• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
TileFourByTwo.jpeg

Verge coverage
MINECRAFT EARTH GOES A STEP BEYOND POKÉMON GO TO COVER THE WORLD IN BLOCKS
Microsoft's ambitious goal: holograms that persist everywhere
It's early days for Minecraft Earth, and Microsoft doesn't have all of the answers to many questions figured out just yet. Even monetization isn't finalized. "We have a fortunate position that Minecraft in and of itself is doing fine from a financial point of view, which allows us to not have to focus too much on what happens with Minecraft Earth," says Matt Booty, Xbox Game Studios head. "I have total confidence that the team will figure out what the right monetization is for the game."
Microsoft's gaming chief Phil Spencer was the first person to experience the initial prototype last April, and Persson revealed the pair were thrilled to be firing off fireworks in Minecraft Earth during a lunch hour outside in the rain while colleagues walked by oblivious to the future that Microsoft is building. Microsoft now has months of work ahead to get Minecraft Earth ready. Like the millions of people playing Minecraft right now, Microsoft still has a lot of crafting to do to bring holograms into the real world.
Windows Central coverage
Minecraft Earth, Microsoft's new mobile AR game, could be absolutely HUGE
We caught a glimpse at Microsoft's upcoming AR game "Minecraft Earth" and came away stunned.
Official Minecraft Earth site
sec1-create-image.jpg

Minecraft has always been a game about creativity, but Minecraft Earth gives you the chance to express yourself on a whole new scale. Share your masterpieces and delve into others' creations!
sec2-collect-image.jpg

Minecraft Earth features many of the mobs you know and love, along with a bunch of new ones. Over time, you'll get the chance to breed unique variants, and use them to populate your builds.
sec3-collaborate-image.jpg

Meet up with like-minded crafters and create masterpieces together. Work on a smaller scale with friends before taking your builds out into the wild at full size. You can even team up with others for mini-adventures!
sec4-explore-image.jpg

Your real-life neighborhood takes on a whole new dimension thanks to Minecraft Earth. Gather resources, take on challenges, and share your imagination with others. There's a whole new world to discover!

Minecraft Earth FAQ: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/earth/faq
Minecraft Earth Article: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/new-game--minecraft-earth

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I continue to not care about 'AR' if it's relegated to my mobile device. Pokemon Go's popularity had jack shit to do with it's very limited AR features.

If you're talking Hololens or some Google glass type hardware, sure. But people by and large aren't going to be interested into postage-stamp-sized windows of AR held in their hands, is my bet.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fun, and I like what I'm reading about no pay to win, no lootboxes and no timers to wait out. Sounds like it may be like the classic Minecraft where you can buy skins, texture packs and such, but you don't get to buy blocks or stuff like that. Seems like a decent monetization scheme that doesn't fuck over regular players. I don't think this is a game aimed at me but I am curious to try it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so this is basically transitioning minecraft to the real world via AR in a shared world? looks interesting.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Look like you can find some block instead of Pokemon and use them to build thing and everyone can see it ?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued a little, my son will definitely be interested he's a huge Minecraft fan.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It took me a bit in that trailer to understand what was happening - I'm interested... interesting concept. I'm sure my nephews will be all over this and shame me with their creations.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only watched the video but how are they going to keep players from constantly putting curse words and penises on national monuments

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
This is insane if they pull it off.

Can't wait to hear about kids to get into real-life fights over griefing builds in a shared space.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Super lame trailer, outside of the product as a whole (which I have no idea about).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
  • Collect! Minecraft Earth features many of the mobs you know and love, along with a bunch of new ones we can't wait to show you. Over time, you'll get the chance to discover unique variants, and use them to populate your builds. Minecraft pigs parading around your local park? That's about to become your reality.
  • Explore! Your real-life neighbourhood is about to take on a new dimension. Gather resources, take on challenges, and experience a whole new world to discover!
  • Collaborate! Build even better by teaming up with other Minecraft Earth players. You can craft amazing creations together. We can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • Survive! Sure, you're good at fighting hostile mobs in Minecraft, but are you ready to battle Minecraft mobs in real life? Best of luck, because we're going to put your survival skills to the test!
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/earth/faq

