• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Not more popular than Pearl I'm pretty sure, so we'd still be fucked unless they give us both of them as a duo, which would still be underwhelming tbh
She's not more popular in Japan, but globally speaking Marina is way more popular than Pearl is, and is probably the most popular that any of the Splatoon idols have ever been

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're reading it fairly different ways.
I read it more so as using the "PoC" label to placate/ pacify the discourse here.

To me Twin and Min rep are in no way comparable so talking about it shouldn't require a pet-pet on Nintendo's head to say "good job including a different group of Asian people! (Oh, you almost went for another Japanese man you slick lil scamp Sakurai! You sneaky fucker!)".

If there are people who feel represented with Min then that's great.
But as they're checking off sub boxes with in "Asian" brown people just lost the one shot they had with in reason.
(I also never really saw this desire for a "Chinese rep" blossom all that much before today. The fact that she was a female more popular than the "mascot" always took front and center stage in talks, people seemed to just run with "PoC" label cause they don't like the backlash.
I mean ... fuck, does anyone want Chun-Li because of the representation she would bring to Chinese people through her nationality or because she's the queen of fighting games and we want more females in smash? Her being Chinese never factored into my desire for her and I don't remember that being a big deal for most but clearly I don't speak for everyone so I could be wrong af)

In no way do I see it as "progress"/ anything close to a shared win for people wanting Twin ... yet a lot of people want to push it and spin it as some kinda together victory.
The staff post was more about people saying she isn't Chinese or a minority, as it isn't for non-Chinese people to say she doesn't represent them. I think even if we're rightly disappointed, we can't speak for other minorities on whether they feel represented by her or not.

I like Min Min as a character (I'd say she's my second favourite), but I'm disappointed by this pick for the same reasons you are. It's fine to talk about that. There is a serious issue with colourism and racism in Smash when it comes to dark skinned characters, with the complete lack of black characters, and the only potential brown character being Ganondorf who is not only evil personified, but isn't even human-looking in most Zelda games in his Ganon form. I understand why others are happy with Min Min as the pick, and she definitely does serve a form of representation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a glaring issue in Smash, and Nintendo games in general. These are all things we can discuss in this thread. The staff post wasn't meant to group "PoC" together as much as address several issues. Anyway, I feel your sadness and disappointment. As a black woman I was particularly excited, and am a fan of Twintelle.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
As fun as Min Min looks, Twintelle would have been such a slam dunk in so many ways. A black French movie star who drinks tea after beating her opponents? And she's telekinetic? Man. Would have been good rep, and she just also happens to be the best personality in ARMS

Oct 25, 2017
Not my first pick, but seeing a woman added to Smash makes me smile ear to ear. First time I've been happy for the DLC.

separating Pearl and Marina is violence

you might as well chop Sonic's legs off

I always envisioned them as getting in, accompanying Octoling, as Echo Fighters of Inkling and Octoling.

The staff post was more about people saying she isn't Chinese or a minority, as it isn't for non-Chinese people to say she doesn't represent them. I think even if we're rightly disappointed, we can't speak for other minorities on whether they feel represented by her or not.

I like Min Min as a character (I'd say she's my second favourite), but I'm disappointed by this pick for the same reasons you are. It's fine to talk about that. There is a serious issue with colourism and racism in Smash when it comes to dark skinned characters, with the complete lack of black characters, and the only potential brown character being Ganondorf who is not only evil personified, but isn't even human-looking in most Zelda games in his Ganon form. I understand why others are happy with Min Min as the pick, and she definitely does serve a form of representation, but that doesn't mean there isn't a glaring issue in Smash, and Nintendo games in general. These are all things we can discuss in this thread. The staff post wasn't meant to group "PoC" together as much as address several issues. Anyway, I feel your sadness and disappointment. As a black woman I was particularly excited, and am a fan of Twintelle.

