• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Shame on some people for being upset that the only real option from among Nintendo's IPs to have a black woman representing wasn't taken? Right now? Are you for real?

Yes, Smash desperately needs more female character mains, and so Min Min is far from nothing (it could have been another white dude), but it's an inarguable loss of opportunity.
You can acknowledge the loss of opportunity. That is completely understandable. Twintelle would've been an awesome pick as she's one of the few PoC characters in a Nintendo series.

However, you can do that without putting down other minority representation. Already you had several posters putting her down as not a minority which is kind of disheartening.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. You actually typed that and thought it was a smart response in your brain.
Sorry i couldnt arituclate my response better. Im just talking of people that are now hating on the choice and saying that everything but twintelle is trash, becuase it was a response drectly from someone talkign about that message.

I understand people wanting more black character in the game, or any game for that matter, and I infact want them also.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Some pretty problematic posts in here. I understand people are disappointed Twintelle didn't get in but pretty out of order.

That trailer was so good and she looks amazing. Can't wait.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Sakurai brought it up. Yabuki(creator of ARMs) told him they are all main character and he wants Min Min in Smash.
To be fair that might be just one of the factors that lead her to be chose, Min Min won the in-game popularity contest, so she's by far the most popular ARMS character among ARMS fans.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Chinese characters performing Kung Fu are far from lacking in the video game space in terms of represenation. Hell, Chinese characters in games are pretty common in general.

How often do we see Black and Brown characters in games that aren't a blatant stereotype?

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I love ARMS for everything but the game unfortunately. Its characters. Its soundtrack. Its aesthetic. Just not the game itself. I would have been happy with anybody. I'm happy about this. Goddamn, she looks great. Albeit my friend says she'll have a hard time in neutral.
Yeah, I bought it at launch, sometimes I try to get into it, I just can't

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive and inaccurate commentary concerning Asian representation
Is this an "all anime characters are Asian" thing?
Ryu.
Ken
Pokemon Trainer (and if you're gonna say that doesn't count, MinMin sure as fuck ain't Chinese)
Joker
Corrin (see Pokemon Trainer)

And those are just the ones where there is 0 ambiguity

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Blonde, green eyed , light skin... Being from fictional China don't really qualify as POC come on.
Her hair is yellow because noodles are yellow.

Her eyes are green because the dragon is green and it's one of them main colors in her color scheme.

it really is not as deep as some of you make it out to be. There's no agenda, no conspiracy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
After the "it's an Arms character, but we're not gonna tell you which," I expected something more like bowser Jr or Hero where there would be a decent few alts. Little disappointed as a result, but hey min min is def better than what it could have been even if I won't get to play as twintelle.
A multi-character slot was never realistic considering the smaller dev team.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear you guys are impossible to please. Frankly I expected Springman just due to to the tendency to add the "main" character of a franchise. So they not only add a woman, which how many hundreds of pages of discussion were about how we needed more female representation? But she is also a minority...unless asian isn't a considered a minority anymore for some reason.

People have been asking for black representation for years, what the fuck are some of you even on about lmao

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
God bless Sakurai, but thank god he consulted the ARMS producer because with the passionate Min Min and Twintelle fans, we could all agree that Ninjara would be a harsh blow and literally just be another countless male character in Smash (no offense to Ninjara fans).

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The cop character was the first to get their ass beat in the trailer, and the rep wasn't Spring Man, so I see this as a win

People have been asking for black representation for yeas, what the fuck are some of you even on about lmao

Yeah, some people have wanted a canonically black character, not merely any PoC

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
She has all the characteristics of white beauty standards: light-toned skin, green eyes and blond hair. It doesn't matter much that she's canonically chinese in the context of demanding diverse-looking characters, especially dark-skinned ones.
Whitewashed Asian is considered a minority apparently
Blonde, green eyed , light skin... Being from fictional China don't really qualify as POC come on.
what nonsense.