Nov 3, 2017
If executed right, this sounds absolutely incredible. Something that can take Pokemon GO's crown as the premier augmented reality game. I've signed up to be a tester and hopefully I get to try it out when the closed beta comes out

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This has potential to be massive. I never got into Pokemon Go, but this looks more interesting to me. Building little creations on my desk could be fun haha.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Cool shit:

Microsoft is using its new Azure Spatial Anchors technology in Minecraft Earth. It uses machine vision algorithms so that real-world objects can be used as anchors for digital content. These holograms, as Microsoft calls them, always stay in the same spot. Apple and Google are also working on ways to let multiple devices see and interact with the same virtual object in AR, but Microsoft is trying to create the infrastructure and tools to let developers use this across iOS and Android. This is the secret sauce of Minecraft Earth, if you will.

"We rely on people going out and, essentially, not scanning the world, but seeing the world for us and then making that common play space," explains Persson. This means that Minecraft Earth players are going to help inform where adventures should be placed. They'll also contribute to making Microsoft's Azure Spatial Anchors technology more powerful, simply by pointing their cameras at the environment around them. There are obviously privacy implications here, and Microsoft says all data and images will be anonymized so that the algorithms are only detecting feature points around you. Without this machine vision, Microsoft wouldn't be able to be so ambitious with Minecraft Earth.

MICROSOFT USED ITS HOLOLENS TECH TO BRING 'MINECRAFT EARTH' TO LIFE
"To do this, we had to take some of the HoloLens algorithms for capturing images on device and turn them into a point cloud that we can share," says Jason Cahill, an engineering architect for Minecraft. This allows Microsoft to locate every player in the game and precisely know where they are standing and where to place an adventure for everyone to interact with. Adventures will start off conservatively, and players will walk up to the rough area that Microsoft has designated a place to play. These will mainly be placed nearby where people are often collecting the tapables, and it will be up to the first few players in that area to decide exactly where an adventure gets placed. Once it's been placed enough times in a safe area, it will persist for new players to simply walk up and start interacting with the adventure.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
This is going to succeed. It's incredibly creative and I'm quite excited to see what people do with this.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I got much out of the trailer besides minecraft blocks AR. Based on the image it looks like people can find blocks and create them at the same time as friends seeing the same sculpture?

That would be really neat if true, but I wonder how they could handle that kind of positioning and persistence across multiple devices in the real world. Hmmm.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I got much out of the trailer besides minecraft blocks AR. Based on the image it looks like people can find blocks and create them at the same time as friends seeing the same sculpture?

That would be really neat if true, but I wonder how they could handle that kind of positioning and persistence across multiple devices in the real world. Hmmm.
They mention how in the Verge article, there are also adventures, think of it like real life mini raids

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I continue to not care about 'AR' if it's relegated to my mobile device. Pokemon Go's popularity had jack shit to do with it's very limited AR features.

If you're talking Hololens or some Google glass type hardware, sure. But people by and large aren't going to be interested into postage-stamp-sized windows of AR held in their hands, is my bet.

Wut?

Nov 3, 2017
To all the people yelling about dicks in the world, you're not funny or original. Initially, user-generated content will not be placed freely in the world.

"There are lots of very real challenges around user-generated content," says Persson. "It's a complicated problem at the scale we're talking about, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tackle it." Microsoft is starting carefully at first without user-generated content being freely placed into the world, and then it plans to figure out how to get this content into Minecraft Earth in the future. "Our vision is that, over time, the collection, the building, the playing, the adventuring will lead to things that people demand they have a place to display," says Persson. "I think we've definitely taken the right steps to get started on that journey. And then we'll see how quickly we can find the right way for more people to see what you're doing." [/QUOTE|

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
When I first came to the OP, I just saw a video thumbnail, so I assumed this was a joke video.

You're telling me this is a REAL THING? Holy crap!

(also concerns about Microsoft's newfound wealth of real world geolocated imagery collected by the game in 3, 2, 1...)