I certainly agree. The relative lack of dark-skinned characters is, in part, an issue of the industry itself, but it's certainly not something Smash can throw up its hands about and say "not my problem." There are absolutely dark-skinned characters to choose from, like Twintelle, Marina, Octoling, Elma, etc. Hell, I'd take Anthony Higgs. They could even do a curveball and throw in Bea from Pokémon as a playable character, give us the first human fighter from that series.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
At the end of the reveal trailer, when Captain Falcon became the staff employee while Min Min was eating ramen, I noticed something interesting:

• The fact Captain Falcon looked at Kirby thinking Kirby ate Min Min.
  • The fact Captain Falcon had to take over Min Min's shift while she went out to get the Smash Bros. invitation.
  • The fact Captain Falcon owns a restaurant before, and had worked as a waiter (in the F-Zero anime).
  • The fact Captain Falcon looks happy seeing Min Min eat the ramen while dressed up as a staff employee, alluding to the previous fact.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
What? No way Marina or Pearl are more popular than Callie or Marie.
I mean granted I don't know for sure, but Marina's definitely the most popular of the current crew, and the game she headlines has sold more than twice as much as Callie and Marie's

Again: I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet she's the most popular any of the idols have ever been! And she's definitely more popular than Pearl globally, which was the original question (and has actually been address in-game more than once)

But I don't think she's ever getting in Smash, for a slew of reasons (of which racism is a big one)

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
As fun as Min Min looks, Twintelle would have been such a slam dunk in so many ways. A black French movie star who drinks tea after beating her opponents? And she's telekinetic? Man. Would have been good rep, and she just also happens to be the best personality in ARMS
Thats one thing I liked about Twintelle more than any other character, her personality was able to shine through her entire character; how she behaves in battle, her victory pose. Like with Min Min you needed the art and even this trailer to see the cuter side of her, in battle she might as well be like a martial art Link or Mario personality wise.

Everyone else in ARMs is pretty close to generic behavior wise from what I remember. Like Helix is the only other amusing one with his random freak out run and quiet screamish victory. Not sure about Dr Coyle since I was long done with the game by the time she dropped and it seems Smash isnt even acknowledging DLC characters from ARMs.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean ... fuck, does anyone want Chun-Li because of the representation she would bring to Chinese people through her nationality or because she's the queen of fighting games and we want more females in smash? Her being Chinese never factored into my desire for her and I don't remember that being a big deal for most but clearly I don't speak for everyone so I could be wrong af)
You don't think that a Chinese person would be hyped for the single most prominent and popular Chinese fighting game character, a woman no less, to get into Smash?

What are you even trying to argue here?

There's a lot to be disappointed about regarding the lack of black/brown-skinned representation in Smash, Nintendo games, and video games as a whole , but that frustration shouldn't translate into questioning the necessity of inclusion of a different ethnic group that thus far had not been represented in a playable capacity in Smash. I get that you and others are frustrated that you got denied a great shot at it, but "Who the fuck would want this Chinese character because she's Chinese?" is a...weird question.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Thats one thing I liked about Twintelle more than any other character, her personality was able to shine through her entire character; how she behaves in battle, her victory pose. Everyone else is pretty close to generic behavior wise from what I remember. Like Helix is the only other amusing one with his random freak out run and quiet screamish victory. Not sure about Dr Coyle since I was long done with the game by the time she dropped and it seems Smash isnt even acknowledging DLC characters from ARMs.
Min Min was probably second-placed, given the way she'd use wins to cut a promo for her family restaurant

But yeah, nothing compared to Twintelle sitting on an invisible chair, sipping from a teacup, and saying "C'est bon" to her audience

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I mean granted I don't know for sure, but Marina's definitely the most popular of the current crew, and the game she headlines has sold more than twice as much as Callie and Marie's

Again: I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet she's the most popular any of the idols have ever been! And she's definitely more popular than Pearl globally, which was the original question (and has actually been address in-game more than once)

But I don't think she's ever getting in Smash, for a slew of reasons (of which racism is a big one)

Marina >>>> Pearl I agree. The rest I do not agree, but I respect it.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't like that is a 3D fighter, I found it very frustrating when playing people who knew what they were doing as it was hard to tell why something missed or hit. I think there's a reason fighters aren't over the shoulder.
Gundam VS is one of the most played fighters in all of Asia if not THE most played and that's a 3D fighter.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
One thing that I think hurt Twintelle's chances were that she doesn't actually use her arms. If you're going to use a character from ARMS, you're probably going to consider one that more directly represents the theme of the game.

