• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I grinded maximum affinity for all heroines in SAO:Hollow Realization. Basically just mashing a button for like 10 hours.

Oct 30, 2017
In Mass Effect: Andromeda there is a particular Krogan that runs a animal-fighting ring but also doubles as a trader. For some reason, he is the only trader in the entire game that you can sell to for the actual purchase price. So, for example, if you have unneeded weapons you want to get rid of, instead of taking it to any other trader for maybe 30% of its purchase value, you take it to this particular Krogan who will pay full purchase price for the item. It was a great way to earn credits in the game since particular crafting materials were highly valuable and could be sold 1:1 with the Krogan.

But, given that it is one hard to find Krogan on one planet and who never moves, having to warp back and forth in a game with incredibly long load times became rather tedious in a 60+ hour game.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Maxed out my Blacksmithing skill in Everquest. That was by far the worst, most pointless grind I've ever done in a game, and I was fighting the UI every step of the way.

More recently: Got the Onyx Sojourner medal in Ingress. This is "hack a portal every day for 360 consecutive days". Sounds simple, right? It turned out being bad enough that I immediately stopped playing after I got it.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finding all Witcher 3 question marks. Waste of time but explains why Geralt can go into pension

The amount of swords and armour I've sold, lol. That smith probably wondered where Geralt keeps unearthing all these things.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Created a hand-to-hand only orc in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Literally spent weeks training him in the mountains so I could kill ogres with just my fists. Hooray.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know a few people gave the sarcastic "I beat a game that I don't care for, hahaha" joke, but mine is legitimately beating Magikarp Jump, the mobile game, though I found it more relaxingly meditative than mind numbing. That game took a long time and a lot of effort, and it's not like there was an amazing reward at the end, but damn if I don't feel kind of proud at having done such a time consuming, pointless, but charming thing.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Forced "side quest" completion to grind up community levels Xenoblade 2 Torna to progress the story and finish the game.

I actually really enjoyed the game overall, but that forced grind made think about quitting more than once.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Maplestory Beta:
Grinding mushrooms outside Henesys
Pig Beach
Party Quest ("selling track for 5k")
Boars outside Perion
Sleepywood Ant Tunnel

And for it all to be deleted to do it again at launch.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Got every single ending in 25th Ward The Silver Case. There's 100 of them.

The only way to get the true ending to the game is to get every single other ending first.
This involves replaying the final (albeit short) chapter each time and selecting a new option from the massive list at the end, each choice being an ending.

This whole process takes tens of hours.
God I don't know why I did it.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Getting the platinum trophy for KH Re: Chain of Memories not once, but twice (PS3 and PS4).
I don't know why I was compelled to do it a second time. I guess I was hyped about KH3 coming out and forgot how awful it was the first time around.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Maxing character supports in Fire Emblem Warriors. I must have replayed Chapter 14 over 100 times and for what?

Nothing, that's what.

"Only Darios can lower the drawbridge!"

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
farming materials in vanilla Destiny, god it was so depressing trying to like that game lol

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Grinding to level up all my familiars in Castlevania Symphony of the Night way just to see how they change physically back then. I also Grind in Circle of the Moon too just so i could beat Dracula. I Grind to level 99 and i realize i didnt even have to grind that high to beat him.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I got almost every skill to 99 in RS2 back when it took laaaaarge amounts of time.

Man, to have endless free time like that again.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i don't usually mind getting all the collectables,i find it sort of relaxing but manually closing all oblivion gates in elder scrolls really started to get dull.

i already had houses stacked with loot in every drawer/chest/cupboard so didn't need anything from it so didn't collect loot just cash,then my save corrupted so i went and did it all again.

i also got the plat on the hobbit game on ps3,the whole thing was dull but i kept forcing myself through it.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dragon's Dogma: farming chests (using the Godsbane) and Daimon in Bitterblack Isle for cursed level 3 armors, then purifying them to get the full Oblivion set with the best rare bonus enhancements.

It was tedious because it took me something like 30-40 hours to complete - and I did it both on PS3 and PC - and it was pointless because I'd already fully beaten the game at that point, I just wanted the best possible gear for my Ranger pawn when she was hired by others.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got all the stars in the arena in resonance of fate. Which basically boiled down to repeating 50 fights 10 times a piece

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked every blade in Xenoblade 2. I stopped enjoying it within like the first 4 hours, proceeded for however long it took.

Not quite as pointless as yours OP, but pretty pointless and just an awful grind.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Spent a long time grinding all my magic skills in Oblivion to 100. I had a lot of free time as a child and absolutely loved that game.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Getting all the Vintage Points in FUEL.
Most of them are pretty easy to get to, but some of them are so fucking awkward and/or hard to get to. On top of driving there.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Built a mythic weapon for FFXI. Started in 2009 finished in 2011.

This was before you could solo salvage or the king fights to get access to the quests.

Also spent the prior 4 years running dynamis to help people get their relic weapons.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My girlfriend is crazy when it comes to this. She won't rest until she discovers every question mark, gets every possible collectible and does every single sidequest.

For example, she got every single feather in AC2.

She got every question mark in The Witcher 3. She also completed every single sidequest.

She is now trying to do the same as above, but in AC Odyssey, which is like TW3 but turned up to 11. I believe she is like 180 hours in as of now.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not as insane as some of these stories, but I spent weeks in Un'Goro crater, collecting flowers for my guild back then...

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I remember collecting like SEVEN HUNDRED comic books in The Amazing Spiderman PS3 game.

After you get like 500 of them, the rest are marked on the map so you can find them. But, the map icons cover the comic book icons, so after figuring this out, I had to check the location of every map icon in case it had a comic book underneath.

It wasn't horrible to do because I liked swinging around in the game.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I dodged lightning 200 times in FFX and completed all question marks in Witcher 3. Oh, and I actually finished Ninety-Nine Nights.
Holy shit someone else played Ninety Nine Nights! Came to post this.

Big things for me:
All titles in Vagrant Story (Fuck the beat the game without saving one. did it, but I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason my PlayStation died.)
Collected every item in Castlevania Symphony of the Night.
Got every final weapon for every warrior in Dynasty Warrios 4 (or 5? can't remember)

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
I have gotten all the Ridler trophies in Arkham Knight... twice. I did enjoy doing it, but can't explain why. I almost never have the urge to 100% games, at least when it comes to collectibles. I did it in Arkham Asylum, but that was nothing really. I didn't bother in City or Origins. It really comes down to getting the full ending, even if it was barely anything extra.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Found all of the feathers in Assassins Creed 2 the hard way, no guide, no FAQ, no help.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Grinding in Coin Heaven in Super Mario Odyssey to get 999 Moons.

Guilty!

Another thing could be finishing the Zodiac Relic weapon questline in FFXIV to get a weapon that's purely used for cosmetic purposes. Grinded that out over the course of two or three weeks I think...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Sleeper Simulant in Destiny 2.

Pretty much instituted a rule that if I do not like an activity, I AT MOST do it once a week for quick progress instead of forcing myself through it.