• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
https://angrystaffofficer.com/2019/03/31/military-lessons-learned-from-the-battle-of-wakanda/

Conclusion:

The Battle of Wakanda is a short and approachable case study in what not to do with an infantry battalion. While the tactical challenge facing Captain Rogers was a difficult one, he went to seemingly every length to make it harder. While the unexpected arrival of Task Force Thor did ultimately tip the balance in his favour, that does not excuse the manifold failures found throughout his conduct of the battle.

I shudder to think what his OER will look like. If he has any sense, so should he.

More at the link.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The battle of Wakanda was the weakest sequence in the movie for all sorts of reasons but yeah some of their decisions kind of took me out of the moment.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
The battle of Wakanda was the weakest sequence in the movie for all sorts of reasons but yeah some of their decisions kind of took me out of the moment.
I still don't get why Wakandans (?) find rifles etc to be primitive? And then you have them charging down a hill at an army of four-armed alien monsters.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I am just really sick of token large scale battles with armies charging eachother in blockbuster films at this point. Feels like something that's shoehorned in just for the sake of it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, obviously. As are most fictionnal battles shown in fiction.

Writers/directors mostly have no knowledge/interest in proper tactics and simply aim for what "looks cool". Even if it means that their characters will take stupid as fuck decisions.

Oct 29, 2017
It's actually worse than the brawl in TDKR.
Let's not be silly here.

Article is good. RE: Guns. I believe they did use them to begin with? Or laser spears or something? But realistically speaking I can't see that they would have done much ultimate good given that these things charged them down at superhuman speed. Though they did also run at them so that's pretty dumb. Maybe they felt that Vibranium weapons were more effective than bullets.

It's a shame they haven't seemed to figure out Vibranium bullets though.

They don't consider them primitive. They consider it uncivilized, as in there is nothing honorable in using them.
Okoye literally calls them primative in BP.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Why wasn't there a portcullis on the gate at Helm's Deep?

I mean, you could probably pick apart a lot of these large-scale battle scenes if you're looking at it from a purely military tactical point of view.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why Wakandans (?) find rifles etc to be primitive? And then you have them charging down a hill at an army of four-armed alien monsters.

I thought it was some sort of pacifism thing, y'know, like weapons are barbaric and primitive. Then we find out they have spears able to blow a hole through a tank and armoured rhinos and get very confused.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was ridiculous that they were having an infantry based battle at all. With their weaponry they shouldn't have had the need to fight like that. I mean, I get honour as it relates to inter-tribal issues but when the universe is at stake? No thanks.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you could probably pick apart a lot of these large-scale battle scenes if you're looking at it from a purely military tactical point of view.

Yup. You can't really expect filmmakers to make everything perfectly logical in a military point of vue. Especially when it involves people flayling swords around. That's not what they are after anyway. (because if they were, swords wouldn't do shit against full plate armors and it would be seen as boring on screen)

Still, i will never excuse those that fuck up known, existing, and documented historical battles for no real reason (i'm looking at you Braveheart).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Wakandans have WAR RHINOS instead of tanks
WAR
RHINOS
Nothing about any of this is "military tactics" lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I never got the 'open the shield' part. You had some of the creatures going around the sides but they relied on overwhelming numbers to break through the shield. Spreading out would make it harder to get through, and surely they could cover off as needed? The sheer volume of creatures let through when they opened the shield seemed way more overwhelming than keeping it closed?

I'm not a fan of big battles like this - especially against 'faceless' generic aliens/monsters. Just turns my brain off

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. You can't really expect filmmakers to make everything perfectly logical in a military point of vue. Especially when it involves people flayling swords around. That's not what they are after anyway. (because if they were, swords wouldn't do shit against full plate armors and it would be seen as boring on screen)

Still, i will never excuse those that fuck up known, existing, and documented historical battles for no real reason (i'm looking at you Braveheart).

I may be opening a can of worms here, but: what did Braveheart do wrong?

Oct 26, 2017
I never got the 'open the shield' part. You had some of the creatures going around the sides but they relied on overwhelming numbers to break through the shield. Spreading out would make it harder to get through, and surely they could cover off as needed? The sheer volume of creatures let through when they opened the shield seemed way more overwhelming than keeping it closed?

I'm not a fan of big battles like this - especially against 'faceless' generic aliens/monsters. Just turns my brain off

The outriders had enough to eventually overpower the shields and if they started breaking through from any direction the wakandans would be even more screwed.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
An army from 1916 would have defended better.
Trenches, barbed wire, gas, big machine guns etc.

Until the giant wheels of death turned up I guess.

I guess they didn't have much prep time.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I may be opening a can of worms here, but: what did Braveheart do wrong?