This may not even be the case at all. Just considering all possible factor.

I say all this as someone who wanted Twintelle, but I'm still super pumped for Min Min.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that I think hurt Twintelle's chances were that she doesn't actually use her arms. If you're going to use a character from ARMS, you're probably going to consider one that more directly represents the theme of the game.

This may not even be the case at all. Just considering all possible factor.

I say all this as someone who wanted Twintelle, but I'm still super pumped for Min Min.

There is always an excuse to not have a black character. Naturally we just have to look hard enough for it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the reveal trailer, when Captain Falcon became the staff employee while Min Min was eating ramen, I noticed something interesting:

• The fact Captain Falcon looked at Kirby thinking Kirby ate Min Min.
  • The fact Captain Falcon had to take over Min Min's shift while she went out to get the Smash Bros. invitation.
  • The fact Captain Falcon owns a restaurant before, and had worked as a waiter (in the F-Zero anime).
  • The fact Captain Falcon looks happy seeing Min Min eat the ramen while dressed up as a staff employee, alluding to the previous fact.
This trailer was secretly deepest F-zero lore

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Elma comes with the baggage of
her "true form" being... well...

latest

at least that wouldn't be in Smash at all since it seems they avoid any of the super late game stuff with the Xenoblade series in Smash.

Shulk doesn't have a single reference to any of the Monados past the first one and there's no spirit of any late game characters like Zanza or Meyneth. Fiora seems to be the exception for some reason and her Mechon form does appear like midgame.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah but the devs prefer minmin so ultimately, it's up to them

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
It's really tough as a person of Chinese background to step into these forums when many posters' idea of diversity and racism issues are so... black and white.

As a Latino, I feel you. Nintendo rightfully deserves to be called out for their absolutely pathetic lack of black characters, but it sucks that some people are shitting on another minority character getting into Smash. It undermines the conversation if we start arguing about which minorities deserve representation more and attacking characters from other underrepresented groups when they get their chance. Any minority representation is a good thing.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i do think Nintendo should consider more characters at once if one is not enough to cover all the bases. having a few more Echo fighters wouldn't hurt anyone.

(i shudder to think how people would have reacted if they chose Spring Man, Ninjara or Ribbon Girl)

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
at least that wouldn't be in Smash at all since it seems they avoid any of the super late game stuff with the Xenoblade series in Smash.

Shulk doesn't have a single reference to any of the Monados past the first one and there's no spirit of any late game characters like Zanza or Meyneth. Fiora seems to be the exception for some reason and her Mechon form does appear like midgame.
Yeah, they avoid the Xenoblade spoilers. Oh, except you know that one massive spoiler you just mentioned, which he pretty much went out of his way to spoil. Oh, and also the true identity of
Metal Face

He also spoiled giant twists in Mother 3, Ocarina of Time, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance... Sakurai doesn't give a shit about spoilers.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Didn't Yabuki say Twintelle was designed to appeal to western fans? I feel like the weird implication here is western fans are the ones who primarily enjoy black characters in their minds...like black characters are something they do for western fans, not just because it's the right thing to include.

Unfortunately I think we can only hope by next Smash the situation improves. I mean it took six-seven DLC characters to get a stand-alone female fighter, heck Min Min is the first female Ultimate newcomer without male alts or moves borrowed from other fighters. Nintendo is pretty conservative even by Japanese gaming company standards. It would help if they let NOA/NOE have more say, I think.

