Ori) will convince them to not just do more, but also in particular their Japanese backlog, most specifically Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. MS's got so much potential to make it big in Japan and it ain't going to be through their own hardware. Surely a remaster of Blue Dragon by Arzest on Switch would be easy and make a LOT of money worldwide. Just my two cents.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I unironically want Microsoft to keep doing partnerships with Nintendo as a way to break into the asian market.