• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Of course it's an attempted coup.

For a coup to work you need to have the armed insurrection with political hostages, allowing them to halt the legal handover to the new president indefinitely, then you need people that identify themselves as loyalists to the leader (the politicians perpetuating the 'stop the steal' lie) that will state that the other political party is treasonous. Then you make examples of the people that are disloyal (politicians that are willing to admit that Biden won the election) by jailing them or worse. Anyone that doesn't state their absolute loyalty at that point is then implicated as being in on the plot against the leader attempting the coup, and they are jailed or executed for treason.
After that democracy is out of the picture forever.

If you haven't seen the chilling, and just as public way that Saddam Hussein executed his coup, then I urge you to watch this video. It doesn't show it but Saddam forced all of the remaining politicians to personally execute the other politicians who were implicated, thereby making them absolutely complicit, and forced to maintain the new regime or become criminals.

It might seem like a far fetched story, but it's all done step by step, right out of the authoritarian playbook.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018
Of course it's an attempted coup.

For a coup to work you need to have the armed insurrection with political hostages, allowing them to halt the legal handover to the new president indefinitely, then you need people that identify themselves as loyalists to the leader (the politicians perpetuating the 'stop the steal' lie) that will state that the other political party is treasonous. Then you make examples of the people that are disloyal (politicians that are willing to admit that Biden won the election) by jailing them or worse. Anyone that doesn't state their absolute loyalty at that point is then implicated as being in on the plot against the leader attempting the coup, and they are jailed or executed for treason.
After that democracy is out of the picture forever.

If you haven't seen the chilling, and just as public way that Saddam Hussein executed his coup, then I urge you to watch this video. It doesn't show it but Saddam forced all of the remaining politicians to personally execute the other politicians who were implicated, thereby making them absolutely complicit, and forced to maintain the new regime or become criminals.

It might seem like a far fetched story, but it's all done step by step, right out of the authoritarian playbook.

Holy shit! I was literally just about to post this exact same video and talk about it! Saw a new reply, and here you are!

Here's what I was coming up with :

I was recently introduced to this video of Christopher Hitchens talking about Saddam's rise to power in Iraq (I know that Hitchens has valid detractors of his own for many reasons, and that he was in particularly disappointing on Islam, but this clip is impactful).

VIDEO

I've been digging through quite a bit of this type of stuff this past week (Iraq, Russia, American Civil War, Syrian Civil War, etc) but nothing has struck me as much as this.

This is what these fucking republicans wanted here. This is what Trump was praying the endgame would be. We are here in America. He may still get it.

I have so much more adoration for the Dems now. More than I ever thought possible. We can't afford to lose even one of them to these bastards. Don't know how I would react if I turned on the TV and saw AOC/Pelosi/Tlaib/Etc being led out of the Chamber like this. Matter of fact, to hell with me, How would left America react? Since we seemingly have conceded on firearms/self-defense, what can we realisticly do once these fascist (Not just Trump specifics, but militias, law enforcement, MILITARY, etc) actually do complete their takeover?

We basically only have pop culture entertainment. We may have more raw number media members, but the right has shown that they can basically make up for this by focusing all of their attention on a few sources. Even then, these pillars of culture (Entertainment, media, and I'll throw in academics) tend to get dismantled quickly under regimes.

I'm basically just holding onto the hope that people will ease back into some semblance of good-faith after Covid ends. But when the hell is that going to be? And with so many against the vaccine, doesn't feel like "back to regular life" is going to be a savior anytime soon.

We are in SO DEEP at this point. Doesn't feel like there's any turning back.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just seeing this for the first time on Era. This should be on the front page of every legitimate paper in this country. Christ...this explains so much. We're spending so much time focusing on the morons who got in and committed acts of vandalism when the focus should be on this. This is terrifying.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I have so much more adoration for the Dems now. More than I ever thought possible. We can't afford to lose even one of them to these bastards. Don't know how I would react if I turned on the TV and saw AOC/Pelosi/Tlaib/Etc being led out of the Chamber like this. Matter of fact, to hell with me, How would left America react? Since we seemingly have conceded on firearms/self-defense, what can we realisticly do once these fascist (Not just Trump specifics, but militias, law enforcement, MILITARY, etc) actually do complete their takeover?

I mean, not all of the left.

time.com

Racial Tension is Behind a Rise in Black Gun Ownership

The face of gun ownership in America is changing, and Black men and women are a big part of that

Sadly, I would say less about 'They saw this coming' but more along the lines of 'This has happened before'.

www.smithsonianmag.com

One Hundred Years Ago, a Four-Day Race Riot Engulfed Washington, D.C.

Rumors ran wild as white mobs assaulted black residents who in turn fought back, refusing to be intimidated

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! I was literally just about to post this exact same video and talk about it! Saw a new reply, and here you are!

Here's what I was coming up with :

I was recently introduced to this video of Christopher Hitchens talking about Saddam's rise to power in Iraq (I know that Hitchens has valid detractors of his own for many reasons, and that he was in particularly disappointing on Islam, but this clip is impactful).

