• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I stumbled upon this Vice article early this morning. Actress Milana Vayntrub, who is best known for her AT&T commercials, has been the subject of memes about her breasts. She responded to it recently on Instragram, describing the hurt that it has been causing her and asking her audience to stop spreading the memes.

You probably haven't heard of Milana Vayntrub, but if you watch TV, you might have seen her. As the character Lily, she plays an employee at an AT&T store; given that the pilot for New Warriors, where Vayntrub plays iconic Marvel superhero Squirrel Girl, never aired, this role is probably her biggest to date. It has put her in a position of national attention. It should be something she should be able to be proud of.

If you look up Milana Vayntrub, or search "at&t girl" on YouTube, you'll discover that the internet has memeified her breasts. On YouTube, videos of her commercials all contain comments about her breasts, which people call "milkies" or "milkers." On Vayntrub's Instagram, people reply to her posts by spamming the glass of milk emoji. It's gotten so bad that AT&T is now disabling comments on social media content featuring Vayntrub's character, and Vayntrub herself addressed fans directly to say that this behavior hurts her.

During an Instagram Live video on August 23, Vayntrub said that she doesn't like the comments and wants them to stop. Watching the video is hard. As Vayntrub is talking about how she's overwhelmed and upset by this experience, the glass of milk emoji and comments about her breasts float by in the chat.

www.vice.com

The 'AT&T Girl' Knows You're Obsessed With Her

"Showing people I have feelings will just make them want to hurt my feelings even more."

Video of her discussing the meme during a Instragram Live chat:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Yeah that stuff was VILE. Just shared a photo of herself online, not asking for people to be disgusting.

You'll never see me coming to defend shitty human beings and their shitty ideals, but when I saw the same shit flying around on twitter toward Ben Shapiro's sister it was JUST AS vile. If it's sexist and harassment, it's sexist and harassment. Why are dudes so awful?

EDIT: and to be clear as to what kind of stuff i'm talking about, it's this new "milkers" nonsense people are spamming twitter and comments sections etc. with anytime there's a person with large breasts. it's 2020 and sexual harassment and sexism has become a meme. fucking wow.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
The internet is awful to almost all women and just a nightmare if they go viral.

When vile viral behavior like this pops off I don't get why these social media sites just let it slide.

I get they can't police everything but viral shit should be easy enough to rectify and ban assholes

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the live comments are horrible too when she's literally talking about the issue. Some even responding negatively to what she's saying. Absolutely horrid...

Nov 2, 2017
Sadly it's normal for busty women to be pretty much shamed and joked about, and otherwise featured as sex objects or jokes in media.

How many large-chested characters can you name that aren't just there for titillation or as a gag?

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
Jesus Christ, that's so sad. I'm in my mid-30s and have never watched live-streams on Twitch, Instagram etc, but it's just unfathomable that you work up the courage to speak out about a hurtful, blatantly sexist practice and then, for the entire duration of your heartfelt remarks, you are exposed to that practice in real time.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF??!

Being thirsty is one thing, but spamming the glass of milk emoji on her own social media? That's literally harassment

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
So I follow her on Instagram and happened to catch this live. It was tough to watch. I will give her credit, she is handling this situation perfectly. Her Instagram is a steady stream of BLM and other important social issues right now. So all those douches who follow her for the meme will either have to learn empathy for others or be chased away by the content. She is a great follow.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Fucking depressing video. The internet sucks.

This shit happens here too...not targeting this person, but in general. That gross breastmilk thread just happened. Consider how you might make women reading that shit feel before you post or participate in it.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Man those comments..

I wanted to cry for her. Man, she's super tough for taking this vulnerable moment. Shame her "fans" used it to do the very thing she was asking them not to. The internet was a mistake

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sharing this thread again because it's so sad that boys revert back to caveman software when it comes to this sorta thing.

Poor girl. I don't know at what point in history we got to men needing to openly brag about how dirty/thirsty they are all the fucking time, but it's damn gross.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Culture is broken. The only place I see this actress anymore (because I don't watch TV) is in those viral link-farm ad tables, where it's like "you won't believe what the AT&T girl wore on the red carpet!"

It goes farther and deeper than gross internet trolls. It's foundational.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was awful to watch :(

She's expressing how people's actions aren't funny anymore and they are dehumanizing her... yet the chat keeps doing it

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
My heart goes out to her, dudes on the internet don't know how to be decent. Anybody that wants to check out more of her stuff, she had a youtube channel some years ago called Live Prude Girls. The "Let's Talk About Something More Interesting" series is pretty great, big Between Two Ferns vibes. That's how I originally found out about her, didn't know about the AT&T commercials til way later.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most normal people when we seeing an attractive person would simply think "wow she's hot" and move on. Why are we harassing people for merely existing? These must be some incels that have nothing else to do but harass people. I honestly think they should all be exposed so they can receive their proper consequences.