Really doing the whole real poc vs a fake poc rhetoric, wow
as if real people don't face this issue every day in their daily lives, especially those of mixed descent.
When white people or even people of their own race tell them they don't count because X reasons or they have/don't have X appearance features

people literally parroting that type of racism in this thread.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Min Min looks amazing, can't wait to try her out. I'm sad they didn't pick Twintelle, but Min Min was the next best option so I'm still happy about the reveal.

Hopefully they'll add Twintelle in the future.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't expect Min Min. But the video definitely sold me on her. Just glad the IP (and dat soundtrack) are finally brought into Smash.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
One of the 3 obvious choices.

Minmin the most popular character among the fanbase

Twintelle as the most recognizable I would say

Spring man as the poster boy

Going with the character the fanbase likes most makes sense
This is a pretty good summary of ARMS headline characters really.

Man her ability to use A for one arm and B for the other and use both SIMULTANEOUSLY is gonna be fantastic. Counters can eat fist now, and honestly with her grabs giving her THAT MUCH damage on her dragon arm I doubt she's gonna have issues getting KO. Overall, she seems solid. Full screen simultaneous fighting, steerable attacks, crazy angles, boomerangs and counter snuffing. Huge stage recovery tools and her ledge guard game is gonna piss folks off tremendously given she is out of range of most recovery attacks and still able to obstruct em. The range on that dragon fire and boomerang have me pumped. So much I can do with that.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of funny to me how an ARMS character made it in.

You see all of these characters coming from iconic, really popular or widely regarded as, at least, great titles... then you have ARMS LOL

To be fair, the bar has always been much lower for first parties over third parties. I can see them adding a 6th slot in this dlc to do one more first party this time around, too.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This was their opportunity to add a POC rep to smash and they blew it! Man fuck this I'm mad

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Twintelle was my #1, but Min Min was my second choice so I'm fine with this.

I'm just glad a female fighter was chosen here, and I think Min Min represents ARMS very well and has a moveset that is very compatible with Smash. It's also great that ARMS switching is incorporated into her gameplay (something that should've happened with Byleth, too).

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted them both but I guess only Min Min is fine

I don't like people taking turds on both her and ARMS thought y'all gotta chill

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Sakurai and team went wild on her mechanics, since Min Min always had the most dynamic set of unique characteristics. Thank god we dodged the Ninjara bullet, that would have sucked

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Isn't Twintelle considered a sexualized female character though? I mean they have Bayonetta in the game but isn't Min Min considered a safer pick in that aspect?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it fucking possible for people to express their disappointment without shitting on Min Min, claiming she isn't a POC or implying that Chinese and Japanese are the same

Like some of this shit is racist as fuck and should be getting banned

Apparently you can only be racist against black PoC on Era. Asian minorities are fair game to shit on.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Min Min has such a fun design, glad to she her in. Interesting looking playstyle too for smash, cant wait to give her a whirl.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there has to be a way to express disappointment with the lack of black characters in smash without absolutely shitting on and minimizing other minority representation in the process

we got people in here literally arguing that min min is not even chinese because her hair is noodle colored

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I approve of the Morrigan-ing Min Min is getting for ARMS, helps she was the one I picked when I was briefly playing the game.

One character isn't enough to get me the Season Pass though so it'll probably be awhile before I pick it up (if I pick it up).

Kovalxy

Apr 5, 2020
Trailer was fantastic.

Would've preferred Twintelle, but Min Min was my second choice, so I'm fine with this. Min Min also won the Party Crash and was a favorite of the developer as well, so that's a big long one-two punch. I know many are disappointed, but personally I'm just glad we have another female fighter. Hopefully we'll get some more.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to see Min Min added to Smash, she looks great. Love the addition of so much of the fantastic ARMS soundtrack as well.

The reaction of certain individuals isn't at all surprising.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Twintelle is obviously gonna be candidate number 2 for an ARMS character in the next game, now that we know there's not an "official" protagonist according to the developers.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She has all the characteristics of white beauty standards: light-toned skin, green eyes and blond hair. It doesn't matter much that she's canonically chinese in the context of demanding diverse-looking characters, especially dark-skinned ones.

Her hair was based on noodles, not because of blondie. Not everything is about the West.