• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Twintelle was never a good choice being the only ARMS fighter that doesn't use actual arms, never mind representation. We'll get that with Elma, I'm really feeling it. As for a good pick for ARMS? Yeah, it's Min-Min.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really cool trailer. Really impressed by the amount of effort the Smash team puts into those things.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
I would have loved Twintelle too, as she's my most played character, but Min Min is also great - not to mention the most obvious choice (for one thing, Twintelle may have been the most popular character reveal shortly before the game's release but she wasn't the most popular character overall; and secondly, with her particular ARMS and movement abilities Min Min was easily the best pick for Smash in terms of movesets) - and to be honest I'm just thrilled that any character from ARMS made it into Smash because a) it's a great fucking game that I desperately hope more people check out so that it can be given the green light for a sequel and b) every one of them is fucking amazing in terms of design and abilities and anyone would have looked and felt the part. Some more than most, obviously, but I'm glad that Min Min came out on top.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Hoping Ryu Hayabusa is the next one, with the old Ninja Gaiden main theme going. Not a generic white male seems like a W.

Reopening post

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Apologies for the delay -- we had to wait for Asian staff to become available for some of these reports.

There are some thorny intersectional issues at play in this thread that we need to cover before reopening. Many posters are disappointed about the ARMS rep not being Twintelle, as the game doesn't have much in the way of black or brown representation, and at this point that lack is fairly egregious. We banned a number of posts dismissing the idea that black representation in a game like this is a reasonable thing to expect and we would like to make it clear: It is.

The second issue is Min Min, a character with a Chinese name who speaks her lines in Chinese, and who is clearly Chinese-themed in a way that other Asian Smash characters are not. There are gamers who identify with Min Min and feel represented by her, especially at this time of increasing xenophobia and tensions towards China. This representation has value too, and dismissing that is also not okay.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
there has to be a way to express disappointment with the lack of black characters in smash without absolutely shitting on and minimizing other minority representation in the process

we got people in here literally arguing that min min is not even chinese because her hair is noodle colored

There can definitely be both criticisms without the reactionary racism against asians. Nintendo's dearth of black representation across their wide library of IP is a massive issue. And positive representation of a female Chinese character in Smash is good.

"Min Min isn't a POC" or "asian characters in an asian game isn't diversity" are definitely not the right takes tho lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the thread has been reopened.

Especially now, when the POTUS is using his power to further anti-Chinese settlement in his country amidst further behaviour across the world, I feel there is power in Min Min's inclusion.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just endlessly impressed by how Sakurai keeps extracting new mechanics from the Smash formula.

I can't wait to try Min Min.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
I'm happy for China to get some representation through Min Min, but I would've preferred Twintelle personally. The only issue I have with Min Min is that she has blonde hair and green eyes which typically isn't seen in Chinese folks. Unless I'm mistaken? But then again I guess she could be half Chinese.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm happy for China to get some representation through Min Min, but I would've preferred Twintelle personally. The only issue I have with Min Min is that she has blonde hair and green eyes which typically isn't seen in Chinese folks. Unless I'm mistaken? But then again I guess she could be half Chinese.

Her hair is supposed to be ramen and her eyes are supposed to represent her dragon arm, if I'm remembering correctly.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Nope it's not seen as common at all. I think this is the first Chinese representation that uses those color choices.

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Min Min. More female reps are always welcome. I wonder if we'll ever get a brown rep that isn't Ganondorf, specifically Middle Eastern brown. I guess before we get A Middle Eastern Rep, we will get a black one first. In due time folks

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Minorities need to stick together - the infighting isn't helping any of us. Sure I would.have loved Twintelle as well but I'm not gonna pretend like Min Min isn't a great charachters and not a great addition to the Smash Bros rosters as Chinese female fighter with great design and gameplay.

We are all in this together in the end and progress is progress.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Twintelle has white hair and blue eyes.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Twintelle was ever likely and I think it says more that hopes were pinned on her to get any black representation. Keeping in mind Smash Bros is a crossover title so is always going to trend towards the main characters and/or most popular characters it speaks to the fact that whilst lots of games might have black characters, they are seldom the main protagonist and that doesn't only apply to Nintendo games.. The only notable examples from this gen off the top of my head are Locke from Halo 5 and Nadine from Uncharted but even still both would be passed over for Chief and Nathan Drake for a crossover game.

Dunno about the green eyes but the hair is because she's Ramen themed. Her hair + hat are an upside down ramen bowl.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Great pick and really happy for the Chinese representation.

It was between Twintelle and Min Min so I'm pleased, esp as someone mixed.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Min Min was my favorite character from the ARMS game itself; however, I really really pushed for Twintelle because as a black man, it would have felt really good to have a character who looked like me in my favorite video game franchise of all time, Super Smash Bros. Sadly, that did not happen, but if anyone else were to grab victory, I'm glad it was Min Min.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
I don't think Twintelle was ever likely and I think it says more that hopes were pinned on her to get any black representation. Keeping in mind Smash Bros is a crossover title so is always going to trend towards the main characters and/or most popular characters it speaks to the fact that whilst lots of games might have black characters, they are seldom the main protagonist and that doesn't only apply to Nintendo games.. The only notable examples from this gen off the top of my head are Locke from Halo 5 and Nadine from Uncharted but even still both would be passed over for Chief and Nathan Drake for a crossover game.

Dunno about the green eyes but the hair is because she's Ramen themed. Her hair + hat are an upside down ramen bowl.

but, that doesn't make sense either considering ramen is a Japanese food.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I feel like if you're gonna do a Chinese character, at least make them look Chinese. Min Min looks like a white girl with a Chinese nickname.

I think her hair being blonde is supposed to be cute against her hat (which looks like the noodle bowl)...makes her entire head look like a bowl of noodles if you look at it upside down?

"Green eyes for dragon"...I mean sure if that's what it is.

I do agree though, having a character with blonde hair and green eyes on first glance honestly doesn't make me think Chinese. But, that's not considering her name and spoken language :). Once I look more into her, beyond her face, then cool. Chinese she is.

Pretty sure majority of East Asians have darker hair with dark eyes. But, that's compared to some Europeans. In anime, different hair colors and different eye colors don't make character not Japanese.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the thread has been reopened.

Especially now, when the POTUS is using his power to further anti-Chinese settlement in his country amidst further behaviour across the world, I feel there is power in Min Min's inclusion.
Yeah. Anti-Chinese sentiment is on the rise in general, and current events are largely to blame. There absolutely is room for Min Min in Smash.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Weird that you specified Arabs when Arabs are no different than white people other than being Muslim majority.
...the fuck?

I'm pretty sure Arabians don't consider themselves white...and I'm sure as shit that white people don't see Arabians as white given the Islamophobia that's been plaguing the western world for the last few decades and more.