• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Link

Today we're announcing two new ways we're taking advantage of existing and updating hardware. One, we're expanding the scope of Minecraft on bedrock platforms with our new engine, Render Dragon. Second, we're pushing the graphical possibilities of the game by partnering with NVIDIA to bring real-time ray tracing to Minecraft. Prepare your eyes!

NVIDIA RAY TRACING

We couldn't be more excited to take advantage of the new ray tracing technology from NVIDIA. It'll be playable on Windows 10 with devices that are capable of DirectX R, such as with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPU (and we plan to expand it to future platforms that support DirectX R raytracing).

With the capabilities of this tech, you'll be able to experience your Minecraft worlds with realistic lighting, vibrant colors, , realistic water that reflects and refracts naturally, and emissive textures that light up. What does 'emissive' mean? It means you're about to see Minecraft like you've never seen it before!

SCREENS

one.jpeg

ImageFour.png

VIDEO

RENDER DRAGON

You'll see individual Minecraft Bedrock platforms update in the months ahead as we learn the capabilities of our lovely new game engine, Render Dragon. You may have already seen a preview of Render Dragon in action if you watched Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference on-stage when we demoed Minecraft Earth.

It featured edge highlighting and new lighting techniques, which is just the start of the visual and performance upgrades we're planning to make with Render Dragon. Render Dragon supports a range of graphics features, depending on what your device is capable of. Not all devices will support ray tracing, but we will have some graphics enhancements on most devices. Again, it's all about taking advantage of different hardware to offer the smoothest Minecraft experience possible, no matter what device you're playing on!

We'll have more news to share soon, so you can start trying out new ways to play!

Digital Foundry's Hands On at Gamescom

And hitting those limits is easily possible right now, most because Mojang has only been working on Minecraft's official path tracing implementation since April (coincidentally (?) when Sonic Ether's Minecraft mod first appeared), so there's still a long way to go before the RTX support rolls out generally. However, as a taste of how transformative full path tracing is, this is the most impressive demo we've seen - it's a more total, more complete implementation in a game than anything else out there, even more so than the impressive Quake 2 RTX.

All of which is to say that checking out the video above is highly recommended! The DF Gamescom team sat down to talk with the developers in more depth, and we'll be bringing you that interview soon, along the more coverage from the show.

Last edited:

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm certainly less bummed about the super graphics pack being canceled now. Glad to see they said fuck it and just made a new engine entirely. Good on them. Looking forward to it.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Looks great. Would be interesting to see a performance comparison to the previously available shader pack that didn't utilise RTX.

Would also be interesting to see if this lands on next-gen consoles with RT support. 👀

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The RTX looks a bit underwhelming honestly. The big thing that makes those ray-traced Minecraft mods interesting is the global illumination, where red blocks reflect red light into the environment and so on. Not really seeing much of that in these screens.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The RTX looks a bit underwhelming honestly. The big thing that makes those ray-traced Minecraft mods interesting is the global illumination, where red blocks reflect red light into the environment and so on. Not really seeing much of that in these screens.

This is just me talking out of my ass but I assume they did that to not have this be as performance hungry as the other ray-traced minecraft mods because hoooo boy those need some horsepower to run at acceptable frames.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
They mention lighting and emmissives im Addition to reflections, so perhaps it is using GI.
This is just me talking out of my ass but I assume they did that to not have this be as performance hungry as the other ray-traced minecraft mods because hoooo boy those need some horsepower to run at acceptable frames.
There is only one real RT mod for MC and it is so expensive since it is not hw accelerates, this will run much better on cards with hw RT.

AndyBNV

NVIDIA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They mention lighting and emmissives im Addition to reflections, so perhaps it is using GI.

There is only one real RT mod for MC and it is so expensive since it is not hw accelerates, this will run much better on cards with hw RT.

Minecraft is using full path tracing, and virtually everything benefits, as in Quake 2 RTX: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/minecraft-rtx-trailer-screenshots-partnership/ It's quite something to see in action.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Bear in mind, the assets don't show the new (optional) blocks with normal maps, so expect things to look even better by time of release.
Normal maps will definitely help Show bounce lighting so much more than those diffuse low res blocks. Same Thing happened with MC mods as well, you really needed the normals... Quake 2 rtx Shows that.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Is this just for the crappy Windows 10 version or is it also coming to the proper Java version of Minecraft?
The Java version is the "crappy" one actually.

And it is for the cleanly optimized Windows 10 version only (for now, I assume that this will come in a way on next gen consoles).

If this runs on the Java code base I will eat my hat. Java's good at a lot of things, but 3d render performance is not it.

It won't.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom

And it is for the cleanly optimized Windows 10 version only (for now, I assume that this will come in a way on next gen consoles).

It won't.

So can the Windows 10 version use the mods from Java, if it can't then it's crap in my eyes. I'd rather have access to great mods rather than fancy graphics that don't add anything to gameplay.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
So can the Windows 10 version use the mods from Java, if it can't then it's crap in my eyes. I'd rather have access to great mods rather than fancy graphics that don't add anything to gameplay.
I looked it up and it seems that the W10 version supports add-ons, but I'm not very interested in that anyway, the Java runned like crap so I'm glad they did that version (and continuing to best it by making new engines, supporting cross-play etc).

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Glad it comes to the Windows Store version, because that's the one I can actually play with a gamepad.
THIS will make me buy Minecraft, finally.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Personally i vastly prefer the way PTGI looks.
Also, the dramatic lighting and volumetrics don't belong in Minecratf's aesthetics.

