• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What does that mean

Do you think brown and black people don't exist in japan or what?
No I mean she's been traditionally bend depicted as standard hylian like Link and Zelda and just because she had one different depiction doesn't mean that'd be the basis. That and a proposed smash clone would be off of Shiek which means she'd be the N64 version rather than the magic based SS version.

Sorry didn't mean to offend but it's just that's a stretch as a pick. Anthony from Other M would be a legit pick tho

Oct 25, 2017
Still a Japanese tan
images

It's in the same skin range as all the others

What evidence suggests that she is tanned? She's not even the same race as the other characters in Skyward Sword.

No I mean she's been traditionally bend depicted as standard hylian like Link and Zelda and just because she had one different depiction doesn't mean that'd be the basis. That and a proposed smash clone would be off of Shiek which means she'd be the N64 version rather than the magic based SS version.

Sorry didn't mean to offend but it's just that's a stretch as a pick. Anthony from Other M would be a legit pick tho

She's not Hylian, and her first game appearance ever depicts her as not Hylian.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Would you call this white in the same way you would call Link and Zelda white?

OoT_Impa_Artwork.png

You're just being pedantic at this point. Literally all I said is she is brown. I said nothing about her ethnicity.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something that I'm not sure is coming across, and it's something I'd like to touch on. When people say they are disappointed with this pick, or with the lack of representation, it's because the type of representation that was completely missing from Smash was dark skinned characters. Black and Brown characters. Why is that? Because there appears to be a hatred for and rejection of dark skin, and it isn't just an issue with Smash. It's a world wide problem. Like I said earlier, the only character who sort of counts is Ganondorf, but many do not consider him enough or really an example of representation for a few reasons. As for Black characters, there isn't a single representative at all. And yes, Black people are also made up of different ethnicities and nationalities too. We are also not all the same. But the fact that we are happy to settle with anyone vaguely Black says a lot about how poor our representation is.

Is Min Min a person of colour and Chinese? Yes, absolutely. And it's wonderful that many people feel represented by her, and welcome her inclusion. But it's important to also understand why many Black people do not feel comfortable with the term "POC", or even "BIPOC". This is because even if all people of colour suffer under white supremacy, we do not suffer in the same ways, or to the same extent. We are not marginalised in the exact same manner. When it comes to racism, Black skin is degraded the most. And yet these terms (POC / BIPOC) are sometimes used to dismiss Black perspectives, or to placate us when our specific needs aren't met in favour of others. It's important to express this disappointment without dismissing others, or equating Asian characters with White ones, of course. But please understand where this disappointment is coming from, and why it isn't necessarily going to be alleviated with Min Min as an inclusion.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you call this white in the same way you would call Link and Zelda white?

OoT_Impa_Artwork.png

You're just being pedantic at this point. Literally all I said is she is brown. I said nothing about her ethnicity.

I mean, yeah, she's pretty obviously distinct from Link and Zelda. Different ethnicity in the games combined with having darker skin in all but, I think, two Zelda games (the Oracles), makes the notion that she's just a tanned Hylian pretty silly.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
As an Asian American I want to encourage our community to keep in mind the hurt that a lot of Asian diaspora feel when we are equated to whiteness, or when stereotypes about our appearances cause others to have preconceptions about how we "should" look like. Let's try to not be dismissive towards the fact that Asians are not a monolith and still experience marginalization in the face of white supremacy.

At the same time, we should all keep in mind that colorism is a worldwide issue, and that black and brown skin has, under the framework of racial hegemony, become particularly vilified, disdained, and disregarded, including in Japan. Understanding that Asians are people of color is not grounds to trample over black voices expressing disappointment at the lack of representation in Smash. As a person of Chinese descent, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see people trying to silence valid complaints by weaponizing the Chinese identity. We need to be better than that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Dude wtf did this thread turn into?
I thought we'd be talking bout the 2 attacks at once potentials here.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Wanting more Black representation is totally understandable, Smash absolutely needs it. But using it to shit on other representation (especially in 2020 when racist attacks on Asian people has increased due to Covid conspiracies ) is pretty disgusting.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I don't hate any of the Arms character designs so I was cool with whoever got in, but I won't pretend I'm not a little sad we still don't have a black character in. Maybe next time.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Damn, that was an awesome reveal trailer. Was hoping it'd be Min Min so I'm pretty pleased.
I haven't actually touched Smash in ages but I'll definitely be firing it up again to play around with her when she's released.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
While I was rooting for Springman or Ribbon girl, Min Min was my third favorite with lolapop but from a design and gameplay perspective Min Min is the number one choice and I am happy she's in.

