• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta eat crow on this one. I didn't think they'd outsource the lighting work to Nvidia of all things, but it makes sense in retrospect.

I hope we still get 4K textures though.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I love them cancelling a more general and accessible graphics update in favor of a lighting system only a select few rich people can actually fucking play.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I mean even before this Minecraft was the #2 most graphically advanced and #1 most computationally demanding game sooo...

This is off topic but I noticed Minecraft is the ONLY Xbox One X game that doesn't make the fan go spinning.

It's completely silent, no other game does that, so I imagined the hardware is half asleep all the time?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between this and the path tracing mod. The latter looked better from what I remember.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looks great. Would be interesting to see a performance comparison to the previously available shader pack that didn't utilise RTX.

Would also be interesting to see if this lands on next-gen consoles with RT support. 👀
On Xbox? Possible.
On Playstation? If they'll ever get the crossplay compatible version, maybe.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there will be options for tweaking, but as is, I prefer the look of SEUS PTGI. The RTX crepuscular rays kinda wash out the image, while modded Minecraft is vibrant as hell.
dgnrQzSR_o.png
C975U3Oe_o.png

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I don't think it looks better than sonic ethers work, and I can play that on a 1660ti with acceptable framerates...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about the new graphics engine is that you can use your own shaders if you want. Right now Bedrock has very limited lighting options for people with beefy computers.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
But if there's no extensive library of mods, then why would I want it?

To me, Java Minecraft will always be the 'real' Minecraft, no matter how much they polish the newer version.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome news. I gave up mods and the Java version long ago and switched to the Win10 version because it just runs so much better. Looks like I'll be buying myself an RTX card in a few months!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just saw this in person - it has so many more effects and plausible behaviour than even Seus PTGI. Amazing Stuff.
I'm sure there will be options for tweaking, but as is, I prefer the look of SEUS PTGI. The RTX crepuscular rays kinda wash out the image, while modded Minecraft is vibrant as hell.
dgnrQzSR_o.png
C975U3Oe_o.png
They are actually path traced volumetrics, it is nuts.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh still the reflections are the most impressive thing. The lighting we have seen games that mimic that for years.

But also it just seems shady all together that very old or simple looking games are used to try to make us go " wow what a difference!!"
Of course it's going to be a huge difference... now do the same with a game like AC oddessy or FFxv .. then we will see how much better it is.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's going to be a huge difference... now do the same with a game like AC oddessy or FFxv .. then we will see how much better it is.
the problem is they have incredibly intricate lighting setups that has to be stripped down and rebuilt form scratch. of course starting with games with more rudimentary lighting set ups will be easier. once next gen consoles are in full force, we should, hopefully, start seeing games built ground up for RT. well, that and Unity getting finalized RT support, and AMD/Intel jumping into the game

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any sort of info on when we can expect this to be released or even a beta? I hate it when they announce shit so early and then cancel it 2 years later (not that I'm saying that will happen here).

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks mighty impressive, but on my non-RT hardware I'm excited for the new renderer combined with the subtle adds you can spot in the video (like what appears to be normal maps or parallax occlusion mapping on the tile textures, even without RT that should be a nice way to pop some more depth into the scene).

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That narrator pretending this shit looks good is hilarious. Omg specular highlights on a square block! lol

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Ehh still the reflections are the most impressive thing. The lighting we have seen games that mimic that for years.

But also it just seems shady all together that very old or simple looking games are used to try to make us go " wow what a difference!!"

Already did that with Metro.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This level of quality for lighting needs to be in every game going forward. It's marvelous. It makes everything feel so much more real.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Will be cool in 3 more years when raytracing cards are actually worth it.