But if nextbox launches with a raytracing-happy version of Minecraft on Gamepass i'm there day one.

Other games may look prettier with it, but in Minecraft full path tracing really is a game changer and they could call it Minecraft 2 (and maybe work on those water physics :P) and i would happily buy it again.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Would also be interesting to see if this lands on next-gen consoles with RT support. 👀

If MS are aligned SURELY they'll have ray tracing in the new console, and use Minecraft as one of the showcases for the tech?

I'm "pretty" sure both ms and Sony have announced that their new boxes will have ray tracing?

Edit - also props to digital foundry and Dark1x who had a video on Minecraft and ray tracing several weeks ago!

Maybe we should have read between the lines and realised where Minecraft would go.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow, so they had this awesome tech in the works? A couple of days ago when they announced the cancellation of the pack, Helen (the community manager) posted this:

I'm excited to see engine improvements come to Minecraft, including ray tracing! :D

I'm guessing that the Super Duper Graphics pack was cancelled due to them having to target consoles as well. I wonder what part of the "Super Duper Graphics" pack was the most demanding for the Xbox One, as it was said to feature a multitude of graphical improvements, and they cancelled it due to being unsatisfied with its performance.
It would be interesting to know what the performance was like on the Xbox One and Xbox One X.

What's the Super Duper Graphics Pack? (Minecraft)
We're also a little something extra, which we're humbly naming the Super Duper Graphics Pack. This optional DLC pack is crammed full of excessive visual razzmatazz: light will filter in shimmering rays through cotton clouds, dappling the ground beneath fluttering foliage, and sparkling on the rippling waters. We have dynamic shadows! Directional lighting! Edge highlighting! Probably loads of other kinds of lighting I don't understand! Luckily, heroic art-dude Brad Shuber and tech wizard Cameron Egbert do understand. Watch the vid above for a rundown of all the decadent, dreamy graphics they have personally squeezed into the pack, or gaup at the screens below!

The pack will be released on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and Project Scorpio. Bear in mind, though, that this is just one aesthetic vision for Minecraft - not THE vision for Minecraft. Our beloved pixels are going nowhere - and we're thinking about ways to give you more choice over your game's look in the future.

RENDER DRAGON and Ray Tracing (Minecraft)
RENDER DRAGON
You'll see individual Minecraft Bedrock platforms update in the months ahead as we learn the capabilities of our lovely new game engine, Render Dragon. You may have already seen a preview of Render Dragon in action if you watched Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference on-stage when we demoed Minecraft Earth.

It featured edge highlighting and new lighting techniques, which is just the start of the visual and performance upgrades we're planning to make with Render Dragon. Render Dragon supports a range of graphics features, depending on what your device is capable of. Not all devices will support ray tracing, but we will have some graphics enhancements on most devices. Again, it's all about taking advantage of different hardware to offer the smoothest Minecraft experience possible, no matter what device you're playing on!

We'll have more news to share soon, so you can start trying out new ways to play!

Last edited:

Deleted member 26394

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I looked it up and it seems that the W10 version supports add-ons, but I'm not very interested in that anyway, the Java runned like crap so I'm glad they did that version (and continuing to best it by making new engines, supporting cross-play etc).
Java version runs more than fine as is, even better with optifine which has been able to make regular minecraft looks at least as good for fucking ages... Also, the java version is the only version with a proper VR implementation.
Glad it comes to the Windows Store version, because that's the one I can actually play with a gamepad.
THIS will make me buy Minecraft, finally.
Steam and mods have existed forever...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
With how close Microsoft is with Nvidia atm with their work together on RTX/DXR, im surprised Scarlet didn't use an Nvidia GPU.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It won't.
Funny, I can experience RT on Java Minecraft today, no need to wait months, plus enjoy all the great mods for it. Not sure how that ends up being the "crappy" version.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know on a technical level, but aesthetically I like the fan mods for Java RTX more. Something about the colors here feel off. Maybe it's just the way they've modified the texture pack.

I hope it improves because it shows promise and I vastly prefer playing on Bedrock anyway.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing this compared to SonicEther's work. I suspected NVidia would spend some time on this considering the positive impression PTGI Minecraft made.

Minecraft is using full path tracing, and virtually everything benefits, as in Quake 2 RTX: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/minecraft-rtx-trailer-screenshots-partnership/ It's quite something to see in action.

Very cool. I got the gist from the video. Looking forward to seeing your custom assets for it too.

Does this optimize any for the blocky world of Minecraft? I see you have reflections for mobs, didn't pay attention for fences...

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Funny, I can experience RT on Java Minecraft today, no need to wait months, plus enjoy all the great mods for it. Not sure how that ends up being the "crappy" version.

Well out of the two, if I had to call one "crappy" it's the one I would call it that, since its performance is getting absolutely demolished by the bedrock version (btw I think we'll see how much better the bedrock version will run with RTX On*). Minecraft on Java would eat way more resources that it needed to, and sometimes it would still run like crap when it really shouldn't have.

It has the advantage of having more in-depth mods I can give you that and I hope that we will get that one day on a future non-UWP version too. Also a linux/MacOS bedrock version of the game would be nice.

*But all credits to the modders of the Java version, that has certainly inspired Mojang to do that. Too bad they've been limited to the Java version.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Yeah i can see this running much better on lower end RTX GPUs like RTX 2060 now which is good. The mod raytracing version can barely do 720p 30fps on java edition minecraft on RTX 2060

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this do anything for consoles, if not i dont care (i guess im kind of salty about the super duper graphics pack)

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017