I still say they missed a huge opportunity for a brown woman character by not having an Impa echo fighter.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Yeah, they avoid the Xenoblade spoilers. Oh, except you know that one massive spoiler you just mentioned, which he pretty much went out of his way to spoil. Oh, and also the true identity of
Metal Face

He also spoiled giant twists in Mother 3, Ocarina of Time, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance... Sakurai doesn't give a shit about spoilers.

he comes off as inconsistent. in some games he does care but in others, he does not.

it might hurt the dev team

of course they should get extra time for the additional work. not asking for them to break themselves for more characters.
these days some games get really long update cycles so it doesn't have to become extra work on the same period.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Despite being a plot twist of the mid-game, Mecha-Fiora doesn't seem like that much of a spoiler to Sakurai and the dev team, at least at the point that Smash 4 was in production and her trophy was included. Xenoblade fans are really the only ones that get really careful and call her Seven all of the time.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
There is always an excuse to not have a black character. Naturally we just have to look hard enough for it.

I understand the sentiment. Like I said, I wanted Twintelle the most — based on a need for diversity and her cool design/personality. I was just pointing out something not based on race that could have worked against her chances.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth I haven't played a Bayonetta game and whatever spoiler is in Ultimate never registered to me as a spoiler (I assume it's related to a spirit), so it's probably the type of thing which you won't recognize as a spoiler unless you played the game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Didn't Yabuki say Twintelle was designed to appeal to western fans? I feel like the weird implication here is western fans are the ones who primarily enjoy black characters in their minds...like black characters are something they do for western fans, not just because it's the right thing to include.

Unfortunately I think we can only hope by next Smash the situation improves. I mean it took six-seven DLC characters to get a stand-alone female fighter, heck Min Min is the first female Ultimate newcomer without male alts or moves borrowed from other fighters. Nintendo is pretty conservative even by Japanese gaming company standards. It would help if they let NOA/NOE have more say, I think.

I still say they missed a huge opportunity for a brown woman character by not having an Impa echo fighter.
Um you mean the Impa who has the same skin color as link and Zelda with a slight tan(if that). She's been around since the first game and her general traits are similar even if her role varies majorly
4685a79f4afd545e34139f1233e7152a--legend-of-zelda-fan-art.jpg

latest

latest

latest

all the way back to the original manual

hhwERIpg.jpg

She's a Hylian(so more or less Japanese blend)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Um you mean the Impa who has the same skin color as link and Zelda with a slight tan(if that). She's been around since the first game and her general traits are similar even if her role varies majorly
4685a79f4afd545e34139f1233e7152a--legend-of-zelda-fan-art.jpg

latest

latest

latest

all the way back to the original manual

hhwERIpg.jpg

She's a Hylian(so more or less Japanese blend)

Did you forget Skyward Sword Impa or what

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about white for Smash. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Edit: Huh, I had no idea that Min Min was supposed to be actually asian. Could've fooled me.

Apr 21, 2018
I don't think it was going to be Twintelle only because she doesn't use her Arms, and she floats, and is a little too much of a unique character to represent some of the vanilla mechanics of the series.

Min-Min was the obvious choice I think.

They really need a poc lead fighter in there. Jax from Mortal Kombat, Barrett from FF7, Doc Louis from Punch Out, Zack from Dead or Alive, Prince of Persia, there are lots of options. Although it really does illustrate how Nintendo has no black characters outside of mii's and inklings.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I haven't played a Bayonetta game and whatever spoiler is in Ultimate never registered to me as a spoiler (I assume it's related to a spirit), so it's probably the type of thing which you won't recognize as a spoiler unless you played the game.
That kinda describes almost all spoilers. If you don't know who Zelda or Sheik are you're not going to feel spoiled by Zelda's down B in Melee. But then you play Ocarina of Time and you're like oh, this Sheik guy must actually be Zelda in disguise.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I had no idea that Min Min was supposed to be actually asian. Could've fooled me.
...You had no idea that a ramen-obsessed kung fu fighter with a dragon for an arm named Min Min was supposed to be Asian? She's practically every stereotype rolled into one. There's literally a giant gong in her stage.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Huh, I had no idea that Min Min was supposed to be actually asian. Could've fooled me.

I've never heard of the character before today, never played arms... but I could have told you this character was chinese with 99% certainty simply based on her name. How many white friends do you have named Min Min?