• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Honestly everyone would have been cool but having a Chinese character is super awesome. She's got a great design as well. Can't say I'm buying the pass atm but I'll wait a bit to decide if I want to buy her individually. Having never played ARMS I do think she is a great pick though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can definitely see Marina getting into Smash. Considering how big of a deal Splatoon has become, it feels underrepresented as a franchise in Smash Bros. With Callie and Marie now out of contention, Pearl and Marina are now the top contenders for further Splatoon reps.
Besides the Octolings, of course.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Kinda blown away that it wasn't either the default of springman/ribbon girl or twintelle.

Like, a black woman character in smash would have been fucking awesome.

But min min is cool and the character is cool

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
Sakurai, please (in no particular order):
1) Add Urbosa to the game already. She's super popular, a black woman, a muscular woman, and a new Zelda character, all at the same time. She's also a curved sword user, which are rare in Smash. It just makes so much sense for so many reasons.
2) Add Impa. Same reasons as above (except perhaps popularity). She uses a spear which again is rare in Smash.
3) Add Twintelle as an Echo of Min Min, with a different selection of Arms. This is also a no brainer considering the work of figuring out how to translate Arms to Smash is already done.

These are not either / or, please do all three!

Since when were Urbosa and Impa black???

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anything is possible now, if he decided/descides to ask Monolith Soft like he did here. Still a slim chance, though.

Nah, I lost all hope

Twintelle was the closest we've had to a black character that could realistically get in, and she wasn't even considered.

Not gonna put my hopes on Elma when XB2 is more popular, and if I recall correctly Sakurai said he liked Rex/Pyra, so they'd get priority anyhow

I'll just go back to hoping Paper Mario gets in I guess

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't that familiar with Min Min as I never played her. Cool to hear she is chinese as the more representation there is, the better. Especially in these times.

With that said, people need to understand that we have been waiting decades for a black character to get into the series. Twintelle was the biggest hope for that. She had a really cool design as well and is loved by almost everyone.

Honestly, the fact that there is no black characters in the game yet Sakurai and his team added the racist spirit characters just makes this even worse. It feels insulting to see how there is no black characters in the game and yet you can find light skinned characters everywhere in the game. People can point to the Xenoblade X lady as a potential canditate for black representation but she sure as hell doesn't fit.

Nintendo needs to understand that they should be better. The brand is supposed to be for everyone and yet Smash clearly shows the opposite.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It's perfectly possible to have blue eyes and be black.
Twin could have Waardenburg syndrome like this girl.

I know what you're doing but I really am not a fan of people pushing what "black people should look like", non-sense.
Nobody should be pushing either rhetoric that "black people should look like" and "Chinese people should look like".

Though I can understand concerns that Min Min is definitely on the lighter side of skin tones.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Why was Ninjara even considered? Tells me diversity isn't even in the conversation, which isn't a surprise, but geez Sakurai/Nintendo, you could at least pretend to care when your roster is this dire.
He's arguably the second most popular ARMS character in Japan according to polls and the Party Crash Bash.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, really, we can realistically say the remaining 5 characters in Fighter Pass 2 won't include a black character, and that's a bummer.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dismissing people disappointed in Twintelle not getting in as not being down for the cause of bolstering black employment in media is bullshit, and you know it.
I'm not dismissing anybody genuinely holding out for Twintelle because she's one of the few black characters in Nintendo. If you were, I am not talking to or about you.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's arguably the second most popular ARMS character in Japan according to fan polls and the Party Crash Bash.
So? When your roster is ridiculously skewed towards light-skinned male, "this guy was second most popular in one territory" shouldn't even matter.
Not like popularity has mattered before with defaulting Fire Emblem characters to male.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's perfectly possible to have blue eyes and be black.
Twin could have Waardenburg syndrome like this girl.

I know what you're doing but I really am not a fan of people pushing what "black people should look like", non-sense.
He's not actually arguing that Twintelle therefore doesn't count as black, he's pointing out that it's a consistent aesthetic style across all ARMS characters to have non-traditional hair and eye colors.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted twintelle but the trailer sold me on Min Min. That Captain Falcon mix up at the end was so good.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
So? When your roster is ridiculously skewed towards light-skinned male, "this guy was second most popular in one territory" shouldn't even matter.
Not like popularity has mattered before with defaulting Fire Emblem characters to male.
I was just answering your question as to why he was considered.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I´ve seen people complaining that Nintendo doesn´t put black characters in their games, my question is, have they played or seen Sword and Shield? Your rival, the champion and the most popular gym leader are black.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I´ve seen people complaining that Nintendo doesn´t put black characters in their games, my question is, have they played or seen Sword and Shield? Your rival, the champion and the most popular gym leader are black.

As well as best girl as the water gym leader!

Edit: talking about dragon gym leader right???

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
That's Game Freak, I don't Nintendo the company has any influence on that stuff. The Pokemon company would handle things like that.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Unexpected but cool pick.

Im more shocked that nintendo still doing amiibos? I thought they quietly just stopped them after a while.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Ninjara was the most played character online in the only data we've had shared, so that's definitely not a Japan only thing.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more conversations about Twintelle's ass than her race up until this point.