Nov 5, 2017
That was hard to watch, especially with the milk glass emojis continually popping up as she's literally fighting back tears. And what recourse does she really have, other than maybe making her social media accounts private?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's like digital catcalling - I honestly can't even imagine what drives people to do it. Like, yeah, I get being attracted to people, but I don't get the impulse to immediately shout or whistle of spam messages or whatever else people do. What are you hoping to gain? What do you get out of it? And doubly so when it's obvious the target is upset by what you're doing.

Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately, there's a segment of "people" who don't look at Milana Vayntrub as an human being. They only see her as an advertisement. It's unfortunately, the sad price of celebrity. It really needs to change. My heart goes out to her. I really love her work in the AT&T commercials and Other Space.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
I stumbled upon this Vice article early this morning. Actress Milana Vayntrub, who is best known for her AT&T commercials, has been the subject of memes about her breasts. She responded to it recently on Instragram, describing the hurt that it has been causing her and asking her audience to stop spreading the memes.

www.vice.com

The 'AT&T Girl' Knows You're Obsessed With Her

"Showing people I have feelings will just make them want to hurt my feelings even more."

Video of her discussing the meme during a Instragram Live chat:

That was hard to watch. People were posting glasses of milk or laughing emojis. Pathetic.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I love her in pretty much everything she's done. Horrible this happened to her. Humans are trash.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I understand now why Billie Eilish kept herself covered up for so long with the baggy clothes. When I saw that video where she disrobed, it all became clear. These women aren't actually viewed as people, with fears and hopes and dreams and flaws.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's so fucking sad and disgusting that people have been doing this to her (and many other women on the internet). Just gross and cowardly. What shitstains.

I met Milana randomly one day a few years ago. I was outside our office taking a smoke break (back when I used to smoke), and she was going to the building next door, and I struck up a conversation with her about her work voicing Squirrel Girl, and how we hope to put SG in our game one day (we finally did this year!), and she was just such a kind, sweet person.

Her activism work has also been fucking awesome, and we need more people like her using her profile to spread awareness. The harassment she gets is just pathetic. Nobody deserves this kind of shit.

Last edited:

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
So that explains why I have been seeing her picture pop up in clickbait. I was like why are they putting her picture everywhere?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
This is sad, but good for her for drawing attention to how hurtful this can be. I think it's easy to dehumanize people on the internet and forget you can actually be affecting someone, especially for celebrities. And then there's the added element of sexism and dudes just feeling entitled to saying whatever they want.
I might think stuff about her physical appearance, but spamming shit on her page is not ok.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a real problem. Sexual harassment in the workplace is being rightfully cracked down upon, but it's gaining steam online. None of these people would say "milkers" to her face, and if they did they'd hopefully get their ass beat. There needs to be better laws to protect against this stuff.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The fact that she needs to make this video is depressing as fuck.

Very brave of her to do this.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real problem. Sexual harassment in the workplace is being rightfully cracked down upon, but it's gaining steam online. None of these people would say "milkers" to her face, and if they did they'd hopefully get their ass beat. There needs to be better laws to protect against this stuff.
The internet is fostering this shit, a generation of men that only interact with women via monetary transactions on a stream.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I saw all the comments on the AT&T Facebook ads. People are just shitty.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
It really does suck. This is also why we moderated the 'News - Dutch researchers find antibodies against coronavirus in breast milk' thread so heavily and locked it. This kind of behavior hurts women, even if it's done as a "joke".

The joke sucks. It's not funny to be reduced down to whatever organs some men find sexually appealing in practically any space you try to be in. It's tiring. It's dehumanizing.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I feel really bad for her. She seems like a sweet person and is reaching out all on her own and asking these trolls to stop, or at least asking for advice.

I imagine when she landed the AT&T ad she was incredibly excited and happy for the exposure and was maybe getting somewhere in her career, and now she probably regrets it because fucking creeps on the internet are just obsessed.

Social media is a mistake.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
She has a really interesting background and does a lot of great work in activism so it's sad that people fixate on a singular thing about her body and then be shitty about it.

My wife has large breasts and works in a male-dominated industry, and even though she's fierce as fuck she does get worn down by dudes staring at her chest all the time.