• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EDIT: For clarity mainly off the fact their Japanese names are basically the same rather than merely visual similarities

First, a visual comparison between the two pairs.

fCFlc95.jpg
ZDi4mww.jpg

"Oh Birdie, you're looking too far into this!"

But, it's a bit more obvious when you ignore their localized names, and look at their original names.

C.J. in Japan is known as Justin. As I saw in an article today, so this isn't my discovery, but it was pointed out this is a really simple and stupid Japanese pun. Bieber and Beaver are written and pronounced basically the same in the Japanese script, so, hey, he's Justin Beaver. Also maybe a joke at Justin being Canadian?

And then I was thinking about Flick, known as "Rex" in Japan. Technically it's "レックス", Rekkusu, and as far as I know there's no official romanization given as to what the name is intended to be when written out in English. Most people assumed Rex, so that's what most sites go with at the moment, and it's possible that the official romanization might end up even being Rex because official romanization can be wonky ("Yoshi" and "Yossy" have both been used in official media for instance), and I thought his name was simply because he kind of looked like a dinosaur I guess?

BUT realizing that C.J. is meant to be Justin Bieber, I realized...his name is probably meant to be Lex. As in, Skrillex.

So, yeah, basically C.J. and Flick are, for some reason, a homage to Justin Bieber and Skrillex, the former two being collaborating artists just like the latter. It's not an exact 1:1 obviously, but I'm personally certain this is the exact intent. I'm not sure if any Japanese fans have realized this, but worth noting I grabbed BOTH images used in this thread from the same Google search of "ジャスティンレックス", their names combined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just to clarify this isn't a joke or troll thread.

I legitimately believe, for whatever reason, Nintendo of Japan when developing the game thought of the entertainment duo of Justin and Skrillex and decided to partially base two new characters on them.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I.....came out of this thread far more convinced than I expected to be going in

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of any other reason he's Rex/Lex other than that...it doesn't seem to be a pun on his species (unless like I said he's kind of dinosaur like?), it doesn't have any relationship to his *probable dad Nat, known as Kameyama-san in Japan (which is just a generic-y Japanese name with the pun being kame = chameleon, though it could reference the mountain chameleon species if you take the yama into account), and I wouldn't think Skrillex on his own without the fact he's related to the Bieber-based character.

The ONLY thing that makes me question my assumption is the Chinese and Korean names seem like they took it to be "Rex" as in a dinosaur his names over there give him a dragon name, but there's no reason to believe those localization teams necessarily knew the intent of the original name and assumed, like most folks, it was simply Rex.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any other reason he's Rex/Lex other than that...it doesn't seem to be a pun on his species (unless like I said he's kind of dinosaur like?), it doesn't have any relationship to his *probable dad Nat, known as Kameyama-san in Japan (which is just a generic-y Japanese name with the pun being kame = chameleon, though it could reference the mountain chameleon species if you take the yama into account), and I wouldn't think Skrillex on his own without the fact he's related to the Bieber-based character.

The ONLY thing that makes me question my assumption is the Chinese and Korean names seem like they took it to be "Rex" as in a dinosaur his names over there give him a dragon name, but there's no reason to believe those localization teams necessarily knew the intent of the original name and assumed, like most folks, it was simply Rex.

Not that I think these details point at anything, but he's a trioceros chameleon and "rex" just means "king".

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually upset this is getting called a drunk thread when no one has really even refuted the, in my opinion, perfectly reasonable explanation I laid out. Is it that bizarre of a cultural reference for the team to sneak in?

Japanese players and speakers, what do Japan fans think? I feel someone over there has to have realized this.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not that I think these details point at anything, but he's a trioceros chameleon and "rex" just means "king".
Well, rex as "king" or "t-rex" neither really seem to fit his character other than, like I said, he kind of looks like a dinosaur with the horns.

As for the mountain chameleon, I'm talking about Nat, who might be of that species, though it's hard to tell as he seems to be basically just a generic green chameleon design.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I hope we get to hear what Animal Crossing dubstep sounds like someday

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually upset this is getting called a drunk thread when no one has really even refuted the, in my opinion, perfectly reasonable explanation I laid out. Is it that bizarre of a cultural reference for the team to sneak in?

Japanese players and speakers, what do Japan fans think? I feel someone over there has to have realized this.
I'm with you op. I actually think this is pretty good detective work and I don't get why you are being dunked on so hard.

The Skrillex reference is a little tenuous but I can see it tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that visual comparison is really something. If my calculations are correct there are... zero similarities. Amazing.

edit: i was too hasty. there are two individuals in each picture. i'm so sorry for doubting you OP

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I think there's obviously a lot of differences look wise---obviously legal wouldn't allow a more obvious parody---but I think the two pairs have the same basic dynamic.

Loud, personable entertainer alongside more subdued, artist? Obviously there's personality differences as well but I think C.J. and Flick capture the "persona" one might expect from Justin Bieber and Skrillex.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if this ain't the case for Flick, I now know about Justin the Beaver and that is a net positive so I thank you.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Y'all are rude for real.

The Justin Beaver thing is 100% intentional. Srillex/Rex could go either way but it's plausible enough that the OP doesn't deserve hate.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
yeah there's no doubt on the Justin Beaver front. that's real

the Skrillex connection is much harder to call