Arms aesthetic and designs look so good in smash and the music is chef kiss.

I just hope she isn't bottom tier in 1 v 1 bcs wanted to use her as a secondary with my Zelda main.

on the other hand, WHERES THAT UPDATED ZELDA AMIIBO SAKURAI????

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The staff post was more about people saying she isn't Chinese or a minority, as it isn't for non-Chinese people to say she doesn't represent them. I think even if we're rightly disappointed, we can't speak for other minorities on whether they feel represented by her or not.

I like Min Min as a character (I'd say she's my second favourite), but I'm disappointed by this pick for the same reasons you are. It's fine to talk about that. There is a serious issue with colourism and racism in Smash when it comes to dark skinned characters, with the complete lack of black characters, and the only potential brown character being Ganondorf who is not only evil personified, but isn't even human-looking in most Zelda games in his Ganon form. I understand why others are happy with Min Min as the pick, and she definitely does serve a form of representation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a glaring issue in Smash, and Nintendo games in general. These are all things we can discuss in this thread. The staff post wasn't meant to group "PoC" together as much as address several issues. Anyway, I feel your sadness and disappointment. As a black woman I was particularly excited, and am a fan of Twintelle.
I see, will try to keep that in mind.

You don't think that a Chinese person would be hyped for the single most prominent and popular Chinese fighting game character, a woman no less, to get into Smash?
Do I think people would be hyped for her?
Hell yeah, regardless of nationality. I can't possible know how the Chinese community view her though but she seems like a hype pick none the less.

Have I EVER seen someone ask for her to be in because "smash needs more Chinese representation/ characters"?
No, I don't think so.

Have I seen people ask for her because Smash needs more females and she's the most prominent fighting game female?
Yeah, it's like a major thing.

That's what I said.

What are you even trying to argue here?
Think I made it pretty clear.
Not sure if you want me to sum up the flow of this thread for you. I'd ask you to go back and read more post here.

There's a lot to be disappointed about regarding the lack of black/brown-skinned representation in Smash, Nintendo games, and video games as a whole , but that frustration shouldn't translate into questioning the necessity of inclusion of a different ethnic group that thus far had not been represented in a playable capacity in Smash.
Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything about her being "unnecessary".

I have said that there's no comparing the 2 characters as a reply to the "but she's a PoC too!" vibe that was going round this thread.
Like I said, if people identify with her then that's great ... it's not some shared victory for "PoC" fans like some were playing at to get people to stop voicing their disappointment.

I get that you and others are frustrated that you got denied a great shot at it, but "Who the fuck would want this Chinese character because she's Chinese?" is a...weird question.
Gonna quote where I said that or you like making up things?
I've been round the block with smash and I've never seen many people use her nationality as a reason to appear in smash for representation. I have seen her gender be a major driving force though much like with Chun Li.
So it comes across as disingenuous to try to use her nationality to pacify Twin fans when it never seemed like a major driving force for people's desires for her. Comes across as people just trying to make others not be disappointed with this character they like.

That's not saying you can't want a Chinese character in this game for rep of that group ... no clue wtf you get that from.
For all I know tons of fans secretly wonted her in for rep for Chinese people but I don't remember that ever being a big reason to "support her getting in".

(Prob cause most western fans who aren't Asian see her as "another Asian" in a game where most humans are white or Asian and as such would focus on her bringing another female to the game as the focus for their support. Not saying that's right, just that it would explain why I've not seen her ethnicity used for reasons to support her like I have for ... legit any brown character )
Perhaps it's best we don't keep talking about all the shitty takes earlier in this thread that lead to it getting locked if you don't want to read them? I don't mind.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I see, will try to keep that in mind.

Do I think people would be hyped for her?
Hell yeah, regardless of nationality. I can't possible know how the Chinese community view her though but she seems like a hype pick none the less.

Have I EVER seen someone ask for her to be in because "smash needs more Chinese representation/ characters"?
No, I don't think so.

Have I seen people ask for her because Smash needs more females and she's the most prominent fighting game female?
Yeah, it's like a major thing.

That's what I said.