Black representation in video games is a way bigger conversation than Twintelle and if you want genuine change we should be demanding more black people working in games on the creative level than leveling representation as a complaint over your waifu not getting in.
I'm a black woman who was excited to have Twintelle as a rep, and many black members were equally and vocally excited. I've seen no one bring up her "ass" as a reason to have her as a rep. Get the hell out of here with this concern trolling. We can and do want both things.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
He's not actually arguing that Twintelle therefore doesn't count as black, he's pointing out that it's a consistent aesthetic style across all ARMS characters to have non-traditional hair and eye colors.

Like I said, I know what they're doing.

But you don't have to combat that rhetoric by pushing another on another character as an example, just say it's cartoon shit. Springman has blue hair, it's all cartoon shit.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
They publish the game. So, if Nintendo was racist they wouldn´t have.Also, Smash isn´t Nintendo if you want to apply it to Pokemon, apply it to Smash.
People aren't saying they're racist? People are saying they don't care? Which means they don't care if black characters are in a game or if they aren't.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

Pokemon is really the only Nintendo game with some amount of black representation, and even that took a long ass time (wasn't the first black gym leader not until gen 5?) and still isn't incredible. Sword and Shield seems like it went in the right direction (although I think Hop + Leon are supposed to be Desi) by adding in better black/brown rep. But even still, that's such a small amount of representation for an incredibly global franchise.

Fire Emblem has some POC coded characters, but a lot of times their stories boil down to being about their skin tone/'otherness' in a way that I feel like is probably really exhausting when that's what 99% of their character arcs are.

Overall Nintendo has a huge problem with representing POC, particularly darker skinned POC. Hell, in Animal Crossing for the 3DS, you couldn't be anything other than pasty unless you went to the beach to tan every day in the summer--a game that's supposed to let you feel like you're living there.

It's really disingenuous imo to point to a few examples and say Nintendo has done their part.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Also Happy to see more wave of ARMS fanart. ARMS has superb character design.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Min Min was my second choice for an Arms rep. I would have preferred Twintelle but she is pretty good too.

I am glad to see Smash with another female choice in the roster. And not as an alternative costume either. She looks like a lot of fun too.

Smash is the game that keeps on delivering. Looking forward to the Character #7.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, even if he is the most popular character in all territories. So?

So it's not confusing in the slightest why the most popular character among people playing the game (which admittedly doesn't include me, think I had a total of about 3 hours playtime...) would be in serious consideration for being the one chosen to be in a smash crossover.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Whataboutism and Dismissing Concerns of Representation Over Multiple Posts
Pokemon is really the only Nintendo game with some amount of black representation, and even that took a long ass time (wasn't the first black gym leader not until gen 5?) and still isn't incredible. Sword and Shield seems like it went in the right direction (although I think Hop + Leon are supposed to be Desi) by adding in better black/brown rep. But even still, that's such a small amount of representation for an incredibly global franchise.

Fire Emblem has some POC coded characters, but a lot of times their stories boil down to being about their skin tone/'otherness' in a way that I feel like is probably really exhausting when that's what 99% of their character arcs are.

Overall Nintendo has a huge problem with representing POC, particularly darker skinned POC. Hell, in Animal Crossing for the 3DS, you couldn't be anything other than pasty unless you went to the beach to tan every day in the summer--a game that's supposed to let you feel like you're living there.

It's really disingenuous imo to point to a few examples and say Nintendo has done their part.
I think all three console makers have the same problem. tbh ( maybe I´m wrong) but Sony always do generic white dude and female, and Xbox kinda the same. If anything, Nintendo is the one with more representation.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
What? I didn't expect to get laugh this much from a post. I'm Arab btw lol

Cool, I'm not telling Arabs how they should identify btw. Hope you didn't take it as offensive.

I am very confused by this post
...the fuck?

I'm pretty sure Arabians don't consider themselves white...and I'm sure as shit that white people don't see Arabians as white given the Islamophobia that's been plaguing the western world for the last few decades and more.

I need to properly explain myself here.

My original post was not to downplay representation of Arabs but really to point how dumb the concept of "white" truly is. In the United States there was a time where only Anglo-speaking people were considered white (correct me if I'm wrong). It's an evolving term and one that has no real backing in science. The division between Europe and Asia is really non-existent. There are many people of middle eastern descent who live in the US and dress as the culture who people don't realize are of this descent. Including Arabs.

So in reality people of ME descent should fall under the title of white but they aren't because of religious prejudice.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not confusing in the slightest why the most popular character among people playing the game (which admittedly doesn't include me, think I had a total of about 3 hours playtime...) would be in serious consideration for being the one chosen to be in a smash crossover.
It's not confusing, just incredibly disappointing, and also not even consistent considering FE defaults.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a more degenerate Simon. Guess that's the best even Sakurai can do with the fundamentally shitty concept ARMS was built around in the first place.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Britain obviously has huge historical ties to to the area and a huge immigrant population, and in a few different language translations they have more traditional Pakistani/Indian names. IIRC the French one in particular is pretty clear about it.
But is there anything in the Japanese version that would point to it?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the first Gym Leader, Brock, black ?
Any example of Three Houses ?

I'd say that they got better at it (see the improvement of AC from New Leaf to New Horizons, Marina in Smash, Claude in Three Houses, Twintelle in ARMS...). It is not perfect by any means and could be still improved.