• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Gen Z keeps confounding Corporate America.

They've shunned beer, they want companies to take political stands and they trust Kardashians to make their makeup choices. But perhaps the biggest surprise about this new cohort of teenagers is the most unexpected of all: They love the shopping mall.

Around 95 percent of them visited a physical shopping center in a three-month period in 2018, as opposed to just 75 percent of millennials and 58 percent of Gen X, according to an International Council of Shopping Centers study. And they genuinely like it; three-quarters of them said going to a brick-and-mortar store was a better experience than online, ICSC found.

"There's always been this assumption that as you go through the age spectrum, the younger consumer that has grown up with online and digital and is very savvy would shun physical experiences," said Neil Saunders, an analyst at GlobalData Retail. "But actually that's not turned out to be the case.

Gen Z—or the group of kids, teens and young adults roughly between the ages of 7 and 22—still appreciate brick and mortar. But they aren't just millennials living in a different time. Today's teens interact differently with stores than their older siblings and Gen X parents before them, and several retailers who didn't understand the fundamental differences in how they shop landed themselves in bankruptcy court: Think Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal and Claire's, once staples of the teen mall circuit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...d-not-if-gen-z-keeps-shopping-the-way-they-do

Man, Gen X is just done with brick and mortar lol.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking to my experience, going to the mall is a social experience when you're in High a school and college, so it's fun. And then later on you go purely cause you need to buy something, so it becomes a less enjoyable experience.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I like malls. I just hated the clothing stores. You know you're in a good mall when they have iMac vending machines, bootleg anime stores, As Seen on TV stores, Goth Stores besides Hot Topic, sketchy 99 cent stores, at least 2 Pretzel stands, and all that Cinnabon and Great American Cookies. If you want us to go to a mall over online though, you gotta get the crazy out for me to come.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking to my experience, going to the mall is a social experience when you're in High a school and college, so it's fun. And then later on you go purely cause you need to buy something, so it becomes a less enjoyable experience.
Yeah. It's public commons for teens. Gets you out of the house. away from parents, and so on.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Curses, despite my best efforts I couldn't make malls extinct once and for all!

Brian Crecente

Pad and Pixel
Verified
Jan 14, 2018
New York, NY
Gen Z keeps confounding Corporate America.

They've shunned beer, they want companies to take political stands and they trust Kardashians to make their makeup choices. But perhaps the biggest surprise about this new cohort of teenagers is the most unexpected of all: They love the shopping mall.

Around 95 percent of them visited a physical shopping center in a three-month period in 2018, as opposed to just 75 percent of millennials and 58 percent of Gen X, according to an International Council of Shopping Centers study. And they genuinely like it; three-quarters of them said going to a brick-and-mortar store was a better experience than online, ICSC found.

"There's always been this assumption that as you go through the age spectrum, the younger consumer that has grown up with online and digital and is very savvy would shun physical experiences," said Neil Saunders, an analyst at GlobalData Retail. "But actually that's not turned out to be the case.

Gen Z—or the group of kids, teens and young adults roughly between the ages of 7 and 22—still appreciate brick and mortar. But they aren't just millennials living in a different time. Today's teens interact differently with stores than their older siblings and Gen X parents before them, and several retailers who didn't understand the fundamental differences in how they shop landed themselves in bankruptcy court: Think Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal and Claire's, once staples of the teen mall circuit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...d-not-if-gen-z-keeps-shopping-the-way-they-do

Man, Gen X is just done with brick and mortar lol.
We're too old!!!

:( :( :(

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon just makes the mall pointless in 2019, free next day shipping is just too good

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Are we taking big ass malls or small malls? Or even outlet malls?

Cus from what I remember reading a while ago those mega and outlet malls were still doing well, which from personal experience seems to have been the case. Then you have the smaller malls which seem dead as fuck.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The "anchor" stores are still hurting. So without their high rents malls will struggle.

Kids no matter the generation love the mall. That changes quickly though.

This.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
When you have a full time job the convenience of a) being able to buy online, b) the ability to avoid the shops entirely and c) the fact you don't want to waste any time means that people want to less and less go to somewhere like a shopping center. It's hell on earth and there's literally nothing enjoyable about wasting your very little free time there. Most GenZ people are not working age yet, so this makes sense.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The death of the mall must be a middle America thing. The malls are fine in California and people are definitely spending here.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
You know what killed our local mall? Kicking out the teenagers.

Don't ask me the exact how or why...hell, it might even be a coincidence...but once they started a 18+ rule at the mall, business went to hell. I honestly feel like a large part of it was because despite the fact that they were not necessarily buying much and were annoying to some, they made the place feel alive while now it's just a bunch of mall walkers who are really just there for an air conditioned chance to walk. Why WOULD you want to go there? The teenagers oddly enough seemed to give the place some atmosphere.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Purely wishful thinking.

