• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

• When boomers were roughly the same age as millennials are now, they owned about 21% of America's wealth, compared to millennials' 3% share today, according to recent Fed data.
  • Baby boomers are outpacing the Silent Generation in terms of wealth as they age into retirement, while millennials and Gen X are lagging behind boomers as they age.
  • Millennials are financially behind as they struggle with increased living costs, the fallout of the recession, and student-loan debt, but it's possible they can catch up.
We are the 3%.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, am shocked, shocked, boomers had much more wealth than what they are leaving for the rest of us.

The most selfish generation the world has ever known.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Boomers will take this as evidence that their wealth was earned through hard work and grit and that the reason Milennials are doing badly is due to laziness.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Not much we can do at this point. I opened a tax free savings account last year and have started trading stocks as an effort to get rich later down the road hopefully.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I feel like most of us don't have the options for retirement..so we just wait for inheritance. It fucking sucks but it's just how it is. Our parents stole everything for themselves and fucked us over and call us lazy and whiny while they continue to horde and horde like racist fat dragons

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I feel like most of us don't have the options for retirement..so we just wait for inheritance. It fucking sucks but it's just how it is. Our parents stole everything for themselves and fucked us over and call us lazy and whiny while they continue to horde and horde like racist fat dragons
We just need to hold out until they die off and leave us their inheritance.

I wonder if one reason for the 3% is because people are living longer too?

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
They don't teach you how to save or basic economics outside of higher learning so no shit. A lot people don't know how to save or opportunity costs and it's kind of sad, consumer culture has compounded the issue.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019

I lucked out, thank god. Parents are even harder working than I am and appreciate the room and board I'm paying them in return for staying the fuck out of my business. Of course, we've also always been lower-middle income and had to make sacrifices in order to have a decent standard of living. So they actually understand what it's like to be in the poorhouse. (Fact, they actually needed help from their own parents to pay for their first mortgage. The four grandparents covered it wholesale. This was just 10 years ago, BTW, not when my parents were still practically kids. Long story.)

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Half of the boomers have no retirement savings and are living off social security. Millennials are going to be spending their retirement years trying to warm their hands on a trash can fire if that runs out.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah good luck with that when they live to be 90 and suck up all of the wealth they've accumulated so they can live that long.

boomers have already seen this from their silent gen parents. All of my grandparents are dead and they barely got anything because my grandpas died younger and then both my grandmas made it to over 85 and you spend astronomical amounts of money making that happen.

sorry I meant to edit that but it works I guess

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Half of the boomers have no retirement savings and are living off social security. Millennials are going to be spending their retirement years trying to warm their hands on a trash can fire if that runs out.
Good thing I live in Florida then.

Oh wait. My air-conditioner is busted right now and all I can do is suffer.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I did when I was in school, graduated in 16. Just didn't buy everything I wanted which is a problem I see with a lot of people my age. Again I finished school later than most but I didn't rack up student loans so that helped.

Have you considered that others also don't buy everything they want and still can't afford to save?

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I did when I was in school, graduated in 16. Just didn't buy everything I wanted which is a problem I see with a lot of people my age. Again I finished school later than most but I didn't rack up student loans so that helped.

Yes millennials are poor because they have no ability to control their purchasing impulses.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
"inherit the assets of their boomer parents" what would those be? If I'm lucky I'll get a house in suburban Boise Idaho and a few cars(though one of them is a nearly fully restored 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 XL, so not all is bad)

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

too bad your degree didn't instill in you the concept of anecdotal evidence versus empirical evidence

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
You people are getting inheritance?
My grandparents on my dads side have a house, I think the bank owns it and they get to live in it? or something like that, so nothing from them. my two other grandparents are some of the most poor people I know. If it wasn't for family help they'd be just living off of the gov help.

my dad is actually doing great for himself (if you don't count the debt) so I guess I might see something there in 30 years?
but Id trade all that money away if you could guarantee me he has at least 30 years left. the man is getting fat!!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They don't teach you how to save or basic economics outside of higher learning so no shit. A lot people don't know how to save or opportunity costs and it's kind of sad, consumer culture has compounded the issue.

Did previous generations have these basic savings lessons and they just disappeared?

I'm hoping you're not an econ major because these are macro economic forces at play, not you saving a few bucks here and there