VIDEO

I've been digging through quite a bit of this type of stuff this past week (Iraq, Russia, American Civil War, Syrian Civil War, etc) but nothing has struck me as much as this.

This is what these fucking republicans wanted here. This is what Trump was praying the endgame would be. We are here in America. He may still get it.

We basically only have pop culture entertainment. We may have more raw number media members, but the right has shown that they can basically make up for this by focusing all of their attention on a few sources. Even then, these pillars of culture (Entertainment, media, and I'll throw in academics) tend to get dismantled quickly under regimes.

I'm basically just holding onto the hope that people will ease back into some semblance of good-faith after Covid ends. But when the hell is that going to be? And with so many against the vaccine, doesn't feel like "back to regular life" is going to be a savior anytime soon.

We are in SO DEEP at this point. Doesn't feel like there's any turning back.
This anti-government undercurrent has been growing for years and it is not going anywhere soon. We need to work on defeating it, not getting back to normal or it will continue to fester.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, Dems are "expected" to move closer to Repubs in order to heal, while some of said Repubs were actively trying to get their colleagues killed because of a different political view and party.

They should lock them all up to "heal" ...

Boy, Biden has some tough job awaiting, all the best to him and Harris, really.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aryanna Presley's chief of staff says their panic buttons were removed from their offices -before- the attack.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Add this to the missing panic buttons (which may have an innocent reason, but I'm inclined to believe it's not innocent) and you see there was a concerted effort to stage a coup on the 6th.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If this is all true, we better see them dragged in front of a court.

In the case of Clyburn it's clear that someone told them where he primarily works

"My office, if you don't know where it is, you aren't going to find it by accident," he said. "The one place where my name is on the door, that office is right on Statuary Hall. They didn't touch that door. But they went into that other place where I do most of my work. They showed up there, harassing my staff."

"How did they know to go there? Why didn't they go where my name was?" he added.

"Something else is going on untoward here," he said. "We need to have an extensive investigation to find out."

www.yahoo.com

House Majority Whip Wants Investigation into How Rioters Found His Office

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D., S.C.) on Friday called for an investigation into how rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol earlier this week knew where to find his office.In an interview with SiriusXM Radio’s Joe Madison, Clyburn said that he had never before seen such a failure of...

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Not a surprise at all. This was absolutely an "inside job." A group of protestors/rioters is not going to be able to storm and ransack the Capitol like this unless people want it to happen.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
(Removed due to incorrect sourcing)

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

There will be comeuppance, almost certainly.

I think this needs to extend to the organizers of the rally as well... it was literally put on by a PAC run by the GOP Attorneys General!

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill

They had intel for sure, they knew to tear out the panic buttons my lord

I don't know how they're wired over there, but isn't it customary for security devices like that to go off when they drop their signal? Tearing them off while these things are "armed" would be the same as pushing the button directly.

*edit*
Looking into it, it looks like it's not necessarily standard practice for panic buttons.

Last edited:

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Proud to have her as my rep <3

EDIT: Referring to Sherrill, if that wasn't obvious

Last edited:

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be surprised if there are any consequences for congressmen. Any serious consequences at least.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Forensically, it's going to be hard to hide between :
- cross referencing "foreign" mobile lines that registered in Congress on both the eve and the attack. Particularly considering there's supposed to be no visitors.
- Visitor logs, and crossing the list with known suspects. You'd know who let them in.
- CCTVs.
- texts / phone logs of suspects

And whatever else we don't even know about. I'm going to assume the most dangerous ones were careful planners and didn't bring phones on either day, were wearing caps, etc. but still, if I was a Republican accomplice I'd be shitting my pants.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Call me crazy but associating yourself with a paramilitary group whose goal is to overthrow a government is a step up over having a photo taken with a gang.

not crazy, just relating it back to "if they were black"

Just imagine if any black member of congress was seen bring friendly and inviting to known gang members, flashing gang signs in the pic, giving them tours of the building, and then the next day they did some heinous shit like this..... would we have to wait this many days before they were publicly called out and worse?

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
At first I looked at it as idiots making a scene with a few bad actors who really wanted to cause harm. Now it's clear this had planning and the intent really was to overthrow the government. These people need to be hung, figuratively speaking.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it does seem like there's a ton of evidence against certain members of congress. pretty hard to ignore all these signs

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope that people on the left don't start doing the exact shit that we've been going after the right for doing the last 2 months and spreading misinformation. What happened a week ago was bad enough without needing to exaggerate details or do no fact checking at all.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
what an asshole. did he just circle random people in the picture as well?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the people in the picture from 2019 that are circled have now been found to have been part of the attack on the Capitol, so while it's misleading to say it was recent, it still shows a link between her and the terrorists.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope that people on the left don't start doing the exact shit that we've been going after the right for doing the last 2 months and spreading misinformation. What happened a week ago was bad enough without needing to exaggerate details or do no fact checking at all.
Yup. Just report the truth, it's already damning enough. No need to fight fire with fire here.