A lot : characters origins (Wallace was an artistocrat), timeline (all the dates are wrong and Isabelle was 13), costumes (scots started to wear kilt in the 17th century for instance, definitely not in the 13th) but mostly, for me, the battle of Stirling.

The battle of Stirling, one of the most famous of Wallace battles was entirely centered around a bridge. Remember any bridge in the movie ? Yeah, me neither. Yet the battle is "shown".

I suggest you to check History Buff's video about the movie.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I guess Wakanda is so closed off from the outside world, it's not exposed to the Art of War.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
They think guns and rifles are primitive because those spears can shoot energy bolts. But the CG budget was probably already pushed to it's limit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

"Guns, how primitive."

*Proceeds to climb, completely unprotected, on top of the car were she could easily be shot but isn't for some plot reason.*

Article is good. RE: Guns. I believe they did use them to begin with? Or laser spears or something? But realistically speaking I can't see that they would have done much ultimate good given that these things charged them down at superhuman speed. Though they did also run at them so that's pretty dumb. Maybe they felt that Vibranium weapons were more effective than bullets.

It's a shame they haven't seemed to figure out Vibranium bullets though.

Bucky was mowing the Outriders down with an ordinary M249. He was killing far more of them at a faster rate than any Wakandan, Black Panther and Steve.

Even Falcon with his SMG's was killing loads of them at a time. Ordinary guns are demonstrably better weapons than Wakandan spears in the movie.

In real life guns are as weak as they are not because technology is limited, but because bullets are purposefully the weakest they can be to definitely killing someone in one shot. That way a gun can fire loads of them at once very fast.

Last edited:

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
The joke that a lot of you are missing and why this movie battle was chosen is Captain America. Once a part of the military and should know better from his military training.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
While militarily a lot of stuff about the battle was kinda ... suspect, aside from tactics I found it pretty easy to write off the tech, tactics, and formations they used - Wakanda hasn't been in an actual battle in ages, and their military seems mostly set up for border defense and skirmishes, not open-field warfare against a giant suicidal melee army.

Lack of air power in the battle was an oversight though (and were there any war rhinos in Infinity War? Don't recall any), as their aircraft should have been able to light up Thanos' army.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I kept thinking they would have done with some of Stark's missiles from the beginning of the first Iron Man. Conventional military can probably easily handle that army, the War Machine was so effective. It felt like pre-WWI.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
For the most part, Hollywood's idea of a pre-gunpowder warfare is two unorderly mobs of people running into each other.

Sometimes there will be formations, but they will be dispelled upon contact to make way for giant mob fights.

Not surprised that the battle of Wakanda, a battle involving punchy superheroes, would be exactly that.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

It's obviously hard for the MCU to stage big battles and logically keep everyone with vastly different powers still engaged. I do appreciate when films/TV can communicate the tactics of a battle well though. The Last Kingdom's battles are always great to watch, for example, even though they are much smaller than GoT.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yes.

According to popular culture, people wore armor for the lulz and you could apparently cut and puncture them with any old sword.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In a day and age when you have military weapons whose accuracy is measured to within a couple of meters when fired from over thousands of kilometers while traveling at a minimum of many hundreds of miles per hour I'd say presenting a realistic conflict would be pretty boring.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Am I the only one who's slightly bothered by the idea that Cap is painted as the military leader here?

T'Challa is the actual general of the Wakandan army, and he's supposed to be a Batman-level genius with far more training than Steve (maybe less experience as of IW, but that's another matter). He's the "prep time" guy of the MCU.

The battle of Wakanda strongly misrepresents T'Challa's intelligence and Wakanda's theorycal firepower. Ultimately the day is saved by the superheroes much like in the battle of New York, and resolved by the deus ex machina of Thor and Wanda joining the battle with their superior powers.

Considering how aliens who try to invade Wakanda are portrayed in comicbooks, it was massively disappointed. I was expecting Wakandans to hold off the aliens and actually kick their butts and only having to retreat when Thanos showed up with the gauntlet. They could have shot the same sequence with the US military at the center stage.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm not going to pretend I know shit about Wakanda. But for a nation that is hidden by camoflauge I would imagine they have not been attacked like that for 100's of years. The last time something like that happened the armies were probably primitive colonialist with primitive weapons, not 4 armed alien species.

So it's understandable

Oct 25, 2017
They have laser spears and shit, but yeah their military tech is not the most fitting
Eh I give the Wakandans something of a pass because apparently they've never really fought a real war. But reall the idea that they don't understand it's a better idea to stay out and fight from range is pretty laughable. Such is the nature of a superhero fight when half your people use fisti-cuffs.