Think I made it pretty clear.
Not sure if you want me to sum up the flow of this thread for you. I'd ask you to go back and read more post here.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything about her being "unnecessary".

I have said that there's no comparing the 2 characters as a reply to the "but she's a PoC too!" vibe that was going round this thread.
Like I said, if people identify with her then that's great ... it's not some shared victory for "PoC" fans like some were playing at to get people to stop voicing their disappointment.

Gonna quote where I said that or you like making up things?
I've been round the block with smash and I've never seen many people use her nationality as a reason to appear in smash for representation. I have seen her gender be a major driving force though much like with Chun Li.
So it comes across as disingenuous to try to use her nationality to pacify Twin fans when it never seemed like a major driving force for people's desires for her. Comes across as people just trying to make others not be disappointed with this character they like.

That's not saying you can't want a Chinese character in this game for rep of that group ... no clue wtf you get that from.
For all I know tons of fans secretly wonted her in for rep for Chinese people but I don't remember that ever being a big reason to "support her getting in".

(Prob cause most western fans who aren't Asian see her as "another Asian" in a game where most humans are white or Asian and as such would focus on her bringing another female to the game as the focus for their support. Not saying that's right, just that it would explain why I've not seen her ethnicity used for reasons to support her like I have for ... legit any brown character )
Perhaps it's best we don't keep talking about all the shitty takes earlier in this thread that lead to it getting locked if you don't want to read them? I don't mind.
I'm going to take the L on this one, because going back and reading your comment I quoted and replied to, I misread it. Initially, I read it as "I don't care and I don't know why others would," which is wrong and I'm sorry for jumping on you like that. That's my fault.

This has been a very...tension-filled thread, I think.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I honestly thought/hoped this would be another multi-character deal like Hero or bowser junior. But if it had to be just one character I wanted either Min-min or Twintelle. I can forgive it since it looks like they went all-in with minmin's kicks. I think her moveset is literally more kicks than punches.

Anyway I predict she'll be another zoner character who scrubs get stomped by online and cry about but will never actually make top 8 at a major. That throw's a massive handicap and I don't think good players will have any real problems swoocing right past her zoning.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'm going to take the L on this one, because going back and reading your comment I quoted and replied to, I misread it. Initially, I read it as "I don't care and I don't know why others would," which is wrong and I'm sorry for jumping on you like that. That's my fault.

This has been a very...tension-filled thread, I think.

Np, it's a sensitive situation going on here.
I'm guessing in a day or two it will be at least a bit less tense. I don't expect the topic to go away anytime soon though so I'm trying not to run from it.

doraemoe

Banned
May 8, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive and Inflammatory Commentary Around Concerns of Representation; Account in Junior Phase
I came here for fun, but this thread is getting painful to look at :(
I do feel like before politely asking outsiders to help, Americans should first try to fix their own problem. Considering the disaster now happening in America is totally Americans' fault and not related to Japanese or Chinese.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What evidence suggests that she is tanned? She's not even the same race as the other characters in Skyward Sword.

She's not Hylian, and her first game appearance ever depicts her as not Hylian.
Going off of Breath of the Wild, Sheikah are coded as Japanese, though it's worth noting that artwork for Sheik in Ocarina depicted her with darker skin than Zelda.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing to add other than the fact that this min-min character is cute. And she has nice calf muscles.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that they have to call Ryō Horikawa just to do noodle slurping.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is impressive with how he integrates the home game series mechanics in all these fighters. The best so far have been Min min, Terry and Hero. His attention to detail is awe inspiring

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
In this shot, we see the blue swirls around the dragon laser but it's coming from her noodle arm (right). Is this because it's an in-development screen and it's changed since? The video clearly shows the blue swirls only occurring on the laser from the left arm in its dragon form.

EbIHfJ4UMAA7JPM

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Min Min is The One and I'm glad to see her.

More importantly, it's a bad day for "but the rules" on character speculation. Someone add no spirits and main characters only to the chalkboard of made up fake fan rules that Sakurai doesn't care about.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In this shot, we see the blue swirls around the dragon laser but it's coming from her noodle arm (right). Is this because it's an in-development screen and it's changed since? The video clearly shows the blue swirls only occurring on the laser from the left arm in its dragon form.

EbIHfJ4UMAA7JPM

Probably it's at its final discharged state. The dragon arm seems to only have limited number of use before it reverts back to normal.