Kids have a ton of time to kill, and the mall is the place you go to hang out and be social. Once they grow up they won't be as interested in going to Sbarro and the Gap.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Don't ask me the exact how or why...hell, it might even be a coincidence...but once they started a 18+ rule at the mall, business went to hell. I honestly feel like a large part of it was because despite the fact that they were not necessarily buying much and were annoying to some, they made the place feel alive while now it's just a bunch of mall walkers who are really just there for an air conditioned chance to walk. Why WOULD you want to go there? The teenagers oddly enough seemed to give the place some atmosphere.
That's interesting. Never heard of malls banning by age.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not like they've got other places to be in the US.
Most cities aren't designed well for public hangout spots. It's one of the few areas they can meet and hangout.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I went to malls routinely when I was a teenager. Pretty sure this is just a thing you do as a teenager to get out of the houses with friends. They'll fall out of the habit likely when they get older and have less time.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
hey i'm a
millennial
and i love malls.
just dead ones

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

How the fuck do they enforce that? What a nightmare.

Edit: not to mention that many clothing shops absolutely need teenagers as customers!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Banning unaccompanied minors was a thing for a lot of malls at one point but doing that probably turned a lot of teenagers off from going there after they turned 18.

A lot of malls were build as tax shelters, Gen Z isn't going to save shit.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Around 95 percent of them visited a physical shopping center in a three-month period in 2018, as opposed to just 75 percent of millennials and 58 percent of Gen X

Kids like going to the mall, and they like it less as they age. What a concept.

You can't stop us, zoomers. We millennials finish what we start, and the mall must die.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real. Did you wait until hitting drinking age to drink lol

No. But I also wasn't the beer drinker that grew to become.

I'm pretty sure there aren't many wine drinkers of that age either.

The market trends of those with little money committing an illegal activity doesn't carry much weight. I just find it silly they open the article that way.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Amazon just makes the mall pointless in 2019, free next day shipping is just too good

Sometimes it isn't just about getting the item cheap and quick. Sometimes shopping is the experience in itself

I like going to shops and thumbing through the clothes, feeling the material, seeing the cut, trying on the shoes. I also like going to record stores and impulse buying a new vinyl and a couple of CDs. Or a book store and picking up something you like the look of.

I use Amazon to go and order a specific product I'm looking for on the spot. It's not an experience.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Millennials shunned beer? Wtf they are the ones who created the craft beer culture revolution. They maybe shunned shit cheap beer, but beer is bigger than ever now.

And no millennials didn't kill the mall either, the malls killed the malls. The giant corporate entities that's gobbled up many of American malls have run them into the ground with the ridiculous costs and rent. As less ppl go to the mall, the malls keep raising the costs and rent to crazy levels. Malls are full of vacant bays and what do they do? Reduce rent to get stores to come in? No they keep raising the rent of current tenants to cover their losses, and that just drives out more stores until the malls become ghost towns. The more empty bays and drying up locations, the less people go to these malls. SIMON malls especially has killed so much of the local community malls with their shitty practices.

As for the article basically boiling down to the younger gen going to the mall... well duh. This has nothing to do with millennials.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I looked up the three month period this study was referring to. It was February-April, 2018. There's definitely no reason for anybody to go to the mall at that time of the year unless you're a shopaholic, going to a movie theater/restaurant attached to the mall, or are hanging out with your friends after school.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
In my experience, this makes sense. They're still a relatively good place to hangout that's not someone else's place when you're not of drinking age yet.

In my experience, most malls are still dying, but the few that are able to keep the experience updated and the store selection fresh are thriving. It's mostly the smaller malls that can't keep up and that's where you see a lot of dead malls coming from.
Essentially, malls are consolidating down from their peak in the mid 2000s.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the cynic in me wants to say: they find the idea of any shared public space that isn't car-swamped to be appealing, of course they do. so rare in North American cities.

(but... ech, malls? noooo thank you.)

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Kids no matter the generation love the mall. That changes quickly though.

Exactly. I used to love malls as a teenager, then I got older and stopped caring. Then Pokemon Go came out and I started going again, but still not with a normal frequency, maybe once a month. My daughter and her friends however, want to go literally every weekend.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing on the pile that Millennials have killed, incredible.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, has this ever changed? Some of these articles about millenials are really reaching.
I'm pretty sure a few years back these web sites figured out throwing "millennials killed" in an article title generated angry clicks from millenials and happy clicks from gen-x'ers.

I've since gone into every thread here to tell millenials getting angry at these articles that they are being trolled. In the end they are just analyzing statistics; there's no reason to take offense lol.